• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion These are Nintendo's big eight franchises. Thoughts?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2022/220412.html#:~:text=Nintendo Co., Ltd.,,integrated hardware and software products.
https://www.convergent.com.sg/brands-partners/nintendo/
https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...-Cast-for-the-Super-Mario-Bros.-Animated-Film

In Nintendo's latest press releases they highlight eight specific franchises as "household names". These are:
  • Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Metroid
  • Pokemon
  • Animal Crossing
  • Pikmin
  • Splatoon
Why these franchises in particular? Could this give an indication of Nintendo's future projects? What else could this mean?

It’s very peculiar Nintendo would pick out these specific franchises to group together. Pokémon has never been developed in-house. Pikmin is clearly far less relevant than the other franchises. Donkey Kong hasn’t had a new release in ages. And the franchises that aren’t in this list raise further eyebrows: Wii Sports, Smash Bros., Kirby, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade to name a few. It’ll be interesting to see how this list changes in the future, if at all.

Funny enough I would think Fire Emblem or Xenoblade would be bigger than Pikmin somehow. Fire Emblem mainly due to the Smash stuff and all :D

Donkey Kong is definitely one of their most recognisable franchises/brands, but why then do Nintendo do so little with it?

In terms of new mainline Donkey Kong games...

DK 64 in 1999
DKC Returns in 2010
Tropical Freeze in 2014

That hardly suggests a leading franchise/brand. In fact, it's surely the biggest mishandling of a franchise/brand by Nintendo to date.

Again, can't deny it should be on the list... but where are the Donkey Kong games?!

Donkey Kong is definitely one of their most recognisable franchises/brands, but why then do Nintendo do so little with it?

DK 64 in 1999
DKC Returns in 2010
Tropical Freeze in 2014

That hardly suggests a leading franchise/brand. In fact, it's surely the biggest mishandling of a franchise/brand by Nintendo to date.

Again, can't deny it should be on the list... but where are the Donkey Kong games?!
No inhouse studios that have the chops to do it. We had rare, they left. We had retro, they got tired of it.

DK 64 in 1999
DKC Returns in 2010
Tropical Freeze in 2014

You can do the same for Metroid/Pikmin and most Nintendo EPD series outside Mario/Zelda/Animal Crossing and now Splatoon. Nintendo has resources issues in making games for all their franchises, if rumors are true they are bringing it in-house and probably that means it will have a team to make mainline entries always

I don't think a series that has only cracked 2 mil once can sincerely be considered among Nintendo's "top eight", given their library. Kirby, Star Fox and Fire Emblem have all done that on multiple occasions, and just have more titles too. And that's without even considering Nintendo's casual series.

I think Pikmin is there because it's EPD and Nintendo has current plans for it.

Until its announced its "just" a rumour. Even if its real, they wouldnt necessarily make the thing fans want. Could be another jungle blast lmao
I know its not confirmed or anything but EPD Tokyo is a GOAT studio. I think a DK game from them would be excellent. No matter the direction they take with it.

DK 64 in 1999
DKC Returns in 2010
Tropical Freeze in 2014

tbh I think Jungle Beat should count as a mainline platformer, yeah it's build around bongo controls, but nonetheless it's still a platformer made by EAD Tokyo, even got a stage back in Smash Bros. Brawl.

But yes, as other people have pointed out, DK just doesn't have a consistent home for it anymore.

Metroid is a little niche, but I feel like Dread and Prime 4 could help make it a bigger IP. Dread did very well for what it is.

I would swap Pikmin with Xenoblade as well. I feel like this IP is gaining traction, and it is still relevant in the current market. Pikmin 4 was supposedly near complete for the WiiU...yet is still MIA. It had its time in the sum sure, but it isn't an IP I think about when I say Nintendo anymore.

(yes I am Xenoblade bias, but my point stands)

I wouldn’t read too much into it, other than perhaps NCL has identified those franchises as the ones with the most “cross over” potential in other media projects.

Honestly, I don't think you can really group it into 8 categories. Feels like the clearly defined top tier franchises are Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and Smash (six if you consider Mario Kart separate).

I don't really see the motivation to force an additional 3 franchises in there when they'll be a clear step below. Maybe Splatoon, but I don't think it's quite there just yet.

DK 64 in 1999
DKC Returns in 2010
Tropical Freeze in 2014

Dedicated areas at multiple theme parks, a new game in development by EPD Tokyo, and rumors of a spin-off movie all point to an IP that Nintendo realizes is high potential and must invest in more.

Metroid is a little niche, but I feel like Dread and Prime 4 could help make it a bigger IP. Dread did very well for what it is.

I would swap Pikmin with Xenoblade as well. I feel like this IP is gaining traction, and it is still relevant in the current market. Pikmin 4 was supposedly near complete for the WiiU...yet is still MIA. It had its time in the sum sure, but it isn't an IP I think about when I say Nintendo anymore.

(yes I am Xenoblade bias, but my point stands)
Xenoblade is co-owned with Monolith Soft which even if owned by NCL it is It’s own company. The IPs there are 100% owned by Nintendo

pd: due to owning Monolith Soft Nintendo of course has 100% controll over the IP I’m not saying it isnt the case but they basically let Monolith Soft manage it themselves like they do with Kirby and Hal Or FE and IS

I wouldn’t read too much into it, other than perhaps NCL has identified those franchises as the ones with the most “cross over” potential in other media projects.
100% this. Samus is an iconic character and one who could headline a mainstream film. It’s very clear that Nintendo has big plans for the Metroid IP moving forward and is willing to make big investments in it. I mean, we already got Dread and should get Prime Remastered & Prime at some point this generation. Nintendo wouldn’t sign off on three releases for a historically low selling franchise if there wasn’t more mainstream appeal here.

I still think Nintendo is leaving money on the table by not investing further in Star Fox. I think you have to mix the gameplay formula to be more modern, but the characters and world could make for a great TV series on something like Netflix and there would be potential for toys, comics, etc. I think buy Zippo as a legit insider, but hopefully there is a new Star Fox in development.

36M views Pikmin video JP only :p
Pikmin has huge potential as a media franchise that is why it is in the list

pd: Animated by Dynamo Pictures

Dedicated areas at multiple theme parks, a new game in development by EPD Tokyo, and rumors of a spin-off movie all point to an IP that Nintendo realizes is high potential and must invest in more.
Yep, it shouldn't be long until we see the Donkey Kong franchise get back on it's feet again. We could potentially see it join the 10 million+ club in the future if Nintendo plays their cards right.

Donkey Kong is Nintendo's most mismanaged franchise by far. When you consider the mainstream success and popularity the brand had from its inception until the year 2000, it makes a strong argument that this could've been a 20m+ seller in the modern gaming landscape had things gone differently. The franchise used to keep up with the two main EAD franchises at the time in Mario and Zelda in regards to sales and recognition, and look where they are today on the Switch after the level of care Nintendo had given them over time.

Obviously if a new "AAA" DK were made today I doubt it would come anywhere close to that upper echelon of Nintendo games, it would be lucky to be a 10m+ hit and join the likes of Luigi's Mansion or Splatoon. But that just goes to show how much the franchise's value has degraded and I'd argue that's entirely due to a lack of consistent, quality product more than the brand appeal itself.

Donkey Kong is Nintendo's most mismanaged franchise by far. When you consider the mainstream success and popularity the brand had from its inception until the year 2000, it makes a strong argument that this could've been a 20m+ seller in the modern gaming landscape had things gone differently. The franchise used to keep up with the two main EAD franchises at the time in Mario and Zelda in regards to sales and recognition, and look where they are today on the Switch after the level of care Nintendo had given them over time.

Obviously if a new "AAA" DK were made today I doubt it would come anywhere close to that upper echelon of Nintendo games, it would be lucky to be a 10m+ hit and join the likes of Luigi's Mansion or Splatoon. But that just goes to show how much the franchise's value has degraded and I'd argue that's entirely due to a lack of consistent, quality product more than the brand appeal itself.
I think DK has lots of potential to become a 10m+ (or close to it, at least) seller with a good, ambitious 3d game. The issue, of course, is whether or not Nintendo will actually make one lol.

Xenoblade is co-owned with Monolith Soft which even if owned by NCL it is It’s own company. The IPs there are 100% owned by Nintendo

pd: due to owning Monolith Soft Nintendo of course has 100% controll over the IP I’m not saying it isnt the case but they basically let Monolith Soft manage it themselves like they do with Kirby and Hal Or FE and IS
Monolith Soft is a 1st party dev, so it is still Nintendo. Hal on the other hand is a 2nd party dev team, so it isn't exactly the same scenario.

Whether one agrees with that list or not, I think they all seem to represent all the different leading genres/characters well. It's not about sales it's about what's easily recognizable. Their gameplay is masterclass and the IPs are possibly the kings of the their genres and stand out in people's minds when they think of the company. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

In another timeline where Rare isn't gutted of talent and eventually bought by Microsoft, I think Donkey Kong would be a lot bigger in 2022. Despite some of DK64's faults, you can't say that Rare did a bad job with the IP. The DKC trilogy and the racing game were great, and 64 was a decent game at its core. Donkey Kong could have remained Rare's baby and flourished.

Dream scenario: Donkey Kong remained under Rare's care and Retro Studios stuck with Metroid. What a duo that could have been.

100% this. Samus is an iconic character and one who could headline a mainstream film. It’s very clear that Nintendo has big plans for the Metroid IP moving forward and is willing to make big investments in it. I mean, we already got Dread and should get Prime Remastered & Prime at some point this generation. Nintendo wouldn’t sign off on three releases for a historically low selling franchise if there wasn’t more mainstream appeal here.
The only people who Samus is iconic too are enthusiast gamers unless we are using the Ubisoft definition of iconic. Metroid was always going to get games since both Tanabe & Sakamoto had plans for the series going into the future. The issue with Metroid is to become mainstream it is going to have to do thing fans won’t like especially if Samus is headlining a film.

I remember in the Wii era I thought a Super Mario Galaxy-esque entry in the Donkey Kong franchise was gonna be EAD's next project following Super Mario Galaxy 1. We still haven't gotten a big 3D DK game since the 90s.

I remember in the Wii era I thought a Super Mario Galaxy-esque entry in the Donkey Kong franchise was gonna be EAD's next project following Super Mario Galaxy 1. We still haven't gotten a big 3D DK game since the 90s.

Yeah, DK64 released 23 years ago its insane there hasn't been a new 3D DK.

In another timeline where Rare isn't gutted of talent and eventually bought by Microsoft, I think Donkey Kong would be a lot bigger in 2022. Despite some of DK64's faults, you can't say that Rare did a bad job with the IP. The DKC trilogy and the racing game were great, and 64 was a decent game at its core. Donkey Kong could have remained Rare's baby and flourished.

Dream scenario: Donkey Kong remained under Rare's care and Retro Studios stuck with Metroid. What a duo that could have been.
Retro was tired of metroid, that universe was never going to happen. They would just find another ip to do.

Back
Top Bottom