• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion There is a suspiciously large gap between NWC and Echoes of Wisdom.

I wouldn't look too deep into it.

-As others have said, this is the last full year of the Switch being Nintendo's main focus. Releases will slow down.
-August is generally a dead month for retail. Outside of January, it is the worst month of the year for retail spending unless it is tied to back to school.
-Nintendo will probably slip the basketball update for Switch Sports into August.

We might see a shadow drop in the September direct, but I wouldn't fret too much over the gap.

Pokemon Classic

Experience all the Pokemon games from the Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS with online multiplayer features and Pokemon Home compatibility

Releasing in August a couple of weeks after the usual Pokemon Presents for Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack
They wouldn't include the DS games because it would cut into BDSP remake sales. It would be GameBoy and GameBoy Advance at best

I'm thinking I am accepting the fact that we may be getting a shadowdrop reveal later in this year, and its release depends if the direct is a partners or not.

Game Cube NSO ;-)

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised by a shadow drop of NSO titles, or a small Dream Buffet sized spinoff. But I expect nothing. Nintendo has 10 titles this year, and they've just spread them out for "good early summer" and "good holiday" and left August, the throws of American school vacation, empty.

On the other hand, Mario & Luigi: Brothership isn't an obvious big seller for a November slot; though if the game is good and really resonates then it might recapture the success Bowser's Inside Story saw, but you have to wonder if people will feel a little Mario RPG'd out.
The cascade of Mario RPG titles is wild, but if I had to guess, the timing is all about "what games do we have to release." Nintendo's productivity, and willingness to bank titles has been pretty amazing, and I've given up on guessing "how many titles are left," but getting close to the end of the generation, flexibility to release titles has to come down as the reserves get tapped.

The cascade of Mario RPG titles is wild, but if I had to guess, the timing is all about "what games do we have to release." Nintendo's productivity, and willingness to bank titles has been pretty amazing, and I've given up on guessing "how many titles are left," but getting close to the end of the generation, flexibility to release titles has to come down as the reserves get tapped.
I think you're right, but the point I didn't do a good job of making was that I think Nintendo are happy to prioritise the new games for the holiday season over the re-releases. For example, DKCR HD could be a reliable solid seller and an appealing title for the mainstream market in the holiday season. Perhaps it genuinely isn't ready to launch any earlier, but I think it's interesting that game is holding down the fort in January while the new games get the benefit of the holiday season build up.

it's not only Nintendo. everyone's taking a break in July and August

only game I'm playing for both months is Kunitsu-Gami and that's on July 19th.

I think you're right, but the point I didn't do a good job of making was that I think Nintendo are happy to prioritise the new games for the holiday season over the re-releases. For example, DKCR HD could be a reliable solid seller and an appealing title for the mainstream market in the holiday season. Perhaps it genuinely isn't ready to launch any earlier, but I think it's interesting that game is holding down the fort in January while the new games get the benefit of the holiday season build up.
Yeah, totally agree. The schedule seems teed up to backload all the new games into the holiday run up.

The schedule seems teed up to backload all the new games into the holiday run up.
IIRC the holiday shopping season is when Nintendo makes the bulk of their money so having a slate of games ready by November is their usual plan. Early Q1 releases are things for people to buy when they've played all their holiday gits.

it's not only Nintendo. everyone's taking a break in July and August

only game I'm playing for both months is Kunitsu-Gami and that's on July 19th.
I might actually finish Unicorn Overlord and Baldur's Gate 3 thanks to the break! Not sure about the rest of my Pile, though...

Pokemon Classic

Experience all the Pokemon games from the Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS with online multiplayer features and Pokemon Home compatibility

Releasing in August a couple of weeks after the usual Pokemon Presents for Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack
I'm of the mindset that this may be exactly what's coming. Pokemon Presents will almost certainly be early August and I wouldn't be shocked if that was something they announced, especially with the gap between PLZ-A and whatever will come later from them.

I don't think it's a great chance, but Pokemon Colosseum & XD remasters would be great.

What I think is more likely is something Mystery Dungeon.

I'd be happy with some substantial (or at the bare minimum consistent) NSO updates with no roadmap reveal from the Direct, but I feel like a quick and dirty Gamecube port as a shadowdrop would be enough to keep some momentum going.

Chibi Robo, $30USD with widescreen and upscaled resolution. Bam, easy squeasy.

Good. We need a breather before the Fall onslaught of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom, SMP Jamboree and Mario & Luigi: We Never Left!

and that's not including other releases not by them too.

Last edited:
I am kinda ok with that. I know I am going to be picking up every game this holiday season for switch, plus I still have a back log of games to work on as well. I still have to beat pikmin 4 for crying out loud haha. I think having one month without a major release isn't going to hurt nintendo.

Only thing I can think of is a Pokémon Presents that shadow drops the classic Pokémon games or something like that.

Else perfect timing to tease a new system.

Don’t they usually skip an August release or release small eshop games/casual games. Since they don’t usually announce those at directs.

I don't think it's very suspicious, and if anything I'm more surprised that we are getting 3 original games back-to-back for Switch even though they've acknowledged Switch 2 for the first time. I was expecting a lot more ports and remasters for this Direct. I guess if they really wanted, they could shadow drop WWHD/TPHD or MP2+MP3 HD in this time. I have a hard time believing they're going to release MP4 without making the entire trilogy playable on Switch, given Metroid Prime Trilogy is now 15 years old and the Wii U rerelease is 9 years old.

I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but we're about to have one of the largest gaps between two First Party releases of the Switch generation.
Nintendo World Championship: July 18th
Echoes of Wisdom: September 26th

That's 70 days of no new First Party games releasing, and AFAIK not even a third party exclusive.

Do you guys think it's just a coincidence, or is Nintendo hiding a secret August/Early September game?
I think maybe a small game that gets an announcement out of nowhere, but it could be nothing too. I have heaps of indie games to catch up on so I'll be happy either way

Back
Top Bottom