• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion There is a suspiciously large gap between NWC and Echoes of Wisdom.

Homura

Moblin
Pronouns
he/him
I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but we're about to have one of the largest gaps between two First Party releases of the Switch generation.
Nintendo World Championship: July 18th
Echoes of Wisdom: September 26th

That's 70 days of no new First Party games releasing, and AFAIK not even a third party exclusive.

Do you guys think it's just a coincidence, or is Nintendo hiding a secret August/Early September game?

I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but we're about to have one of the largest gaps between two First Party releases of the Switch generation.

That's 70 days of no new First Party games releasing, and AFAIK not even a third party exclusive.

Do you guys think it's just a coincidence, or is Nintendo hiding a secret August/Early September game?
Coincidence. It's the last year of the Switchs life.

We're at the end of switch life. They just prioritized last part of the year to have a nice last holiday period.
Even NWC is a small scale project.

Good chance of an early September game being shadowdropped during a Direct imo

Or another Kirby eShop game getting announced out of nowhere

I bet it's neither: they'll announce the successor system in the second half of August ahead of TGS
Yeah, honestly, Switch 2 time makes the most sense looking at this gap. I didn’t even realize how big it was. And they definitely would’ve announced something today if they had it.

And a September direct first party shadow drop would be too close to EoW

One possibility is a Pokemon title, not a mainline game, but there's been a suspicious lack of any retail title this year, and I can't recall the last time we went a year without one. Perhaps the Pokemon Presents in August will announce a spin-off to fit into that gap.

Pretty sure there's something left to announce - either via PR, pokemon presents or perhaps an indie colab announced prior to gamescom. There's been indie events in august prior.

Succ wont be revealed until early 2025.

Not suspicious at all, really.

Nintendo frequently skip August for combined physical/digital releases and last summer had a near identical gap between the launch of Pikmin 4 in July and the physical edition of Pikmin 1+2 in September. In fact, Nintendo went from Pikmin 4 in July all the way through to Detective Pikachu Returns in early October last year with only the physical Pikmin 1+2 to fill the gap.

There's also a few options if they do want to something in summer, like a 2.0 update and physical release for F ZERO 99, or dropping a Pokemon spinoff on the eShop when Pokemon Presents happens, or HAL launching a digital Kirby spin off out the blue.

I think this is maybe the victim of the Switch 2‘s delay. Nintendo normally puts out 12 games a year, this year it’s going to be 10. Entirely possible they’ve had to stretch the games they had ever so slightly with the new system slipping from this year to next.

pushmo shadowdrop during a indie direct in August

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is switch exclusive: June 25, 2024

Early September Switch 2 reveal.

If that was the case, they could plan for Switch 1 pricedrops and Nintendo Selects announcements shortly after. That could work too instead of a 1st party release in that timeframe.

Last edited:
I could see HAL having a new eshop only Kirby game. It's a yearly franchise, it's weird there haven't been any this year. They always have a little game if it's not a big game year.

What does interest me about Nintendo's releases this year is the decision to park most of their original releases together in that all-important run up to the holiday season: Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom, Super Mario Party Jamboree and Mario & Luigi: Brothership getting pride of place in the release calendar. In the case of Zelda and Mario Party that's really not surprising - under the right circumstances both games could clear 5 million sales this holiday season; really, Party should manage that while it's more of a question for Zelda, but the new gameplay and shift in playable character could do the trick.

On the other hand, Mario & Luigi: Brothership isn't an obvious big seller for a November slot; though if the game is good and really resonates then it might recapture the success Bowser's Inside Story saw, but you have to wonder if people will feel a little Mario RPG'd out. In Japan, Dragon Quest III will do enormous numbers and outperform any other Switch release at the end of the year, so Nintendo have that market in the bag as usual.

Nintendo fans always seem to forget they skip months most years. They almost never have a 100% monthly release calendar, especially on slower years like this one.

Doesn't seem odd for a console in its 8th year. Releases will be a little more thinned and spaced out.

Get used to it. With rising costs and longer dev cycles, we'll have even more gaps like that with the successor. As long as the system and its games sell well, it's no problem for Nintendo.

Coincidence. It's the last year of the Switchs life.
Why do people say this, knowing full-well ALL remasters, and whatever casual games will benefit from S2 backward compatibility, but won't rely on it to perform, are going to Switch and not Switch 2 for the next few years.

The Switch can lose half of it's base on January 1st, and the Switch 2 still won't sell that many consoles until 2028-2029, the earliest.

I’m still betting on MP2+3 Remastered to come to the Switch ahead of MP4. Wouldn’t be surprised if we see a new trailer for MP4 in a September Direct and then a shadow drop for MP2+3 with less work done than the whole MPR project,

On the other hand, Mario & Luigi: Brothership isn't an obvious big seller for a November slot; though if the game is good and really resonates then it might recapture the success Bowser's Inside Story saw, but you have to wonder if people will feel a little Mario RPG'd out. In Japan, Dragon Quest III will do enormous numbers and outperform any other Switch release at the end of the year, so Nintendo have that market in the bag as usual.

I'm not surprised that they would have decided to try a mario and Luigi game as the end of year title: the top 3 selling turn based traditional mario RPGs prior to the switch were all mario and Luigi games, with BIS at 4.56m, dream team at 2.67m and superstar saga just barely inching out the original SNES mario RPG at 2.15m Vs 2.14m.

Mario RPG got to be a November title last year and a brand new mario and Luigi should do at least that well

I don't think "secret game" is accurate, but August is a great time to shadowdrop a remaster, with a Twitter drop - particularly if they intentionally wanted to not make this Direct remaster heavy, assuming the early September gap means Switch will be getting shadowdrops (Metroid Prime 1&2, Wind Waker, and/or Twilight Princess - basically games that have been completed for some time) in the Direct.

They are clearing the decks for Blade Chimera in August

(Or at least, I am) :)

Blade Chimera and World of Goo 2 are going to carry August for me as is. Super hyped for both!

I imagine we’ll get some cool NSO drop of some kind plus the Switch Sports Basketball update from Nintendo then. I also keep kicking around the possibility of Mother 3 as a standalone purchase similar to how they handled NES Fire Emblem.

Skipping August isn’t the worst thing in the world. I feel like there was nothing in August last year which is why people suggested I try my hand at the general discussion ST that month.

And as pointed out already, a 70 day gap is nothing compared to the Wii U era. Even the start of this year has been kinda barren in terms of first party titles.

Wasn't there a 3 month gap between Yoshi's Crafted World and Mario Maker 2?

August is usually empty. I think the last August game was like Astral Chain and before that, I think it was only a couple 3DS games that had August launches (plus Pikmin 3/Wonderful 101 depending on region)

HD-wallpaper-glen-quagmire-glen-family-quagmire-guy.jpg

We all know what's going here. It's just implied but we all know what's going on...

Nintendo went all in on "download more RAM" research and the "Switch 2" will shadowdrop as a Firmware update in August

They also skipped April this year, right?

I'm not inclined to read too much into it. They usually aim for a game a month but they don't always hit that mark, and I think this year they're prioritizing shoring up their fall lineup going into (what is probably) the last holiday where the Switch is their main concern

If they really wanna fill that month though, I could see a "big" NSO drop or some small eshop game happening (sorta like Kirby's Dream Buffet getting announced and released within like 2 months) to pad things out a bit

August is always a dead month for obvious reasons, and if a game comes out in August it’s on its last days to get an head up against a more stacked September (like astral chain or mario + rabbids).
I can see some hd port getting shadowdropped in september like what they did with pikmin 1+2, hoping to see prime 2+3 but who knows. In the end it’s not that big of a deal especially since the holiday period seems to be pretty stacked and that’s the important time of year.

I'd bet Pokemon TCG will launch in that opening, although not on Switch. The Splatoon 3 battle of the bands and season 9 should be in that gap too

Considering the next Direct is supposed to be at September, i am betting that this is just pure coincidence. This is likely Switch's last year, ain't going to be too packed (in the sense that there aren't crazy back-to-back releases, we still getting great stuff.)

After the recent Direct I'm not ruling out anything. There's no point in trying to predict what Nintendo will do.

Could be a big themed NSO drop
Pokemon Classic

Experience all the Pokemon games from the Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS with online multiplayer features and Pokemon Home compatibility

Releasing in August a couple of weeks after the usual Pokemon Presents for Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack

Isn’t it funny how Nintendo fans are treating a 70 day gap during the switches last year as noteworthy, while a 70 day gap between exclusives on PS or Xbox would be a godsend (not console waring, just pointing out hilarities when they arrive)

Back
Top Bottom