• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data The Verge Doug Bowser interview: Metroid Dread sold 854k units in October in the US

Linkstrikesback

Bounty Hunter
Pronouns
He

Outside of hardware, Nintendo noted that Metroid Dreadwhich launched alongside the OLED Switch on October 8th — sold 854,000 units in the US, making it “the best start for any Metroid game ever,” according to Bowser. Meanwhile, Animal Crossing: New Horizons received “a significant spike in people buying the game” after its final major update, according to Nintendo, though the company hasn’t released specific numbers on this. New Horizons is currently the second best-selling Switch game with nearly 35 million units sold globally.

Crushed prime, which did 360k or so, for comparison.

Last edited:
Sounds about right for 3+ million lifetime, a healthy bump for the series. Hopefully that audience is sustainable.

In the US alone, geez, this is gonna break the 1.5M I voted on without much issue.

This probably needs the "Sales" prefix added, just FYI.

Great news for my favorite Bounty Hunter, by the way. Here's to Metroid Millions

I mean, Doug Bowser didn't say that number about Metroid Dread either, but everyone here is discussing just that (based on the title of thread alone) and that number is not in any other site.
And this bit about the joycon is at this article, who was published today and I thought that this thread was about the whole article...

:/

This one is really short. English is my 3rd language (still learning) and I read it all. C'mon people, you can read too. :)
I think the numbers for Dread are new, or at least it's the first time I've seen them. But I distinctly recall the joycon quote from earlier this year. Still good to have confirmation that Nintendo is continuing to improve the tech.

It's their marquee holiday title on a system with a gargantuan install base, used to launch a popular revision of said system, and it had huge social media hype. Anyone who thought it wasn't going to be the best selling game in the series was crazy.

It's about time that Metroid arrived at the right time. The series just needed a good break, sales wise. It finally got it.

Finally, it feels like the future of this series is secure again.

EDIT: The fact that it's utterly brilliant and reviewed well should be mentioned! That doesn't hurt!

Btw there are other things in the article like supply constraints for switch, nso problems etc. He dosent just talk about metroid

I mean, Doug Bowser didn't say that number about Metroid Dread either, but everyone here is discussing just that (based on the title of thread alone) and that number is not in any other site
... I don't understand, why would it need to be on any other site? Its an interview between Doug Bowser and the media outlet The verge. This is the primary source.

It's their marquee holiday title on a system with a gargantuan install base, used to launch a popular revision of said system, and it had huge social media hype. Anyone who thought it wasn't going to be the best selling game in the series was crazy.

It's about time that Metroid arrived at the right time. The series just needed a good break, sales wise. It finally got it.

Finally, it feels like the future of this series is secure again.

EDIT: The fact that it's utterly brilliant and reviewed well should be mentioned! That doesn't hurt!
I don't think anyone is surprised it debuted higher than any other Metroid. I think some are understandably surprised it did significantly more than double the launch of the next best-selling Metroid game.

Well isn't that just splendid news. Likely sitting at 1.5 million worldwide now, and with Christmas to come, 3M lifetime should be doable, especially if it gets its fair share of GOTY awards.

Well isn't that just splendid news. Likely sitting at 1.5 million worldwide now, and with Christmas to come, 3M lifetime should be doable, especially if it gets its fair share of GOTY awards.
3 million is guaranteed if it did 1.5 million in the first month. I'm thinking 4 to 5 million.

It seems that people are not reading the article.

This here is interesting: (about Joy-con drift)
That bit was included in a developer interview for the OLED model that Nintendo posted a day before launch.

I really hope Dread wins GOTY at TGA. Not because I’m invested in the outcome, but more to see what sort of impact that would have on further sales.

Wow that is impressive for Metroid! I remember being a kid in high school and even after graduation just wondering why more people didn't buy Prime 1-3. I always figured the quality and praise they got from fans would just move the series right along. This is certainly much more than I expected for Dread.

Oh, Dread has absolutely surpassed 1 million sales worldwide. I hope we get sales date from the UK and elsewhere soon. It'd be nice to know just how much Samus is crushing it.
It's done approximately 40k at retail in the UK. 30k in Spain retail and 120k shipped in France.

Tbone from Install Base also guessimates that up to the first week of November, Metroid Dread has shipped 2 million worldwide with more than a million for North America and 500k for PAL regions.

Wow that is impressive for Metroid! I remember being a kid in high school and even after graduation just wondering why more people didn't buy Prime 1-3. I always figured the quality and praise they got from fans would just move the series right along. This is certainly much more than I expected for Dread.
Nintendo fans aren't super into exploration-focused sci-fi with a lite horror aesthetic and tone. Metroid has never really fit in with a lot of the bigger Nintendo properties. How much acclaim it generates is irrelevant if it doesn't translate to sales. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. Admittedly, I have always been somewhat sour about Nintendo fans not embracing Metroid.

Nintendo fans aren't super into exploration-focused sci-fi with a lite horror aesthetic and tone. Metroid has never really fit in with a lot of the bigger Nintendo properties. How much acclaim it generates is irrelevant if it doesn't translate to sales. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. Admittedly, I have always been somewhat sour about Nintendo fans not embracing Metroid.

They haven't? I always felt like Nintendo "fans," on forums and internet communities embrace Metroid pretty heavily. It always felt like it was their number 3 most popular franchise online behind Mario and Zelda, at times beating out Mario during its peak with Prime 1/2 and Mario having recently released Sunshine. I guess Smash occupies that spot now though.

If anything I'd say it's the more casual consumers of Nintendo games who don't embrace Metroid, especially the family/children demographic.

They haven't? I always felt like Nintendo "fans," on forums and internet communities embrace Metroid pretty heavily. It always felt like it was their number 3 most popular franchise online behind Mario and Zelda, at times beating out Mario during its peak with Prime 1/2 and Mario having recently released Sunshine. I guess Smash occupies that spot now though.

If anything I'd say it's the more casual consumers of Nintendo games who don't embrace Metroid, especially the family/children demographic.
Yeah, forums are a very different story. Outside of them, Metroid is pretty niche. Even right now though, Metroid isn't right behind Mario and Zelda. That'd be Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Smash Bros., and then probably several other things... then Metroid. The Prime 1 era was so long ago.

Back
Top Bottom