• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware The unique "Playdate" handheld is getting a price increase to $199 and a paid game store.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

probably not the best set of announcements to pair together.

as someone who was waiting for it to get a slight discount before purchasing one, this has unsurprisingly damaged my interest in it.
the store is fine, especially considering that devs already were selling their Playdate games on other services such as itch.io. but it feels like the fees Panic gets from running their own store should be enough to offset any component price changes.

speaking of fun price changes, one of the launch titles on the new store is the classic "A Joke That’s Worth .99¢". which is now one cent more than the title suggests. apparently the dev has added extra content to make up for this disastrous mistake. the Itch version was also technically 1 dollar due to store limitations, but it was set at a permanent 1% off discount as a workaround.

The production quality of this "direct" is so great

and the charm in the "catalog" shop interface is exactly what the Switch is missing from previous Nintendo consoles

Somehow I missed this! I have a Playdate but I haven't picked it up in a while. But it's a great little system. Maybe I'll check out the catalog, as my one complaint was that most of the games in Season 1 were fun or interesting, but not so substantive.

Oh it is a $20 increase. For some reason I thought it was $99 to $199. That's not too bad. I still want to get this and an Analog Pocket!

I wonder if it's not doing as well as they hoped if they have to start charging more now

To be fair there have a been ~a few~ supply chain developments in the last four years, I can easily see their bill of materials having risen to the point they need to make a price hike for such a niche device

Neat bit of hardware that helps fill a DS style creative hole that Nintendo have left unfilled with the Switch…

… good luck trying to buy one though!

Back
Top Bottom