• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News The UK regulator CMA has blocked Microsoft’s proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard to protect innovation and choice in cloud gaming

Like it or not, for a creative medium monopoly cannot really exist. Especially for things that are non essential like videogames.

That doesn't mean we have to like it, but if this is a bad idea, this will be solved by the market.
Ah yes, the market famously solves all problems ever

Ah yes, the market famously solves all problems ever
For any essential service like Food, Housing, Materials, technology like Computers and phones, utilities, or tools, hell no. Because people don't have a choice for any of those things. Which is why I would prefer the FTC breaking up grocery chains, food manufacturers, farming companies rather then worrying about gaming.

For entertainment, and non essential things. Hell yes. Videogames publishers wane and fall all the time. Remember, before 2017, Nintendo had a whopping 8% marketshare in the console space, and is now the market leader. Creative businesses just inherently work different.

For any essential service like Food, Housing, Materials, technology like Computers and phones, utilities, or tools, hell no. Because people don't have a choice for any of those things. Which is why I would prefer the FTC breaking up grocery chains, food manufacturers, farming companies rather then worrying about gaming.

For entertainment, and non essential things. Hell yes. Videogames publishers wane and fall all the time. Remember, before 2017, Nintendo had a whopping 8% marketshare in the console space, and is now the market leader. Creative businesses just inherently work different.
The Market unnecessarily gave us $69.99 games

Like it or not, for a creative medium monopoly cannot really exist. Especially for things that are non essential like videogames.

That doesn't mean we have to like it, but if this is a bad idea, this will be solved by the market.

Just take a look at Disney. They took their time guzzling down company after company. Lucasfilm, Marvel, Fox, ect. And people said it would be catastrophic, and that it has ensured that Disney remains at a dominant position in the film and TV industry. The short term ramifications were a bit tough. But then Disney really overextended itself with this year of utter flops. Indiana Jones and Elemental were flops, The Little Mermaid Underperformed, Antman was a flop. They can't get a Star Wars movie off the ground, Marvel is struggling. Disney + isn't profitable and is bleeding money too.

We now live in a world, where Top Gun is a more relevant and desirable franchise than Indiana Jones.

And this weakness allowed other animated studios to gain greater marketshare in the animation market. Sony, DreamWorks, and Illumination has all proved better movies will win regardless of brand or studio.

As Disney has proved, buying studios can egregiously backfire and cede markets hare rather than gain it. Now, will it work out for Microsoft? Maybe, but I am sure if it does, it will for sure help take Sony down a peg. Which is a good thing. And if it doesn't, more publishers will rise to prominence.
Nintendo has been saying this for years. Buying some other company means you will have to change the whole culture and it is really difficult to do that. More than just create a new studio.

I don’t get why people get so dismayed with Microsoft buying ABK, when the story of most companies show that it s more probable than not that the quality of the products actually may decrease and a new player actually appears.

Just take a look at Disney. They took their time guzzling down company after company. Lucasfilm, Marvel, Fox, ect. And people said it would be catastrophic, and that it has ensured that Disney remains at a dominant position in the film and TV industry. The short term ramifications were a bit tough. But then Disney really overextended itself with this year of utter flops. Indiana Jones and Elemental were flops, The Little Mermaid Underperformed, Antman was a flop. They can't get a Star Wars movie off the ground, Marvel is struggling. Disney + isn't profitable and is bleeding money too.

We now live in a world, where Top Gun is a more relevant and desirable franchise than Indiana Jones.

And this weakness allowed other animated studios to gain greater marketshare in the animation market. Sony, DreamWorks, and Illumination has all proved better movies will win regardless of brand or studio.

As Disney has proved, buying studios can egregiously backfire and cede markets hare rather than gain it. Now, will it work out for Microsoft? Maybe, but I am sure if it does, it will for sure help take Sony down a peg. Which is a good thing. And if it doesn't, more publishers will rise to prominence.
You don't seem to understand that your Disney example argues against the point you're trying to make:

Disney went on a buying spree buying up IP and studios. And the net result of that was:

1) Disney was able to use it's status as owner of the largest IP library to start abusing theaters, and demanding they give more of their screens over to Disney films at the expense of non Disney films. This is textbook monopolistic behaviour, and it hurt everyone.

2) A large amount of cultural content has now just been stuck in the vault, and we're seeing even new shows and films based on property Disney bought essentially being disappeared out of existence.

3) A large amount of pre existing IP became massively devalued because Disney was determined to try and outspend everyone and release a flood of films and series that ended up being crap. No one benefits from Disney trying to turn Star Wars into an annual movie series.

4) Because Disney has forced their way into a market leading position through large buyouts, we're now seeing that a downturn in Disney box office revenue is having a negative impact on overall film revenue, affecting theaters and other related industries.

I could go on: the way Disney has essentially been able to use it's position to dictate terms to VFX houses, etc etc

Disney is the current poster boy for why you do not let mega corporate mergers like this go through unchallenged.

The Market unnecessarily gave us $69.99 games
Yes, and that was unilaterally pushed by Playstation because they were in a huge comfortable position in the marketplace and convinced third parties to join them.

Both Microsoft and Nintendo didn't debut their first $70 game until 2023, years after Sony pushed it as the standard.

But even then, the vast majority of games aren't $70. Even games that used to be $70, aren't now. For example, I can go and buy ratchet and clank rift apart for $30. Nintendo's games besides TotK are $60.

And we have Indie games too, which are continually becoming a better value proposition.
You don't seem to understand that your Disney example argues against the point you're trying to make:

Disney went on a buying spree buying up IP and studios. And the net result of that was:

1) Disney was able to use it's status as owner of the largest IP library to start abusing theaters, and demanding they give more of their screens over to Disney films at the expense of non Disney films. This is textbook monopolistic behaviour, and it hurt everyone.

2) A large amount of cultural content has now just been stuck in the vault, and we're seeing even new shows and films based on property Disney bought essentially being disappeared out of existence.

3) A large amount of pre existing IP became massively devalued because Disney was determined to try and outspend everyone and release a flood of films and series that ended up being crap. No one benefits from Disney trying to turn Star Wars into an annual movie series.

4) Because Disney has forced their way into a market leading position through large buyouts, we're now seeing that a downturn in Disney box office revenue is having a negative impact on overall film revenue, affecting theaters and other related industries.

I could go on: the way Disney has essentially been able to use it's position to dictate terms to VFX houses, etc etc

Disney is the current poster boy for why you do not let mega corporate mergers like this go through unchallenged.
Those are certainly negatives for Disney and the subsidiaries that they bought. But I would hesitate to say that it will long term affect the greatest industry. Because:

1. After years of Disney bullying theaters, theaters are now preemptively taking down Disney films in for more successful films. Many theaters in the country actually shut elemental down for more spider verse, made by Sony. And theaters are making room for films like the upcoming Barbie movie over Disney's blockbuster films like Indiana Jones.
2. This was true of Fox before the merger. And it's true for every single streaming service too, Netflix, Disney, HBO, Every single mega corporation does this, and that says more of US copyright law than anything.
3. True. And that doesn't really negatively affect the industry, because studios who have treated their IPs with respect have seen even more success(I.e. Top Gun, Shrek films, Illumination, ect.)
4. The thing is, they tried to force their way into a market position. But they completely failed. Netflix is still top dog in streaming, and their theater business is starting to plummet. If I had to guess too, I could see Disneyland and World starting to decline in a few years too. This is honestly putting other movie studios into a more advantageous position than they have in years.

Nintendo has been saying this for years. Buying some other company means you will have to change the whole culture and it is really difficult to do that. More than just create a new studio.

I don’t get why people get so dismayed with Microsoft buying ABK, when the story of most companies show that it s more probable than not that the quality of the products actually may decrease and a new player actually appears.
Given the government labour lawsuits and the push to unionize at ABK, pretty sure the staff are happy with this result relative to the status quo, and the ones that aren't are the ones responsible for the dogshit culture within the company, so it's no big loss there.
Wouldn't count on this having a negative effect on employees, if I were you.

Sounds like CMA negotiations are going rather quickly.

They really put all their money on the FTC, didn't they?

It's almost fascinating, and quite funny, how hard the CMA is caving now.

Maybe next time, the CMA could try to align themselves with the EU regulators. Would've saved time and money.

So basically Microsoft can't close the deal by the 18th. The ride continues haha. I wonder what settlement CMA has reached.

Dropping a Phoenix Down on this thread, as there have been significant developments:

The CMA said that, under the new deal presented to regulators, the cloud streaming rights to Activision’s games outside the European Economic Area will be sold to its French rival developer Ubisoft prior to Microsoft’s acquisition. Ubisoft will make an undisclosed one-off payment to Microsoft, and will be able to license Activision content to any cloud gaming provider, potentially including multi-game subscription services.
Sarah Cardell, the CMA chief executive, said the deal did not yet have a “green light” to proceed and its goals had not changed.

“The CMA has today confirmed that Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision, as originally proposed, cannot proceed,” she said. However, the updated deal was “substantially different from what was put on the table previously”.

“This is not a green light,” she said. “We will carefully and objectively assess the details of the restructured deal and its impact on competition, including in light of third-party comments.”

TLDR: Microsoft has sold off the streaming rights to Activision games to Ubisoft, who will own the streaming rights in perpetuity. Ubisoft can then license those games out to any streaming platform they choose who pay for the license, as well as being able to stream them on their own platform.

This is a pretty huge development:- this opens the door for any and all streaming platform, including Luna and PS Plus, to be able to stream Activision games over the cloud, rather than them becoming Gamepass exclusives.

While Ubisoft is not anyone's favourite company right now, it's difficult to see how this isn't preferable to MS just making the Activision catalogue exclusive to xCloud with a few token deals being made with GeForce Now for ten years.

Last edited:

If and when COD finally wanes, MS can just buy another publisher. Monopolies can and do exist when one party has a dragon's hoard of cash and apparently no regard for ROI.

How is this any different than MS selling licenses to cloud services? It's literally the same shit, just having to go through Ubisoft instead of MS. This isn't a solution, it's a sidestep being heralded as a solution so the CMA can say they did something

Dropping a Phoenix Down on this thread, as there have been significant developments:

TLDR: Microsoft has sold off the streaming rights to Activision games to Ubisoft, who will own the streaming rights in perpetuity. Ubisoft can then license those games out to any streaming platform they choose who pay for the license, as well as being able to stream them on their own platform.

This is a pretty huge development:- this opens the door for any and all streaming platform, including Luna and PS Plus, to be able to stream Activision games over the cloud, rather than them becoming Gamepass exclusives.

While Ubisoft is not anyone's favourite company right now, it's difficult to see how this isn't preferable to MS just making the Activision catalogue exclusive to Gamepass with a few token deals being made with GeForce Now for ten years.

This is from the financial times:

The two companies submitted a new proposed merger agreement to the Competition and Markets Authority on Tuesday, giving exclusive rights to France-based games rival Ubisoft to distribute Activision Blizzard titles on PC and console, including the hit game Call of Duty, outside of the European Economic Area (EEA).

I can't imagine thats true though, must be a mistake.

While Ubisoft is not anyone's favourite company right now, it's difficult to see how this isn't preferable to MS just making the Activision catalogue exclusive to Gamepass with a few token deals being made with GeForce Now for ten years.

You might want to add, if i read the stuff correctly, that Ubisoft's deal is limited too. It's for all games so far, and new games for a timeframe of 15 years.

Meaning, after those 15 years, the streaming rights for all new ActiBlizz games revert back to MS.

But i think Ubi keeps the rights for everything until that point even after the 15 years are over.

How is this any different than MS selling licenses to cloud services? It's literally the same shit, just having to go through Ubisoft instead of MS. This isn't a solution, it's a sidestep being heralded as a solution so the CMA can say they did something

You're right. I saw people calling this a divestiture, which it is most certainly not. They're not divesting anything, they're just bulk selling the streaming rights.

How is this any different than MS selling licenses to cloud services?
The idea is that MS won't be able to institute a cloud gaming monopoly this way, because even if they own ABK they won't own the streaming rights. You're right though that this feels like an unnecessary sidestep. It doesn't change much.

i guess CMA's approval is imminent then, finally this whole thing is coming to a close.

The difference is that Ubisoft have much more reason to license out the games to a wider selection of cloud streaming platforms.

Microsoft own the streaming servers that xCloud is hosted on. They simultaneously own a streaming service and a console platform. That means if Amazon or Google want to license Activision games, Microsoft has less incentive to let them, as they are directly competing with their own cloud server platform. They also have less incentive to allow streaming on other consoles like Switch or PlayStation, because they are competing with their own hardware.

Ubisoft is not competing with Amazon, or Google, or Nintendo, or Sony, so has much less reason to not allow those platforms to negotiate for streaming rights to the Activision catalogue.

You might want to add, if i read the stuff correctly, that Ubisoft's deal is limited too. It's for all games so far, and new games for a timeframe of 15 years.

Meaning, after those 15 years, the streaming rights for all new ActiBlizz games revert back to MS.

But i think Ubi keeps the rights for everything until that point even after the 15 years are over.
This is it. Everything up to now and for fifteen years from now remains with Ubisoft in perpetuity, unless they decide to sell those rights on (which would likely be subject to regulatory approval).

From 2038, Microsoft can then choose where and how to stream new Activision games.

It does feel largely symbolic, yeah. Especially choosing Ubisoft since they're Europe based.

I guess the CMA just needed some kind of visible, tangible gesture like this.

It does feel largely symbolic, yeah. Especially choosing Ubisoft since they're Europe based.

I guess the CMA just needed some kind of visible, tangible gesture like this.

Reminded me of this scene, tbh:

CanadaOnStrike109.png

Given the government labour lawsuits and the push to unionize at ABK, pretty sure the staff are happy with this result relative to the status quo, and the ones that aren't are the ones responsible for the dogshit culture within the company, so it's no big loss there.
Wouldn't count on this having a negative effect on employees, if I were you.
You sure?

It might not have an additional negative effect, but its going to solve exactly nothing.

ABK is huge. MS is handsoff. Even if they wanted to change things substantially, which they failed to do at other studios, it would take years and years before there would be any positive effect.

It's actually worse, because Ubisoft can monetize or even decline licenses. Microsoft couldn't do either under the global license they'd previously made as a result of the work with European regulators.

CMA in the end is really only limiting consumer choice and potentially raising prices.

It's actually worse, because Ubisoft can monetize or even decline licenses. Microsoft couldn't do either under the global license they'd previously made as a result of the work with European regulators.

CMA in the end is really only limiting consumer choice and potentially raising prices.
This is not true.

The licenses agreed with the EU previously by Microsoft were for consumers to be able to stream games they had already purchased a license for through platforms like GeForce Now.

The EU noted that there were still concerns about Microsoft potentially owning too much of the game streaming market, but ultimately decided there wasn't anything they could do about it.

The CMA deal is fundamentally different, because Ubisoft can now grant licenses to cloud platforms for people to stream games without first having to purchase a digital version of the game. As far as I understand it, Ubisoft have already announced their intention to bring games to services such as Luna, something that was previously not on the cards. In theory, Sony and Nintendo could also negotiate for licenses.

There is no reason why Ubisoft would have more incentive to keep Activision games off streaming platforms than Microsoft. Ubisoft can now license the library to competitors who operate a cloud platform completely separate from Microsoft, again something which was previously not on the cards.

This is not true.

The licenses agreed with the EU previously by Microsoft were for consumers to be able to stream games they had already purchased a license for through platforms like GeForce Now.

The EU noted that there were still concerns about Microsoft potentially owning too much of the game streaming market, but ultimately decided there wasn't anything they could do about it.

The CMA deal is fundamentally different, because Ubisoft can now grant licenses to cloud platforms for people to stream games without first having to purchase a digital version of the game. As far as I understand it, Ubisoft have already announced their intention to bring games to services such as Luna, something that was previously not on the cards. In theory, Sony and Nintendo could also negotiate for licenses.

There is no reason why Ubisoft would have more incentive to keep Activision games off streaming platforms than Microsoft. Ubisoft can now license the library to competitors who operate a cloud platform completely separate from Microsoft, again something which was previously not on the cards.
Microsoft's 10-year license was open and free. There were no restrictions they could place on cloud platforms unlike this Ubisoft arrangement. The one thing is that it was centered around BYOG (which is what most cloud services work under) and didn't have a licensing structure for MGS. I guess another could be the OS thing but that's really a functional non-issue for a streaming client anyway, the reality is Windows is already entrenched.

And you're badly mischaracterizing the EU decision, they approved the deal because they literally said Microsoft's license deal brought greater consumer benefits and fostered competition.

I think I'll wait to see the full text of the revised proposal. Would clear up a lot of things.

Anyway, from Idas from Resetera:
New report from MLex (I told you that the EC wasn't going to be happy):

- Microsoft's restructuring of its acquisition of Activision Blizzard to win UK approval will see the European Commission assess whether a fresh EU notification is necessary.

- Microsoft believes the divestment of cloud-gaming rights to Ubisoft outside of Europe will allow it to respect EU commitments adopted in May, but officials are now studying if a new review by the EU merger regulator is needed. "The commission is carefully assessing whether the developments in the UK require another notification to the commission," a spokesperson for the EU authority said.

The circus continues!

Microsoft's 10-year license was open and free. There were no restrictions they could place on cloud platforms unlike this Ubisoft arrangement. The one thing is that it was centered around BYOG (which is what most cloud services work under) and didn't have a licensing structure for MGS. I guess another could be the OS thing but that's really a functional non-issue for a streaming client anyway, the reality is Windows is already entrenched.

You are mischaracterizing the nature of the deal here.

Microsoft offered open licenses to cloud platforms that allow you to play games you bought digitally. Ie:- GeForce Now.

This is not how the majority of cloud platforms operate, where the consumer signs up to the platform and automatically gets permission to play games on that platform as part of the subscription.

Microsoft's deal was inherently restrictive, as it still had the potential to allow xCloud to be the only place you could pay to stream games without buying them first. The new deal changes that: consumers will be able to stream games without a purchase license as long as the platform licenses the rights from Ubisoft. Which, again, they're indicating they're going to offer to as many platforms as possible.

And you're badly mischaracterizing the EU decision, they approved the deal because they literally said Microsoft's license deal brought greater consumer benefits and fostered competition.
They identified a problem, and thought the solution proposed by Microsoft was enough, even though it had demonstrable shortcomings.

The new solution proposed after consultation with the CMA goes a long way further in actually addressing the issues: competitors who offer their own cloud gaming platforms now have an avenue to negotiate to license games without having to worry that Microsoft is going to rely on uncompetitive tactics to try and diminish the value of their platforms against xCloud or Gamepass.

Microsoft is now no longer the final arbiter on which games get licensed to cloud platforms. That's a huge win

I think I'll wait to see the full text of the revised proposal. Would clear up a lot of things.

Anyway, from Idas from Resetera:

The circus continues!

Given it's , on paper, "more" than what the EU already asked for, i don't think they're going to be a roadblock.

Especially since everyone and their pets are aware that this Ubisoft deal is nothing but a "face-saving agreement" so that the CMA doesn't look totally look like the clowns they are.

Given it's , on paper, "more" than what the EU already asked for, i don't think they're going to be a roadblock.

Especially since everyone and their pets are aware that this Ubisoft deal is nothing but a "face-saving agreement" so that the CMA doesn't look totally look like the clowns they are.
Explain this one to me. The CMA got Microsoft to divest more than the EC ever asked for, and have got the most concessions in terms of keeping cloud competitive.

The FTC got shut down at court, and the EC waved the deal through with a token nod towards gamers who purchased a digital license. The CMA deal goes further than either. So how are they the clowns?

You are mischaracterizing the nature of the deal here.

Microsoft offered open licenses to cloud platforms that allow you to play games you bought digitally. Ie:- GeForce Now.

This is not how the majority of cloud platforms operate, where the consumer signs up to the platform and automatically gets permission to play games on that platform as part of the subscription.

Microsoft's deal was inherently restrictive, as it still had the potential to allow xCloud to be the only place you could pay to stream games without buying them first. The new deal changes that: consumers will be able to stream games without a purchase license as long as the platform licenses the rights from Ubisoft. Which, again, they're indicating they're going to offer to as many platforms as possible.
Uh, yes, most commercial cloud services, even even white label services like Ubitus, are BYOG. Luna, Stadia, GFN, Boosteroid, even Sony's new PS5 service currently testing, they're all based on title ownership.

And looking it up, we're both wrong... apparently the EU remedies did address MGS too. They were all inclusive, it's just that no MGS (like Luna+, Ubi+, PS+) decided to sign yet. I would guess this Ubisoft partnership likely arose out of talks in that direction actually.

And the simple reality is one deal was open and free, the new one is selective and monetized. By Ubisoft of all publishers (lol), you're way off on this being in any concrete way better for actual consumers or the market at large. It's better for the established industry participants for sure though.

They identified a problem, and thought the solution proposed by Microsoft was enough, even though it had demonstrable shortcomings.

The new solution proposed after consultation with the CMA goes a long way further in actually addressing the issues: competitors who offer their own cloud gaming platforms now have an avenue to negotiate to license games without having to worry that Microsoft is going to rely on uncompetitive tactics to try and diminish the value of their platforms against xCloud or Gamepass.

Microsoft is now no longer the final arbiter on which games get licensed to cloud platforms. That's a huge win
This is still a willfully misleading and frankly incorrect take on your part, literally nothing was said about demonstrable shortcomings, nothing said about "nothing they could do about it", etc. Quite the opposite, Brussels had a glowing response to the deal and said it fully addressed their concerns:

These commitments fully address the competition concerns identified by the Commission and represent a significant improvement for cloud game streaming compared to the current situation. They will empower millions of EEA consumers to stream Activision's games using any cloud gaming services operating in the EEA, provided they are purchased in an online store or included in an active multi-game subscription in the EEA. In addition, the availability of Activision's popular games for streaming via all cloud game streaming services will boost the development of this dynamic technology in the EEA. Ultimately, the commitments will unlock significant benefits for competition and consumers, by bringing Activision's games to new platforms, including smaller EU players, and to more devices than before.

Uh, yes, most commercial cloud services, even even white label services like Ubitus, are BYOG. Luna, Stadia, GFN, Boosteroid, even Sony's new PS5 service currently testing, they're all based on title ownership.

Amazon Luna allows users to sign up and play games without buying them.

PS Plus Premium allows users to stream PS1/2/3/4 games without buying them.

Stadia is dead.

GeForce Now offers streaming on games you already own, but this new deal opens up the option of them being able to license Activision games and let subscribers play them without buying them.

And the simple reality is one deal was open and free, the new one is selective and monetized. By Ubisoft of all publishers (lol), you're way off on this being in any concrete way better for actual consumers or the market at large. It's better for the established industry participants for sure though.

The EU deal was free to cloud companies. Consumers would still have to buy a copy of the game, then still sign up to a cloud platform to stream it off the cloud.

The new deal means consumers no longer have to buy a license for the game. There is no way that this is in any way biasing companies over consumers.

This is still a willfully misleading and frankly incorrect take on your part, literally nothing was said about demonstrable shortcomings, nothing said about "nothing they could do about it", etc. Quite the opposite, Brussels had a glowing response to the deal and said it fully addressed their concerns:

The fact their announcement was so glowing is why the CMA issued a response: there were still massive gaps in the MS proposal, gaps which the EC themselves acknowledged, but they just came out and said that MS had addressed them anyway.

The fact of the matter is: the EC could have pushed Microsoft to divest streaming rights to a third party. They could have pushed for MS to allow consumers to stream games on a variety of different platforms without buying an individual license for games. They didn't. The CMA pushed for more concessions, and got them.

Explain this one to me. The CMA got Microsoft to divest more than the EC ever asked for, and have got the most concessions in terms of keeping cloud competitive.

The FTC got shut down at court, and the EC waved the deal through with a token nod towards gamers who purchased a digital license. The CMA deal goes further than either. So how are they the clowns?

Acting on a lot of theoretic, sometimes downright unrealistic and delusioned, scenarios to find some superficial reasons to block the deal.
Acting like a organisation that somewhat dictates what's acceptable and not to other similar groups, overstepping it's own boundaries.
Acting like a spoiled child, partially fully ignoring communications, ignoring remedies offered because they already made up their mind to "deal has to be blocked".

The FTC and the CMA got shredded in the courts, showing what an awful job they've made. They're clowns because they got clowned in courts.

What the CMA now did is bring another third party in, who might end up having worse terms for all the services that want these games and don't have their own deal with MS/Acti. Ubi is basically a wild card in how this will play out in the end.
I don't see how consumers are being protected by such a move. It's simply a "See, we made something happen!" thing for the CMA. "Look Ma, i earned my salary this month!!!".

The EU regulators were the only ones with an objective approach. Told MS that they have issues with the base deal, listened and negotiated acceptable remedies with the involved parties and after their issues were adressed, allowed the deal to pass.

Amazon Luna allows users to sign up and play games without buying them.

PS Plus Premium allows users to stream PS1/2/3/4 games without buying them.

Stadia is dead.

GeForce Now offers streaming on games you already own, but this new deal opens up the option of them being able to license Activision games and let subscribers play them without buying them.
No, Luna+ allows you to play games as a dedicated subscriber or Prime member. Luna is the service overall, most of which is also based on title ownership.

And the reality is, the majority of streamed games are done under BYOG. MGS is still in it's infancy and (unlike music or video) can't seem to gain any traction.

The EU deal was free to cloud companies. Consumers would still have to buy a copy of the game, then still sign up to a cloud platform to stream it off the cloud.

The new deal means consumers no longer have to buy a license for the game. There is no way that this is in any way biasing companies over consumers.
The EU deal was (and thankfully remains) free to ALL companies. And no, it also covered MGS so consumers could also pay for a service rather than the game itself, this is wrong information so please stop repeating it. The quote and link I gave you from the European Commission even clarifies this.

The fact their announcement was so glowing is why the CMA issued a response: there were still massive gaps in the MS proposal, gaps which the EC themselves acknowledged, but they just came out and said that MS had addressed them anyway.
The fact of the matter is: the EC could have pushed Microsoft to divest streaming rights to a third party. They could have pushed for MS to allow consumers to stream games on a variety of different platforms without buying an individual license for games. They didn't. The CMA pushed for more concessions, and got them.
CMA issued a shockingly swift and unprecedentedly antagonistic response because they're in a Brexit driven optics war with the EC to establish their place among global regulators. Unfortunately they also picked the wrong case to stake their reputation on and it's kind of blown up in their face now. Broadcom/VMware would've been a much safer, and frankly legitimate, case to rally behind but they just let that one sail through this month. Even Amazon/iRobot probably would've been better, at least then they wouldn't have had to fantasize about unrealistic market scenarios a decade away to try and rationalize a block.

The EC got a more competition friendly (and thus consumer friendly) remedy out of Microsoft than the CMA did, they also managed that significantly faster and they didn't even have to embarrass themselves with the judiciary or public to make it happen. This whole case has been amateur hour at CMA (from SLC dropping math mistakes, to repeatedly getting ripped a new one at CAT to now being cornered into tossing out their previous order for an unheard of "3rd Phase") and the fact their worse remedy is also impacting other markets is really the piss cherry on top of this shit sundae. Disgraceful.

EC waved the deal through with a token nod towards gamers who purchased a digital license
I think this is disrespectful towards the EC regulators, whom among FTC and CMA, had the most evidence backing up their findings. It's great that CMA got their concessions, but they achieved it through, let's say, less than elegant means.

Ubi is basically a wild card in how this will play out in the end
This is why we have to wait for the full text. We need to see the extent of what MS and Ubisoft are obliged to do.

I'm not going to complain too much since I don't care about the cloud, but it's a shame that all the CMA has done is help empower an abusive corporation like Ubisoft.

I know it's the modern stuff that's more relevant, but talking about selling current and next-15-years Activision rights to Ubisoft sounds crazy when I think about the numbers involved. By the end of it, Ubisoft would have near-worldwide cloud control of the first ~58 years of Activision games?

CMA are clowns straight up. We know they didn't engage in any discussion with MS and we're supposed to praise that they got Ubisoft involved so they can say "we did something"? It's good that we're getting the deal through now but it shouldn't have come to this.

Nothing about this deal between MS and ABK required a divesture. Sorry, the folks at the CMA are clowns.

Does this mean that Microsoft will have to pay Ubisoft to get their Activision Blizzard games on GamePass?

As someone who primarily games on Switch at this point I don't mind this deal going through. Consolidation is going to happen either way and at least now the Switch will get COD for those who want it. Sony has been trying to eliminate competition for years with shady moneyhat tactics but unfortunately for them they just ran into somebody with deeper pockets.

You sure?

It might not have an additional negative effect, but its going to solve exactly nothing.

ABK is huge. MS is handsoff. Even if they wanted to change things substantially, which they failed to do at other studios, it would take years and years before there would be any positive effect.
Am I sure that giving employees the ability to engage in unionization without corporate interference that allows them collective bargaining power to stand up against capricious management decisions like the single one example you pointed out is better than the status quo? .... yeah, unequivocally so.

Last edited:
Acting on a lot of theoretic, sometimes downright unrealistic and delusioned, scenarios to find some superficial reasons to block the deal.
Acting like a organisation that somewhat dictates what's acceptable and not to other similar groups, overstepping it's own boundaries.
Acting like a spoiled child, partially fully ignoring communications, ignoring remedies offered because they already made up their mind to "deal has to be blocked".

The FTC and the CMA got shredded in the courts, showing what an awful job they've made. They're clowns because they got clowned in courts.

What the CMA now did is bring another third party in, who might end up having worse terms for all the services that want these games and don't have their own deal with MS/Acti. Ubi is basically a wild card in how this will play out in the end.
I don't see how consumers are being protected by such a move. It's simply a "See, we made something happen!" thing for the CMA. "Look Ma, i earned my salary this month!!!".

The EU regulators were the only ones with an objective approach. Told MS that they have issues with the base deal, listened and negotiated acceptable remedies with the involved parties and after their issues were adressed, allowed the deal to pass.
Tbf the only one who got shredded in court was the FTC. The CMA hadn’t reached that point yet, had a hearing where they embarrassed themselves though, but once they saw the verdict did a complete 180 to save some face.

Back
Top Bottom