• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion The thing that separated Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network stylistically

MagiCarbo

Bob-omb
The two biggest names in animated entertainment on television have long been Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. These two channels have introduced countless shows and characters that dominated childhoods and entertained kids for years from SpongeBob SquarePants, to The Powerpuff Girls, to Rugrats, to Dexter's Labrotory, to Avatar: The Last Airbender, to Courage the Cowardly Dog, to The Fairly OddParents, to Adventure Time. But what I think doesn't really get talked about enough though, was how these two channels distinguished each other and their shows stylistically and aesthetically. What makes something a Nickelodeon-style cartoon, while something a Cartoon Network-style cartoon?

To me, I think the thing that separated these two brands were perspective, and tone. Nickelodeon was very much the "first kids network". The first full service tv station dedicated to serving children. As such, everything the channel put on the air was designed to reflect the attitude, lifestyle, and expressiveness of childhood. This was "Your" network. It wasn't your mom's, you dad's, or your older sister's, but yours. Nickelodeon was a place just for kids. This aesthetic would especially be defined in the mid-80s and throughout the 90s.

Cartoon Network on the other hand, was launched as the first 24 hour "Cartoon" channel. Dedicated entirely to the art of animation. So the focus was on hosting a wide array of cartoon stars and showcasing the kinds of creativity and ingenuity that the medium of animation can bring. While CN was always known to be a network for kids, it was also a channel geared towards anybody and everybody who liked Cartoons. It positioned itself not just as a kids network, but a channel for kids at heart as well.

These distinctive mentalities of the two channels can be seen in their most well known programing. Because of the network's "Kids Rule!" aesthetic, Kids on Nicktoons are either the POV characters, point of empowerment, or both. Take SpongeBob SquarePants for example. SpongeBob is technically an adult, but his personality and manerisms are often very child-like. He acts very similar to the kids who watch him at home. He's silly, creative, spontaneous, curious, and naive, and always wants to have fun working at the Krusty Krab, and go on adventures with his friends like Patrick and Sandy. Squidward, SpongeBob's neighbor and co-worker, is very much the archytipical stuffy grown-up. Boring, monotone, pretentious, stick-in-the-mud. Squidward is often unamused with SpongeBob's childish antics, and wants nothing more than to be left alone and practice his music. But through sheer optimism and childlike energy, SpongeBob is often able to prevail at having fun, while Squidward ends up foiled or humilliated in many situtations.

SpongeBob, particularly the first few seasons embodies the pure Nickelodeon aesthetic. It's the cool, fun-loving kid vs. the lame, boring adult. And its a reccuring theme throughout most of Nick's shows, animated or not. Kids are always the ones having the adventures and dealing with problems, while adults are either portrayed as annoying obsticles to overcome or goofball authority figures for the kids to question or make fun of.

On the opposite end, Cartoon Network had more of a holistic approach. Cartoon Network as mentioned, was as much a channel for hardcore cartoon fans, including adults, as it was a network for children, particularly during the pre-Adult Swim days. Many of the channel's most well known shows from this era were designed to be enjoyed on two tracks. For example, The Powerpuff Girls. To a child, the show is a fun super-hero comedy about three kindergarten girls with superpowers who fight crime and spend time together as siblings. But to an adult, its a heavily stylized and cheeky satire of 60s crime fighting shows and Jay Ward cartoons. With tons of jokes and references that will be completely lost on kids, and parodies of various superhero cliches and tropes. Many episodes of the show also focus not just on the girls and their adventures, but also on their father, Professor Utonium and his various inventions, as well as the ways he bonds with the girls and teaches them lessons.

And that was very common in Cartoon Network shows at the time, the adults were just as much protagonists as the kids, and the kids were often portrayed in a very abstract and ironic manner, sometimes even as just tag-along sidekicks like in Time Squad, which gave them a more Pixar-type appeal compared to most Nickelodeon shows, where kids and adults can both get something out of it. Even a show like Ed, Edd n' Eddy, where there are no adults present, is still told more in the style of an adult vividly reminicing about his youth rather than just the wacky adventures of three tween losers who share a name.

But I think you can especially tell the difference by comparing their two Boy Genuis shows, Dexter's Labrotory and Jimmy Neutron. Dexter's Labrotory is a full-blown parody of Mad Scientist genre fiction and sci-fi tropes. The fact that there's this giant secret labrotory run by a scientist who is reaaly just this little boy playing in his room, is part of the joke. In contrast, Jimmy Neutron is a much more grounded show focusing more on Jimmy's childhood problems and how he uses his inventions and intellect to solve them. Nick's show was about a kid who happens to be a genius. CN's show, was about a genius who happens to be a kid.

I think that's what seperated Nick shows from CN shows at their prime. Nickelodeon was a channel about kids, for kids, while Cartoon Network was a channel about cartoons, for kids and adults.

Last edited:
This was well written, but it's amusing to see these kind of stylistic differences in which you'd think ATLA/LOK should be a Cartoon Network greenlit project given the more mature themes that often were written into the respective shows

Well said! I think this is why I initially started as a Nicktoons kid but as I got older I split most of my cartoon time between both Nickelodeon and CN 50/50.

As a kid I loved Cartoon Network over Nickelodeon if only because the output was more off kilter and weird to me.

It felt to me that a lot of early CN output was driven by very nostalgic 20/30 year olds for classic Hannah Barbera, and so every cartoon, while being made for kids had that sort of adult edge of cynicism and weirdness.

And they took to the 90s revival of Looney Tune wackinesss stronger than Nick did. Wh8ch always appealed to me more.

That didnt mean I didnt like Nick's output. I was just drawn to CN's more. I also really loved the HB reruns durung those early years.

I think you can make similar cases for a few Nictoons, even for some made in the early 2000s, particularly Fairly Odd Parents. Children of course are the ones that get the neat wish granting beings, but the episodes from the first seasons constantly put Timmy to empathize with the sentiments of older people. It's probably part of the reason why my father loved to watch the show with me, actually.

Overall, though, I generally agree. Stuff in early 2000s Cartoon Network was very packaged.

People who think of Doug and Rocko's Modern Life first before remembering SpongeBob was a Nickelodeon show (because you were already prepping to graduate high school by the time it came out), don't forget to ice your back this evening.

It's funny. I never really got into Doug until Disney took the series. And the drama that followed never stuck to me because I always felt Doug just vibed more with Disney and their series like Pepper Ann.

People who think of Doug and Rocko's Modern Life first before remembering SpongeBob was a Nickelodeon show (because you were already prepping to graduate high school by the time it came out), don't forget to ice your back this evening.

My back is fine actually!
But yeah, it was those, and Rugrats, and Argh! Real Monsters, and Catdog...

I couldn't name anything on Cartoon Network. I don't know her! I think the Cartoon Network we got over here in the UK just had the old classic Warner Bros. & Hanna Barbera cartoons.
But I wouldn't know because we couldn't afford cable/sat.
The Nickelodeon stuff would be on regular TV.

My back is fine actually!
But yeah, it was those, and Rugrats, and Argh! Real Monsters, and Catdog...

I couldn't name anything on Cartoon Network. I don't know her! I think the Cartoon Network we got over here in the UK just had the old classic Warner Bros. & Hanna Barbera cartoons.
But I wouldn't know because we couldn't afford cable/sat.
The Nickelodeon stuff would be on regular TV.
Here in the States Nickelodeon was cable as well, so.. that's kinda neat to know that there was a region where it was just on normal broadcast.

And the old WB & HB cartoons were what Cartoon Network started with, you're right. But sometime in the late 90s they started dabbling in original programming and by the 2000s it blew up. Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd n Eddy, Johnny Bravo, Samurai Jack... it was a lot all at once, and they've been a staple for original animation ever since.

When I was a kid (the mid 2000's), I think the most noticeable difference is that Cartoon Network seemed to keep much more of the deranged, gross-out nature of 90's cartoons. Its shows seemed generally more grungy, mean-spirited, and disturbing. Meanwhile early SpongeBob had a gentleness to it, almost like a midway point between preschool shows like Bear in the Big Blue House and other cartoons, and the Butch Hartman shows and licensed stuff were fairly sanitized. As the decade went on though, I get the impression Cartoon Network started getting more serialized stuff, while Nickelodeon got increasingly lowbrow and has seriously struggled to find any success post-Avatar aside from Loud House. In fact, I'd say it's no longer even one of the two biggest animation channels, and Disney Channel has thoroughly blown past it in the last ten years, just looking at what shows they've had and how much I hear about them.

This was well written, but it's amusing to see these kind of stylistic differences in which you'd think ATLA/LOK should be a Cartoon Network greenlit project given the more mature themes that often were written into the respective shows
I'd say Avatar: The Last Airbender still fits in Nick's wheelhouse. It may be darker than other shows to come out of the network, but it's still a Nicktoon at its core.

It's a story about Kids overcoming personal issues to grow stronger and fight against the evil grown-up ruling the world. Aang and the others have no adult mentor throughout most of the series, so the kids really have to train on their own. It's still very much within Nick's "Kids Rule! Adults Drool!" Aesthetic, albeit, a more epic and serious take on it.

Last edited:
Nick made up for their lack of cartoon success with some cheap but melorable live action sitcoms like Drake and Josh, etc.

CN never got live action right. Which is hard with a name like Cartoon Network.

Nick made up for their lack of cartoon success with some cheap but melorable live action sitcoms like Drake and Josh, etc.

CN never got live action right. Which is hard with a name like Cartoon Network.
I revisited Drake & Josh last year and I couldn't believe how well it holds up, it's genuinely funny a lot of times. Now I understand those 48 hour marathons they had in Latin America weren't just for show lol It was actually their best asset.

Honestly as someone who didn't get cable till around 2009 or so it always confused me that Cartoon Network vs Nickolodeon vs Disney Channel was even a debate. Aside from maybe I want to say ... the late 90's? (I'm guessing based off what shows I've heard of) Cartoon Network always seemed stacked to a ridiculous degree compared to its competitors. By the mid 2000's it just seemed like a blood bath. Like how is any other channel really really rivaling the channel that has Camp Lazlo, Chowder, Flapjack, Courage the Cowardly dog reruns, and Adult Swim with King of the Hill at night? It even had Regular Show.

Nowadays I'm not sure but Disney apparently has a lot of good stuff.

Honestly as someone who didn't get cable till around 2009 or so it always confused me that Cartoon Network vs Nickolodeon vs Disney Channel was even a debate. Aside from maybe I want to say ... the late 90's? (I'm guessing based off what shows I've heard of) Cartoon Network always seemed stacked to a ridiculous degree compared to its competitors. By the mid 2000's it just seemed like a blood bath. Like how is any other channel really really rivaling the channel that has Camp Lazlo, Chowder, Flapjack, Courage the Cowardly dog reruns, and Adult Swim with King of the Hill at night? It even had Regular Show.

Nowadays I'm not sure but Disney apparently has a lot of good stuff.
Yeah CN was stacked starting in the 00s with a few shows getting their start in the late 90s, but before then Nickelodeon was fantastic. The combination of Disney Afternoon (which was on broadcast as opposed to the Disney Channel) and the early Nicktoons block (Doug, Rugrats, Ren&Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life) was my whole damn childhood. Then Nick expanded out with Hey Arnold, Angry Beavers, CatDog, The Wild Thornberrys... hell they had a whole other life before SpongeBob was even a thing. Plus they had KaBlam, which was the most delightfully unhinged thing in western animation at the time. Nickelodeon animation was fantastic and varied before SpongeBob came and overshadowed everything else on the network.

Not saying CN wasn't stacked, but Nickelodeon most certainly was too. And before CN gained steam (and before corporate shakeups at Nick drastically changed their outlook on production and programming) they were the best in television animation imo.

CN really came alive when Toonami became a thing and being a great gateway into anime that was the right mix of censored for TV but not completely torn apart like a Kids WB show.

Good post. Aesthetically, I also tended to associate Nick with thin outlines and CN with thick outlines
That was my initial gut reaction too, but then when I actually thought about it, I was able to think of lots of opposite examples for both channels

I watched plenty of both growing up, but if I had to revisit the catalog of only one, it would be Cartoon Network pretty easily. The likes of SpongeBob and Rugrats are culturally bigger than anything CN has produced, and there are a ton of great shows from Nickelodeon like My Life As A Teenage Robot and Avatar The Last Airbender. But you know what?

Cartoon Cartoon Fridays was Goddamn PEAK. Dexter‘s Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd n Eddy, gat dang COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG. And then you have the entirety of the Hanna-Barbara back catalog, most relevantly Scooby Doo and all his shows. And then most of the DC animated universe shows from Justice League onward, as well as Teen Titans and Young Justice. And this is just my child/teen nostalgia, I know plenty of popular stuff like Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Regular Show, and more have come out. And for what it’s worth, Over the Garden Wall may be my favorite animated thing ever.

I just can’t help but think variety and wider appeal give Cartoon Network a better legacy, at least for me personally.

The real good shit was early Nick’s live action stuff, including the game shows. GUTS, Double Dare, Clarissa Explains it All, Pete and Pete, All That!, and so on. I watched that stuff a ton as a kid.

I also loved Doug and Rocko’s, too!

The real good shit was early Nick’s live action stuff, including the game shows. GUTS, Double Dare, Clarissa Explains it All, Pete and Pete, All That!, and so on. I watched that stuff a ton as a kid.

Thanks to Clarissa, anytime one of my friends said "Hey [person's name]!" the rest of us would mimic the guitar chord.

but holy effing ess, PETE AND PETE!!!

That show had no business being so legitimately surreal and weird. And not like "it's a kids show so it's fantastical and weird!!" no, it was like if Wes Anderson was making a coming-of-age drama for kids. Goddamn that show was good.

Also I tripped out when Artie, The Strongest Man... In The Worrrrld ended up playing Weird Al's dad in the Weird Al biopic last year. Just mountains of wtf spawned back then.

Damn I had no idea Clarissa was Nick too. That show was incredible.
Nick had some serious live-action bangers, but it's tough sometimes to parse which ones Nick gets credit for because they also imported some live action shows from Canada back in the early days. But the ones @SammyJ9 shouted out were homegrown Nick, many filmed at Nickelodeon Studios in Florida.

There was actually a documentary made a few years ago called The Orange Years that chronicles the early years of Nick and the boom years of them having their own studio (that was apparently like a legitimately awesome summer camp type environment for the kid actors). Its on Hulu in the States (maybe on Disney Plus elsewhere, seems like D+ gets a lot of Hulu's stuff outside America).

Granted this thread is about cartoons but still, 90s Nick was a huge part of my childhood so I get excited 😅

Edit: fuck it, it's 9pm but I'm cracking an orange soda and sitting to watch The Orange Years again 😅

Last edited:
Watching clips of Rocko's Modern Life has me feeling it's basically like Nickelodeon's own Seinfeld

I didn’t get Cartoon Network until like 2001 so most of my childhood memories are of Nickelodeon.

I liked Doug, Ren & Stimpy (too bad creator, John Kricfalusi, is such a crummy human), and of course, my favorite, Rocko’s Modern Life. I also enjoyed Hey Arnold!, Oh Yeah! Cartoons, The Angry Beavers (who weren’t even all that angry), and the first couple seasons of The Fairly OddParents. I haven’t kept up after that besides getting shamed into watching Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra in like 2014. Both good; the former is better.

As for Cartoon Network, I really liked the first two seasons of Dexter’s Laboratory, parts of the Powerpuff Girls, and the beginning of Samurai Jack (never finished it though). Most of my Cartoon Network viewing was from non-original content (mostly anime) on Toonami and Adult Swim.

Legends of the Hidden Temple was my favorite Nickelodeon game show.

Salute Your Shorts was my all-time favorite live-action Nickelodeon show. Definitely showing my age.

Back
Top Bottom