• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News The Super Mario Bros. Movie hits $500 million, biggest video game adaptation ever

mazi

picross pundit
We have the latest on the box office performance of The Super Mario Bros. Movie, with the film now surpassing $500 million globally. With that, it’s become the biggest video game adaptation ever.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie earned $260.3 million domestically. You can also throw in another $248.4 million internationally. The exact total is currently $508.7 million.
Warcraft and Detective Pikachu were previously the biggest video game adaptations. However, The Super Mario Bros. has taken the crown and isn’t showing any signs of slowing down.

The good news doesn’t stop there. The Super Mario Bros. Movie is the second biggest animated film since 2019 in worldwide box office terms, having beat out Demon Slayer: Mugen Train ($494 million). It’s behind Minions: The Rise of Gru ($942.5 million).

shocked-at-the-amount-of-money-mario.gif

I thought the movie would be a success. Just maybe not "Earn half a billion dollars before the second weekend" crazy success.

The funniest thing to me is that, despite the clear level of quality (mixed critical reaction acknowledged) and the attention to detail provided by Nintendo, there are, predictably, reactionary takes popping up that actually the 1993 movie is better and more daring.

You know, aside from the fact that it's barely recognizable as a Mario movie, had zero creative input from Nintendo and was a product of Hollywood producer meddling from start to finish.

I think it's an exciting thing for them to so so well. While I would hope for a little better pacing in the future, it's basically exactly what I would want from an adaptation, so I just want more.

Very off topic here, but the last paragraph in OP reminded me that Pixar, a company usually accustomed to be at the top of almost all rankings about animated filmmaking, has only launched two movies in theaters in countries with Disney+ since 2019, Onward and Lightyear.

Next week I'll go and see the movie, honestly can't wait. Nintendo is on a roll lately

sonic getting stickbugged is all I've wanted to see, my job here is done.
The funniest thing to me is that, despite the clear level of quality (mixed critical reaction acknowledged) and the attention to detail provided by Nintendo, there are, predictably, reactionary takes popping up that actually the 1993 movie is better and more daring.

You know, aside from the fact that it's barely recognizable as a Mario movie, had zero creative input from Nintendo and was a product of Hollywood producer meddling from start to finish.
also the fact that everyone involved in it hated working on it lol

Universal are going to be like to Nintendo, 'Do whatever you want; Zelda, Splatoon, Kid Icarus, Doshin the Giant, JUST DO WHATEVER YOU WANT'

It was a fun movie and a decent start for Nintendo's big screen efforts. Going to be a fun few years speculating about what comes next, aside from the inevitable sequel. Maybe it'll all culminate in a Smash Bros film in 2035 to commemorate 50 years of Nintendo gaming systems.

It’s going to be fun to see how the legs play out this month. Not only is there not much direct competition in terms of family films until the Little Mermaid, but even the Super Hero movies it was likely expected to contend with this month, Shazam and Ant Man, are hemorrhaging theaters already.

It's nuts when you realize this is days before it's second weekend.

It's nuts when you realize the Switch still has no brand new 2D Mario where Bowser Jr. is playable.

It's nuts when you realize this is days before it's second weekend.

It's nuts when you realize the Switch still has no brand new 2D Mario where Bowser Jr. is playable.
At least it's cool because if going by Bowser's Fury Nintendo may get more and more crazy about using different characters in playable roles other than the standard four. There's also the fact to consider that some people at EPD Tokyo were involved in the movie so it probably sprinkled a few ideas into their minds for future games.

If we get a decent weekend hold, it’s going to be around 650 million WW by Monday.

Potential record breaking second weekend unfolding, will depend on Saturday and Sunday, but it's tracking close to Frozen 2's 85.9 million domestic.

Seeing the difference in sales potential between the Mario Movie, and the Detective Pikachu and Sonic movies is quite liberating.

No, we don't need a shoehorned "Hollywood Friendly" ripoff film that could literally be done with any character. People want to see something that is accurate to the games and accurate to the mechanics of the game too. Quit being afraid of staying true to your source material. Critics may not like it and be "confused". But video game adaptions are for people who like the video games or the IP around it.

Welp, looks like it was 678m global and setting down more box office records, making folks assume that 1 Billion Run might end up actualy happening.

Just a little venting here, many articles I get in my recommended articles read with a title implying Mario is not doing so hot with all kind of sensational titles so I read further and it's all about China's performance... Meanwhile in the Americas, Europe and other countries it is breaking all kind of records.

Does Hollywood hate Mario or why are all these articles focusing on the wrong things? It's almost looking like they are trying to create the idea of that the movie wasn't succesful.

Very off topic here, but the last paragraph in OP reminded me that Pixar, a company usually accustomed to be at the top of almost all rankings about animated filmmaking, has only launched two movies in theaters in countries with Disney+ since 2019, Onward and Lightyear.
Disney + made sense during the pandemic and that’s about it

Just a little venting here, many articles I get in my recommended articles read with a title implying Mario is not doing so hot with all kind of sensational titles so I read further and it's all about China's performance... Meanwhile in the Americas, Europe and other countries it is breaking all kind of records.

Does Hollywood hate Mario or why are all these articles focusing on the wrong things? It's almost looking like they are trying to create the idea of that the movie wasn't succesful.
It's a massive blow to Hollywood that a movie, that is structured and paced like a game, is outperforming animated movies that are "Hollywood approved".

A lot of Hollywood executives are shook in horror right now.

Weekday drops seem to have fallen back to Earth with holidays being over, predicted Monday is a little over 5 million domestic.

Weekday drops seem to have fallen back to Earth with holidays being over, predicted Monday is a little over 5 million domestic.
the weekend numbers are what get this movie to new heights. 5 million would be pretty decent in the current context.

Seeing the difference in sales potential between the Mario Movie, and the Detective Pikachu and Sonic movies is quite liberating.

No, we don't need a shoehorned "Hollywood Friendly" ripoff film that could literally be done with any character. People want to see something that is accurate to the games and accurate to the mechanics of the game too. Quit being afraid of staying true to your source material. Critics may not like it and be "confused". But video game adaptions are for people who like the video games or the IP around it.

It's a massive blow to Hollywood that a movie, that is structured and paced like a game, is outperforming animated movies that are "Hollywood approved".

I'm going to be honest, I don't really understand your takes here, like, at all.

Well, kinda. I agree that this shows that movies that are accurate to the source material can and will do well, and it's what audiences want. That being said, I don't know why it would be so important that the movie follows the structure and mechanics of a game. If I wanted something that was so pitch accurate to a video game, I'd just....play the game. The whole interesting part of an adaptation is to see how it's adaptated and changed to fit a different form of entertainment media. I think the Mario Movie did well because it was both faithful to the game and extremely mass market friendly.

And also the idea that Hollywood executives are shook is just....wrong. This isn't some kind of disruptive experimental indie film doing gangbusters, it's an animated movie by goddamn Illumination Pictures with a huge marketing budget featuring licensed 80s music doing well off the back of one of the most popular and successful IPs in the world. This is absolutely Hollywood approved, and I have no idea why you'd think otherwise. Hollywood Executives are ecstatic over this and greenlighting more movies exactly like it, because making movies like the Mario Movie is an extremely solvable formula. This is like saying Hollywood Executives were shook over the MCU movies doing well because they were accurate to the tone and the lore of the comics.

Last edited:
I'm going to be honest, I don't really understand your takes here, like, at all.

Well, kinda. I agree that this shows that movies that are accurate to the source material can and will do well, and it's what audiences want. That being said, I don't know why it would be so important that the movie follows the structure and mechanics of a game. If I wanted something that was so pitch accurate to a video game, I'd just....play the game. The whole interesting part of an adaptation is to see how it's adaptated and changed to fit a different form of entertainment media. I think the Mario Movie did well because it was both faithful to the game and extremely mass market friendly.

And also the idea that Hollywood executives are shook is just....wrong. This isn't some kind of disruptive experimental indie film doing gangbusters, it's an animated movie by goddamn Illumination Pictures with a huge marketing budget featuring licensed 80s music doing well off the back of one of the most popular and successful IPs in the world. This is absolutely Hollywood approved, and I have no idea why you'd think otherwise. Hollywood Executives are ecstatic over this and greenlighting more movies exactly like it, because making movies like the Mario Movie is an extremely solvable formula. This is like saying Hollywood Executives were shook over the MCU movies doing well because they were accurate to the tone and the lore of the comics.
As far as "industry stuff" goes I think the only real take they'll get out of this movie is that it's a movie directors can point to when they want to shut up executives that think they know better than the creatives when it comes to accuracy and fan expectations on a piece. I don't really think Hollywood is gonna start flooding out all kinds of gaming movies suddenly, since I presume any decent market analyst will tell their boss "There is a mountain of difference between the interest in a Mario film and the interest in a Crash Bandicoot film, let's not get too hasty."
GTA movie though is totally happening.

I finally got to see it, and what are you talking about. This was the most cookie cutter Hollywood stamped type production I've seen in a long time, outside of maybe the MCU, and even then its in that tier. Nothing to say about anything, just take any old licensed Script we have lying around, throw a bunch of rapid fire yet vapid references in it like it's ready player 1 and the audience will eat it up regardless of quality.

Are the Sonic movies somehow hated with fans? At least the first movie seems to me pretty much in the spirit of the whole franchise. Same is true for Detective Pikachu, which is like almost every Pokémon Story expect for this one twist to give a Pokémon more character.

I finally got to see it, and what are you talking about. This was the most cookie cutter Hollywood stamped type production I've seen in a long time, outside of maybe the MCU, and even then its in that tier. Nothing to say about anything, just take any old licensed Script we have lying around, throw a bunch of rapid fire yet vapid references in it like it's ready player 1 and the audience will eat it up regardless of quality.
Right. But when it comes to Hollywood video game adaptations normally executives feel the need to do something to turn away people and mess up that formula, live making it live action or giving Sonic a cop friend. This time they didn't and it paid off.

And correct me if I'm wrong, this is doing much better than ready player one, yeah? It's doing better than Frozen. Obviously they did something right.

As far as "industry stuff" goes I think the only real take they'll get out of this movie is that it's a movie directors can point to when they want to shut up executives that think they know better than the creatives when it comes to accuracy and fan expectations on a piece. I don't really think Hollywood is gonna start flooding out all kinds of gaming movies suddenly, since I presume any decent market analyst will tell their boss "There is a mountain of difference between the interest in a Mario film and the interest in a Crash Bandicoot film, let's not get too hasty."
GTA movie though is totally happening.
IP is king nowadays, and you can bet there are a lot of Hollywood executives seeing these bing bing wahoo numbers and thinking, holy shit what have we got that can get a slice of this pie? Don't forget this is the industry that tried to launch a cinematic universe to compete with Marvel with the Mummy. The market analyst can tell the boss whatever they want, the boss sees an opportunity for growth and they will take it.

What are you talking about? What do rich Hollywood executives have to be scared about? Do you actually think that there's a big group of Hollywood executives who are upset that a video game movie is making money? Is there a hidden cabal of producers who want to... make video game movies in a Hollywood style, that will be thrown into shambles with the success of... a movie based on one of the biggest gaming franchises?

All they're going to see is an opportunity to make more money. If anything, they're overjoyed; now they can try to run video game adaptations into the ground as much as they have superhero movies and cinematic universes.

I got to see it with my kids over the weekend…this was a video game movie done right. It was a great time, and was good for old and new fans alike.

It isn’t the greatest movie of all time or anything, but it stayed true to what it was adapting. No complaints from me and it deserves all the success, despite how out of touch critics are from the target audience.

Just sat in the theater and waiting with the three kids for the movie to begin !
Lots of people for my town's small theater 👍

Back
Top Bottom