• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion The Simpsons vs The Office: which of these has the best GIF library?

Best GIFs

• The Office

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • The Simpsons

Votes: 30 83.3%

• Total voters

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
Pretty straightforward question for something that can occasionally be quite common in forum interactions. But out of these two, who takes the crown?

Office collectively

Simpsons for the individual gif with
giphy.gif

Though I think Spongebob might beat both

I feel like Simpsons has a deeper pool, just due to having more material to work with. But this admittedly is biased from growing up with Simpsons

The Simpsons handily. The Office was big, but the Simpsons is a cornerstone of modern pop culture. Animation is also more versatile than live action, so the Simpsons fits into a lot more scenarios.

It is hard to pick against the Simpsons in this case. There are 35 years worth of scenes to pick from.

Based on my post history, it’s The Simpsons for me easily for both gifs and still images. There’s a reason “There’s a Simpsons gif for everything” is itself a meme. I just sent a Simpsons reaction to a friend right before clicking into this thread.

I only use The Office reaction gifs/pics without proper context as I haven’t seen the entire show (e.g. “They’re the same picture”).

I think it's because The Office is firmly rooted in mid-2000's Internet and pop culture, so whenever I see an Office gif, it makes me think of old or dated humor and whatnot.
This might be it! Or maybe I'm just weird

Personally, there's something embarrassing about the Office gifs and clips. Something about it rubs me the wrong way.
I think it's because The Office is firmly rooted in mid-2000's Internet and pop culture, so whenever I see an Office gif, it makes me think of old or dated humor and whatnot.
Also because listing on dating profiles that you watch the Office is like listing you like hiking or traveling.

Personally, there's something embarrassing about the Office gifs and clips. Something about it rubs me the wrong way.
I would argue that the show's humor is kind of supposed to be a bit awkward/embarassing?

Also because listing on dating profiles that you watch the Office is like listing you like hiking or traveling.
What about listing on your dating profile that you watch the superior Mike Schur shows: Parks and Recreation, and The Good Place? 😎

oh the answer is The Simpsons btw

I've never even watched it but I'm still heavily steeped in memes and gifs from it. It's like its almost spawned its own sublanguage or something. From the Office I know the "god please no" and the "they're the same picture" and that's pretty much it.

So I posted a gif from The Office on the message board,
which-was-the-style-at-the-time-the-simpsons.gif

How does that even happen
Not allowed to watch it as a kid because "it was filthy," and by the time I was older and more free to make my own entertainment choices I had mostly ditched television and was much more interested in movies and anime. When I did get back into television (in my mid-30s) it was because of the shorter, story-heavy serialized shows that streaming networks were doing. I've definitely been aware of it my whole life but it's always just sorta sailed passed me.

Not allowed to watch it as a kid because "it was filthy," and by the time I was older and more free to make my own entertainment choices I had mostly ditched television and was much more interested in movies and anime. When I did get back into television (in my mid-30s) it was because of the shorter, story-heavy serialized shows that streaming networks were doing. I've definitely been aware of it my whole life but it's always just sorta sailed passed me.
You should really fix this.

The Office has a similar issue to Parks and Recreation when recommending it to someone. The first seasons aren’t great, largely because the show is sticking too closely to its inspirational show’s tone (British Office for the US Office, US Office for Parks and Recreation). The characters are meaner and the tone is more cynical, in a way that doesn’t really fit the actors. Once the shows get a chance to breath and differentiate themselves, they get a lot better.

The Office has a similar issue to Parks and Recreation when recommending it to someone. The first seasons aren’t great, largely because the show is sticking too closely to its inspirational show’s tone (British Office for the US Office, US Office for Parks and Recreation). The characters are meaner and the tone is more cynical, in a way that doesn’t really fit the actors. Once the shows get a chance to breath and differentiate themselves, they get a lot better.
I had this conversation with a friend just a couple weeks ago where she had tried to watch Parks for an episode of two and just hated how mean and cynical it was, and I was like "Literally just skip the first season. Skip it. Parks starts with season 2." 😅

Simpsons and it's not even close.

Though I will confess I've not watched much of the US Office. I was never a fan of the UK version even at the time, though a large part of that is probably just not finding Ricky Gervais funny at all. The US version just kinda passed me by as a result even though I hear it's better.

Back
Top Bottom