• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club The roadblocks of your childhood.

I just remember in Super Metroid, the wall jump part (where the little critters show you how it's done). Had my brother helped me with that after being stuck 30 minutes

I just remembered another one. This one is from Frogger The Great Quest. A really bad 3d platformers take on frogger on the PS2.

Namely there was a part where you're on a ship and you need to ring a bell to progress through the level.

I figured out that I needed to ring the bell, but I forgot I could spit in 1st person which is what you needed to do. So I would jump up and try to hit the damn thing over and over. Sometimes I'd mislead myself and see if there were other places to go on the ship. Eventually after weeks of no progress, I just gave up.

Wasn't until I was much older that I realized I needed to spit at it.

I'm not sure WHY I had this trouble but Final Fantasy X in Seymour battle on the snow mountain. I just couldn't beat him and don't even know why it was that hard for me anymore.
Seymour Flux is mine too. I got stuck several times in FFX but this was the one that led to me putting down the game (despite absolutely loving it). It wasn't until the remaster that I actually finished it. I breezed by the fight.

I'm not sure WHY I had this trouble but Final Fantasy X in Seymour battle on the snow mountain. I just couldn't beat him and don't even know why it was that hard for me anymore.
This is actually a very common roadblock in FFX. Mt. Gagazet is a pretty big difficulty spike already and that Seymour fight is a huge pain if you’re not well leveled and prepared. He’s probably the biggest block in the game other than maybe Yunalesca with her zombie nonsense, she also can be tough on a first time run before you figure out what you’re doing.

My best friend and I spent a summer playing through his grandma's NES collection, and we got deep into Star Tropics. Loved it, up until the part where you needed a code from the instruction booklet. His grandma had thrown away everything but the games for efficient storage, so.. there it was, that game was done.

We moved on to the original Zelda, were getting confused finding our way around after the second or third dungeon so we dedicated a day or two to mapping the entire map out in a sketchbook, screen by screen, until we had it all. And then set off to playing through the rest of the game. Got all the way to the point where we needed to go to Ganon's dungeon, and could not for the life of us figure out where to bomb for the entrance. We got close, too, just never put a bomb on that one specific tile.

It was before the web or GameFAQs or anything like that. The summer of giving up on games.

Epilogue: decades later he was home on leave and his grandma's house had been cleaned out so he got all her games, including a Game Genie," and we decided to play through Zelda and actually beat it this time. I literally was like "Dude, I googled it, I know where to bomb now." 😂 So we decided to use a take-no-damage code with the Game Genie so we could easily breeze through it in one night just to say we finally did it. We stayed up extremely late and actually managed to get from the start all the way to Ganon's dungeon in one sitting, meandered our way through the dungeon, and eventually accidentally stumbled across Ganon.. without first picking up the Silver Arrows. We couldn't damage him, and since we never died and *couldn't die, we had no way to save.

So to this day we've still never beaten the original LoZ. And considering the efforts we put into that and what ended up coming of them, I actually kinda don't want to. I think it's a better story this way. 😅

I don't remember why, but I got stuck on the boss of Twilight Town as a kid in Chain of Memories. Never managed to beat it before someone stole my GBA. I have yet to beat the game (or any Kingdom Hearts title for that matter) to this day.

Another roadblock was -- and this is a super ridiculous one, but... -- this cave in Pokémon Silver? The very first mandatory cave you go through that is pretty much a straight line on the first visit?
Union_Cave_1F_GS.png

I got stuck here for two weeks because I was laser-focused on the ladder and thinking I had to find Surf or some special item to navigate the basement. 🤷‍♂️ I recall even waiting for reruns of early Johto episodes of the anime in hopes of getting a hint, to no avail. I eventually just restarted the game and ended up getting through with zero issue, amazed at the fact I didn't think of just... walking further down the path before. Fast-forward to the Elite Four, where I realized too late I could have trained the other Pokémon in my party. I beat the game, Red and all, on the third restart.

This jerk face! Insanely hard for me as a little kid!

Me and my brother would take turns fighting it! I swear it took us a couple of weeks, lol.

This is handily the worst boss in Fusion. This goddamn thing still scares the crap out of me after twenty years.

On the subject of Metroid - for a very long time, I was constantly underpowered when facing the Omega Pirate in Prime. Heck, I did beat Prime 2 before I ever beat Prime due to how much I struggled with him (and the later Meta Ridley).

There's also a puzzle in one of the later sections in TechnoMage that I could never solve - don't know if it was in the Tower or the Volcano area. Silver also had something weird going on that I could never figure out, so I could never take the bathyscape down to Spire.

By far the biggest roadblock though was time - I was only allowed short play time per week and thus never gained the patience to handle these kinds of roadblocks.

Back
Top Bottom