• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Politics The right's new rhetoric to criminalizing LGBT people is a slippery slope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pronouns
She/Her
I was talking to people in a comment section about a prison inmate who murdered two fellow inmates who were serving time for sex crimes. Naturally so many people in the section were talking about how he's a hero and that pedophiles have no rights and that they deserve to be extra judicially killed. I was one of the few people that piped in saying maybe that's not a great attitude which of course led to people calling me a pedophile.

The "pedophiles have no rights rhetoric" is very dangerous. It's a slippery slope. Vigilanteism is an act of hubris, because violence is fun and it doesn't stop being fun when the person receiving the violence doesn't actually deserve the violence.

In particular what's dangerous about this rhetoric, is that while you and I might define a pedophile with a sensible fixed definition, it can lead to the far right blanket branding all marginalized people as pedophiles to justify take away all rights from them.

Right now we're seeing LGBT people, and trans people in particular, being branded with the label of 'pedophile" and "groomer" irrespective of any behavior they have actually engaged in in order to justify taking away their rights which could lead to genocide.

One of the hallmarks of a moral panic is that a label such as "pedophile" or "Satan worshiper" or "critical race theory" loses its fixed definition and becomes a proxy for every social conflict. If pedophiles have no rights at all, then people branded as pedophiles have no rights.

So then some bad faith actors will have an incentive to blanket brand everyone they don't like irrespective of behavior, as pedophiles because then they can bypass things like due process and encourage terrorism and vigilantism

Oh and before anyone does this, when you respond to things like this saying "you are defending them therefore, you must be a pedophile then." You are illustrating the exact point I am calling out. Not only am I not defending them, using accusations of pedophilia as a proxy for other social conflicts or disagreements is the exact thing that I am calling out.

That leads me to talking about some of my abusers in the past. This is personal for me. As some of you know, I'm a survivor of an abusive relationship, the person that I used to date has a history of accusing not only me but every other ex of hers of doing things either she did, or of accusing them of sex crimes. It was also a frequent libelous accusation level against me by kiwi farms based off of nonsense evidence. They actually started from the core premise that I'm at pedo because they didn't like me and looked for anything out of decades of posting history that might look a little iffy. I'm not the only one she's targeted this way and I have lots of stories about people she has blackmailed with nonsense. In the time that I was with her I've seen her scam people out of money, including me and when she can't scam people anymore with her son stories she starts making libulous accusations.

Here's another problem too, in reality we can't do anything at all about a pedophile to stop them until we catch them, until we know that they did what they did. The people that get away with this sort of thing are in positions of trust, they often know their victims. They've built fortresses of social protection like Harvey Weinstein, Jeffrey Epstein, Josh Duggar, or Jimmy Saville. There's a whole cottage industry, even after the me too movement, of publicists, libel lawyers, crooked tabloids who buy up stories and kill them. These institutional abilities silence victims.

Counterintuitively these stigma and claiming that these pedophiles are inhuman monsters with no rights at all makes it harder to catch them. If a pedophile is inhuman then it makes it harder for you to believe that someone close to you or someone in a position of trust that you like may have that kind of dark secret.

Josh Duggar was a member of a cult that was being groomed for Republican politics. It was in the interest of the cult to cover up his crimes. They sent him to therapy but they sent him to therapy with the same cult that gave him the distorted values in the first place. Once his crimes became as extensive as they were, because shit rolls uphill, they had an incentive to continue covering up his crimes, rather than turning him into the police immediately. The same dynamic was involved with Jimmy Savile and Jerry Sandusky. These people's crimes stained the institutions that they were associated with and those institutions had an incentive to cover up the crimes rather than hitting the brakes.

It goes back to that stigma of making them out to be inhuman. The sad truth is that they are not inhuman. Their crimes are all too human, they are evil. Non-humans don't do evil. Because there's no middle ground between innocent and pure evil, there's no compromise, no gradient and so the cover-ups happen. And so victims are doubted and so these problems are allowed to fester.

This issue also fuels things like Qanon. Qanon is silly sauce. It's also a dangerous lie that nearly caused a coup and an overthrow of the United States government. People's ability to sort nonsense from sense gets clouded when their natural sympathy towards child victims of sexual abuse comes into conflict with alleged pedophiles. When you point out the holes in their baloney worldview, they think you are with the pedophiles or some kind of sympathizer.

So yes, in my view pedophiles are humans and they do have a right not to be killed in prison. I don't know what the solution is for their particular deviance or their hungers. I don't know what exactly is wrong with them but letting prison inmates just wantonly kill them is not a good answer. Nobody should be getting killed in jail. Everyone has rights. If we start saying that some people don't have any rights it's a slippery slope. Vigilantism is an act of hubris that doesn't stop at the worst of the worst. The notion that these people are inhuman actually makes it harder to catch them and causes institutions to protect them. We also had to consider how this attitude fuels things like qanon and how many reactionaries who own guns consider all LGBT people and trans people in particular to be groomers and pedos by default.

Right now we're seeing LGBT people, and trans people in particular, being branded with the label of 'pedophile" and "groomer" irrespective of any behavior they have actually engaged in in order to justify taking away their rights which could lead to genocide

you're losing me here, why or where does this happen exactly? usually when someone is called a pedophile it's because they are involved with minors in illicit behaviors. not out of the blue for no reason.

you're losing me here, why or where does this happen exactly? usually when someone is called a pedophile it's because they are involved with minors in illicit behaviors. not out of the blue for no reason.
it's happening in American right wing media circles advocating for anti-trans laws and shit like Florida's 'don't say gay' bill. they've attached themselves to the term "grooming" to characterize like, openly gay teachers. vile shit

it's happening in American right wing media circles advocating for anti-trans laws and shit like Florida's 'don't say gay' bill. they've attached themselves to the term "grooming" to characterize like, openly gay teachers. vile shit

Alright, that I can understand, but that's a case of people miscalling minorities in order to insult them. What I don't understand in OP's post is the link between "people are miscalling LGBTs as pedos even when they didnt do anything" and "pedophiles arent inhumans they should be defended". What people hate about pedos (to the point of killing tem) is the fact that they commit illicit behaviours with children, not that they might be called that way?

I think it's perfectly fine morally speaking to hate pedophiles and consider them inhumans tbh, that's up to anyone's morality.

It's only a matter of time before there's a shooting at a Disney park IMO. Republicans are going to ride the whole "won't someone think of the children?!" hysteria all the way to mid-term victory while democrats do nothing and LGBTQ people are attacked and harassed.

I am so tired of evangelical Christianity. These people scare me more than devout worshipers of Islam ever could.

Alright, that I can understand, but that's a case of people miscalling minorities in order to insult them.
Yes, exactly. Except "to insult them" is putting the repercussions and motivations very lightly.

I think it's perfectly fine morally speaking to hate pedophiles and consider them inhumans tbh, that's up to anyone's morality.

No one is debating this - the topic is about our judicial system considering them inhumans.

No one is debating this - the topic is about our judicial system considering them inhumans.

I am a bit conflicted on this one. On one hand, I have a young daughter and I can see myself going fire and brimstone if anyone laid hands on her. On the other hand, it is also said to be a mental illness to be attracted to prepubescent children.

So honestly, I have no answer for this. May sound naive, but psychiatric hospitals? Which is contrary to what I feel, since I would seriously hurt anyone that touched my daughter.

As for the OP, that won't stop anytime soon. Right ring evangelicals will keep pushing that narrative to insult minority communities. We just have to make sure that their views become marginalized to the point that it is a speck in the mass of voices.

You have to be cautious before calling anyone a monster. Deshumanizing people is the first step before feeling entitled to commit atrocities to them.
Pedophiles are just the most obvious horrors among the crimes, because it stains innocence and preys on the weak.

In the end, it's sometimes hard to swallow, but they're still humans and will have to be judged by institutional justice. And in the most severe way, hopefully.

So honestly, I have no answer for this. May sound naive, but psychiatric hospitals? Which is contrary to what I feel, since I would seriously hurt anyone that touched my daughter.
I get that 100%. We’re often subjective when it comes to our own, but can be objective when we lack attachments. Shouldn’t let people close to the case mete out punishment.

I am a bit conflicted on this one. On one hand, I have a young daughter and I can see myself going fire and brimstone if anyone laid hands on her. On the other hand, it is also said to be a mental illness to be attracted to prepubescent children.

As for the OP, that won't stop anytime soon. Right ring evangelicals will keep pushing that narrative to insult minority communities. We just have to make sure that their views become marginalized to the point that it is a speck in the mass of voices.

Absolutely, child abusers are terrifying and they align with all our worst fears and many of us have traumatic memories. And for the rare predators who fits into all of our fears, the stranger danger kidnapper in the white van, I don't know what to do beyond containment. But there's a bigger picture.

We're so busy doing this two minutes hate, trying to one up each other in expressing disgust and righteous anger we lose sight of the ones who fly under the radar. The people we like.

There are troubling points here eg a false equivalence drawn between the far right and the left, and this post seems designed to deliberately blur the difference. There is no room for this sort of ideology on famiboards - Donnie, Harina, blondkayvon
The title of this thread is "The right's new rhetoric to criminalizing LGBTQ people is a slippery slope."

Your content is largely about pedophilia.

Honestly, I'm seeing far more leftists conflating P with LGBTQ than right-wingers at this point. Difficult to see how this isn't a serious misstep.

Let's start with this new right wing rhetoric. Where did you uncover this rhetoric?

I was talking to people in a comment section
Ah, I see.

It's a slippery slope. Vigilanteism is an act of hubris,
How do you feel about the "punch a nazi" campaign?
How do you feel about the physical assaults against Andy Ngo because they don't like his reporting?
How about other prison murders in general?

Do any of these count as vigilantism? Are any of these slippery slopes?

Why did you choose this particular example to lean on? Is your problem really with vigilantism?

because violence is fun and it doesn't stop being fun when the person receiving the violence doesn't actually deserve the violence.
I'm sorry..........what?

In particular what's dangerous about this rhetoric, is that while you and I might define a pedophile with a sensible fixed definition, it can lead to the far right blanket branding all marginalized people as pedophiles to justify take away all rights from them.
Ah, the "far right" might do something to brand people unfairly. Because.....that would be very uncharacteristic of .....the "far right?"

Why would the "far right" need to rebrand groups to something else in order to hate them? Isn't that kind of the "far right"s thing?

Speaking of poorly defined terms that get flexed to brand people....who do you define as "far right?"

How do you feel about people on the left branding anyone on the right as racist, homophobic, and misogynistic?

Is that a concern that applies in the same way here? If not, why?

Right now we're seeing LGBT people, and trans people in particular, being branded with the label of 'pedophile" and "groomer" irrespective of any behavior they have actually engaged in in order to justify taking away their rights which could lead to genocide.
Where? Who? What is your evidence for this?

One of the hallmarks of a moral panic is that a label such as "pedophile" or "Satan worshiper" or "critical race theory" loses its fixed definition and becomes a proxy for every social conflict. If pedophiles have no rights at all, then people branded as pedophiles have no rights.
This is why we have legal definitions and don't rely on the continual redefining of words by activist groups to determine "rights."

The people that get away with this sort of thing are in positions of trust, they often know their victims.
Interesting point.

We might think about constructing laws to protect children from such dangers. We might think it odd that a large group of people want to have private conversations about sex with kindergartners while separated from their parents, for example.

It goes back to that stigma of making them out to be inhuman. The sad truth is that they are not inhuman. Their crimes are all too human, they are evil. Non-humans don't do evil. Because there's no middle ground between innocent and pure evil, there's no compromise, no gradient and so the cover-ups happen. And so victims are doubted and so these problems are allowed to fester.
I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say with this. Do you have some kind of knowledge about the lack of existence of evil in Non-humans or something?

When you point out the holes in their baloney worldview, they think you are with the pedophiles or some kind of sympathizer.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not understanding your thesis at all.

I would love to see you trace this one back in a way that is remotely coherent.
You mean give an example? Ok. This thread.

Honestly, I came back to just erase the reply because I don't have interest or time in getting into debates about this stuff, and I know that's where it's all going to go.

Since you've already quoted it, I'll leave it, but I'm done.

Honestly, I came back to just erase the reply because I don't have interest or time in getting into debates about this stuff, and I know that's where it's all going to go.

So this thread is an example of "far more leftists conflating P with LGBTQ than right-wingers," than a well documented hate campaign by the right-wing to label LGBT people as groomers and pedophiles? Either your point is incoherent at best or you're here to smear the left as pro-pedophile, while also trying to duck out and having your points go unchallenged.

So this thread is an example of "far more leftists conflating P with LGBTQ than right-wingers," than a well documented hate campaign by the right-wing to label LGBT people as groomers and pedophiles? Either your point is incoherent at best or you're here to smear the left as pro-pedophile, while also trying to duck out and having your points go unchallenged.
Not sure if they're trying to smear the left as pro-pedophile, or if they'res saying that the rhetoric that LGBTQIA+ people are groomers is coming primarily from the left.

Either way, fuck him

I recognize the talk of the latest idiotic far right slander campaign of calling everyone pedophiles and groomers, of course, usually personified by right wing characters who are, or directly associating with, actual de facto child predators, like Gaetz, MTG, and Boebert, because of course it's always projection.

But there seems like a weird second part to this which just.... Isn't connecting the dots for me.

Not sure if they're trying to smear the left as pro-pedophile, or if they'res saying that the rhetoric that LGBTQIA+ people are groomers is coming primarily from the left.

Either way, fuck him
Wonder if our good friend Samurai Goro will clarify these statements

Despite their avatar being a manatee, it's reminding me more of a sea lion.

Last edited:

Dawg, the thread was blatantly about how dangerous this rhetoric is, given how pedophiles are treated. Yeah, the thread over focuses on pedophiles given its premise, but since it's about the rise in false accusations of pedophilia and grooming from the right, the idea is there.

It is an entirely understandable reaction to have sheer hatred for pedophiles, and honestly, despite it being an illness, I don't think you can adequately justify that someone should not be treated the same if they're like that. However, the point still stands that we run the risk that this reaction is going to spill into hatred and extreme mistreatment of LGBT people, because we are presently seeing LGBT people treated exactly like this, for no other reason than they are not in the closet.

I was required to change the title by the mods because including the p word might cause issues with search results

Huh. Don't envy having to make that decision.

On the one hand, yeah the pedophile word in the title would wreak all kinds of issues I'm sure.

On the other hand this is a literal stochastic terrorism political strategy being used by our... God help us elected politicians. It's important beyond words. It's also somehow completely mundane yup it's Tuesday as far as the antics of the American right are concerned. This is what .. the 4th? 5th? Plug in Replacement word for demonizing and othering? It's like they are literally using a fucked up far right version of mad libs, just come up with a new word to fill In The blank. This time it's pedophiles. Anyone who disagrees with them is a pedophile now.

Now I don't know what comments section you were in, where everybody was cheering on the extrajudicial violent murder of two people already in custody for their alleged crimes. But that does not sound like a good place for good people to be.

And that's at the core of this. Like all authoritarian ploys, this strategy appeals to a certain frame of mind. It does not appeal to fundamentally good people. It does appeal to people who think they can weaponize the concept of 'being good'.

This is not going to fool good people into slippery sloping into denying LGBTQ their rights. These people already wanted to do this, and just needed an excuse to hide behind.

Its a bit disjointed, but I feel like you are wanting to get in front of this, to stem the tide of this disinformation to good people before they are fooled.

I don't feel like that is a thing that exists in this world. Those people aren't being fooled, they are being fed what they want to hear, to act on things they already wanted to act on, but felt couldn't get away with. I feel like anyone you did manage to intercept and get your message out to first, and have them listen to reason..... I dont feel like you would not be gaining an ally.

I feel like you would be gaining a liability.

The plot relies on guilt by association, the con relies on the premise since the LGBTQ person Is already a 'sex criminal' in one aspect, odds may as well be they are a pedophile sex criminal too. I am undoubtedly sure you did not miss this. The premise, the strategy, revolves around appealing to people with the belief that being gay, or trans, or bi etc. is, itself, already being a "sex criminal".

Last edited:
I'm not going to lie, I haven't read OP or much of the discussion here because.. I'm just tired man. I'm tired of having my community's safety toyed with to secure a few extra points in an election. I'm fucking tired of taking one step forward and two steps back. Luckily I'm in a much better place of acceptance with myself these days than when I was young; I'm lucky to have a loving partner and stable life and a privilege to live in a bubble of an accepting community... but my heart aches for every person earlier on in their journey.

All I can do right now is continue to be visible and use my voice and vote against this bullshit. That feels like enough right now I suppose.

I've heard homophobes equaling gay people with pedophiles my whole life, especially using that rethoric to invalidate our rights to adopt children and constitute families but somehow there are people here who apparently don't think it's a thing.

Like, if you don't have anything to say about something, just stay quiet. Some things are infuriating to read, and no one needs to read it.

I've heard homophobes equaling gay people with pedophiles my whole life, especially using that rethoric to invalidate our rights to adopt children and constitute families but somehow there are people here who apparently don't think it's a thing.

Like, if you don't have anything to say about something, just stay quiet. Some things are infuriating to read, and no one needs to read it.

It's been the long con for as long as I can remember, it's just gone mask off now. These people are who this rhetoric is aiming for. They have already made up their minds, they have just been waiting for it to be 'acceptable' enough for them to feel emboldened enough to crawl out from under the rocks upon hearing the deplorable pied pipers flute.

The only thing that makes someone a pedophile is being a pedophile. Sexually preying on children child porn I don't need to go on. The only way to defend pedophilia, is to defend the act of sexually preying on children.

That's it. Nothing else. It's not a slippery slope, that would imply something accidental, or they didn't mean to, or even know they were doing it. That's giving them way too much credit, too much benefit of the doubt.

They know. It's something that's impossible not to know. It's a conscious decision to be a bag of poo.

It's not a slippery slope. It's an elevator. They take their mask off, push the down button get in, and choose the bottom garbage floor. They know exactly where they are going and what they are doing the whole time.

It’s also worth mentioning that there are so-called “minor-attracted people” or MAPs who are trying to convince everyone they are actually a part of the LGBT community.
They insist it’s their “sexuality” and that they did not choose it. These people do not even hesitate to tell the age of kids they are attracted to and insist that some kids can consent. Of course, they are not accepted in the community, but it does hurt the public image a lot.
That’s why it becomes so hard for LGBT people to fight for their rights, and they sometimes even need lawyers like ucmjdefense.com to prove they have the right simply to exist.

Last edited:
That is almost certainly a 4chan op
tbqh, I literally thought the same of your OP - conflating pedophiles with LGBT people, but from the other end. Doing this is, as you say, a 4chan facsist strategy. Pedophiles are not part of that group.Yes, they probably shouldn't be murdered in prison, but you don't fight for them under the rainbow flag, that's wholly deranged. It's a right wing lie that trans people are grooming children, and that is just feeding them ammo. I'm sorry if I've mangled your point, but I think this is a you thing, not a me thing.

Spam account permanently banned - Aurc
To start off, let me say that criminalizing any group of people based on their sexual orientation is downright wrong and unjust. As we move forward in our society, the goal should be progress, not regression. We should be working towards creating a world where every individual, regardless of their sexual orientation, feels safe, respected, and protected under the law paulmankin.

Actually, no, I'm absolutely debating this.

Per OP, the blanket demonisation of the term is part of the problem. If a pedophile comes forward, who has never touched a kid, and seeks therapy, they should be SUPPORTED in that decision, not called subhuman by the rest of society.

If and only if they abuse, then yes, we can punish them as a society, but like all crimes, criminal justice should mean rehabilitation, not leaving to rot.

I don't care how much you hate someone, I don't care how justified that hate is, human rights are human rights, even if you don't like them.

It's only a matter of time before there's a shooting at a Disney park IMO. Republicans are going to ride the whole "won't someone think of the children?!" hysteria all the way to mid-term victory while democrats do nothing and LGBTQ people are attacked and harassed.

I am so tired of evangelical Christianity. These people scare me more than devout worshipers of Islam ever could.
Victory? Statistically, anti-LGBT positions are extremely unpopular. Biden is, again statistically, an unpopular president, and yet the Republicans failed to gain control of the legislature in the mid-terms. Why? Because their positions are not popular. All they have is that they are not democrats, that they represent change at all costs, even if that change is bad, and yet still they failed to win real power because their positions are simply not popular, even though they notoriously love Gerrymandering.

On the subject of Gerrymandering, isn't it funny that the party near outright dedicated to the concept is pushing the lie of "the other side" committing "election fraud"? Hm. Almost as if every conservative accusation is a confession, or something.

Please refrain from drawing comparison between marginalized groups and pedophiles. Regardless of the intent it is gross. - MondoMega, xghost777, VolcanicDynamo, Josh5890
I can‘t speak for what the situation is like in the US and I think I don’t really get your point OP. Though I agree that we should not act like pedophiles are some kind of inhuman monsters and accept that even the nicest person is capable of doing horrible things. Too often people judge a book by its cover and then rather accuse people who don‘t fit in their social norms (be it LGBTQ people, someone who has a disability, poor people, etc). This kind of framing is very dangerous.

This thread is over a year old and has been bumped by spam bots twice since. We do not believe the discussion needs to be continued, and the thread will be locked.

- MondoMega, xghost777, Irene, PixelKnight, Derachi, VolcanicDynamo, Josh5890

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom