• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation The PS5 has sold 40million consoles as of July 16, 2023. - 10million units since Jan 2023.

We launched PlayStation 5 in November 2020 and the world was in a strange and different place than when we announced the console in 2019. Despite the unprecedented challenges of COVID, our teams and our partners worked diligently to deliver PS5 on time. We continued to face headwinds with the pandemic, and it took months for supply chains to normalize so we could have the inventory to keep up with demand. For more months than I care to remember, we kept thanking our community for their patience while working through these issues. But now PS5 supply is well-stocked and we are seeing that pent up demand finally being met.

With the support of PlayStation fans, we have reached a milestone of 40 million PS5 consoles sold through* to gamers since launch. Thank you so much to our community of gamers – without you this would have been an impossible task.

It's always interesting to think about how not front-loaded console sales are. Like, even consoles that sell insanely fast like the PS5 or Switch only have a small fraction of their total sales come from these early years. Then next thing you know a few years from now PS5 will be at more than 100M units!

Congratulations to Sony, now greenlit more smaller games :p

For those curious about the side by side with PS4. Note that this is in calendar years, not fiscal.

PS4 PS5
2013- 4.5m2020- 4.5m
2014- 15.7m2021- 12.7m
2015- 17.6m2022- 13.9m
2016- 19.5m2023- 9m**
2017- 19.4m
2018- 17.7m
2019- 14.6m
2020- 4.8m
2021- 1.9m
2022- 0.1m*

*- PS4 shipments stopped being reported in March 2022.
**Through 1H 2023.

Right now, the PS5 is roughly 2m behind the PS4. I think it will barely pass the PS4 when it is all said and done, but it will be close.

What is this in comparison to the switch?

Switch was at 41.67 million globally at 30 months on the market. (People like to point out Switch only had two holiday periods during this time and the ps5 had 3, FWIW)

Over the next 3 months (holiday period), Switch sold another 11 million.

So, we can guesstimate that the Switch had at least sold 50 million units by month 32. So ~10 million more.

I find it hard to believe that the ps5 sold faster in the US than the Switch, though.

Kinda disappointed. I was expecting PS5 to fail so Sony can go back to handheld business but this time taking it seriously. Hopefully another hybrid console like Switch. Home consoles are not exciting anymore, I can't tell the difference between generational visuals and innovation is stalled as hell. Even PSVR2 brought nothing new to the table.

I really miss Playstation of old. Almost as good as Nintendo when it comes to innovation and varying budgets in first party games allowed them to release more games a year than anyone else!

I was expecting PS5 to fail so Sony can go back to handheld business but this time taking it seriously.
Hope is one thing... but expect? After the huge success that was the PS4? It would take several generations of home console failure before PlayStation would even consider going back to handheld lol. Doesn't feel rooted in reality

Hope is one thing... but expect? After the huge success that was the PS4? It would take several generations of home console failure before PlayStation would even consider going back to handheld lol. Doesn't feel rooted in reality
I don't know, Sony being inspired by Nintendo isn't a new thing. They're already turning PS5 into a Wii U with an upcoming controller. I just want them to copy the best idea Nintendo has ever had: hybrid console. I can't tell how realistic it would be and i can't guess what would it take to have Sony make such drastic changes. I'm just tired of consoles whose whole deal are "even more photorealistic visuals" This is what base PS consoles have been all about for the last 3 generations.

Kinda disappointed. I was expecting PS5 to fail so Sony can go back to handheld business but this time taking it seriously. Hopefully another hybrid console like Switch. Home consoles are not exciting anymore, I can't tell the difference between generational visuals and innovation is stalled as hell. Even PSVR2 brought nothing new to the table.

I really miss Playstation of old. Almost as good as Nintendo when it comes to innovation and varying budgets in first party games allowed them to release more games a year than anyone else!

So, if PS5 failed, Sony would go back to... one of their biggest failures in video game hardware with the Vita???

Loved the PSP, loved the Vita, but those times are over and they're not coming back.

Last edited:
So, if PS5 failed, Sony would go back to... one of their most biggest failures in video game hardware with the Vita???
Didn't say anything about Vita. I wanted them to take inspiration from gaming's biggest success story; Switch. Hybrid should be the path for gaming in the future, even Valve investing in it. Yeah, next PS could be weaker if it had a portable version of it but so be it. Much more useful than having a little boost in photoreality. I can't think of what else a PS6 could have in store.

Sony would have to fuck up hard to have a failing home console same way Nintendo would have to fuck up hard to have a failing handheld console.

You'd just be setting yourself up for disappointment in hoping for either of those.

Didn't say anything about Vita. I wanted them to take inspiration from gaming's biggest success story; Switch. Hybrid should be the path for gaming in the future, even Valve investing in it. Yeah, next PS could be weaker if it had a portable version of it but so be it. Much more useful than having a little boost in photoreality. I can't think of what else a PS6 could have in store.

What PS6 has in store is exactly what you said; more power, more photorealism. That's what Sony is now and that's what Sony will be for the forseeable future. If you want portable games that don't focus on photorealism, thankfully Nintendo has you covered!

What PS6 has in store is exactly what you said; more power, more photorealism. That's what Sony is now and that's what Sony will be for the forseeable future. If you want portable games that don't focus on photorealism, thankfully Nintendo has you covered!
Yeah I wish things worked like that way, a console maker "covering all the fronts you need". Nah, FF16 is only on Playstation and I have to stay at home to actually beat it. The console is still getting quite the number of exclusives despite the output from first party is nowhere near PS2 or even PS3 levels. And Nintendo is still not up there to offer everything that a console can (but it's at its best right now). I still can't play Yakuza games on it despite how old they are...

But it's not all bad. That upcoming PS5 controller with display thing, will save me from getting stuck in my living room. There's still some innovation left in PS brand, I guess.

I don't know, Sony being inspired by Nintendo isn't a new thing. They're already turning PS5 into a Wii U with an upcoming controller. I just want them to copy the best idea Nintendo has ever had: hybrid console. I can't tell how realistic it would be and i can't guess what would it take to have Sony make such drastic changes. I'm just tired of consoles whose whole deal are "even more photorealistic visuals" This is what base PS consoles have been all about for the last 3 generations.
Don't get me wrong, I'd also rather all future consoles to ever exist be hybrids, but one of Sony's biggest selling points is shiny new graphics. Can't do that if the handheld literally melts in your hands on a half hour battery life

Back
Top Bottom