• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News The Pokémon Company has registered a new subsidiary called "Pokémon Works", located in the same building as ILCA

Remember, ILCA has been a support studio above all else and Pokémon Works can just be their dedicated support studio, not necessarily working on a full game themselves.

ILCA have helped on a variety of things including HOME, Sleep and SV...despite BDSP

And heck, remember this is a TPC thing, not a Game Freak thing, so there's absolutely nothing to say "Oh it'll be main series". TPC doesn't control how the main series goes, they march to the beat of Game Freak's drum
companiesbig.jpg

Pretty sure that Khu was the one that started the “rumour” of Game Freak/TPC breaking connections with ILCA, so I don’t even think they have solid sources anymore. Wonder how they’ll try and spin this.

If anything, they were probably impressed that ILCA got something working out with such a short turnaround. Hopefully the next project, whatever it is, has a much more stable development.
Khu was also insisting the next game was Unova, so I agree his sources have dried up somewhat

I think Game Freak was originally going to do BDSP, then out of BDSP eventually came Arceus, and TPC had the good sense to understand that it was necessary to rely on outsourcing for the overall improvement of the franchise. This resulted in an insane schedule for BDSP, because it was an unforeseen event at the outset. But the next remake will be much less "improvised" in my opinion.
I disagree with this.

My view is they were worried about backlash for Legends are the whole Dexit stuff so commissioned BDSP to placate things.

Game Freak don't just want to do stuff that's expected, they want to surprise us. They have shown us this time and time again

Last edited:
So ILCA really is involved in this. Kinda baffling that their next project is Sand Land is a high budget UE5 game (which is sure to be a bomb) while BDSP didn't have the half of the effort of that. Maybe this new company will change things.

And now ILCA holding hands of both TPC and Namco, we might expect more support from them on Nintendo systems. Like, Ace Combat 8 on the successor!

Remember, ILCA has been a support studio above all else and Pokémon Works can just be their dedicated support studio, not necessarily working on a full game themselves.

ILCA have helped on a variety of things including HOME, Sleep and SV...despite BDSP

And heck, remember this is a TPC thing, not a Game Freak thing, so there's absolutely nothing to say "Oh it'll be main series". TPC doesn't control how the main series goes, they march to the beat of Game Freak's drum
I don't understand why you're being so insistent about this. The team that made a remake might make another remake, that's not some crazy idea, so I don't get why you're acting as though it's outlandish to say they could be.

Are people being weird on twitter and you're reacting to that, or something? I don't go on twitter so I don't know what the people there are up to.

I disagree with this.

My view is they were worried about backlash for Legends are the whole Dexit stuff so commissioned BDSP to placate things.

Game Freak don't just want to do stuff that's expected, they want to surprise us. They have shown us this time and time again

Let's go is basically the only thing regarding the mainline games that the company has done in decades that's been surprising on any level. Legends Arceus if you're being really generous (because, "Oh, they're finally getting around to making a more open world pokemon, a decade + late" isn't really surprising). I mean, they've made a bunch of bad decisions that are "surprising" in terrible ways, but I give you enough credit to assume you don't mean those.

ILCA, a studio that's been going through expansion, now registering as a subsidiary, being so that they could go back to just being a support studio on spin offs of varying, much lower, levels of success, after they just put out the most successful remake in series history, is a stretch at best. The pokemon company needs remakes to keep the schedule of releases going, they're having to miss 2024 entirely it seems, and them continuing to hire the company they just had do a remake to do more remakes, whether than means gen 5 or gen 2 redux again, is the most obvious business decision in the world.

I don't understand why you're being so insistent about this. The team that made a remake might make another remake, that's not some crazy idea, so I don't get why you're acting as though it's outlandish to say they could be.

Are people being weird on twitter and you're reacting to that, or something? I don't go on twitter so I don't know what the people there are up to.
They've done more work as Support studio than remakes, even since BDSPP

But yes, people are insistent this means a remake is coming when it doesn't. People are being absolute. I'm saying it's a dumb notion to be absolute

Let's go is basically the only thing regarding the mainline games that the company has done in decades that's been surprising on any level. Legends Arceus if you're being really generous (because, "Oh, they're finally getting around to making a more open world pokemon, a decade + late" isn't really surprising). I mean, they've made a bunch of bad decisions that are "surprising" in terrible ways, but I give you enough credit to assume you don't mean those.

ILCA, a studio that's been going through expansion, now registering as a subsidiary, being so that they could go back to just being a support studio on spin offs of varying, much lower, levels of success, after they just put out the most successful remake in series history, is a stretch at best. The pokemon company needs remakes to keep the schedule of releases going, they're having to miss 2024 entirely it seems, and them continuing to hire the company they just had do a remake to do more remakes, whether than means gen 5 or gen 2 redux again, is the most obvious business decision in the world.
Since BDSP, it has done support work on multiple Pokémon projects. It's illogical to assume this means remakes 100%

He's not saying the company involved in a remake is unlikely to be yet again involved in a remake; he's saying we don't know for certain what the company involved in a remake and a variety of other things will do.

We can assume they'll do a remake, or they'll do Pokémon Sleep 2, but those are just assumptions. People on Twitter are acting like a remake is already confirmed.

Since BDSP, it has done support work on multiple Pokémon projects. It's illogical to assume this means remakes 100%

It's also illogical to assume it doesn't mean remakes 100%, which is the position you're currently taking. At best you're essentially saying "do not speculate or share an opinion on anything", in which case I have to wonder why you're even on a forum.

The most obvious thing in the world would be for them to be doing more work on remakes, but with a more reasonable timeframe since it was pretty public that BDSP was on an accelerated timescale. Until there's actual evidence that they aren't; which would basically have to be some other company making gen 5 remakes, everyone is going to continue assuming they'll be the ones to handle it when the time comes, which is probably already the case.

They've done more work as Support studio than remakes, even since BDSPP

But yes, people are insistent this means a remake is coming when it doesn't. People are being absolute. I'm saying it's a dumb notion to be absolute
everyone knows about the games they were involved in beyond bdsp, that's not really obscure infomation.

people are allowed to speculate, i don't get where your insistence on shutting it down comes from.

Last edited:
everyone knows about the games they were involved in beyond bdsp, that's not really obscure infomation.

people are allowed to speculate, i don't get where your insistence on shutting it down comes from.

I’m betting on Unova remake by ILCA/pokemon works this fall but I understand the @Serebii ‘s frustration. People on the Internet can't speculate calmly; if no BW remake comes out this year, it's okay for me, but for many, it will be a valid reason to complain and criticize TPC. The real issue is that they've built up hype themselves without solid grounds. This happens throughout the gaming world, everybody takes “leaks”/rumor/speculation as fact and if it doesn’t happen here we go with shitstorm and harassment to developers and publishers.

I’m betting on Unova remake by ILCA/pokemon works this fall but I understand the @Serebii ‘s frustration. People on the Internet can't speculate calmly; if no BW remake comes out this year, it's okay for me, but for many, it will be a valid reason to complain and criticize TPC. The real issue is that they've built up hype themselves without solid grounds. This happens throughout the gaming world, everybody takes “leaks”/rumor/speculation as fact and if it doesn’t happen here we go with shitstorm and harassment to developers and publishers.
Just look at how they reacted when TPCi was doing social posts for each Legendary set for each region that are in The Indigo Disk as promo for Indigo Disk. As soon as they hit Unova people went crazy insisting they were teasing Unova remakes for Pokémon Day

It's the difference between "They are likely to release a BW remake because [reasons]" (a position I agree with, btw) and "ILCA has a BW remake ALREADY FINISHED but THEY ARE NOT TELLING US" video (completed with a silly reaction face thumbnail).

The second position also brings the average viewer to potentially unrealistic high expectations, and we know how this ends on the Internet.

It's the difference between "They are likely to release a BW remake because [reasons]" (a position I agree with, btw) and "ILCA has a BW remake ALREADY FINISHED but THEY ARE NOT TELLING US" video (completed with a silly reaction face thumbnail).

The second position also brings the average viewer to potentially unrealistic high expectations, and we know how this ends on the Internet.
I wholeheartedly agree, which is what I think is Serebii’s point regarding operating under absolutes.

What we know:
• ILCA formalized a partnership and studio for Pokemon

What we don’t know:
• If it’s solely for support work, full games or both

I disagree with this.

Game Freak is totally involved in TPC's decisions as an equal shareholder with the other two. If TPC was concerned, that means a company partly owned by Game Freak was concerned.

Moreover, outsourcing remakes is precisely what will enable GF to surprise us with experiments like Arceus or Z-A, since they are relieved of the responsibility for remakes. This decision to outsource remakes is very favorable to the quality of their development cycles, the same way getting support is. And they are inevitably a stakeholder in this decision.

If what you're saying is that we have no certainty that ILCA will do remakes, you're absolutely right. We speculate. What I don't understand is why TPC would stop making remakes at all.

And I also don't understand why the fact that ILCA is working on several different projects with TPC, which is nothing new, would necessarily exclude remakes from the list of joint projects just because some fans didn't like BDSP (and probably rightly so.)

I just don't know why we would assume either way... It's perfectly possible that Pokémon Works will develop remakes. But it's also possible that they won't.

It's ok to speculate, and it's ok to hope for things.

I could see it either way, as game freak looks ahead to next gen i could see this as preparation for next gen titles by working closer with ilca but at the same time even if it left people disappointed, bdsp was still a very successful game and it wouldn't be surprising for tpc or game freak to give ilca more opportunities create games.

I could see it either way, as game freak looks ahead to next gen i could see this as preparation for next gen titles by working closer with ilca but at the same time even if it left people disappointed, bdsp was still a very successful game and it wouldn't be surprising for tpc or game freak to give ilca more opportunities create games.
It just seems unlikely that they would stop making remakes entirely given how reliably popular they are.

It just seems unlikely that they would stop making remakes entirely given how reliably popular they are.
Remakes aren't a new idea that denatures something, they're consubstantial with what the license has been since its inception. Pokémon needs remakes, because Pokémon needs annual releases. It's not Mario, it's not Zelda, it's not Metroid, it's a natively cross-media work that started being cross-media at a time when people couldn't even conceive of what the word meant.

So of course they're going to keep remaking. And I'm not sure we can say that a game like BDSP is a failure. Without even mentioning the good sales figures, this ILCA project is also less criticizable than it seems, given the deadlines.

Even if I despise BDSP I don't put the blame on ILCA, they most likely just executed orders coming from the top.

Maybe this decision was made for the reason of development assistance? Graphics have seemingly always been on the weaker side for console Pokemon, so maybe this decision is to help with stuff like texture work and assets?

I don’t think this was just for remaking purposes, I could be wrong though!

Maybe this decision was made for the reason of development assistance? Graphics have seemingly always been on the weaker side for console Pokemon, so maybe this decision is to help with stuff like texture work and assets?

I don’t think this was just for remaking purposes, I could be wrong though!
I wouldn't argue ALWAYS. We saw from one of their presentations that there's good graphics technology on hand, it just seems like there's never enough time to implement it. Previous games have been absolute stunners for their platforms, Black and White for DS, Sun and Moon for 3DS, Gold/Silver on Game Boy. Even Arceus has good art direction.

Personally I don't want more BDSP style remakes. I think Black and White is an inevitability eventually, and there is a possibility that means a "faithful" ILCA/Works remake soon (especially since the next couple years are stuffed, if it's not this year, I think it'd end up being 2028, since there's PLZA, GEN10, and GEN10DLC for 2025-2027).

If it's nothing but support that's probably a good thing, for Pokémon.

It’ll be interesting to check the Sand Land credits when it releases next month. Jun Taniguchi moved over to Pokemon Sleep after BDSP, but pretty much all of the other BDSP leads have been uncredited since, including director Yuichi Ueda. Maybe some of them were moved onto Bandai Namco Aces as well.
So yeah, very little crossover here and even then it was almost exclusively limited to art staff. No planning/game design overlap at all and only one programmer who worked on both. Though some of the art staff had lead positions on BDSP.

ILCA staff credited on Sand Land (excluding Special Thanks):

Daisuke Ichihara
Nobuyuki Sawada
Tomohiro Tanimura
Masayoshi Yamaoka
Ryota Arakawa
Shogo Kaito
Hiroki Koyama
Yuki Hiromori
Satoru Yamamoto
Kazuhiro Shibuya
Yohei Sakamoto
Yutaka Kondo
Mitsuhiko Masuda
Taiki Noguchi
Juichi Ohno
Shingo Fukuda
Keita Hakamata
Ryosuke Takei
Ayaka Takahashi
Aiko Takimoto
Erika Tanimura
Takatoshi Maeda
Mitsuru Koike
Takeshi Nakanmura
Susumu Kurihara
Ken Kosukegawa
Shota Kosugi
Ryomo Koizumi
Masaya Shimoda
Shuto Matsumoto
Takuya Suzuki
Isami Nakano
Yusuke Goto
Hiroshi Imamura
Junya Matsushita
Yuki Nishimura
Naoya Arita
Jun Watanabe
Yasunori Takeuchi
Masashi Uchikawa
Kentaro Shiraishi
Yuma Yamashita
Takushi Kishita
Kohei Hayashi
Kaiji Matsumoto
Minori Takeda
Ryosuke Saito
Takaya Yoshida
Ryo Kiguma
Kenta Yamaguchi
Shoto Watanabe
Kazutoshi Satoda
Hisashi Sawada
Yuna Ogura
Keiko Manabe
Akito Masui
Miho Aomi
Takashi Hirane
Ryoma Nagata
Yuka Hino
Yoshinobu Okano
Yoehi Yamada
Yuka Konishi
Kazumi Soga
Chiho Yamaji
Shota Sonoda
Shion Kondo
Kentaro Yamamoto
Kozo Watanabe
Atsushi Fusushima
Shoma Hirata
Tomohiko Chono
Shinho Ishikawa
Hitomi Asai
Takuto Kobunai
Kaito Deguchi
Takahiro Oowaki
Tsukasa Izuoka
Manami Urakami
Yohei Ukai
Junya Nakashima
Shogo Kato
Shinji Oka
Wataru Daiguji
Sota Ogura
Masahide Usui
Kazunori Nakanishi
Hikaru Tominaga
Ayami Ota
Yasuke Morozawa
Yota Iwai
Takahito Mizuno
Ayuka NIshi
Yasuhiro Yamamoto
Masahito Ohshiro
Shinsuke Kobayashi
Rikisei You
Monami Tosaka
Yuuki Habe
Yuta Tomoto
Hiroshi Kataoka
Saori Nakano
Yo Kososhi
Ryohei Koizumi
Mitsuru Inoue
Yoichi Masauyama
Toshihiro Takai
Ryunosuke Yokoi
Momoka Suzuki
Hideki Kudomi
Kaisei Yogo
Tatsuhiko Sakai
Hidehiro Yamamoto
Chen Xiangrong
Wanga Dakai
Lin Jun
Zhou Changyong
xi Bingru
Xu Yongqi
Zhang Qinbin
Fang Zhiqiang
Yuan Bin
Jiang Jianwei
Lu Yunjie
Chen Liang
Zhang Zelei
Qiu Huaxing
Xie Wei
Chen Haoda
Li Cen
Li Geng
Liu Yun
Yu Guo
Zheng Jiaxiang
Wu Hao
Wu Ping
Zhang Ming
Qu Heng
XIe Zheting
Wei Zhangliang
Xu Lin
Chu Yetong
Masayuki Harada
Yuki Shishido
Ayumi Kawano
Seika Kori
Kenji Tachibana
Masanori Satomura
Sayumi Hashimoto
Erika Tanimoto
Taiki Matsuda
Kumiko Ozawa
Kentaro Tamiya
Mutsumi Inadome
Hisashi Kanie
Shinya Nagai
Keiichiro Akashi
Hironi Takano
Ryoma Hori
Chihiro Yamaguchi
Shinkun Kawabe
Ken Suzuki
Hippo
Sudacci
Yuki Nagai
Mayuko Noda
Toshihiro Sakai
Yuki Ueno
Katsunoshin Fujii
Ayako Fujita
Haruno Saito
Ryoki Okuzaki
Ryoto Maekawa
Masashi Yamada
Tomohiro Shiiya
Disse Kevin
Shigeru Tanabe
Manabu Nakamura
Fumikazu Tanaka
Hiroshi Kyuta
Shohei Inoue
Kota Horuyu
Asuka Nakano
Rio Yamamoto
Shinichi Tada
Ryuta Ono
Naoki Ogita
Satoko Yamamoto
Haruka Sakaguchi
Takafumi Gorai
Kouji Ichikawa
Hidehito Yamamoto
Natsumi Nagahama
Ryohei Suzuki
Saeko Yaginuma
Kodai Fujimoto
Shota Wada
Sayaka Kihata
Shigetaka Ushida
Musashi Miura
Ryutaro Azuma
Natsumi Kondo
Keita Ichise
Shun Kamagai
Ayaka Igarashi
Ryo Yamada
Takeshi Morita
Yuki Yoshihiro
Kouichi Kitakaze
Nanako Kumagai
Hiromitsu Miyashita
Midori Nakano
Taao Saitoh
Tomohito Yokoyama
Kagarino Sumitani
Yasuo Ohno
Moeko Fukushima
Hokuto Fukuoka
Yuji Kawashima
Yoko Ishii
Yuma Furusawa
Kunihiro Sakai
Shunsuke Horii
Kentaroh Nishimura
Kazuya Yamagata
Rie Tnaka
Yuka Ikegami
Erina Chikaizumi
Fuka Kaba
Takeru Otomo
Hiroki Hanada
Hiroyoshi Suzuki
Naoki Sakaguchi
Akihiro Komiya
Hirotsugu Shimoyama
Hiroshi Moriguchi
Yutaka Kagawa
Hiroshi Hara
Hiroshi Kugimiya
Kouchi Oohata
Shinji Takagi
Tomoyuki Kurokawa
Kazuma Shinzato
Shohei Anzai
Daisuke Takizawa
Masahiko Nakamura
Shin Sakai
Yuichiro Kitaoka
Sou Mayumi
Hisashi Sakamoto
Yasunari Sai
Satoru Okubi
Yohsuke Nakashima
Ryuta Tanaka
Tomoki Horikawa
Rintaro Sasaki
Takayuki Sakadume
Masafumi Watanabe
Nobuhiro Nishimura
Naoki Okamura
Motomu Hosono
Yuji Yonekawa
Yasuaki Ishii
Hirotaka Hoshi
Kouki Fukudome
Hiroyuki Uchino
Taro Tokai
Makoto Takei
Tadashi Shigemori
Masaaki Kukino
Toshiji Hazumi
Shiro Mikata
Masato Sato
GAO XIN
Manabu Nikai
Kazuya Fujinami
Hironori Akiyama
Yoshito Hatano
Tahir Arai
Hiroshi Yamamoto
Yoshiaki Iwata
Wakana Ohtake
Takahiro Mizutani
Yuya Ota
Takahiro Yura
Souji Takamori
Takuya Iwasaki

Staff who worked on both:

Ayami Ota
Hikaru Tominaga
Hisashi Kanie - BDSP Character Animation Lead
Kazunori Nakanishi - BDSP Character Modelling Lead
Keiichiro Akashi
Makoto Takei
Manabu Nakamura - BDSP Digital Movie Graphic Lead (one of two)
Manami Urakami
Mayuko Noda
Ryoma Hori
Ryoma Nagata
Shinya Nagai
Takahiro Mizutani - BDSP 3D Graphics Manager
Takahito Mizuno
Tsukasa Izuoka
Yohei Ukai
Yoshinobu Okano - BDSP Map Modelling Lead (one of three)
Yota Iwai
Yuka Hino
Yuki Nagai

Also, a slight correction: BDSP Director Yuichi Ueda was credited on Pokemon Sleep under "Coordination". Mobygames just made a separate entry for some reason.

Last edited:
Really never understand the hate behind ILCA doing the remake tbh, do people realize that ILCA only did what they're told to do? They're essentially a studio-for-hire, they don't hold any power over the IP.

Like TPC ask them to remake BDSP to closely D/P with some modern QoL, but don't change much (because clearly the change is for Legend Arceus from GF).

Back
Top Bottom