• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware The PageBoy (An unreleased Game Boy accessory that featured wireless messaging support and streaming videos)

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

Some excellent work from game archivist Liam Robertson. It was canned due to the technology it used, wireless radio waves using the same frequency that a two-way pager would use, only being fully networked in North America.

You may have also remembered him discovering and using (Thanks to the Gigaleak including the BIOS rom in it's files) the Workboy for the first time.

Though that was specifically a 3rd-party accessory, while the Pageboy had Nintendo's first party backing for most of it's development.

Without watching the video the PageBoy sounds like an interesting precursor to the cellular adapter in Japan that was mostly intended for Pokémon Crystal

Liam Robertson does such amazing work with these videos. I thought this video was fantastic.

Interesting, love this kind of accessories.

Hmm. Technology really have improved till its like almost magic, nowadays a small smart phone can do basically everything you can think of to a certain extent.

It's a very interesting idea, but it's not hard to see why that didn't happen when even today cell service is too big a can of worms to be a standard feature in gaming handhelds.

I love the way that technologies like this worked around the limitations of the time to deliver what would have been very neat functions at the time. Thanks for sharing, OP!

This is quite a fascinating thing, actually. I'd probably have loved it, had it come out.

Back
Top Bottom