• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox The Original Xbox - 20th Anniversary

Oscillator

Moblin
origin.jpg

https://spectrum.ieee.org/the-consumer-electronics-hall-of-fame-microsoft-xbox

Launched November 15th, 2001 in North America, the Xbox (named after the DirectX API) was Microsoft's first home video game console, and the most powerful console of the 6th generation, going against the GameCube (launched 3 days after the Xbox in North America, on November 18th), and the PlayStation 2 (launched a year earlier). The first 6th generation console, the Dreamcast, launch in North America 9/9/99, and was discontinued March 31st, 2001.

tumblr_o2ntdpF0cG1v0jfsto1_1280.jpg

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-01-the-original-xbox-prototype-is-alive-and-kicking

In comparison to the typical fully custom hardware on game consoles, the Xbox was effectively a PC internally, with an Intel Pentium III CPU, Nvidia GPU (roughly equivalent to a GeForce 3), 8 or 10 GB hard drive, and a built-in ethernet port for LAN and broadband internet connectivity.

systemlinksgjfc.jpg

The hard drive allowed for caching of large sections of game content, then quick-loading small parts as needed, enabling more seamless gameplay. It also made possible custom in-game soundtracks from ripped CD tracks.

The game discs were 8.5 GB dual-layer DVDs. The system also supported 64 channel Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. The controller had 8 face buttons (the 6 coloured buttons being pressure sensitive), twin clickable analog sticks, twin analog triggers, a D-pad, twin memory card slots, and a quick-disconnect cable for trip protection.

Other accessories included a component cable for HD-compatible games, and a remote that enabled DVD movie playback.

dvdplaybackkitmqk9n.jpg

In Japan, the Xbox launched with a smaller "S" controller, that later replaced the larger "Duke" in the rest of the world.

XboxOriginalController.jpg

On November 15th, 2002, one year after the launch of the console, the subscription service for online play, Xbox Live, launched. The original starter kit included a 12-month subscription card, a voice chat headset, and a service install disc with demos of Whacked! and Moto GP. A later version of the kit contained a 3-month subcription card, a voice chat headset, and the full version of MechAssault (by this point, the service was pre-installed on new consoles, so the install disc was omitted).

There were 20 games available on launch day in North America, including 4 first-party titles; Halo, Fuzion Frenzy, Project Gotham Racing, and NFL Fever 2002.

Here are a selection of Xbox-exclusive/Xbox-enhanced games:

haloshrinkwsjic.jpg

The Xbox's killer app. Often appearing on best games of all time lists, Halo redefined first person shooters on consoles the way GoldenEye did 4 years earlier. The stunning bump-mapped graphics, superb AI, deep physics engine, and epic soundtrack combined to create a package that was the epitome of "wow factor".

28711-halo-combat-evolved-screenshot.jpg

--------------------

mechassaultshrink1dkw4.jpg

A more arcadey take on the MechWarrior series, MechAssault was one of the killer apps of the Xbox Live online service, featuring 8 player deathmatches in destructible environments.

System Link gameplay

--------------------

pandorashrinkm8k08.jpg

Another Xbox Live killer app, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow featured the legendary 2v2 Spies vs. Mercs gametype, which involved the Spies stealthing through shadowy attics and vents, trying to get the drop on the gun-toting Mercs.

--------------------

pgr2shrink1uj6a.jpg

Prior to Forza Motorsport, Project Gotham Racing was the go-to racing series on the Xbox. Project Gotham Racing 2 featured a massive selection of exotic cars (complete with walkable showroom), and beautifully realized locations including downtown Chicago, Moscow's Red Square, and Germany's Nurburgring. That latter track became host to the online community gametype Cat & Mouse, wherein speedy supercars had to push little slow cars across the finish line, with the monstrous speed difference creating total chaos.

--------------------

steelbshrinkc3k4b.jpg

(^ click to enlarge)

A tour-de-force mech simulator, Steel Batallion came bundled with it's own mech control panel, complete with twin joysticks, pedals, a gearshift, manual ignition sequence, windshield wipers, and emergency eject button.

--------------------

fuzionfrenzyshrink3xgkb1.jpg

Fuzion Frenzy is the Xbox's answer to Mario Party, with faster action, flashier effects, and more attitude.

--------------------

wrecklessshrinkerj3r.jpg

A semi-obscure but graphically intensive exclusive from Japan, Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions is a lighthearted vehicular action game that has you playing as either police or spies trying to clamp down on the Yakuza in Hong Kong.

--------------------

crimsonskiesshrink50k9w.jpg

A super popular Xbox Live title, Crimson Skies: High Road To Revenge is aerial combat that anyone can get into.

--------------------

morrowindshrinkn6j34.jpg

Taking full advantage of the Xbox's power, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind was a massive upgrade for the RPG series, with fully realized 3D environments, a crystal clear soundtrack, and a huge quantity of NPCs, questlines, and lore.

--------------------

jsrfshrinkndk9d.jpg

The sequel to the Dreamcast's Jet Grind Radio, Jet Set Radio Future cranks everything up to 11, with better graphics, bigger levels, streamlined graffiti controls, and a more exotic soundtrack.

Last edited:
Such a great console. Bought at launch with Halo, MSR 2 (sorry, Project Gotham) and JSRF.
The only thing I remember disliking at the time was the controller. I have smallish hands and it took some adjusting to. The button shapes and overall layout were odd as well.

I remember my all night Halo LAN parties and playing split screen 007 Nightfire. Fable was also a fantastic experience.

Today, Xbox is definitely my go to console that gives me everything I want out of gaming, especially on the cheap.

I didn’t jump in until the 360 with fable 2, but happy birthday xbox , it goes vastly understated how impressive this original device was for entering the market , managing to get the level of support it did and even getting a “second place “ finish sales wise especially considering the perception of microsoft back then.

I skipped Xbox all last gen, but back with Series X. First time not getting a PS console at launch. Very excited to see what they show today.

Good chance to post my library
478669DD-0EEB-427F-A477-3A94C8E1CEE7.jpg

I have some caseless games too like MVC2, Capcom vs SNK chaos

Edit anybody else have the issue where it makes the post when you’re adding a picture?

Some other games worth looking at: Breakdown is a first person beat 'em up from Namco that's unlike everything else, and Kingdom Under Fire is a strategy version of Dynasty Warriors.

That SEGA support made getting an xbox a nobrainer at the time for us. Finished shenmue 2 for the second time, panzer dragoon orta and jsr, sega gt. Just amazing stuff.

Xbox was the 6th gen console my parents bought me and my brother when we were kids; I was so disappointed because I really wanted a Gamecube (later, the GC became the first console I bought with my own money) but once I got into I really enjoyed it. Still have it and occasionally play it to this day in fact.

From Halo 1 and 2 to Star Wars Battlefront to Panzer Dragoon Orta, it was a hell of a console, so good that after I moved out of home I bought a 360, which would go on to be one of my favourite consoles of all time, certainly my favourite non-Nintendo one.

It also has a claim to being one of the most influential systems of all time; many of its features like standardized PC-like chipset and on-board hard drive/memory are the norm in all systems now.

I didn't have an Xbox at the time because I was extremely poor but I did play some stuff at a friend's house and the main takeaway is that Deathrow is one of the most underrated and extremely fun multiplayer games ever made. I was really hoping it'd get added to the backwards compatibility program but alas it was not meant to be.

The library of exclusives isn't too big or anything but there's a ton of solid to fantastic games in there with some all-time classics too.

Back
Top Bottom