• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News The original Tokimeki Memorial has finally received a fan translation after 28 years

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

Not mentioned in the tweet, but the addition of slight voice acting and the intro is thanks to MSU-1 technology. The SNES port was the only version to lack these prior to this patch.
They also fixed the scrolling backgrounds so they move smoothly, for some reason.

From a historical point of view. This game is notable for popularizing the Dating Sim Genre in Japan, as well as being the first project written by future Castlevania director Koji Igarashi. (He also did some programming work before this, but this is the first time he actually wrote a scenario.)

I'm honestly having trouble thinking what historically major Japan-only titles are still untranslated by this point, a lot of the big ones. From Clock Tower, to Portopia Serial Murder Case, to Sweet Home, to Kamaitachi no Yoru. Have translations in some form now.
Some even got official ones against all odds, such as Famicom Detective Club or Yu-No.

Otogoriso is pretty much the biggest VN-like game left untranslated, IIRC... Still, Tokimeki 1 is a big get! Wish it was the PCE version due to Force Gear and the added music, but alas (unless SFC has force gear in it as well?)

I'm honestly having trouble thinking what historically major Japan-only titles are still untranslated by this point, a lot of the big ones. From Clock Tower, to Portopia Serial Murder Case, to Sweet Home, to Kamaitachi no Yoru. Have translations in some form now.
Some even got official ones against all odds, such as Famicom Detective Club or Yu-No.
I'm still waiting on the rest of Sakura Taisen!

It's great that more people get to play TokiMemo, but it's such a shame that it's the SNES version.

Also I seem to remember there being... issues with some of this guy's previous work. Namely a transphobic slur in Goemon 3? I don't know how that situation shook out but I do know I didn't particularly care for it.

I'm honestly having trouble thinking what historically major Japan-only titles are still untranslated by this point
Sigma Harmonics and Hanjuku Hero come to mind. I think Soma Bringer's fan translation still lacks item descriptions or something to that effect?

Oh you said historically major? Nevermind then :(

hot damn! ive been wanting to play this ever since i saw that insane 6 hour review from Tim Rogers. such a fascinating game, excited to try it

Wild. I've also been intrigued by this since somebody linked to the Tim Rogers video here.

Sigma Harmonics and Hanjuku Hero come to mind. I think Soma Bringer's fan translation still lacks item descriptions or something to that effect?

Oh you said historically major? Nevermind then :(

Yeah, the smaller/cult titles will continue to be white whales, but there's often someone tinkering away on them. There's a ton I'd love to see so I just live in hope someone with good translation skills and a love for odd/unsung titles lines up with my wants.

A gentle warning about one of the translators
Also I seem to remember there being... issues with some of this guy's previous work. Namely a transphobic slur in Goemon 3?
That's right. After being called out on the choice of word Tom dropped his response (where instead of apologizing or releasing a fix, he lamented on how "terrifying" it is that "words can be off-limits" without him knowing) and disappeared from the web for awhile. Nice that this game has a translation out there at all, but I can't say i'm particularly interested in touching his work.

The line in question from that Goemon 3 translation:

That's right. After being called out on the choice of word Tom dropped his response (where instead of apologizing or releasing a fix, he lamented on how "terrifying" it is that "words can be off-limits" without him knowing) and disappeared from the web for awhile. Nice that this game has a translation out there at all, but I can't say i'm particularly interested in touching his work.

Yeah, that's the one.

Hard pass.

75I1Zwv.gif

Well that puts a damper on things. I think Iā€™ll give it a shot regardless (I ainā€™t gotta pay nothing so why not) but that will certainly be looming over this.

I assume the translated this one because it's easier to patch stuff into snes roms? I wanna check this out but I've heard this version kinda sucks

also the name change is silly

Oof. I definitely remember that incident, but i didn't realize this was the same guy.
At the very least, my understanding is that later updates to the patch did actually remove the slur. But his response is still fairly questionable.

I've added a threadmark so people can be aware before downloading.

Oof. I definitely remember that incident, but i didn't realize this was the same guy.
At the very least, my understanding is that later updates to the patch did actually remove the slur. But his response is still fairly questionable.

I've added a threadmark so people can be aware before downloading.
Yeah, that's the one.

Hard pass.
Tom was in good faith, he didn't know the word used had negative connotations and he thought it was as close as the original Japanese meaning as possible. After the translation was released, he was even accepting suggestions from trans users. He was very open to modify the translation.

After HG_101's tweet, he got harassed and labelled as trans-phobic and as a member of the alt-right. He got depressed and left Twitter for months. Had people actually talked to him instead of jumping to conclusions, he would have likely changed the word (as he said he was going to do).

Everyone in the fan-translation scene I read / talked to seems to agree that Tom is very professional (the later Near asked him to work on Bahamut Lagoon) and one of the nicest person on the planet. I think we should leave the Goemon incident behind and accept the whole situation was unfortunate. The choice of the word was problematic, but so was the behavior of the community.

Tom was in good faith, he didn't know the word used had negative connotations and he thought it was as close as the original Japanese meaning as possible. After the translation was released, he was even accepting suggestions from trans users. He was very open to modify the translation.

After HG_101's tweet, he got harassed and labelled as trans-phobic and as a member of the alt-right. He got depressed and left Twitter for months. Had people actually talked to him instead of jumping to conclusions, he would have likely changed the word (as he said he was going to do).
Wasn't aware of him accepting a suggestion for an alternative; that's nice. Was very aware of the vitriol he recieved on social media and I do believe some of it was too harsh and very uncalled for considering the translation alone proves ignorance (which could have been corrected by people like HG_101 in a less accusatory manner) more than intentional malice. Tom doesn't seem like intentionally hateful person, but even considering those factors I still don't believe the reply he left before his hiatus reads 100% favourably for him, though.

"Everybody was at fault here so it doesn't matter and we should all move on" sure sounds like a nice and clean resolution, but I just think more could've been said and done. That's my view on the situation, at least.

but even considering those factors I still don't believe the reply he left before his hiatus reads 100% favourably for him, though.
For the "words can be off-limits" part you've cited in your previous message? Out of the context it can be seen as some sort of passive-aggressive remark, but reading the whole reply I think what he wanted to say is along the line of "I'm actually scared this whole mess could happen again". He also makes clear the game doesn't reflect who he is.
ā€œMy apologies to everyone. I needed some time to mull over this mess.
I want to clarify that whatever scripts Iā€™ve translated donā€™t reflect who I am, or what I believe. People are calling me a far-right extremist now. Me? These people know nothing about me.
And the word that set off this whole mess? I didnā€™t even know anybody considered it completely off limits. I thought it was just a silly abbreviation, a slightly taboo word, something only a bit edgy, but well within the realm of a reasonable translation of the original Japanese line.
Yes, the original Japanese line in the game is insensitive, but please donā€™t think that having translated it in an insensitive way means that Iā€™m somehow a hateful person, because Iā€™m not. It crushed me to see the fallout of this. Anybody who has followed me for any amount of time knows that I wear my heart on my sleeve. I love all people, and every single living thing on this planet.
And I care about the games, too. I started working on fan translations because I careā€¦ I just wanted to share these experiences with people.
Seeing how all of this has turned outā€¦ Itā€™s really crushed me. If one single word that I didnā€™t even know was so inexcusable caused this sort of uproar, what other words are off limits without my knowing? To be honest, the very thought terrifies me.
This whole thing has crushed my passion for translating, video games, and even simply writing in general. I canā€™t continue with it.ā€
Additionally, the latest official version of the patch removed the t-word (using "newhalf" instead, literally the Japanese word).

"Everybody was at fault here so it doesn't matter and we should all move on" sure sounds like a nice and clean resolution, but I just think more could've been said and done. That's my view on the situation, at least.
It's not just a matter of principle -- the whole situation really hurt Tom and he was going to left the translation scene for good, yet not before apologizing and modifying the translation. Then he came back and translated another high-profile classic for the community (well, more than one actually, but Tokimeki is the most notable of his post-Goemon games). I believe throwing the t-word incident against him is doing him dirty.

For the "words can be off-limits" part you've cited in your previous message? Out of the context it can be seen as some sort of passive-aggressive remark, but reading the whole reply I think what he wanted to say is along the line of "I'm actually scared this whole mess could happen again". He also makes clear the game doesn't reflect who he is.
I don't know how to properly quantify my reading of the message (as a whole, not just the snipits I quoted above). Maybe my perspective just isn't a fair and unbiased one, but getting caught up on how he just didn't know it was off-limits and trying to justify why the initial choice was made doesn't sit well with me. Makes him seem more concerned about himself looking bad for using the slur than the feelings of the people that slur is used against.

Additionally, the latest official version of the patch removed the t-word (using "newhalf" instead, literally the Japanese word).
I have my own takes on translation vs localisation that are mostly irrelevant to this conversation, but you should hopefully be able to infer my opinion on that choice through me simply saying that my preference lies with the patch by someone else that simply has the NPC say "i'm trans".

Maybe throwing the t-slur incident against him is doing him dirty; but him continuing to do translations "for the community" is a silly way to justify that; and i've said my piece on his response and the adjustment. He was hurt, but his choice of words also hurt others; this is the sort of discussion that could just keep going in circles.

I'm just going to drop this here, though; I welcome you to respond again but i'm done myself. Even just fact-checking things to make my case is draining because most of the sites that discussed this in 2020 framed it through the bigoted lense of "SJWs attack and harass this guy just for translating a game correctly", that and scrolling through comments from assholes whining about the eventual change (both Tom's and the alternate patch mentioned above) for "twisting old media to fit modern trends and ideas". No need to upset myself further over this.

Immediate pass that it's the same guy(s) involved in this.

----

Also, spare me the whole fucking defense force I'm seeing above in response to MondoMega's post outlining the issue about the individual(s) involve, with people defending the decisions to include the t-slur. In any case scenario, using the t-slur is never, ever, justified. Like, just go off on this.

Goemon uses outdated language and has some notable problematic content, including how it handles Queer characters. Using the t-slur just makes the situation that much worse.

@MondoMega I respect your choice not to continue the debate and I agree on how poorly the incident was reported. I think we made our different point of views clear and mostly we disagree on how Tom's apologize should be taken.

Also, spare me the whole fucking defense force I'm seeing above in response to MondoMega's post outlining the issue about the individual(s) involve, with people defending the decisions to include the t-slur. In any case scenario, using the t-slur is never, ever, justified. Like, just go off on this.

Goemon uses outdated language and has some notable problematic content, including how it handles Queer characters. Using the t-slur just makes the situation that much worse.
If you think I'm defending the use of the t-slur, please read my posts again.

Tom was in good faith, he didn't know the word used had negative connotations and he thought it was as close as the original Japanese meaning as possible
This entire controversy passed me by when it happened, but just reading about it now, this part is what puzzles me.

...because 'newhalf' is absolutely a slur used against trans and non-binary/gender-fluid people. And, if anything, the choice of words here implies the translator was aware of the connotation. It's the kind of choice one would make if they wanted to preserve the bigoted joke of the original: you just replace the slur with the equivalent slur. I do not see how you Mr. Magoo your way from 'newhalf' to that without stumbling into the meaning of either term, it's so absurd that it has to be intentional.

O dang.
I never really gave two hoots about this game and series outside of "morbid curiosity" back when it was generating headlines... but my gawd beautiful boi Tim's crazy review video series/epic totally turned around my perspective on this game and it's legacy.

Here is the link to PART ONE of the uh, 7 hr review

Seriously, the review is entertaining in it's own right from a game design perspective, an impact on industry perspective, a nerdy-bombshells perspective along the lines of "omg Koji Igarashi wrote this!?", and just generally entertaining meta commentary into his life in Japan around that time.

When I saw the news that a translation dropped, I half-expected it to be from Tim.

I am tempted to play; thinking about whats the best platform since I favor portables these days.

Everyone in the fan-translation scene I read / talked to seems to agree that Tom is very professional (the later Near asked him to work on Bahamut Lagoon) and one of the nicest person on the planet. I think we should leave the Goemon incident behind and accept the whole situation was unfortunate. The choice of the word was problematic, but so was the behavior of the community.

I can sorta vouch for this: from what I know of Tom he's a good guy and pretty much worked by himself on the TL bit, and him feeling bad and wanting to fix that was a good sign, even if, as someone who knows a basic bit of Japanese myself, that word should never, ever be translated as a slur (or even directly at all because let's face it, it's still a bad word even in direct translation terms), ever, despite what weebs who beg and plead on their knees that it's somehow "accurate" (it's not, and that's why kurt rightfully pointed to it as troublesome) will try and tell you.

The problem is the person he worked with who hacked the text into the game and released the patch (DDS), declared himself as full anti-SJW and threw a shit fit over people mad at the slur being in the TL for months, with him making the whole controversy far, far worse and pretty much dragging tom through the mud by bitching at every person upset and mass blocking a majority of leftists and other TL folk in the industry en masse, starting that even before the goemon 3 patch came out, (so DDS was this way for a long while) and then constantly tagging HG101 every few weeks to complain about how Kurt pointed out that a slur was a slur. Then he got a lot of the far-right riled up, including a certain XSeed hating translator to somehow come out of hiding to harass Kurt, leading to Kurt getting bombarded for months, to the point that even now shitheads are mad at him over calling out the slur. I don't give a shit what you say, if you are friendly with far-right shitheads as well as the translator who harassed XSeed employees for a damn decade, and don't mind seeing them wail on someone who calls out your release's transphobic line, then you are associated with the far-right.

Tom mostly kept to himself during this and if I were him i'd quite bluntly have cut off DDS after all that (Tom fixing the line later at least proves there's a slur-free version you can play now, thankfully), and it looks like he might have seeing how the last DDS collab Tom did was the Game Freak SNES RPG from last year, but yeah, while I'm not buying that he didn't know what that word meant (even my limited hiragana knowledge, reading a phrase with that word in it is enough for me to go "yeah i'm rewriting that" if I translate it), the fact he at least came out and started to try and fix it and get trans feedback gives me some hope he's not anything like the hacker who responded to the controversy by doubling down and fueling the far-right flames. I know several in the industry who respect Tom a lot but strongly avoid DDS for the way he acts, and since Near was good besties with Tom too, I'm not on the "avoid if ____ is involved" train with Tom. DDS though, I'll hard pass on anything he's involved in, especially since anyone associating with a certain TLer who harassed my friends in the Falcom community is a huge avoid at all costs.

TLDR: Tom tried to quietly fix it his own way but DDS blew a lid over it and started stupid fights and associates with abhorrent people making it worse for everyone

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom