• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

the original Gamecube model shown during it's initial reveal at Spaceworld 2000 has finally resurfaced.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

the main difference is, of course. the partially transparent disc cover. it might not be the exact model shown at the event, but it's fairly close.

do note that these were display models from the sounds of things, and as such. there's no gamecube hardware inside them.

even after the design was finalized, the original concept got snuck around here and there. it's used as a placeholder texture in Luigi's Mansion.
LM_-_GCN.png

and the cinema room in the "Peach's Castle" demo bundled with the Gamecube SDK features a fun video clip of various 3D models of the design dancing around.

I loved the small window to the disc drive and always thought it was a shame it didn't make it to the final console.

Worst thing is, jewels were interchangeable and no one ever released a jewel with the disc window. WHY?

In retrospect it is an odd-looking console. Handle and color choice, and... yeah, it's a cube. If nothing else, it certainly is true to its name.

On one hand I can see why it seems more "kiddie" than other consoles. On the other, its design really doesn't seem to take itself too seriously, which I guess makes sense for something created to play games. It's a purple cube.

I'd not seen this model before but I love the partial transparent disc cover. That really should've been part of the released product.

I actually wish I could explore than Peach Castle tbh
it has been publicly out there for a while, the fact it was bundled with the SDK (codenamed "NDDEMO") meant there was plenty of sources that could have dumped it.

i've been actively considering making an ST listing tech demos that were publicly shown and eventually got released in some form for a while. there's certainly a lot of interesting content, like the classic PS3 duck demo, and a secondary "car showcase" Gamecube tech demo that somehow made it's way onto disks designed for servicing damaged Gamecubes.

Back
Top Bottom