• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Official Famiboards ROM Thread |ST| Share your favorite ROMs here!

Clov

An ethernet cable girlfriend
Pronouns
She/Her
ad7e61e1946d8f57d06a3e81c309e4b2.jpg

Welcome one and all, to the official Famiboards thread of ROM the Space Knight! Though ROM has countless fans throughout the world, I'm sure that there's some newcomers here who can't help but scratch their head and wonder; "Who is ROM, and what does he want?" Thankfully, as a ROM expert, I'm just the girl to tell you! Let's start!

ROM: The Toy

As you can see, ROM is quite a versatile toy! You can imagine him doing all sorts of things with his cool accessories, and battery operated lights! ROM the toy was created by Parker Brothers in 1979. Yes, the board game company. They made a toy! That toy was ROM! You'd figure that a toy this cool would be an immediate smash hit, but unfortunately you'd be wrong, because as a toy, ROM was a complete failure. It's widely believed that this is because children are stupid and ignorant of the world's splendour. For most toys, this would be the end! But not for ROM, because he was about to embark on a wildly successful stint as...

ROM: The Marvel Comics Hero

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6IjZiNzIwYzU4LWY0YmUtNDY3Yy05ODYyLTViYjc1MThjMDI2Yy5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYwMH19fQ==

That's right! ROM the Space Knight had a very respectable run as a comic book franchise! Starting in December 1979, ROM's original comic series ran for 75 issues until 1986. He also made guest appearances in other comics, like Power Man and Iron Fist, and Marvel Two-in-One! Unlike the toy, in the comics ROM's story is not left up to your imagination. ROM is a man from the planet Galador, which was attacked by the evil Dire Wraiths, an alien race that combines black magic and advanced science. In order to save his world, ROM and many other Galadorians have no choice but to become Space Knights, beings with immense power and incredible weapons. There is a cost; to become a Space Knight, one must be permanently fused with a cybernetic suit of armor, losing their humanity forever.

ROM and his fellow Space Knights are successful in driving the Dire Wraiths away from Galador... but their mission is not yet over. The Dire Wraiths hide on Earth, disguising themselves as human beings... and so ROM makes it his mission to track them down, and use his powerful Neutralizer to banish them to Limbo!

125209911_orig.jpg

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6IjM1NjM3ZTc2LTkzOWItNDFlYS05MTNjLWRmYjQ1NDVhZTdmOS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYwMH19fQ==

Unfortunately, few understand what ROM is doing. Nobody on Earth is aware of the threat of the Dire Wraiths, so to most people, it looks like ROM is merely disintegrating people at random! This leads to many misunderstandings with Earth's mightiest heroes...

rom18-1.jpg

ROM as a comic was a smash hit under Marvel! But all great things must come to and end, and so too did ROM in the year of 1986. The toy was long discontinued, and through the horror of corporate acquisitions, Parker Bros ended up being bought by Hasbro in 1991. In Hasbro's ignorance, ROM was forgotten, and faded out of humanity's collective memory... until one day...

ROM: The Return

81Bdb5q0PAL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

In the humble year of 2016, ROM somehow returned. Comics publisher IDW acquired the rights for ROM, and thrust him into the modern era of comics as part of a massive crossover event called Revolution. Revolution was a somewhat ill-conceived idea by IDW, to create a shared comics universe for Hasbro characters. The crossover consisted of their long-running Transformers comics, G.I Joe, ROM, Micronauts, Action Man, and M.A.S.K. They would later add the Visionaries to this universe to disasterous results, but that's a story for another time.

o0453067715288251456.jpg

STL021218_1000x1000.jpg

ROM was so popular, that IDW even did a "ROM Cover Month". For that month, their comics recieved a variant cover featuring ROM himself! Below is my favorite, from the series "Transformers: Till All Are One". Windblade and Chromia are giving ROM a makeover!

STL011353

On top of Revolution, ROM would recieve a new solo comic series lasting 14 issues, with follow-up crossover ROM and the Micronauts lasting for 5 issues in 2017, and a 3 issue prequel called ROM: Dire Wraiths in 2020. But greatest of all the IDW ROM comics was his fantastic 5 issue miniseries ROM Vs Transformers: Shining Armor!

91UPMZuY9zL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

This crossover introduces the new character Stardrive, a Cybertronian Knight! But she is shunned by her fellow Knights of the Solstar Order for her robotic nature, and she herself remains unaware of her Cybertronian origin. But a chance encounter with Bumblebee and Ultra Magnus changes all that... meanwhile, Starscream is cooking up a scheme with some Dire Wraiths. When it all comes to a head, Stardrive must make a choice...

Shining_armor_1_spaceknight_stardrive.jpg

The events in this series would later impact IDW's literally world ending finale to their original Transformers universe, Transformers: Unicron. After that, IDW rebooted their Transformers comics, and the shared Hasbro universe came to an end. With the release of ROM: Dire Wraiths, ROMs time in the comics spotlight would end soon after. And so, for a time, ROM was forgotten once more... until...

ROM's Miraculous Return to Marvel

71QdhMEU2GL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

As of this year, ROM is back! In reprint form! Marvel reacquired the rights to reprint their old ROM comics, and for the first time ever, the original 1979-1986 series is being made available in hardcover omnibuses. An exciting and unexpected development for ROM fans everywhere! The first is available now, collecting ROM issues 1-29, as well as Power Man and Iron Fist issue 73. It seems like there will be at least three of these, the second of which is coming later this year!

But what about the future of ROM? Will he ever get a new comic series of his own? Maybe! Feeling an unending jealousy towards IDW's idea, Marvel recently did a ROM cover month of their own, featuring lesser characters like Spiderman and Iron Man.

rom-marvel-variant-covers-hasbro.jpg

These covers also have to point out that they are the "ROM Variant" specifically, because Marvel's readership is notoriously dim.

And that's about it! The whole ROM story, in one convenient post! And now... it's your turn! Feel free to share your favorite ROM moments and images below! Get posting, fellow Space Knights!

I love that the commercial says you can imagine it came from a distant galaxy as though they feared being sued for false advertising

You can imagine ROM doing all sorts of things! You can even imagine that he's fleeing tax evasion charges by coming to Earth. The sky's the limit with ROM!

the longer I look at him the more I like this guy

he has a cute doofy face but a false one on his torso to deter predators (?)

for some reason he has duck feet

his gun or whatever is clearly actually a barcode scanner

All ROM talk must be contained to this thread.

No ROM talk is allowed outside of this thread.

If you get caught talking about ROM outside of this thread you will be permanently banned and your account purged.

not really but you can imagine it

I love that the commercial says you can imagine it came from a distant galaxy as though they feared being sued for false advertising
The toy failed because it wasn't selling the story of the toy, but instead relying on the weakest thing in the universe: the imagination of a child.

All ROM talk must be contained to this thread.

No ROM talk is allowed outside of this thread.

If you get caught talking about ROM outside of this thread you will be permanently banned and your account purged.
HMMM, this sounds exactly like what a Dire Wraith would say...

There's a lot of ROMs in this thread! But not many Space Knights.

Is nobody going to discuss how kissing ROM is why Rogue from the X-Men became good?

images

I’ve heard that there’s an altered ROM out there, roaming the unspace…

the nefarious ROMhack

ROM was my shit as a child, I had no idea he had ever been a toy but he would be hanging out with the Hulk’s sidekick Rick Jones (who would dramatically play acoustic guitar while thinking about cancer) or getting into personal business with Forge or Rogue or whatever X-Person would show up, and the Dire Wraiths seemed scary and cool to Child Me

i never managed to get very many consecutive issues because I wasn’t allowed to buy comics often, so between ROM and Transformers it was kind of like visiting your relatives a couple of times a year and seeing what your cousins were up to

”oh hey, Ratchet is lost in the wilderness. oops now there‘s an evil car wash”

bless bill mantlo and Bob budiansky and all the fever dream shit they would come up with just to beat a deadline

ROM was my shit as a child, I had no idea he had ever been a toy but he would be hanging out with the Hulk’s sidekick Rick Jones (who would dramatically play acoustic guitar while thinking about cancer) or getting into personal business with Forge or Rogue or whatever X-Person would show up, and the Dire Wraiths seemed scary and cool to Child Me

i never managed to get very many consecutive issues because I wasn’t allowed to buy comics often, so between ROM and Transformers it was kind of like visiting your relatives a couple of times a year and seeing what your cousins were up to

”oh hey, Ratchet is lost in the wilderness. oops now there‘s an evil car wash”

bless bill mantlo and Bob budiansky and all the fever dream shit they would come up with just to beat a deadline

I've been reading ROM lately, up to issue 12, and it's so fun! One issue was just, ROM tries to rest in a house, but the entire house turns out to be a demon that the Dire Wraiths accidentally unleashed. He can't even get some sleep...

Phos has been reading the old Marvel Transformers comics and they look so funny. Optimus Prime has himself blown up for winning a video game in a dishonourable way

fun-fact-optimus-prime-in-the-marvel-comics-once-killed-v0-t178ny7mk97c1.png

images

also, apart from my dumb childhood memories, I miss IDW Transformers, especially MTMTE and Lost Light

I miss these comics so much too, I had so much fun reading them! I got really attached to the cast. Lost Light had a bit of a rushed ending since IDW wanted to wrap up the continuity, but I love everything with Anode and Lug SO much that I can forgive it. My favorite trans lesbian robots 💗 🏳️‍⚧️

PXL-20240204-012635812.jpg

My favorite issue's gotta be when Anode and Swerve get into a prank war. Lost it when she ended up magnetized and stuck to Ultra Magnus

images

Last edited:
Phos has been reading the old Marvel Transformers comics and they look so funny. Optimus Prime has himself blown up for winning a video game in a dishonourable way
lmao this fuckin’ shreds

i’m not super tuned into Transformers at all, tbh — does uh. does Megatron always have Human Teeth?

lmao this fuckin’ shreds

i’m not super tuned into Transformers at all, tbh — does uh. does Megatron always have Human Teeth?

It depends on the continuity! He clearly has them in the 2014 Tom Scioli series, Transformers vs GI Joe:

Fempv0_VsAIn5aU

TF-VS-GI-Joe-10-7.jpg

TF-VS-GI-Joe-10-8.jpg

I've been reading ROM lately, up to issue 12, and it's so fun! One issue was just, ROM tries to rest in a house, but the entire house turns out to be a demon that the Dire Wraiths accidentally unleashed. He can't even get some sleep...

fun-fact-optimus-prime-in-the-marvel-comics-once-killed-v0-t178ny7mk97c1.png

images

I miss these comics so much too, I had so much fun reading them! I got really attached to the cast. Lost Light had a bit of a rushed ending since IDW wanted to wrap up the continuity, but I love everything with Anode and Lug SO much that I can forgive it. My favorite trans lesbian robots 💗 🏳️‍⚧️

PXL-20240204-012635812.jpg

My favorite issue's gotta be when Anode and Swerve get into a prank war. Lost it when she ended up magnetized and stuck to Ultra Magnus

images
I’ve never actually read either Marvel series all the way through but this is making me want to jump in! I love how hard they just commit to their premises, no matter how weird they are. No lampshading, just “this house is a fuckin Dire Wraith so enjoy your insomnia, ROM.”

and yeah Anode and Lug are such a great couple. i think what got me really into reading MTMTE after being scared off by Furman’s run was hearing about Chromedome and Rewind and going, wait, they’re daring to have gay TFs now, okay I’m going to read this. And then being sucked in by shit like Megatron trying to have a redemption arc. Yeah Lost Light wraps up way too fast because of Unicron and the whole reboot, but at least Roberts got to tell a more or less complete story.

also the Tom Scioli comics are all amazing, especially Go-Bots, although you’ve probably already read all of them

THOG01G.jpeg

I’ve never actually read either Marvel series all the way through but this is making me want to jump in! I love how hard they just commit to their premises, no matter how weird they are. No lampshading, just “this house is a fuckin Dire Wraith so enjoy your insomnia, ROM.”

and yeah Anode and Lug are such a great couple. i think what got me really into reading MTMTE after being scared off by Furman’s run was hearing about Chromedome and Rewind and going, wait, they’re daring to have gay TFs now, okay I’m going to read this. And then being sucked in by shit like Megatron trying to have a redemption arc. Yeah Lost Light wraps up way too fast because of Unicron and the whole reboot, but at least Roberts got to tell a more or less complete story.

also the Tom Scioli comics are all amazing, especially Go-Bots, although you’ve probably already read all of them

THOG01G.jpeg

I had a really fun time getting into the Transformers comics. My journey started with Phos and drunkenly watching the 1986 movie, only to realize that it actually was extremely cool. I loved Arcee, looked her up and was like "Hey! She's trans and gay! That's awesome!" Got the "Best of Arcee" comic collection expecting it to end there... but I loved it so much that I ended up collecting pretty much all of the IDW continuity from "The Death of Optimus Prime" onwards (the Phase Two and Three comics)! It wasn't easy; it took a combination of hardcover IDW collections, paperbacks, some handfuls of single issues and in one case, a hardcover UK copy. A lot of it was luck with finding some very cheap used copies on Mandarake and Surugaya.

Chromedome and Rewind's relationship just completely grabbed my heart! I loved those two so much. And yeah, for all its faults about how the ending had to be rushed, Lost Light's final issue was an amazingly strong finale to the MtMtE cast. An incredible send-off. And yeah, Lug and Anode are just the best... <3

Scioli's work is amazing. His Transformers vs GI Joe is one of my favorite comics ever. I love his work on Go-Bots! It was so different from what I expected. I went in expecting more of Transformers vs GI Joe's insanity, but I got a strangely somber comic with one of the most unforgettable endings ever. Laughed out loud in sheer disbelief at that final panel.

Completely lost it at this part

Dvrb3ENWkAEOirU.jpg

I finished reading the first ROM omnibus today! I thought I'd post a few highlights from the stories. The point of the thread IS to share your favorite ROMs after all, so here's some of mine!

PXL_20240203_130432716.jpg

PXL_20240205_063640362.jpg

PXL_20240202_081313215.MP.jpg

PXL_20240206_085406469.jpg
PXL_20240206_085416886.MP.jpg

PXL_20240208_133318684.jpg

Those have been some of my favorite ROMs so far! Some other great moments include me meeting my favorite new Marvel character:

PXL_20240208_131137837.jpg

PXL_20240208_131303398.jpg

She's such a girlboss

One last thing to mention is that the omnibus also includes the original letters pages from the comics! These are a lot of fun to read, even though it's mostly nerds trying to win a No-Prize by pointing out plot holes... here's a great one asking about ROM's name

PXL_20240203_130839313.jpg

Here's someone very happy that ROM is the official superhero of West Virginia

PXL_20240203_140809468.jpg

Did they do any more superheroes there...?

Anyway, one last one I wanna mention is an ENTIRE PAGE of people complaining about Nova losing his powers in an issue of ROM. Here's a sample of that

PXL_20240209_131623068.jpg

You have NO idea how excited I am for the second omnibus this June

Back
Top Bottom