• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion The Next Punch Out Should Be A Wrestling Game

AxkilAvenger

Like Like
Pronouns
He/him
Weekend Time!
But what an idea right?!
I was thinking how Nintendo could bring this franchise back. I feel that maybe they’ve gone as far as they can with this series artistically . I mean its art style is timeless so better graphics wouldn’t be enough to differentiate it from previous punch out games. Nintendo would need to refresh the game play.
It’d still need to play over the shoulder third person though, which might be difficult to pull off.
You’d still only play as Little Mac and go up the ranks just like the originals
if anyone can figure out how to make this work, it’s Nintendo.
What you say Fam??
Would you enjoy tombstoning Soda Pop as Little Mac?
Sound off.

wrestling and boxing are so wildly different

I can't imagine how this would resemble punch-out honestly

punch-out is all about simple inputs, patterns, and timing
Yeah, this is the thing. Punch-out is more a puzzle game than it is a fighting game or similar.

I'm sure somebody could be inspired to adapt the formula to a wrestler, but by then, it wouldn't be Punch Out anymore, would it?

Nintendo are the masters of simplifying complex controls while still keeping them engaging and fun.

Yeah, this is the thing. Punch-out is more a puzzle game than it is a fighting game or similar.

I'm sure somebody could be inspired to adapt the formula to a wrestler, but by then, it wouldn't be Punch Out anymore, would it?
You can still punch in wrestling
Could be a method to weaken your opponent before grappling

Why not revive Pro Wrestling instead?

Nesprowrestlingbox.jpg

Punch and Kick and Grapple and Throw and Metal Chair and Ladder and Corrupt CEO and Eventual Transition Into A Movie Career Out

While this is absolutely true I think there is a template for pulling this off in the squared circle. Some of the WWE games on DS had you basically playing out matches in little bite-sized vignettes where you could select one of a couple of prompts, and I believe it played out in a kind of rock-paper-scissors style manner where there was some strategy. The games weren't especially good but I think they had potential, and I could see NLG developing a Punch-Out-like around those ideas.

Yes. Nintendo should buy the source code of Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs New Generation and replace everything with Punch-Out characters. Instant 30 million seller.

The power punches themselves could be replaced by over the top wrestling moves, all done in the comic flashy style of the franchise

I'm down for a Fighting Spirit themed Punch-Out!! spin-off. No grappling, just standing forearm exchanges all match long.

k4xsimx8.gif

5tj95ju4.gif

And maybe some strong style kicks, european uppercuts and stiff knees for non-japanese ethnic stereotypes.

2n7unho4.gif

I would argue Punch Out is already a wrestling game. Super Macho Man in the Wii game? Soda Popinski? Mad Clown? It definitely has more in common with 80’s WWF than any boxing promotion.

Last edited:

yeah one of the biggest ways to piss off a boxing fan is to say it's like wrestling

I would argue Punch Out is already a wrestling game. Super Macho Man in the Wii game? Soda Popinski? Mad Clown? It definitely has more in common with 80’s WWF than any boxing promotion.
See that’s what got me thinking.
Some of the opponents wear wrestling briefs ffs.
They already 90 percent there.

Eh idk. Like @Raccoon says, wrestling is vastly different from boxing.

Personally I think they could just make the jump to full 3D, and have something like a Sekiro-lite combat system. Sekiro's combat is very rhythmic by nature, not too dissimilar to Punch-Out in terms of flow. Bosses very much have patterns to learn, and they're almost like puzzles. Instead of parrying like in Sekiro, there'd moreso be an emphasis on dodging and weaving like traditional Punch-Out. Rework Punch-Out's stamina system to be similar to the posture system, but it also goes up as Little Mac attacks so that way you can't just button spam and there's even more of an emphasis on timing and "choosing your battles" VS Sekiro's approach of all-out aggression.

I admittedly haven't given this much thought, so I'm just kinda spitballing.

See that’s what got me thinking.
Some of the opponents wear wrestling briefs ffs.
They already 90 percent there.
I think they realized between Urban Champion and Pro Wrestling that it’s actually much more difficult to make a mechanically fun wrestling game than a boxing game, but then realized boxing is super boring compared to pro wrestling. So they took the good parts of wrestling and made a boxing game out of it.

Rocky 3.

Literally give us anything Punch-Out!! to play, please, for the love of god. Just do something with the series.

Literally give us anything Punch-Out!! to play, please, for the love of god. Just do something with the series.
They had a great gimmick with Wii motion controls to revive the franchise, but now I fear they might be treating it like f zero. No new gimmick no new game 😞

They had a great gimmick with Wii motion controls to revive the franchise, but now I fear they might be treating it like f zero. No new gimmick no new game 😞
I got into the series with the Wii one, then went back and played the NES and SNES ones. I wish I was told in 2009 that I may as well consider it a three game series for the rest of my life 🫠

I got into the series with the Wii one, then went back and played the NES and SNES ones. I wish I was told in 2009 that I may as well consider it a three game series for the rest of my life 🫠
Arcade Archives Punch-Out!! and Arcade Archives Super Punch-Out!! available now for Nintendo Switch.

Personally I think they could just make the jump to full 3D, and have something like a Sekiro-lite combat system. Sekiro's combat is very rhythmic by nature, not too dissimilar to Punch-Out in terms of flow. Bosses very much have patterns to learn, and they're almost like puzzles. Instead of parrying like in Sekiro, there'd moreso be an emphasis on dodging and weaving like traditional Punch-Out. Rework Punch-Out's stamina system to be similar to the posture system, but it also goes up as Little Mac attacks so that way you can't just button spam and there's even more of an emphasis on timing and "choosing your battles" VS Sekiro's approach of all-out aggression.

different sports yes but who better to combine the two than Nintendo.
They are wacky like that.

Be prepared, it’s very hard! 🤯
I can go for hours on a single quarter on the original arcade PunchOut! (likewise for Super Punchout!, arcade version)

I don't know what it is about the arcade archive but the controls doesn't seem to function like arcade does at all. Something feels way off, I gave up.

I wouldn’t say for the rest of your life.
I believe we’ll get another punch out just like we’ll get another f zero lol.
But seriously tho I don’t believe Nintendo will ever truly abandon one of their franchises. They know their fan base too well.

Super Punch-Out already added a version of the depth you’re describing here, with a build up special bar, high and low blocks, and a turbo mode. I’ve never even enjoyed the Wii game much because they ditched all that stuff to go back to the crusty NES gameplay where you gotta just guess at star punches 😞

we don’t need punch-out to go wrestling, we just need a punch-out game to actually build on those mechanics…

I completely forgot motion controls (and balance board) were an option in Punch-Out Wii, I feel like most people just used sideways wiimote, that game needed precise timing.

I completely forgot motion controls (and balance board) were an option in Punch-Out Wii, I feel like most people just used sideways wiimote, that game needed precise timing.
Balance board you say?
I did not know that was an option in the game and I had the board lol
Will say though that I did get to last boss with motion control.
Had to switch to nes style to beat him

I love Punch-Out! but most of the times I would prefer they let the franchise as it is before trying to adapt the humor and stereotypes to today's standards and butcher half of the games appeal.

I've been waiting for a Pro Wrestling franchise revival from Nintendo for years. Ever since WiiWare I thought it was a brilliant idea, meaning that it doesn't need to be a huge, bombastic game (like the bloated WWE 2K series) to be fun. It could even be an AA title.

They could revive the old roster and open up guest spots for wrestlers from 2D games of old.... Slam Masters, SNK grapplers, Taito's Champion Wrestler, Tecmo World Wrestling, Technos' Mat Mania, Konami's Main Event....

All in one retro styled, glamorous celebration of what Pro Wrestling used to be. Mini games for promos, work-outs, etc.... Ring Valets and Managers, power-ups (vitamins?) that allow your grappler to 'hulk out' and ignore damage, all the tropes from the heydays that would probably be too politically incorrect to even consider putting them in a Nintendo game now (including foreign heels..... Yes, I would consider myself a foreign heel as a Brit 😅).

And yeah, Little Mac as well I guess. I just think we are loooooong overdue this type if game from Nintendo.

At this point I don't really care what the next Punch-Out!! is as long as it is.

I thought it was a dead cert when they gave the Joycons motion controls. I guess they had Next Level Games on Mario Strikers instead though, and I'm not going to complain about that.

Anyway if they make another Punch-Out!! I want Pizza Pasta back. Also Gabby Jay (yay).

Back
Top Bottom