• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club The Massacre in October: Super Mario Bros. Wonder vs Spider-Man 2

Which game will sell more units globally during its lifetime?

• Total voters
My grandfather gave me an advice for life: "Always be as kind as possible to handymen. They're not going to rip you off if they like you!"

So i'm going with Mario. We have some shitty old pipes in our house after all.

When you try to do a joke thread using a copypasta but instead people take it as a serious one. Ah, the duality of mankind, I guess.
I don't expect most people read ACNH vs FF7R back in the day. I'm just happy you liked it enough to use it as a template

God, that thread was wild. I was explaining the dynamics to my partner last night, and why a lot of people thought that FF7R could come out on top in that fight, and why at the time it wasn't super unreasonable

Long-term, Spidey wins this.
I think that Mario would need to radically underperform—or for Spider-Man to be much bigger than any other Sony exclusive—for Spider-Man 2 to outsell it in the short or the long term. Nintendo's not going to discontinue that game any time soon, so it's going to have a sales tail comparable to or better than Spider-Man's, and 2D Mario.... I dunno. It's very big!

I think lifetime Mario should have it pretty handily, but I am interested in first quarter sales. (Not that we'll ever have a definitive answer, as @Dardan Sandiego points out.) 2D Mario games tend to have good legs and are less front-loaded, so I could see both games having 10 million-ish first quarters and then Mario pulling away

Spider-Man 2 has a lot in its favor. PS5 has a much longer life ahead of it meaning very good legs for it. Plus a PC port expands it's audience, as well as discounts and bundles.

Mario on the other hand has a gigantic, and largely active Switch install base to sell to. Mario is also like the popular IP of the year with how successful that movie was.

Sony reported that the Marvel's Spider-Man "series" has sold over 33 million copies, but that's including Miles Morales, so I would guess Spider-Man 1 is between 20 and 30 million sold. NSMB on DS and Wii each sold over 30 million copies.

I'm gonna go with Mario here because the performance of past games is on its side, but this is a really close race. Mario Wonder basically has to tap into the success 2D Mario enjoyed in the 2000s in order to win but its been over a decade since then.

Last edited:
Lighting a candle for Alan Wake 2 as we speak.

I can't see Sega keeping to that date for Sonic. Mario is going to hoover up the 2D platformer sales that month outside of the Sonic faithful.

Brand new Sonic and Mario 2D platformers releasing at around the same time makes me feel like a kid again. I love it.

Lighting a candle for Alan Wake 2 as we speak.

I can't see Sega keeping to that date for Sonic. Mario is going to hoover up the 2D platformer sales that month outside of the Sonic faithful.
Hopefully that's why they haven't officially announced the date. Might have been a placeholder until Nintendo announced their slate as a lot of people expected a new 2D Mario this year.

Anyway, as far as red and blue heroes from New York go, I think the Italian Stallion has this on lock.

Hopefully that's why they haven't officially announced the date. Might have been a placeholder until Nintendo announced their slate as a lot of people expected a new 2D Mario this year.

Anyway, as far as red and blue heroes from New York go, I think the Italian Stallion has this on lock.

Yep, I would bet actual money that Sega didn't announced a Superstars release date because they knew a 2D Mario game was coming, but just didn't know the exact day. They're gonna figure out if they can get this thing out in September.

Months later, there has been more trailers for both games.
Has anyone changed opinions? What game will sell more in the holiday quarter?
I think Mario Wonder will sell 19-20M in the launch quarter 👀

Finally, I think Spiderman 2 will have the best chance of (maybe) out selling Mario Wonder in the opening weekend

Nothing has changed. Both will sell stupid good, probably 20M+ when all is said and done. But Mario's got the early advantage, and I think that's enough.

i just came across this, and i feel it is a worthy bump since it is now ocotebr

mario wonder will be a premier game for switch 1 and 2, it will have leg's

Back
Top Bottom