• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News The Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom Announced for Switch, Releases September 26 (Playable Zelda)

Not sure if we already discussed, but the Twitter banner of @ZeldaOfficialJP has a sneaky Wanted Zelda poster on the far right (behind the Tri Rod)
1500x500
...whoever said something about Zelda being viewed as a doppelganger might have a point, given this info...

Not sure if we already discussed, but the Twitter banner of @ZeldaOfficialJP has a sneaky Wanted Zelda poster on the far right (behind the Tri Rod)
1500x500
...whoever said something about Zelda being viewed as a doppelganger might have a point, given this info...

Thanks for posting this!!

1500x500

She found the Rod in a prison and then we saw her exiting the town wearing a hood to not be recognized…it was pretty obvious to me, probably the Hylians think that she caused the “apocalypse” or something.

She found the Rod in a prison and then we saw her exiting the town wearing a hood to not be recognized…it was pretty obvious to me, probably the Hylians think that she caused the “apocalypse” or something.
"See? This happens if you let a weak female on the throne instead of a strong male like Ganon. Ugh, Hyrule has become WOKE. It's absolutelly her who is the problem and not Ganon. Make Hyrule Great Again." -random Hyrule citizen

For some further consideration on the rifts and other meanings possibly lost in translation, a few things I've read/watched:

1. This video from QuestWithAaron regarding the 'spiriting away' (神隠し kamikakushi; seen in the Japanese trailer of EOW) events and what their significance could mean in the context of Hyrule
2. Tri's Japanese name is トリィ (torii, sounding like Tory with a short o / tree with an o before the r) instead of トライ (torai, sounding like 'try'); some people are trying to connect the name with either 鳥 (bird) or ⛩ (torii gate like those in TOTK), though the general consensus is that the connection is probably still just tri(force/angle).
3. This Japanese YouTube video that also draws attention to a few other things which are I think already covered by most of the English speaking ZeldaTuber videos.

Last edited:
If Zelda is a wanted criminal then someone probably impersonated her (aka made an echo of her), which means we probably have a new villain, which would be fun. That doesn’t really seem like a pig ganon type of thing to do since he generally doesn’t make plans like ganondorf does. Especially after he is clearly defeated at the beginning of the game.

I wonder if the plan is to imply that entities embodying sacred/evil weapons is a more common occurrence after Fi/Girahim? Tri turns in the trirod, maybe another evil-ish fairy creature was in ganons trident? Lets just hope it’s not as boring as “nah ganons anger made all this happen, so just fight ganon againnnnnnn”

1500x500
I love that the wanter poster is a homage to the crappy Link Wanted poster from A Link to the Past.

iu

iu

If Zelda is a wanted criminal then someone probably impersonated her (aka made an echo of her), which means we probably have a new villain, which would be fun. That doesn’t really seem like a pig ganon type of thing to do since he generally doesn’t make plans like ganondorf does. Especially after he is clearly defeated at the beginning of the game.

I wonder if the plan is to imply that entities embodying sacred/evil weapons is a more common occurrence after Fi/Girahim? Tri turns in the trirod, maybe another evil-ish fairy creature was in ganons trident? Lets just hope it’s not as boring as “nah ganons anger made all this happen, so just fight ganon againnnnnnn”
I thought Ganon in the beginning of the trailer was an Echo. He kinda just disappeared when he was defeated by link.

Must be a slow month, but it's neat seeing BBC talking about 2D Zelda... Which is neat, but weird.

The fact the BBC reports on actual princesses so often makes this read very much like a real person starring in something. My brain had to double-take.

I feel like the next Zelda having five to six main dungeons, and like two to four optional dungeons, like five to ten mini dungeons, would be awesome. Meanwhile, you upgrade Hearts and Stamina by finding the Pieces of Heart and Pieces of Stamina in the field

I feel like the next Zelda having five to six main dungeons, and like two to four optional dungeons, like five to ten mini dungeons, would be awesome. Meanwhile, you upgrade Hearts and Stamina by finding the Pieces of Heart and Pieces of Stamina in the field
Zelda: ‘so I can echo anything I can pick up?’
Tri-fairy: ‘yep! It’s really cool, it could be a pot, or a plant, or a chair, or…’
Zelda: lifts up heart container and duplicates it endlessly
Tri-fairy: ‘oh. Oh shit.’

In all honestly though. Echoing heart containers as temporary health while in play sounds like quite a cool defensive buff…

But we also see her soldiers bowing to her on the bluff overlooking the world at the start of the trailer.

That doesn’t really seem like a pig ganon type of thing to do since he generally doesn’t make plans like ganondorf does. Especially after he is clearly defeated at the beginning of the game.
Let's give my Blue Boar credit, though.

This dude was already creating whole other avatars like Agahnim to serve two purposes: To effectively get around the seal keeping him in the Dark World, and also effectively work as a mole within the Hyrule Royal family, who then eventually took OVER the castle and its knights.

Creating another short-lived doppelganger to trick the Hero into a trap (but overlook the possibility that the already captive Zelda could escape) would certainly fit Ganon's MO.

Ganondorf’s Trident possibly having a Fairy/entity inside it wouldn’t be too farfetched. Demise’s Sword was Ghirahim. Maybe Ghirahim’s reencarnation is tied to Demise as well? Or could be an entirely new character that also happens to be the spirit of a weapon.

You know, with how Zelda clearly looks takes ideas from every game to look towards the future, like how Skyward Sword got inspired by the Gust Jar in Minish Cap, or how A Link Between Worlds led to Breath of the Wild which led to Echoes of Wisdom, do we think that Zelda being playable here actually will lead to a Link + Zelda tag team 3D game?

I feel like the pieces are there for that to happen. Tears of the Kingdom's Sages must be a sort of prototype to see how to handle multiple things running around, and Spirit Tracks already had that dual character gameplay in the Tower of Spirits and the final boss (which rules, by the way). Not to mention, the Zelda team is extremely receptive to feedback and pivots pretty well based off criticisms of the past game. There is no way in hell they didn't hear people getting hyped at the prospect of a potential female Link in the first Breath of the Wild trailer, or that people were speculating about playable Zelda for Tears of the Kingdom.

That will be my major 3D Zelda speculation when it is teased in 2026 (I hope). Lock it in, clip it and ship it. We will get a Link and Zelda tag team game as the next big 3D Zelda.

That will be my major 3D Zelda speculation when it is teased in 2026 (I hope). Lock it in, clip it and ship it. We will get a Link and Zelda tag team game as the next big 3D Zelda.

My tinfoil hat theory has been that there will be a third game with the current iteration of Link and Zelda, only instead they will be thrown into a completely new world to explore.

I don't know, Zelda's character arc is so well written and closed in TOTK that I don't want them to touch that again

If nothing else my theory coming to fruition should ensure that Zelda isn't completely split off from Link for the entirety of the adventure in this instance. That in itself would be a huge difference that you could make some interesting scenarios out of.

But I hear you. I'm hoping my theory is wrong in that the next mainline game will be a completely new take. They can always continue the story of Link and Zelda from the current iteration in spinoffs and whatnot.

My theory is that EoW was originally a 2d production made by Aonuma to test the viability of Zelda being manipulatable in the next 3d production, and whether or not they still use the segregation of Zelda and Link as a gameplay and narrative depends on what kind of gameplay mechanics they want to design.

My tinfoil hat theory has been that there will be a third game with the current iteration of Link and Zelda, only instead they will be thrown into a completely new world to explore.
In a sort of ideal world, the Zelda team develops one last game with the engine and assets they have for the sake of pumping out a Zelda game for the Switch 2, but it seems they've more than moved on from the Era of the Wild games.

Bringing a question over from another thread since this one has more activity. I understand this may have already been addressed!

My original q:

Have folks figured out from the trailer if it's a brand new overworld map or the same one from LTTP/LBW? I totally see it's still Hyrule but I figured it was an all new Hyrule like how the map or Twilight Princess Hyrule is totally different from the map of Ocarina of Time Hyrule.

The kind response I received:

so far it's LttP but greatly expanded. there are new areas like Death Mountain, a jungle area, and a Gerudo village

My follow-up q for you fine folks:

Neat! Thank you. Are there definitely screen for screen same locations, meaning, we know it definitely started out as LTTP/LBW Hyrule and uses that as the base?

Do you think it's possible that there will be no dungeons in this game? Aonuma has once again insisted that he wants every player to have a unique and different experience, and traditional dungeons seem to imply a certain standardization of progression, even without total linearity as in ALBW.

My most striking contact with Zelda was Link's Awakening, which was a marvellously solitary experience for the child I was, but I also remember how much I loved asking my sister or school friends for advice when playing LTTP. If no two experiences are the same while playing a game, then there's no line to follow, and I have the feeling, as I did with open-world games, that what we gain in freedom we lose elsewhere.

However, I'm hoping for a more nuanced answer. In many ways, TotK seems to me to be better balanced than BOTW, offering enormous freedom without scorning all linearity.

Back
Top Bottom