• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The lack of Trackmania on the Switch seems like a big missed opportunity to me

Lant_War

Understand, Understand
Pronouns
She/Her
While Trackmania has always been a series that's closely linked to PC, it has had a small console presence for the past couple gens - on the 7th gen we got Trackmania games for both the Wii and the DS, and last gen we got Trackmania Turbo on both PS4 and Xbox. In case you're not familiar with the franchise, they're all physics-heavy racing games pretty much exclusively focused on Time Trials on obstacle-filled tracks full of twists, jumps and turns. Tracks can vary wildly, from 20 second short tracks to several minute ones, some that are focused on nailing tight drifts to others where you have to manage your car's weight to make difficult jumps, etc, and most importantly, you can make, share and play custom tracks which pretty much guarantees endless content and replayability for the game.

I know the "omg this is perfect for the Switch" thing is overplayed to death, but Trackmania truly is a series where a Switch release seems to make sense. The instant pick up and play nature of the game is perfect for a handheld (if anything, proven by it getting two DS entries), and they are very lightweight games too so I can't imagine a port or adaptation of Trackmania Turbo even would be unfeasable. It's even weirder I'd say that no dev has attempted to fill the gap, the closest is probably the new Hot Wheels game but the gameplay there just isn't very Trackmania-like at all. It's also one of the racing games where the lack of analogue triggers isn't an issue, since many of the games' best players play with a mere PC keyboard.

SnappyHideousBushsqueaker-size_restricted.gif
82450709ac263d710b204efcf938d92b.gif
IncomparableHilariousBergerpicard-size_restricted.gif

Not much else to say. I just hope we get a Trackmania game on the Switch eventually or that at least somebody fills the gap.

Don't expect anything good from Ubisoft, their support has been very weird.

But if you like Trackmania, I definitely suggest Hot Wheels Unleashed. Not as fast as TM games but the custom track builder is as robust as them. You can even customize the environment. I have never had this much fun in a arcade racer for a long time.

Don't expect anything good from Ubisoft, their support has been very weird.

But if you like Trackmania, I definitely suggest Hot Wheels Unleashed. Not as fast as TM games but the custom track builder is as robust as them. You can even customize the environment. I have never had this much fun in a arcade racer for a long time.
Yeah I'm aware of the Hot Wheels game and I'll probably pick it up on a sale, but the gameplay looks much less physics-based than Trackmania and that's half the fun for me. Don't get me wrong, I love arcade racers so I'll still love it most likely, but it just won't scratch that itch.

Trackmania Turbo was so great. It might not have been a proper “traditional” TM game but it was so damn fun.

Back
Top Bottom