• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The lack of Gender Representation at the Tournaments of official Nintendo Events

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how we reached the conclusion that the lack of representation in the competitive scene is down to Nintendo not offering cash prizes for tourneys, but here we are I guess.

I'm not sure how we reached the conclusion that the lack of representation in the competitive scene is down to Nintendo not offering cash prizes for tourneys, but here we are I guess.
What? What language am I speaking that, that is your takeaway?

There is no larger organization of the scene. Lack of representation is down to those scenes and how slow they've been to try and nuture a safer environment.

All Nintendo does is pick off from this collective and half heartedly hosts oversized parties.

To justify competing, training, and traveling, competitors need to at least have a financial incentive because its not cheap to go to events. Online competition isnt even slightly practical with Nintendo.

All attempts at trying to grow have been utterly leveled by Nintendo.

Itd be easier to foster a safer environment if there was a larger organization overseeing events and controlling things, but Nintendo doesnt want to because they are opposed to giving money to the pot and ensuring top competitors can financially support themselves.

At this point, many pros are choosing to forgo tournaments to be streamers, because there's more money in streaming than competing. The money they lose competing isnt worth it.

So how is a scene properly supposed to foster a safe environment in this condition? Are you going to travel to California? Jersey? Hawaii? Florida, and monitor all the local scenes happening in small venues? Venues that could be run by freaking anyone I might add?

Itd be really nice if there was genuinely more, but there isnt. Nintendo just feels free to wipe their hands of any responsibility and piggyback off the scene with these oversized parties.

Personally I'm not terribly interested in the competitive tournament scene of videogames as it seems to mostly rely alot on the metagame to understand what's happening sometimes at that level. The commentators may try to explain such things but it still pulls me out of it when I have to wrap my head around it in the moment and decide whether I can appreciate it on a skill-based level or if I just find it dumb in general since it's not something the player would have discovered on their own and probably just got the tactic from within the competitive scene bubble off the internet.

Then I also have the feeling of not caring about a winner in these scenarios since I don't find these skills that garnered them a victory as transferable to anything that actually matters in the real world. Especially anything not team based since that at least allows for communication, teamwork, and coordination.

So in my opinion metagaming sucks and is not interesting when you get down to it, and tourney's seem chock full of metagaming. And with the internet, certain metagaming tactics take prevalence at any given time and seems to homogenize the playstyle which makes it even less appealing. Basically you've seen one tourney, you've seen them all is the impression I get from periodically watching some streamed Smash Bros. tourneys.

This is pure conjecture and speculation on your part. I don't see any evidence to back this up
Most of the reasons are scattered. And years old so im afraid i don't have access to more atm.

But perception of the IP has been big with Nintendo.

(2:02.00 is where the discussion starts.)

And for the most part its how its always been, just them side stepping the bit the players really needed.

Nintendo has never offered a proper pot in any tournament they've sanctioned. They have a history of never offering actual money at their tournaments for the years theyve run it.

Have even TPC ever offered actual money at their tournaments or is it still scholarships and such?

Man... the scene could be so much better than it is now. The loss of Summit and VGBC was so depressing. It could be a more inclusive place.

Last edited:
Inaction? People were perma banned. Majors are more tightly managed, and a lot of the after party drinking culture has been curtailed. The pros that remained and reps have been more vocal in trying to maintain that professional distance from fans. Yeah, there can always be more, but its insulting to say there's inaction.

Its not encompassing every region, but you underesimate how individual these scenes are. You have things split by the west coast, east coast, individual states, even countries. This isnt just one big organization, because guess what? Everytime the scene tries to become something bigger, Nintendo comes and fouls it up breaking things up like with the Smash World Tour and near destruction of VGBC.

That summer was nearly 5 years ago now and things have been quiet. Its possible the behavior is underground, but it belies your ignorance that you dare say inaction.
The Code of Conduct Panel folded in 2020 with an ominous message about unlooked cases from 2018 + more coming in. If you think that because somethings were done 5yrs ago, & admit it could be under their noses again, then they need to do better. They should be talking about this every year transparently with the community including ways to replace & fund the COCP + what they want to achieve each year in making the community safer. It’s been three years now since the panel’s closure & they are doing what exactly? The fact that people can reference this event with little to no quantitative evidence as to steps taken, after the initial banings & minor measures, by the community kinda says it all.

I know how hodgepodge the Smash community is. They can’t even largely agree on simple rulings. You don’t need Nintendo to start organizing better especially now that there were plans for a World Tour & presumably plans for a future one as well. Injecting pot money into the scene is a pipe dream to making a safer environment & including more representation. You’re gonna need hard data to convince anyone of that. Nintendo would have to be actively be more hands on like TPC, Riot, or Capcom to get what you presumably want.

The Code of Conduct Panel folded in 2020 with an ominous message about unlooked cases from 2018 + more coming in. If you think that because somethings were done 5yrs ago, & admit it could be under their noses again, then they need to do better. They should be talking about this every year transparently with the community including ways to replace & fund the COCP + what they want to achieve each year in making the community safer. It’s been three years now since the panel’s closure & they are doing what exactly? The fact that people can reference this event with little to no quantitative evidence as to steps taken, after the initial banings & minor measures, by the community kinda says it all.

I know how hodgepodge the Smash community is. They can’t even largely agree on simple rulings. You don’t need Nintendo to start organizing better especially now that there were plans for a World Tour & presumably plans for a future one as well. Injecting pot money into the scene is a pipe dream to making a safer environment & including more representation. You’re gonna need hard data to convince anyone of that. Nintendo would have to be actively be more hands on like TPC, Riot, or Capcom to get what you presumably want.
Youre not wrong, those are good suggestions. But what happened isn't inaction.

Were plans? Both events went up in flames and their parent companies are shadows of their former selves. People lost jobs. There is no future atm thanks in large part to nintendo. Hopefully things go better with the next game.

But for now Smash is scattered again.

This thread surely wasn‘t intended to go into this direction. It isn‘t even necessarily about the problems in the competitive scene of Smash and more how they might could include more representation of the players of the games they feature in Livestreams of events like Nintendo Live. Because they are aimed at all fans of the games. But I guess you can‘t have one discussion without the other. I should just have left out the word Tournament to have a more calm thread lol.

Sorry for bringing this down to much of the Smash scene's troubles and going off topic. Touchy subject for me. Ill stop now.

Yeah Nintendo needs more representation in their live events. Basic as that.

Sorry for bringing this down to much of the Smash scene's troubles and going off topic. Touchy subject for me. Ill stop now.

Yeah Nintendo needs more representation in their live events. Basic as that.
No problem. Didn‘t realize how complex this topic is and how many elements it includes :)

I didn't watch it but the winner of the Splatoon 3 tournament on stream today was a team with 2 men and 2 women which is cool to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom