• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club The greatest game of all time celebrates its first anniversary.

Best game. Best thread title. Beast traveler featured in the artwork. Mods can't get mad.

Also goddam they went for the jugular with Crick being there. They absolutely know lmao

Last edited:
Coincidentally I've just started playing this for the first time and I'm really enjoying it. It seems a lot less dry than the first game.

Hey, that's not Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe! :mad:
I hope the mods won't get mad at me for the title
I'd be a pretty big hypocrite if I got mad for that!

I need to play and finish the first game. I have it on Switch, but I've barely touched it. I've heard 2 is a huge improvement on the first.

Octopath Traveler II has been sitting in my Amazon Saved for later list for like a year now. I had a chance to get it over the holidays since it was around $40. As a matter of principle, I couldn’t buy Octopath Traveler II without finishing the original even if they aren’t directly related.

What improvements has Square Enix made?

I could google this but also don’t want to risk running into spoilers.

Best game. Best thread title. Beast traveler featured in the artwork. Mods can't get mad.

Also goddam they went for the jugular with Crick being there. They absolutely know lmao
Huh Ochette looks different than I remember

Ignoring the typo, Partitio still looks different than I remember

no lies detected
I need to play and finish the first game. I have it on Switch, but I've barely touched it. I've heard 2 is a huge improvement on the first.
there are no huge improvements. it's one of the internet's prevailing lies going on. people have fooled themselves into thinking Octopath 1 has such big flaws but the 2nd game swooped in and fixed them all. the gameplay is largely the same in both

I need to get back into OT2, absolutely loved the game, but we wound up having to move right around the time the game came out, and being away from it for like 8 months feels dauting to get my bearings on where I'm at.

I need to get back into OT2, absolutely loved the game, but we wound up having to move right around the time the game came out, and being away from it for like 8 months feels dauting to get my bearings on where I'm at.
Beat up a bunch of NPC to get back into the groove. It's for a good cause, they'll understand.

Beat up a bunch of NPC to get back into the groove. It's for a good cause, they'll understand.
My party approaching the nice old man at the edge of town for some XP.

iu

As somebody who has consumed every jrpg they can get their hands on for the better part of 20 years, Octopath one was a serious letdown for me. The battle system seemed like a Bravely Default copy, The story was exceptionally bad, and the overall look of the game was very drab. I didnt even finish it, and it left a sour taste in my mouth. However I would still really like to try the second one, as ive heard fantastic things.

The original was already awesome of course but yes, it does improve on the first. OT2 is what you could call a perfect iterative sequel. Digging through my old posts in the ST I found this one which might give you some insight on the major improvements it makes:
I'd say that it essentially boils down to 4 major elements:

1-Improved mechanics: systems are expanded or refined, you'll have new battle system mechanics (latent powers, ex skills, night passives), more options with the job system (licensees), and more. All of that without making the game feel bloated or without creating systems the player doesn't have any incentive to engage with, which is great in my book. (btw some argue that the second game is too easy too break but your milage may vary)
2-Improved presentation: it's the best looking HD-2D game yet. Tons of unique animation work, asset variety, unique locales, stronger art direction than 1 (imo), beautiful set pieces/backdrops.

And, last but not least, what are arguably the biggest shakeups:
3-Reworked narrative structure: some chapters are split into sub chapters that you can tackle out of order, some chapters don't feature boss fights, other mid-bosses, others no dungeons, they aren't all "4 chapters for each traveler or bust" deals, and in general, without spoiling stuff, might feature surprises that the first game wouldn't throw at you. Ah yes, there are also crossed paths and a full-on finale.
4-Reworked world design: the map itself is not as "square", there's more diverse locales, dungeons (outside of the final chapter ones) are shorter, and together with towns now feature more verticality and traversal options thanks to ladders and canoes, sea exploration.

All of this stuff and more that I'm probably forgetting is (obviously) coupled with the strengths of the first game, which I imagine you're familiar with.
If you want an even longer, more in-depth overview there's @PixelKnight's excellent "Enjoyed Octopath Traveller 2 so much that I played through OT1 immediately afterwards, here’s my thoughts on the series."

The original was already awesome of course but yes, it does improve on the first. OT2 is what you could call a perfect iterative sequel. Digging through my old posts in the ST I found this one which might give you some insight on the major improvements it makes:

If you want an even longer, more in-depth overview there's @PixelKnight's excellent "Enjoyed Octopath Traveller 2 so much that I played through OT1 immediately afterwards, here’s my thoughts on the series."
Much appreciated!

I barely played the first game, but I really enjoyed listening to the soundtrack. I own but have yet to start the second game, and I'm still patiently waiting for the soundtrack to release in North America on Apple Music/iTunes. (Why won't they release it? :() I'm glad people love it so much. It's great when a developer succeeds in executing their vision.

I’m still yet to play it. I picked it up at Amazon for £25 a couple of weeks ago.
Honestly, I’m not a huge fan of the HD-2D art but style in general but I’ve been told that I’d enjoy this game by many people.

Back
Top Bottom