• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles has sold 500,000 copies worldwide

What was the leaked expectation roughly again? Edit 300,000 lifetime, thanks!

I most want a new game, AA7 or GAA3, and then I hope we get 4, 5, 6, on Switch and most importantly an Investigations collection somehow. We still need Investigations 2 officially.

Last edited:
this makes me very deeply happy. the DGS games are such brilliant quality, best since the ogs by far. Shu Takumi was just on full-blast for these

the story behind these games is such an underdog triumphant one too. how DGS2 almost never got made cause of poor sales in Japan but they pushed so hard for it to happen, the extremely long and ardrous fight to make the localization happen even beyond that. all that leading to this big W now

as deserved as it gets.

Last edited:
What a kickass success story for the duology, especially after the initial Japanese releases.

What was the leaked expectation roughly again?

I most want a new game, AA7 or GAA3, and then I hope we get 4, 5, 6, on Switch and most importantly an Investigations collection somehow. We still need Investigations 2 officially.
The hack leaks had Capcom expecting 195,000 for year one and 300,000 after four years.

Still only into the beginning of the second case of the first GAA, but it’s been super fun. Well deserved.

What a kickass success story for the duology, especially after the initial Japanese releases.

The hack leaks had Capcom expecting 195,000 for year one and 300,000 after four years.
195,000 after one year? That's surprisingly low considering how beloved the series is among Nintendo fans.

300,000 after four years? Damn, it freakin SMASHED those expectations

There's your cue, Capcom. Keep the Ace Attorney flowing. I need as much of it as humanly possible.

I still remember when the game was first teased. It was in a Japanese Nintendo Direct, and all the teaser communicated was that a new Ace Attorney was in development under the direction of Shu Takumi. Well, colour me intrigued. But then the other shoe drops: it's going to be a crossover with Sherlock Holmes. The creator of Ace Attorney was returning to bridge his murder mystery series together with the godfather of the genre. The trailers also showed a version of Ace Attorney with a sense of style like no previous title.

But then so many years passed, and this game I became so interested in was never localized. I was over the moon to finally play it, and better yet, it actually surpassed my expectations. It's a beautiful duology, and something that I don't think can really be replicated. That slow build approach that contributed to its depreciated sales in Japan is also part of what makes the ultimate package such an achievement.

Thread theme:

Alternatively:

this makes me very deeply happy. the DGS games are such brilliant quality, best since the ogs by far. Shu Takumi was just on full-blast for these

the story behind these games is such an underdog triumphant one too. how DGS2 almost never got made cause of poor sales in Japan but they pushed so hard for it to happen, the extremely long and ardrous fight to make the localization happen even beyond that. all that leading to this big W now

as deserved as it gets.
Yeah, the games didn't meet sales expectations in Japan and the first game received numerous negative reviews from fans online due to its cliffhanger ending. The producer of Chronicles wrote a blogpost about his efforts to give the games a second chance.

Once I beat Kirby and Star Wars, I'll finally get back into playing this.
And hopefully by the time I beat it, they'll have released that other trilogy on the Switch.

Yes! Now bring on AAI3, GAA3, and AA7! I want some new games Capcom!

I still remember when the game was first teased. It was in a Japanese Nintendo Direct, and all the teaser communicated was that a new Ace Attorney was in development under the direction of Shu Takumi. Well, colour me intrigued. But then the other shoe drops: it's going to be a crossover with Sherlock Holmes. The creator of Ace Attorney was returning to bridge his murder mystery series together with the godfather of the genre. The trailers also showed a version of Ace Attorney with a sense of style like no previous title.

But then so many years passed, and this game I became so interested in was never localized. I was over the moon to finally play it, and better yet, it actually surpassed my expectations. It's a beautiful duology, and something that I don't think can really be replicated. That slow build approach that contributed to its depreciated sales in Japan is also part of what makes the ultimate package such an achievement.

Alternatively:

Yeah, the games didn't meet sales expectations in Japan and the first game received numerous negative reviews from fans online due to its cliffhanger ending. The producer of Chronicles wrote a blogpost about his efforts to give the games a second chance.

wow that blog post from the producer is something else.

As all you fans have said so many times, I really do think that Adventures and Resolve together forms one complete ‘god-tier game’. In fact, I’d go so far as to call it one of the best pieces of mystery entertainment in the world. Which is why I was so sad that we couldn’t bring it out in the rest of the world, and sad for the people who didn’t pick up the second game, and really, really sad for those who didn’t even pick up the first game. I guess it’s unusual for someone who wasn’t even a part of the original dev team to feel this incredibly sad over something, but that’s how I felt.

As I said, I had chosen to come to Capcom because of my love for Ace Attorney, and after a great many talks with the original dev members, I began to believe that perhaps it was my calling to try to re-introduce The Great Ace Attorney to Japanese players, and finally introduce it to the rest of the world. I’d worked on a few games by that point and gained some experience as a producer, so one day, at a meeting with my boss (the one who told me to write up all those reviews into a report), I boldly proposed, ‘Let me start a project to bring the two games together and port them to current gen platforms! I believe it will absolutely sell, so please give me the chance to show you!’ And…to my surprise, he simply answered, ‘I see… Well, I won’t say no just yet, so why don’t you try and come up with a plan first and we can go from there…’!!! In that moment, I could hear the doors to The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles project creak open.

talk about literally oozing with passion for your project! nothing but pure respect for this man for starting the project to make this little side-series into a success at long last.

Well deserved. My GOTY in 2021. Absolute masterpiece and the journey you go on is a emotional rollercoaster with so many plot twists and amazing characters.

Although I wish this game was a million seller, it deserves so much more. Hopefully AA7 is still real and coming soon.

I was initially not that impressed with it, and was worried that I was just done with the series. And then of course, things started getting crazier, and I remembered why I loved the series in the first place. These are great games, and I'm definitely hoping for more. Good to hear that the sales are at a level that could happen.

I like when niche games vastly surpass sales expectations, i guess its because im a troid fan. Never played an ace attorney game but im happy for the fans

Awesome! Joined together in the same package, these two form what is in my opinion the best Ace Attorney game.

Shit that's amazing! If this has legs like the AA Trilogy, it could become a million seller. Not too hard to see, as we're probably getting more games in the near future that will keep the public interested in the franchise.

What a success story after we thought we would never be able to play these games. So happy to see it.

Well-deserved! Amazing games. Herlock Sholmes is one of the GOAT Ace Attorney characters too.
I loved Sholmes in this. The gradual realisation that

he’s been playing at being dumb and goofy all along, allowing you to fill in the gaps, before ‘no more games’ at the end. I went from thinking ‘I don’t like this version of the character’ to thinking he was really interesting.

Amazing to hear! Very well deserved, these games are a narrative journey for the ages.

I would love some more filler cases as as followup or maybe even DLC (and I say that as someone who's not normally keen on DLC). I enjoy AA at its best when the stakes are more restrained. Just another case for Ryunosuke/Phoenix/Apollo. Heaven.

I loved Sholmes in this. The gradual realisation that

he’s been playing at being dumb and goofy all along, allowing you to fill in the gaps, before ‘no more games’ at the end. I went from thinking ‘I don’t like this version of the character’ to thinking he was really interesting.

Yeah, exactly what I loved too.

The best game(s) I played last year, and up there with the best of the series, very well deserved. Always nice to see Acw Attorney thriving. As much as I would love for this to mean we’re getting AA7, honestly just let Takumi do whatever he wants. New mainline AA, new GAA, Ghost Trick 2, something completely new, the man just doesn’t miss.

I need to get around to finishing this game sometime… Only made it through the first half so far. I’ve enjoyed what I played, but it hasn’t come close to the Famicom Detective Club remakes to me. (Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be surprised if those have sold quite a bit less than TGAAC…)

The best game(s) I played last year, and up there with the best of the series, very well deserved. Always nice to see Acw Attorney thriving. As much as I would love for this to mean we’re getting AA7, honestly just let Takumi do whatever he wants. New mainline AA, new GAA, Ghost Trick 2, something completely new, the man just doesn’t miss.
Ghost Trick 2 would be a dream come true.

Having a blast playing though aa6 right now and planned on playing the investigation games next before gaa chronicles but I'm very tempted to just pickup gaa right after I finish 6.

Quoted by: Leo
Having a blast playing though aa6 right now and planned on playing the investigation games next before gaa chronicles but I'm very tempted to just pickup gaa right after I finish 6.

Honestly, the first Investigations game is bad. People say 2 is amazing, but I haven't played it.

Honestly, the first Investigations game is bad. People say 2 is amazing, but I haven't played it.
I thought Investigations 1 was passable. Kinda bland, the ending really draaaaaags, but I didn't mind it. I like it more than Apollo Justice or Dual Destinies

But yeah, Investigations 2 is in a different stratosphere. Totally lives up to the hype

That's a real relief to hear, especially after hearing how distressed the staff was after the first game bombed

I'm so glad everyone got to experience this game finally

Back
Top Bottom