• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The Game Awards 2021 nominees revealed (UPDATE: Players' Voice voting now open)

which game will win the goty award?

• deathloop

Votes: 33 17.6%
  • it takes two

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • metroid dread

Votes: 116 61.7%
  • psychonauts 2

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • ratchet and clank: rift apart

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • resident evil village

Votes: 16 8.5%

• Total voters
It's still really dumb that this is happening in November. The entire schedule of this awards show is multiple months too early.

It's still really dumb that this is happening in November. The entire schedule of this awards show is multiple months too early.
it's cuz it's not really a credible award show, it's mostly just a 3 hour long advertisement for people to buy games and consoles during the holidays.

it's cuz it's not really a credible award show, it's mostly just a 3 hour long advertisement for people to buy games and consoles during the holidays.
I'm not sure there's really any "credible" award shows, but TGAs are definitely worse than most.

I’m not sure that it’s not “credible” when the fans lend it validity by watching it, voting on it, complaining about the results or celebrating the results.

Like it’s community feedback and reactions that makes these things credible, and TGA has got that in spades now.

I’m not really sure what a “credible” awards show would be if not that lol.

I'm not sure there's really any "credible" award shows, but TGAs are definitely worse than most.
i would say the game BAFTAs, GDC awards, DICE, etc are more credible and can be taken more seriously. if only because the awards aren't a side show to a long event to appease advertisers and sponsors. like, the fact that last year so many of the winners didn't get to give a speech (including major awards like best indie for hades) meanwhile random ass film trailers and celeb speeches filled the show makes it not really something to care for if you're looking for a show that celebrates excellence in video games.

i would say the game BAFTAs, GDC awards, DICE, etc are more credible and can be taken more seriously. if only because the awards aren't a side show to a long event to appease advertisers and sponsors. like, the fact that last year so many of the winners didn't get to give a speech (including major awards like best indie for hades) meanwhile random ass film trailers and celeb speeches filled the show makes it not really something to care for if you're looking for a show that celebrates excellence in video games.
I mean those are issues with TGA format of the show, but I wouldn’t say they have to do with the credibility of the awards

I’m not sure that it’s not “credible” when the fans lend it validity by watching it, voting on it, complaining about the results or celebrating the results.

Like it’s community feedback and reactions that makes these things credible, and TGA has got that in spades now.

People tune in for the announcements. So the awards could be trash but people would still watch

Damn, this thread is such a downer.

TGA is the video game awards show and it's run just like the Golden Globes, with the press voting on it, not people from inside the industry.
Yes, it's in big parts just a fancy advertisement show, but otherwise no one would watch it and just think about the amounts of eyes that lie on the nominated indie games each year, this is huge for them!
I think TGA are fun, I like to watch them and never understood the hate people feel towards them. It's a big celebration of gaming, so lighten up and have fun with it!

Damn, this thread is such a downer.

TGA is the video game awards show and it's run just like the Golden Globes, with the press voting on it, not people from inside the industry.
Yes, it's in big parts just a fancy advertisement show, but otherwise no one would watch it and just think about the amounts of eyes that lie on the nominated indie games each year, this is huge for them!
I think TGA are fun, I like to watch them and never understood the hate people feel towards them. It's a big celebration of gaming, so lighten up and have fun with it!
This is perhaps a little uncharitable to TGA, and I'm not trying to specifically dogpile on your view of the show (if you enjoy it, that's fantastic and I'm glad), but my cynical take is that if an awards show needs Winter E3 to be attached to it to get people to watch, then maybe the awards show isn't all that worth watching on its own and they're better off just airing the Winter E3?

Admittedly, I'd probably be more charitable if I didn't find watching TGAs kind of boring, perhaps if I was more into it I'd like it more. I do think them trying to fit in Winter E3 to get people to watch makes for a worse awards show...and also makes for a worse Winter E3 interspersed with a kind of lacking awards show.

How big are the chances we see Metroid Prime 4, if Metroid Dread wins the GOTY Award?
Honestly, I don't think Nintendo is leveraging showing a Metroid Prime 4 trailer on whether or not it wins GOTY. If they show a trailer, they show a trailer.

This is perhaps a little uncharitable to TGA, and I'm not trying to specifically dogpile on your view of the show (if you enjoy it, that's fantastic and I'm glad), but my cynical take is that if an awards show needs Winter E3 to be attached to it to get people to watch, then maybe the awards show isn't all that worth watching on its own and they're better off just airing the Winter E3?

Admittedly, I'd probably be more charitable if I didn't find watching TGAs kind of boring, perhaps if I was more into it I'd like it more. I do think them trying to fit in Winter E3 to get people to watch makes for a worse awards show...and also makes for a worse Winter E3 interspersed with a kind of lacking awards show.

Well, the medium of games isn't as well renowned and as old as movies for example, so I think there is still a long way before we can have a legitimate show like the Oscars, where it's not mainly advertisement, but it's still watched by millions. I would also like more gaming-specific awards, like level design, world design, animation, etc.
But at this point in time it needs "Winter E3" to get the people, so I just go with it for now.

"Credible" awards shows like the Academy Awards suck. I'll take TGA over that any day. You can tune out the drivel and tab back in when a game trailer or preview that interests you starts. It's actually great! And the awardees are sometimes laughable but it's not dire.

And to the idea that the awards themselves -- if one even cares about those, which I don't -- are cheapened by the fact that publishers use the event for marketing, two things. One, all awards shows are used for marketing, especially the prestigious ones. Even if you're not running trailers during the broadcast, you're angling to win the awards so you can use it to sell your game as the Best _____ Winner. Same thing happens with movies, hence "for your consideration" campaigns. Hell, movies get made just so they can win Oscars. And two, it's really not like the awards are just there as an excuse to show trailers. Why would they need an excuse? If Geoff didn't care about the awards, he could just pitch "The Winter Game Celebration" exclusively for trailers and celebrity appearances or whatever.

And two, it's really not like the awards are just there as an excuse to show trailers. Why would they need an excuse? If Geoff didn't care about the awards, he could just pitch "The Winter Game Celebration" exclusively for trailers and celebrity appearances or whatever.

Because Geoff isn't stupid and he knows how intense fans can get when their favourite games/companies are getting recognition, and that attracts not only viewers but also social media discussion. This elevates the relevance of the show and makes it more attractive (and expensive!) for publishers to appear in and promote their games on it. This get Geoff and the producers more moeny. That´s why.

83 million people tuned in to last year's TGA.

The peak viewshiper for any E3 thing this year was 3.1m.

People clearly care more about this for something.

Well, without trying to discuss which show was more relevant, those are two different metrics to be compared to. Also, E3 is expanded through several days.

Last edited:
i guess i could be wrong. my assumption has always been that while most of course are mildly interested in the awards, the majority just tune in for the trailers and announcements, and would do so even if there were no awards at all.

83 million people tuned in to last year's TGA.

The peak viewshiper for any E3 thing this year was 3.1m.
where are you getting the E3 number from? other than E3 not being a singular event therefore views getting spread across multiple days and events, the TGA number is the combined viewership on youtube/twitch/twitter/etc/all the re-streams and stuff.

"Credible" awards shows like the Academy Awards suck. I'll take TGA over that any day. You can tune out the drivel and tab back in when a game trailer or preview that interests you starts. It's actually great! And the awardees are sometimes laughable but it's not dire.

And to the idea that the awards themselves -- if one even cares about those, which I don't -- are cheapened by the fact that publishers use the event for marketing, two things. One, all awards shows are used for marketing, especially the prestigious ones. Even if you're not running trailers during the broadcast, you're angling to win the awards so you can use it to sell your game as the Best _____ Winner. Same thing happens with movies, hence "for your consideration" campaigns. Hell, movies get made just so they can win Oscars. And two, it's really not like the awards are just there as an excuse to show trailers. Why would they need an excuse? If Geoff didn't care about the awards, he could just pitch "The Winter Game Celebration" exclusively for trailers and celebrity appearances or whatever.
The argument that the awards aren't cheapened by the fact it's a big marketing event (and no doubt a lot of awards shows - this one is that on steroids) falls a bit flat when most of the awards are handed out in a 5-10 second segments throughout the night. Awards are absolutely an excuse here, he's always said he wanted something as big (or bigger) than the Oscars, which are another set of awards shows and as bad as they can be with marketing and trailers in ad breaks, at least they showcase nominations and winners properly.

Gaming in general has a 'looking forward' problem, where a large segment of people only care about what's coming next and not what's already been and this show (seemingly about awards for games in the preceding year if you were to go by the name) is the prime example of it. I'm not saying you can't have adverts for new things but when it takes up 90%+ of your show then it's a bit silly. Not to say that shows like this can't exist, I just wish their name would reflect what they actually are.

Anyway, I'm more a DICE, GDC and BAFTA person anyway as awards season has properly died down by the time those happen, and the nominations/voting comes from people from more areas of the industry, not just one segment.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20211124-040058_Opera.jpg

Ratchet won goty?

I want to vote Metroid Dread but I know it's not gonna win. I just don't actually know who will win, to me it's between Deathloop and Ratchet and Clank.
Well among those two Deathloop is the more violent one, it's a shooter and with realistic humans. So that's what will win.

I'm rooting for Dread so badly but yeah I don't know if it has a shot knowing how biased there awards are.

Screenshot_20211124-040058_Opera.jpg

Ratchet won goty?

It probably won the uservote, but i don't think it won the actual award yet because the uservotes are a only a little part of the actual decision and the major part comes from the jury's votes.

That R&C won the online votes shouldn't be surprising, it's the only Sony game there (Deathloop's technically a MS game by now ;] ) and you know ... the internet is full of ... you know ... and of course they would vote for the only Sony game on the list. ;]

The chances for Metroid Dread to win GotY are as big as Cyberpunk 2077's to win best RPG.

so it actually has a shot fami!! 😍

BOTW only won because it was one of the most celebrated games ever on Metacritic and had massive sales and clout.
We can say the same about Super Mario Odyssey and less sales but incredible fan base and critical praise, Persona 5, and neither won nor would loose to Horizon even if both had like 7-10 higher metascore.

And yes 2014 was a real shame... A game nobody even remembers(Dragon Age Inquisition) won, one of the best racing games of all time wasn't even nominated (Mario Kart 8, and that's why I'm not surprised Forza wasn't), also Smash, and the other favorite was another game nobody remembers exists(SoM) while a game that won some best of all time awards(Bayo2) didn't win anything iirc.

Games like Metroid Dread, Super Mario Galaxy, Persona 5, now SMT V are way more likely to receive best of all time list mentions and even #1s than actually winning GotY when they release.

I'm sorry but sometimes the way the hype is cultivated and the way gaming awards are distributed makes me think north american and european publications have the same mindsets as boomer and incel gamers of "ugh Mario is just a child game" or "that (insert any GoaT not named Final Fantasy Japanese game like Persona 5 here) is just a generic anime with bad graphics (can't appreciate any non-realistic design).

A game nobody even remembers(Dragon Age Inquisition) won
These 2014 GOTY discussions are never fair. I remember. I'm sure plenty other people remember as well. What Inquisition did in the AAA space for LGBT representation, no other game has tried to match since (except TLOU2). I don't see any of the titles people list as more deserving dare have a prominent character like Dorian, and I certainly don't see the more universally celebrated "GOTY"s of following years (The Witcher 3, BOTW) doing so either. That was a breakthrough, one that resonated with many people that usually feel left out by the industry, and it sucks to see it pushed aside like that all the time.

I'm glad they prioritized games from previous years like GTA Online, Apex Legends or Destiny 2 over actual 2021 games like TGAA or NMH3

To be incredibly blunt, I don't see why you would draw the line at games which have extensive ongoing support through the past year, yet allow games that are only really late ports from half a decade ago.

To be incredibly blunt, I don't see why you would draw the line at games which have extensive ongoing support through the past year, yet allow games that are only really late ports from half a decade ago.
Going by TGA's own rules, TGAA counts as a 2021 game since it's the first time it's been released on the west.

I feel RE village was the most, hype I guess? full honesty I think metroid dread deserves game of the year, it revived a franchise and brought it into pervosily unseen success, it was the launch title for a new hardware revision and the dedication put into getting it out there was probably the most i've seen from Nintendo since smash. but that doesn't matter since unless your game is a cinematic action adventure game it probably isn't going to win.

the only nintendo games I feel that could ever win goty are zelda or xenoblade if it has a p5 like breakout.

Guys help me I’m actually starting to get hopeful for a Dread win
If Metroid Dread wins GOTY, Nintendo better release epic lore. What happened to the Etecoons and Dachoras? #ReleaseTheLore

The Chicory disrespect just continues.
Not to get too warriory but that's kind of what happens when you launch an indie game console exclusive to the Playstation these days. I remember the same thing happening to Guacamelee 2 and Spelunky 2, just lost in the shuffle.

I voted for dread. Its my personal goty, and thats
Coming from someone who was always a casual metroid fan with no strong affinity towards the series

So uhh is Player's Voice using a different set of rules or is Halo Infinite basically ineligible next year?

Though I think Mortal Kombat 11 was nominated two years in a row due to its expansion, so it could enter as "Halo Infinite - Campaign" or something

So uhh is Player's Voice using a different set of rules or is Halo Infinite basically ineligible next year?

Though I think Mortal Kombat 11 was nominated two years in a row due to its expansion, so it could enter as "Halo Infinite - Campaign" or something
I’m still bitter Xenoblade Chronicles 2 got snubbed both years it was eligible

Back
Top Bottom