• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    šŸš§ We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. šŸš§

The Future of Final Fantasy, discussion thread

I'm a bit interested in the game but honestly the stuff about the lack of (or barely) presence of PoC in the game or the full exclusivity (seriously no PC at this point?) soured me that plan. And I have a PS5 by the way, but I can wait until the game get cheaper at the end of the year.

Thatā€™s how a lot of bigger games operate. It got a lot of sales at higher prices upfront and then made steady sales at lower prices which not every game does as well. Someone more interested in sales than me could try to map average price to the sales milestones, but the main point here is a ton of people did pick the game up. If Square was happy with it, generally I donā€™t care beyond that.
They were dissatisfied enough to cancel already announced DLC for XV

Square-Enix did say in PR that they were happy about FFXV's sales but I don't know that that's stayed true; there's evidence that they never sold through their initial shipment in Japan even after the bomber bin pricing it got very early on, and a huge amount of its sales came after it was deeply discounted on many different platforms

That early-ish PR probably doesn't tell the whole story about the sales over the lifetime of the game. Revenue, including DLC adoption, was low enough that they abandoned the big final DLC that was supposed to tie everything together, which is a very concrete and very negative sign

Last edited:
BRUH, I'm literally just now realizing the Stinky horse reveal was real because of Imran's patreon post. WTF? I saw it on twitter and the cover art was so bad I didn't think it was real!

Other than chocobos and the summons, nothing really screams mainline Final Fantasy imo. And I'm personally not sure about the grittier take the series has been moving towards. I guess it's okay for a few entries, but I hope it doesn't stay that way going forward. I like the goofy whimsical side of FF, and this seems like it's taking itself too seriously.
One game with a ā€œgrittierā€ take is now what the series is going for?

FFXV is a weird case of having the appearances of good overall sales, but it hit bargain bin prices very quickly, and the game had negative enough sentiments around it that no one seemingly wanted to even touch the DLC. Selling a lot of base copies cheaply would have been fine if the DLC and surrounding IP plans had been as successful as they'd hoped, but they seemingly weren't.

So much hatred for whatā€™s my second most anticipated game this year after Zelda. For me, FF always delivers, no matter what kind of game it is.

Yea, XV is sorta the odd one out, although I'd wonder if even with 10 million in sales if they actually recouped the development costs given how protracted the development was. But something with that game really resonated with people even despite all its faults which is still cool to see.

I still think that if Switch 2 is a continuation of the hardware design of Switch that we're going to see Square push like crazy to port the rest of their catalog over to Nintendo's hardware. XIII is hitting it's 15th anniversary next year, XVI will be exiting the exclusivity period in January (barring Intergrade style shenanigans), 7R can happen whenever and 7R2 will be out of any exclusivity window likely by middle of 2024. Sprinkle in native ports of KH games (at least the original trilogy) and you've got a pretty healthy pipeline.

Plenty of people were annoyed about the loss of the dual screen since it's derived from Solo Remix, and the replacement control scheme for playing on TV, plus I'm guessing a portion of that fan base had already moved on. I think people also felt kinda burned after Solo Remix sorta promising the new content that would eventually come with Final Remix only for it not to happen in Solo Remix.

I don't think it was just the marketing, but a lot of what made that game unique was really tied up with the DS and the context into which it was released. Persona hadn't really caught on yet in the west yet even though (coincidentally TWEWY and P3FES both landed the same day in NA) and in general S-E was struggling with the PS3 with FFXIII still about 2 years away at that point, and still coming off some their merger pains that started to rear their head in the late PS2 era. TWEWY was probably the project that made me take notice of what Square-Enix was doing on the DS after seeing fairly sour reactions to Tactics A2 and the Mana games in reviews and the online discourse.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that the market Final Remix and Neo entered into was vastly different than what the original game benefited from. And there was probably no way for S-E to recapture that lightning in a bottle again.
I donā€™t have time to really look it up on mobile right now but SE said way back around XVā€™s release that they recouped development costs on launch day and no, itā€™s not something they were at liberty to lie about. Itā€™s important to remember that any ā€œdevelopmentā€ on the game prior to 2013 was minuscule. The game was made in basically 3 years, so this narrative that itā€™s development was a giant money sink just doesnā€™t hold any water.

Maybe this is just me being out of touch with modern gaming, but... are preorders that big of a thing? I have preordered a grand total of like, a couple game in my entire life, and it was just to get the exclusive bonus like the gamecube Zelda disc.

Preordering limited things like consoles or special editions makes sense to me, but preordering just standard games I don't really get.

Maybe this is just me being out of touch with modern gaming, but... are preorders that big of a thing? I have preordered a grand total of like, a couple game in my entire life, and it was just to get the exclusive bonus like the gamecube Zelda disc.

Preordering limited things like consoles or special editions makes sense to me, but preordering just standard games I don't really get.
Pre-loading, my friend. Also they generally come with a few bonuses.

I do it because I have atrocious internet speeds. At 3mbps I need several days to a whole week to download a modern AAA game.

Pre-loading, my friend. Also they generally come with a few bonuses.
I do it because I have atrocious internet speeds. At 3mbps I need several days to a whole week to download a modern AAA game.
Oh, derp. I didn't even think about 'preorders' applying to digital games, that makes way more sense. In my head a 'preorder' is like the old school 'I physically went to Gamestop and put a preorder in the system for a physical copy of X game' scenario

One game with a ā€œgrittierā€ take is now what the series is going for?
I mean, you got this, Type 0, and SoP. Not that I don't play M rated games or anything, just that this is a series that has cute Cactuar and Moogles in it and even crosses over with Disney so the gore, sex, and some of the language can take me out of it a bit. I would feel the same way if, I don't know, Zelda became M rated.

FF is no stranger to violence as FF7 had it's bloody moments so it's okay I guess. I'm just not really into the dark GoT style direction this game is going for.

Yea, XV is sorta the odd one out, although I'd wonder if even with 10 million in sales if they actually recouped the development costs given how protracted the development was. But something with that game really resonated with people even despite all its faults which is still cool to see.

I still think that if Switch 2 is a continuation of the hardware design of Switch that we're going to see Square push like crazy to port the rest of their catalog over to Nintendo's hardware. XIII is hitting it's 15th anniversary next year, XVI will be exiting the exclusivity period in January (barring Intergrade style shenanigans), 7R can happen whenever and 7R2 will be out of any exclusivity window likely by middle of 2024. Sprinkle in native ports of KH games (at least the original trilogy) and you've got a pretty healthy pipeline.

Plenty of people were annoyed about the loss of the dual screen since it's derived from Solo Remix, and the replacement control scheme for playing on TV, plus I'm guessing a portion of that fan base had already moved on. I think people also felt kinda burned after Solo Remix sorta promising the new content that would eventually come with Final Remix only for it not to happen in Solo Remix.

I don't think it was just the marketing, but a lot of what made that game unique was really tied up with the DS and the context into which it was released. Persona hadn't really caught on yet in the west yet even though (coincidentally TWEWY and P3FES both landed the same day in NA) and in general S-E was struggling with the PS3 with FFXIII still about 2 years away at that point, and still coming off some their merger pains that started to rear their head in the late PS2 era. TWEWY was probably the project that made me take notice of what Square-Enix was doing on the DS after seeing fairly sour reactions to Tactics A2 and the Mana games in reviews and the online discourse.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that the market Final Remix and Neo entered into was vastly different than what the original game benefited from. And there was probably no way for S-E to recapture that lightning in a bottle again.
Almost all the development costs that went into FFvs13 would have been written off as a sunk cost when the game was rebooted as FF15. They would have no impact on if the FF15 project was successful or not, and we know FF15 was very successful.

Come out from under that rock you've been living under, pre orders are a massive deal for both publishers and retailers.

Yeah. This the most surprising thing cause I thought the game has been heavily marketed. But I donā€™t see much either. Of course in gaming fourm I do.

Funny contrast to Zelda where I saw a lot of anticipation from causal players. Even with the ā€œlackā€ of marketing for that title. But that one did have the benefit of having a popular title still selling and well liked to this day (BOTW). Then the trailer 3 came out and everyone was looking forward to Zelda. Maybe a demo can help the game.
Yeah, TOTK benefitted from being a sequel to an extremely popular game. 16 is just another Final Fantasy, which has been an inconsistent brand for decades now.

I mean, you got this, Type 0, and SoP. Not that I don't play M rated games or anything, just that this is a series that has cute Cactuar and Moogles in it and even crosses over with Disney so the gore, sex, and some of the language can take me out of it a bit. I would feel the same way if, I don't know, Zelda became M rated.

FF is no stranger to violence as FF7 had it's bloody moments so it's okay I guess. I'm just not really into the dark GoT style direction this game is going for.
Three games (2 of which are spine-offs) is your sample size for this? When Iā€™m that same period we had XV, VIIRemake, and a spin-off in World of Final Fantasy. All games that had levity in them, though World is obviously on the other end of XVI from what has been shown. Did you actually play Stranger of Paradise? Because while itā€™s ā€œseriousā€ and ā€œdarkā€, itā€™s also hopeful and optimistic in many ways?

The world ends in VI, in VII the world is on the way to an ecological apocalypse, Xā€™s entire setting is post-apocalyptic.

The series has always, always dealt with dark themes and I just donā€™t see how this game leaning into it heavier than others has to be a bad thing.

Almost all the development costs that went into FFvs13 would have been written off as a sunk cost when the game was rebooted as FF15. They would have no impact on if the FF15 project was successful or not, and we know FF15 was very successful.

Come out from under that rock you've been living under, pre orders are a massive deal for both publishers and retailers.
I can see the reasoning for preload purposes and I"m sure there are other reasons to do so, but neither I nor really anyone I know has ever been much of a preorder-er. I didn't know it was something that was cared about all that much.

With the talk that Sony's even got their hands on the Final Fantasy IX remake despite it supposedly being on par with the Trials of Mana remake scope/budget wise has me wondering if Sony's worried that a powerful enough Switch 2 could snatch the Final Fantasy audience away.

I think many would agree that RPGs are best on a handheld that lord knows that PlayStation Q thing is going to tank.

Three games (2 of which are spine-offs) is your sample size for this? When Iā€™m that same period we had XV, VIIRemake, and a spin-off in World of Final Fantasy. All games that had levity in them, though World is obviously on the other end of XVI from what has been shown. Did you actually play Stranger of Paradise? Because while itā€™s ā€œseriousā€ and ā€œdarkā€, itā€™s also hopeful and optimistic in many ways?

The world ends in VI, in VII the world is on the way to an ecological apocalypse, Xā€™s entire setting is post-apocalyptic.

The series has always, always dealt with dark themes and I just donā€™t see how this game leaning into it heavier than others has to be a bad thing.
I didn't say it was bad per se, just that FF always had mature storytelling without it going completely overboard though. It's fine if you're into that, but it's simply not for me. I'll still play it, and might even like it but I'm not really into what I'm seeing at the moment.

With the talk that Sony's even got their hands on the Final Fantasy IX remake despite it supposedly being on par with the Trials of Mana remake scope/budget wise has me wondering if Sony's worried that a powerful enough Switch 2 could snatch the Final Fantasy audience away.
Iā€™m not putting any stock in that rumor, simply because I feel like the last time there was a ā€œSony got exclusivity on this thing people thought was heading to the Switchā€ rumor it turned out to be a bust. Which may have been the Pixel Remasters? I forget exactly.

At some point, when you're consistently unhappy with ~10 million sales, you might want to rethink your resource expenditure.

Like I feel most of the problems people are diagnosing aren't really that much of a problem. The direction doesn't appeal to me personally, I'd prefer a more whimsical tone and a more stat-driven combat system (doesn't necessarily have to be turn-based). If I had a PS5 I might pick it up after a price drop though it's not a must-have. Still, I think people are sort of just using this as an opportunity to project that their preferred direction for the series would sell better which we can't truly know.

Even the issue of character action combat being niche doesn't quite hold up. Everything I've seen about the combat doesn't look anywhere near as complex as DMC nor does it seem to require as much precision. It's fairly grounded similar to FF7R, you don't seem to be juggling enemies around in the air through a complex chain of various actions.

It might not be TotK or sell 20 million, and it's not my cup of tea and might not be yours either, but it's going to be huge regardless. Obviously, this is a major release and there's an audience for the direction it's taking. To me, the fact that SE would still be unsatisfied with that just is more evidence of how unsustainable triple A development is if ~10 million sales provide an unsatisfying profit compared to the budget. Not that it's all their fault; a large chunk of the audience has unrealistic expectations just looking at all the "it looks like a PS4 game" talk regarding the new spiderman reveal.

Iā€™m not putting any stock in that rumor, simply because I feel like the last time there was a ā€œSony got exclusivity on this thing people thought was heading to the Switchā€ rumor it turned out to be a bust. Which may have been the Pixel Remasters? I forget exactly.

It was both the Chrono Cross remaster and Final Fantasy Origin.

the problem is that the recent FF games haven't reached 10 million in sales, they stopped updating the VII remake numbers after 5 million

The problem with FF16 marketing is that Zelda took everyoneā€™s breath.
And at the same time, you have Diablo 4, SF6, a new StarWars game and Iā€™m not even counting other high praised games.

Ff16 didnā€™t impress me beyond the great graphics, and I believe most people are the sameā€¦ but letā€™s wait and see how well received the game is. I do believe however that been an exclusive will hurt it more, because Diablo is going to be biiiiig.

I don't get the reasoning is the implication that SE is boosting FFVIIR part 2 ahead of time because they're afraid XVI won't sell as much ?
I guess SE should get ready for more disappointment considering FFVIIR sold less than XV and a direct sequel probably will do less too

Add me to the list of people that don't find FF16's setting, atmosphere or character designs very appealing. I want something more whimsical and adventury, ideally with party members.

At some point, when you're consistently unhappy with ~10 million sales, you might want to rethink your resource expenditure.

Like I feel most of the problems people are diagnosing aren't really that much of a problem. The direction doesn't appeal to me personally, I'd prefer a more whimsical tone and a more stat-driven combat system (doesn't necessarily have to be turn-based). If I had a PS5 I might pick it up after a price drop though it's not a must-have. Still, I think people are sort of just using this as an opportunity to project that their preferred direction for the series would sell better which we can't truly know.

Even the issue of character action combat being niche doesn't quite hold up. Everything I've seen about the combat doesn't look anywhere near as complex as DMC nor does it seem to require as much precision. It's fairly grounded similar to FF7R, you don't seem to be juggling enemies around in the air through a complex chain of various actions.

It might not be TotK or sell 20 million, and it's not my cup of tea and might not be yours either, but it's going to be huge regardless. Obviously, this is a major release and there's an audience for the direction it's taking. To me, the fact that SE would still be unsatisfied with that just is more evidence of how unsustainable triple A development is if ~10 million sales provide an unsatisfying profit compared to the budget. Not that it's all their fault; a large chunk of the audience has unrealistic expectations just looking at all the "it looks like a PS4 game" talk regarding the new spiderman reveal.
The thing is Iā€™m not even sure this will hit 10 million, at least as a PS5 exclusive. FF7Rā€™s last report was 5 million before it hit PC. You could argue the controversial choices with that stymied its legs, but even if this game is relatively well received, JRPGs not having big legs is pretty standard.

I donā€™t really have a horse in this race, Iā€™m a fair weather Final Fantasy fan, but I am not sure this is gonna break into the mainstream the way one might hope.

The thing is Iā€™m not even sure this will hit 10 million, at least as a PS5 exclusive. FF7Rā€™s last report was 5 million before it hit PC. You could argue the controversial choices with that stymied its legs, but even if this game is relatively well received, JRPGs not having big legs is pretty standard.

I donā€™t really have a horse in this race, Iā€™m a fair weather Final Fantasy fan, but I am not sure this is gonna break into the mainstream the way one might hope.
That's fair. I knew FFXV was around 10 million but didn't know FF7R was that much lower. I'm not really an FF fan myself, I probably like less than half the entries in the series, and didn't mean to come across as defensive it just seemed hard to believe this could be all that disappointing sales-wise and SE has a bit of a history of being dissatisfied with the sales of successful games. Reminded me of the situation with that Tomb Raider game from years ago that they were apparently disappointed with despite selling something like 8 million.

Canā€™t root for Team ā€œHere Are The Dragons, But OMG Black People Are Hardā€ šŸ™„šŸ˜. Imagine adopting that approach to anything, let alone game development in 2023, then crying that not enough people are impressed by your work to pre-order it. Could never be Me. Zero sympathies, tbqh.

I think Square-Enix needs to wake up and smell that it's not 2002 anymore.

An "event" level game (I assume SE wants it to be anyway) in this day and age launching only on the latest Playstation console that not everyone has just kills the whole "this is a big time release!" thing. Diablo IV, Street Fighter VI, Resident Evil 4 Remake, etc. etc. fit into that, but FF16 PS5 only ... nope.

You have to be a 1st party game with a ton of marketing behind your game to get away with this is, otherwise I think in today's day and age ... if you're not on PC and XBox at least also, I think the feeling among gamers is this is not a big time release.

For S-E's sake too, it would be really good for them if Switch 2 can run their engines reasonably well because that's another chunk of audience base they've locked themselves out of. Not surprised the Final Fantasy brand has been fading for a while and even FF7 Remake sales dropped off like a rock it looks like.

The best thing for the Final Fantasy brand would be FF7 Remake Part II/III and FF17 launching on PS5 + XBox S/X + PC + Switch 2, cut this exclusivity bull shit out. You're just limiting the brand's growth by doing that and making the releases seem like it's a small time thing.

Last edited:
Guys, the game is gonna sell fine. Sony already announced a bundle for it and we know what that means. It's gonna be the only way to buy a PS5 for the next three months, which will inflate the sales numbers for FFXVI much like it did with HFW and GOWR and Sony will tell Square that it's worth keeping exclusivity beside Sony artificially inflating the sales numbers with forced bundle purchases.

They were dissatisfied enough to cancel already announced DLC for XV
Thatā€™s a pretty different topic. We still got four distinct mini campaigns all with their own playable character and a multiplayer mode out of it (and an anime OVA) which is far more than most games plus a separate definitive edition (which I think you could also get as DLC?). I canā€™t really think of any game comparable. Hope one day we hear the story of how a second season of mostly what if story DLC was green lit, why it was announced early without going on sale, and when it was ultimately mostly canceled outside of the Ardyn DLC which saw the director leave.

Weirdly enough I wasn't hype for this at all, but the most recent trailer, comparisons to character action games and the fact there'll be a demo make me pretty interested! Just no reason for me to preorder before I play the demo to make sure it's for me.

Didn't the series peak sales-wise with VII though? There was a significant drop off in sales with VIII, IX didn't sell well due to
It did, but VIII wasnā€™t that far off from FFVII, especially considering it didnā€™t benefit from a PC release.
They crowed about how it shipped more copies quicker than anything before, but maybe a lot of those sat around?
Final Fantasy XV Tops 5 Million In Worldwide Shipment; Fastest-Selling Title From The Series
Yeah, they made back dev costs by channel-stuffing. Shipped figures to retailers arenā€™t sell-through to customers, but that doesnā€™t matter to SQE, they got their money.
Thatā€™s how a lot of bigger games operate. It got a lot of sales at higher prices upfront and then made steady sales at lower prices which not every game does as well. Someone more interested in sales than me could try to map average price to the sales milestones, but the main point here is a ton of people did pick the game up. If Square was happy with it, generally I donā€™t care beyond that.
Worldwide, you can still find ā€œDay One Editionā€ copies at retail in 2023, many of which started selling for peanuts SUPER-early compared to any other FF title. Japan was including a copy in every game store fukubukuro because they wanted to offload their massive excess of inventory (since they cannot return unsold copies there).

All I know is I got my copy of FFXV for $35 plus tax mere weeks after launch from somewhere (canā€™t quite remember which store, may have been Gamestop or Amazon). I remember that being a big deal at the time. I remember thinking it wasnā€™t healthy.

Since it was discussed, I had a chart that outlined FF sales in Japan based on data from Game Data Library:
FFPlatformRelease DateFW Sales+/-since FF7LTD Sales+/-since FF7
IFMC1987-12-18??--520,000--
IIFMC1988-12-17??--760,000--
IIIFMC1990-04-27??--1,400,000--
IVSFC1991-07-19??--1,440,000--
VSFC1992-12-06288,439--2,450,000--
VISFC1994-04-021,154,360--2,550,000--
VIIPS11997-01-312,034,879--3,937,899--
VIIIPS11999-02-112,504,044+23.06%+23.06%3,501,588-11.08%-11.08%
IXPS12000-07-071,954,421-21.95%-3.95%2,707,301-22.68%-31.25%
XPS22001-07-191,749,737-10.47%-14.01%3,019,033+11.51%-23.33%
XIIPS22006-03-161,840,397+5.18%-9.56%2,464,679-18.36%-37.41%
XIIIPS32009-12-171,516,532-17.60%-25.47%1,967,887-20.16%-50.03%
XVPS42016-11-29716,649-52.74%-64.78%1,042,951-47.00%-73.52%
XVIPS52023-06-22
IX and XII were the first declines, but that can be written off by them releasing in the midst of an impending new console generation (or after the new console already released), sucking up all the oxygen. We see XIII started strong but shows the largest decline in the series until the next game in the series.

And looking at the WW figures tells a very similar story. FFVIII did 8.15 million on PS1 alone. And any downward turn from IX was undone by X, which did 8 million on PS2 alone since the last time we got numbers on that In 2017. And FFXII did 6 mil WW in spite of releasing right before PS3 and after the 360, which you can see a large number of sales came from Japan. Despite release on more consoles WW, FFXIII only did 1mil more than XII. And weā€™ve already discussed the issues with XVā€™s 10mil figure.

If weā€˜re gonna talk numbers, best to actually HAVE them.
FFVIII definitely does have a PC release. Unless Iā€™m imagining the one on my shelf.
I said it didnā€™t benefit from it. It did not sell as well as FFVII did, since it lost the benefit of free advertising by being used as a 3Dfx GPU showcase like FFVII was.

This article really seems to have brought the negativity out of the woodwork on here and on era, itā€™s kinda sad.

Iā€™m at a chill level of hype for this. Being an FF fan to me means youā€™re used to change. Iā€™ve accepted that this is really different from past games, just likeā€¦ almost every other game in the series?

All I want is for this to just be a great fucking game on its own. I want it to do what it sets out to do well, donā€™t really care about comparisons to the rest of the series. The only thing I expect with being an FF game is that it excels in art and music, and so far so good barring some boring character design choices.

The team seems extremely confident that theyā€™re delivering a full, massive, complete and quality experience on day one, and Iā€™ll take them at their word and be excited. I havenā€™t played FFXIV, but Iā€™m also taking the countless other posters on here and eraā€™s word that essentially amounts to ā€œhey, this dev team is fucking awesome.ā€ Iā€™m really excited to just go on whatever ride they take me on.

This article really seems to have brought the negativity out of the woodwork on here and on era, itā€™s kinda sad.

Iā€™m at a chill level of hype for this. Being an FF fan to me means youā€™re used to change. Iā€™ve accepted that this is really different from past games, just likeā€¦ almost every other game in the series?

All I want is for this to just be a great fucking game on its own. I want it to do what it sets out to do well, donā€™t really care about comparisons to the rest of the series. The only thing I expect with being an FF game is that it excels in art and music, and so far so good barring some boring character design choices.

The team seems extremely confident that theyā€™re delivering a full, massive, complete and quality experience on day one, and Iā€™ll take them at their word and be excited. I havenā€™t played FFXIV, but Iā€™m also taking the countless other posters on here and eraā€™s word that essentially amounts to ā€œhey, this dev team is fucking awesome.ā€ Iā€™m really excited to just go on whatever ride they take me on.
This argument gets used a lot, but while it's true Final Fantasy used a new world and new mechanics with each numbered sequel, up through X it was always in the context of a turn-based RPG with a large cast set in a large-scale fantasy world with sci-fi elements. Job systems, materia, ATB etc. are interesting gameplay changes but it was still a game series that was always about managing a party, choosing your combat options from a menu, and exploring a story set in a unique pastiche fantasy world.

I don't think it's fair to say everyone who wants turn-based FF back just wants the same games again... at least for me, what I want is a game that further develops interesting ideas in the turn-based fantasy space, instead of chasing whatever AAA or Hollywood trends S-E thinks are cool now.

I think many would agree that RPGs are best on a handheld that lord knows that PlayStation Q thing is going to tank.
This is my first time seeing that rumour and Iā€™m just not gonna believe it. Square isnā€™t that stupid.

Actually they are.

This argument gets used a lot, but while it's true Final Fantasy used a new world and new mechanics with each numbered sequel, up through X it was always in the context of a turn-based RPG with a large cast set in a large-scale fantasy world with sci-fi elements. Job systems, materia, ATB etc. are interesting gameplay changes but it was still a game series that was always about managing a party, choosing your combat options from a menu, and exploring a story set in a unique pastiche fantasy world.

I don't think it's fair to say everyone who wants turn-based FF back just wants the same games again... at least for me, what I want is a game that further develops interesting ideas in the turn-based fantasy space, instead of chasing whatever AAA or Hollywood trends S-E thinks are cool now.
X came out 22 years ago though.

Iā€™ve only played a couple of FF games so lack of similarities to other FF games isnā€™t paramount to me. The game just doesnā€™t look super interesting - not bad, but nothing I would race out to play. I havenā€™t played 14 either so I have no frame of reference for how good this game could be in theory.

Being an FF fan to me means youā€™re used to change. Iā€™ve accepted that this is really different from past games, just likeā€¦ almost every other game in the series?
when 1 out of 10 people say that I would agree with you, but I have see people say the same thing across my known 3 languages. I think it actually might be something wrong.

I mean if a franchise has no consistency than can you blame people for feeling it's not really that franchise anymore?

They got the team behind some of the best Final Fantasy stories ever. Itā€™s going to be great.

When a thread like this gets more posts than any preview/gameplay/information relating to FFXVI, it tells you all you need to know about the forum.

When a thread like this gets more posts than any preview/gameplay/information relating to FFXVI, it tells you all you need to know about the forum.
It tells you that SE are struggling to explain what the appeal is of the new game, and a lot of people are perplexed by the direction the series has gone.

Try being a Halo fan: I enjoy pretty much every Halo game I've played, but I can't ignore that the online discourse about the series is largely how it's nowhere near as good as it used to be, and I certainly can understand why so many fans feel that way.

Back
Top Bottom