• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic The first official "Sonic The Hedgehog is a Terrible Franchise" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pullover

King of Figaro
Banned
Pronouns
He/Him
Sonic fans are so vocal that it's always hard to discuss with them about the fact that Sonic games suck hard, both the 2D and the 3D ones. This thread is dedicated to all of us that have good taste and understand that Sonic is one of the worst franchises ever. Feel free to share how much you hate those awful games in here =)

P.S.
This is a safe space for Sonic haters / people with good taste, "pro Sonic" posts will be considered ot ;)

I've never been able to get into 2D Sonic.

I did enjoy Sonic Adventure however. Sorry for the ot remark OP.

crwYhepeBgXpayl5U-EMMuVqYK9o7x53ShR9-mlYyj4.jpg

nah sonic has a tight fit

Never got into Sonic. Never understood the point of games that want you to go fast but punish you every time you do so.

That being said, I think Sonic is a great character.

Imagine creating a game around the "gotta go fast" motto and actively punishing the players for actually going fast 😂😂😂 Who allowed those people to design a videogame? 😂😂😂

retarded_sonic__by_nickl1995_d89n881-fullview.jpg

I like Sonic 1 a fair bit. Never got into 2. Like 3, but not the +Knuckles. Haven't really enjoyed many Sonic games since then, though two of the racing games are okay.

Sonic the Fighters is pretty good.

Has some decent cartoons and both of the movies are pretty good.

The 3D games are by and large an abomination.

I like Sonic 1 a fair bit. Never got into 2. Like 3, but not the +Knuckles. Haven't really enjoyed many Sonic games since then, though two of the racing games are okay.

Sonic the Fighters is pretty good.

Has some decent cartoons and both of the movies are pretty good.

The 3D games are by and large an abomination.
I will concede that All-Star Racing is an amazing game but, of course, they decided to ruin the series with Team Sonic Racing. I guess every rule has an exception, and S&SASR is the only good thing that came out of that abomination known as the Sonic franchise.

Love this. Finally a place where I can be with likeminded individuals. My kids love the Sonic movies and I HATE them. Just pure garbage. Thank you, OP.

dmc4-dante.gif

Sonic IDW going into volume 51 next month with 15 volumes of side stories waiting to be read
Sonic 2 movie will make 400 million, 81 million over the last movie
Sonic Dash at over 500 million downloads, still getting content
Sonic Origins coming out in less than two weeks
Two new Sonic series (Prime and Knuckles live action feat. Idris Elba)
A third Sonic movie confirmed in production (and a 4th one most probable)
New Tour for Sonic Symphony announced
30 years and counting of continued fan support in the form of games and other content

Hate as you may, Sonic will keep running along for decades to come

4UaP.gif

I respect your right to have a differing opinion

that said, this thread is a hate crime

you really got me though, I thought the other thread was bumped, OP backstabbed me, @Dardan Sandiego your reply is all that saved me lmao

I respect your right to have a differing opinion

that said, this thread is a hate crime

you really got me though, I thought the other thread was bumped, OP backstabbed me, @Dardan Sandiego your reply is all that saved me lmao
This is ot guys, feel free to post this garbage in the sonic franchise appreciation thread =)

dmc4-dante.gif

Sonic IDW going into volume 51 next month with 15 volumes of side stories waiting to be read
Sonic 2 movie will make 400 million, 81 million over the last movie
Sonic Dash at over 500 million downloads, still getting content
Sonic Origins coming out in less than two weeks
Two new Sonic series (Prime and Knuckles live action feat. Idris Elba)
A third Sonic movie confirmed in production (and a 4th one most probable)
New Tour for Sonic Symphony announced
30 years and counting of continued fan support in the form of games and other content

Hate as you may, Sonic will keep running along for decades to come

4UaP.gif
this is ot but, anyway, success among the public =/ quality
for now on, please refrain to post this garbage in this topic, this is a safe space for Sonic haters / people with good taste =)

So I want to love Sonic. I feel like someone else said - the games want me to go fast and punish me for going fast. They're called platformers, but they don't feel like platformers to me, the jumping has always felt bad, and the way that inclines in the 2D games punish you for jumping on them was a thing I never quite got the physics of, and found them really frustrating.

I think the later games have built so much on top of these foundations that they're weirdly inaccessible to newbs, despite being very "railsy, play themselves" feeling.

But I'm gonna get roasted and say that I think Sonic is a great franchise. He some how managed to emerge from the 'tude era of mascot platformers, personality intact, and emerge from the fall of Sega without becoming a clone of some other game. Mario has defined the platformer, but Sonic continues to exist, doing something different, as the Loyal Opposition, and that's good for fans and for the industry.

Mario is "Bowser of the week vs everyman". Sonic is "superhero soap opera"
Mario is "jump", Sonic is "run".
Mario is "build momentum", Sonic is "dodge".
Mario is your avatar in the game, and when Mario jumps you make him jump.
Sonic is your ally in the game, he goes fast on his own, you are his eye in the sky, telling him the safe path.

This is a mindset change I never quite mastered when playing the games, and the game's own inability to know when to cater to Sonic fans and when to bring new fans in leaves some muddled design - that's part of why he's always been so contentious. But watching my partner play (she loves Sonic), has sorta taught me how to enjoy it, and every now and then it will click and I'll get it.

Also, even the bad music in Sonic games slaps

@oldpuck get the fuck out of here with this apologetic bullshit 😂 Sonic is bad, period. You don't have to rationalize your thoughts just because some weirdos on the internet keep saying that it's a good game, it simply isn't.

Imagine creating a game around the "gotta go fast" motto and actively punishing the players for actually going fast 😂😂😂 Who allowed those people to design a videogame? 😂😂😂

retarded_sonic__by_nickl1995_d89n881-fullview.jpg
imagine a video game about being a plumber and the pipes are unreasonably large for one man to fix

there's also no game built around gotta go fast, so we're at an impasse

there is a 10 year old cartoon that mentioned it once, though
no there are plenty, all the sonic games are built around this concept, yet they fail to create good level design/gameplay to complement this "idea". Anyway, stop with the ot, otherwise I'll have to report your posts =) In this thread we can post only negative opinions about Sonic.

no there are plenty, all the sonic games are built around this concept, yet they fail to create good level design/gameplay around it. Anyway, stop with the ot, otherwise I'll have to report your posts =) In this thread we can post only negative opinions about Sonic.
i mean you're factually wrong so your premise is wrong. so i'm stickin' around, sorry

sonic games are just platformers. with momentum. speed is a product of momentum

the goal is to get to the end of the stage, that's it. there is no impetus on go fast outside of the player. the games that do put speed front and center give you abilities like the boost that largely negate the threat posed by enemies.

i mean you're factually wrong so your premise is wrong. so i'm stickin' around, sorry

sonic games are just platformers. with momentum. speed is a product of momentum

the goal is to get to the end of the stage, that's it. there is no impetus on go fast outside of the player. the games that do put speed front and center give you abilities like the boost that largely negate the threat posed by enemies.
Nope I'm right, all Sonic games are built around the idea that you gotta go fast and I've reported your post =)

Hey folks, apologies this got the air time that it did. Needless to say, we don't support or encourage this kind of behaviour. There's plenty of room for legitimate fun on Fami but this isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom