• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The Failproof Platforming of Wario Land 3

Weiss

Unwise
Pronouns
He/They
This week I completed a sequential playthrough of the four Game Boy Wario Land titles (affectionately dubbed the Warathon), and came away with an important discovery: Wario Land 3 is so dang good, y'all.

Warioland3.jpg

I mean, I knew that already and so did you, but y'know. Can't hurt to remind myself.

The more important discovery is that, by playing its predecessors in quick order before diving back into Wario Land 3, I finally figured out why this game works so well; Wario Land 3 is built almost entirely out of organic challenge, sending a character who cannot die through levels with no ticking clock where the only thing preventing him from reaching his goal is the player themself.

To display a more typical platformer, let's go with Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

1956097.jpg

If you're at all familiar with the genre, you probably have an idea of what's up here. You've got a timer, you've got lives, and you've got a health system. The platforms on either side of Tails have the capacity to dump him into the water, giving you only so much time to resurface before drowning if not dumping you into a bottomless pit. Die in any of the ways you can even just in this one screenshot, you lose a life and are returned to your last checkpoint.

Wario Land 3 has none of this. Let me tell you why it's great.

Introduced in Wario Land 2 were the series' most defining gimmicks: Wario is entirely immortal, and any interaction with an enemy will either push Wario back or cause a transformation used to progress. Wario will lose a few coins every time he's attacked by an enemy with a sharp object, but there is otherwise no consequence to getting bopped. In addition to these, and what tends to be commented upon less in my experience, was an emphasis on exploration. Wario Land 1 had some of this for its optional treasures, but Wario Land 2 exists in two states as almost two separate games: do you want to jump and shoulder bash to all the endings? Here's 50(!) linear levels entirely at your disposal. Go nuts, because there's nothing that can do much more than slow you down. But if you really want to knuckle down and see all that Wario Land 2 has to offer you'll smash every wall for every stash of coins you can nab on your way to finding the secret treasure in each level, using that big hoard of coins you've collected to pay for rounds of two separate minigames that each reward you with another item that, when fully collected across the game's five branching story paths, will unlock the game's ultimate level.

And while Wario's immortality and powers of shapeshifting through slapstick violence remain in effect, it's really the third thing that matters most to Wario Land 3. Gone is the entirely start-to-finish platforming that defined the rest of the series looking backwards and ahead, with 25 explorative Metroidvana-lite levels that gradually expand through the adventure. Finding all the knick-knacks and doodads is no longer in the realm of 100% completion, it's the main thrust of the game where linear platforming challenges are meted out in larger hub maps that shift and adapt over time, both through the treasures you collect and in upgrading Wario's abilities.

wario%20swim.gif

(Hey wait, couldn't you swim in Wario Land 2?)

A game, something that is meant to be at least nominally challenging, starring a character who cannot die sounds like a losing prospect. The trick is that instead of impeding your progress through lives, health, and timers, Wario Land 3 costs you your own time. Running into an open flame won't shrink Wario or cost him his rings, he'll launch into an uncontrollable dash that either begins its own challenge of finding walls that are broken down through Wario's burning form or has to be carefully maneuvered so you don't helplessly run back the way you came. Descending into a volcano with floating jellyfish whose stingers inflate Wario will only hinder your progress for as long as it takes you to successfully bop them in the head with the immediately available and endlessly respawning barrels you'll then use to break a wall and progress further downward. Even boss battles get in on this philosophy, acting as lightning-fast puzzle/platform challenges where one hit will knock you out of their arena until you learn how to quickly stomp them and move forward.

Wario's been at the microgame thing long before WarioWare; every screen in Wario Land 3 is a tiny challenge that exists as part of a greater whole, setting you up against obstacles that are all cleanly, visually defined as you approach them. The frozen bear enemy will always try to freeze you on sight, birds will always charge at you, and the most they can do is knock you back to the beginning of the latest slice of platforming. Any fan of 2D platformers will tell you the most annoying part of these games is missing a jump because of a charging enemy, but let me put it like this: being knocked down and having to redo some tricky playforming takes way, way less time without a death jingle, a prompt showing your remaining lives, and finally a return to your latest checkpoint before you can actually go back and fail in the exact way.

tumblr_new3xjuJfm1rrftcdo1_500.gif

(Besides this guy, anyway. It's a special final boss privilege)

Wario Land 3 is, fundamentally, a game where every piece of progress you earn is hard-saved. You cannot fail in Wario Land 3, you can barely even be stopped, and all of this is displayed in one seamless flow of gameplay with zero UI, which always has a special effect on me. One of the most powerful immersive factors in a game is when it's designed with such clear visual feedback where no UI is needed, like Donkey Kong Country using your two Kongs as an extra hit, or classic Resident Evil only letting you know you're low on health when you begin to feebly limp away from ravenous zombies.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, Wario Land 3 does implement two brands of gatekeeping unrelated to the above. First is the Day/Night cycle which subtly alters certain levels depending on the time of day. It's simply rectified (leave the stage and reenter) but pops up so infrequently I question why it was even included. The second level of the game is first introduced at nighttime and you can only progress during the day, which does serve the purpose of teaching the player that you can only do certain things at certain times, but it's teaching me to avoid something that maybe shouldn't have been there to begin with.

Second is the golf game, which is the only thing you're collecting money for and it increases in cost as the game continues. If you're out of money then you're out of luck too, and it sticks out as the only part of the game that is insurmountable in the immediate moment. It's bad design, to be sure, but only in that the rest of the game nails it so perfectly and bashing this little fella into a hole never stopped being funny to me.

CGB-AW8A-179.jpg

Last edited:
My second favorite platformer of all time after Yoshi's Island. The best part of it, it has more secrets than both predecessor and successor, you'll find yourself trying to knock out every wall you find.

They brought the mortality in the 4th game and the game's difficulty level skyrocketed. Not only the bosses were more difficult than any 2D Mario or Mega Man title but beating them wasn't the end of the level, you had to go back start of the level in 2 minutes. 3 might be the best WL game for me but 4 is close behind.

I really believe WL3 is one of Nintendo’s all time best 2D platformers (and considering how many classic games they released in their genre that’s really saying something). It gets compared a lot to Metroid and there’s definitely a lineage there but it reminds me the most of Super Mario 64 with how you constantly revisit the levels and find new items in them. It’s my vote for the best WL even if the golf game sucks.

I really believe WL3 is one of Nintendo’s all time best 2D platformers (and considering how many classic games they released in their genre that’s really saying something). It gets compared a lot to Metroid and there’s definitely a lineage there but it reminds me the most of Super Mario 64 with how you constantly revisit the levels and find new items in them. It’s my vote for the best WL even if the golf game sucks.
Super Mario 64 in 2D is such a perfect way to put it, honestly.

I played through Wario Land 1 through 4 for the first time a couple years ago, and since then I've felt that Wario Land is actually probably the strongest platformer series Nintendo's made, and Wario Land 3 is probably the best of that series (at least, imo).

It rules and more people should play it. I was actually kinda disappointed it didn't really pop off when it was part of that initial GB NSO lineup, because it feels like the kind of game that could really find an audience nowadays.

I've beaten Wario Land 3 twice 100% in separate decades. It was one of the best games I've played on the gameboy for sure. I played WL4 but it didn't click for me. I still have my original cart of the game.

I think I wrote it once in another thread, but what makes me sad about Wario Land 3 is that no other game has tried to emulate it. I guess the same could be said about Wario Land 2.

In a way that's cool, because those games were super original back then and they remain absolutely unique more than twenty years later. But, boy, I do wish I could play something like them.

It's very neat and unlike any other game ever made. It's also one of the most slow and tedious platformers ever made which explains why it's never been attempted again.

The part where it costs you time is exactly why I find it infuriating, and I could not have had a more opposite impression of it. It ends up being far more punishing than a traditional health system ever would be, you get taken out of these boss fights in one hit with zero mercy and unlike every Nintendo game ever it's the most unnecessarily convoluted bullshit to make your way back into the arena, like this is fucking Dark Souls or something. Actually, give me Hollow Knight over this, if I'm going to play a platformer that's being deliberately obnoxious I'd at least like to be recognized as a sweaty gamer for it. God, that boss with the hammer in the volcano level, where you have to do this whole rolling sequence to get back into the arena, which you basically have to memorize to get through because it's high speed movement with those huge sprites on a Game Boy screen? Just shoot me.

The metroidvania aspect of it is also so stupid. They just took the basic platformer moveset from two button Game Boy title Wario Land II and doled it out piecemeal, so you start hilariously gimped and gain the ability to like, break blocks or hold down the button to jump higher. Or more commonly you just get something useless or a key to a level or a piece of a key to a level. The impact this approach has on the level design is also really lame because there's no room for you to explore every nook and cranny for treasure anymore, now there's just paths to five different exits basically, paths which will only open once you have gotten the requisite item from somewhere else. The different paths take up all the space in the level, so the satisfying parts of II where you would break into a hidden room filled with coins are also totally gone now, treasure hunting takes such a backseat, you poke around but there's nothing to find compared to II or 4.

I feel like the Land series beginning with 6 Golden Coins is consistently characterized by being "different" at the expense of actually functioning. The whole series walked (mostly stumbled) so Wario Land 4 could run.

Played it for the first time this year and, while I enjoyed it, I found that some of the time wasting during particular sequences was less preferable than an actual lives system. It can be just as, if not more, punishing than a regular platformer due to how it handles it fail states.

Delighted this thread exists. It was a childhood favourite of mine and replaying it on Switch this year for the first time in 20 years was an absolute blast. It's a criminally under-rated game and deserves to be remembered as one of the absolute pinnacles of the entire GameBoy library. Aspects of its design have obviously aged, but given its age and the technology available, I think it's superb.

A new Wario Land title could learn a lot from it by streamlining and improving some of the more archaic and unforgiving elements, I think, and could also make the world map/Metroidvania/day-night cycle mash up work more cohesively.

The part where it costs you time is exactly why I find it infuriating, and I could not have had a more opposite impression of it. It ends up being far more punishing than a traditional health system ever would be, you get taken out of these boss fights in one hit with zero mercy and unlike every Nintendo game ever it's the most unnecessarily convoluted bullshit to make your way back into the arena, like this is fucking Dark Souls or something. Actually, give me Hollow Knight over this, if I'm going to play a platformer that's being deliberately obnoxious I'd at least like to be recognized as a sweaty gamer for it. God, that boss with the hammer in the volcano level, where you have to do this whole rolling sequence to get back into the arena, which you basically have to memorize to get through because it's high speed movement with those huge sprites on a Game Boy screen? Just shoot me.

The metroidvania aspect of it is also so stupid. They just took the basic platformer moveset from two button Game Boy title Wario Land II and doled it out piecemeal, so you start hilariously gimped and gain the ability to like, break blocks or hold down the button to jump higher. Or more commonly you just get something useless or a key to a level or a piece of a key to a level. The impact this approach has on the level design is also really lame because there's no room for you to explore every nook and cranny for treasure anymore, now there's just paths to five different exits basically, paths which will only open once you have gotten the requisite item from somewhere else. The different paths take up all the space in the level, so the satisfying parts of II where you would break into a hidden room filled with coins are also totally gone now, treasure hunting takes such a backseat, you poke around but there's nothing to find compared to II or 4.

I feel like the Land series beginning with 6 Golden Coins is consistently characterized by being "different" at the expense of actually functioning. The whole series walked (mostly stumbled) so Wario Land 4 could run.
Part of what inspired this thread was the annoyance in my WL2 playthrough, where I reached the goal without finding the treasure. 2's levels are linear obstacle courses and some of them get pretty complex, so at that point my only recourse was to scout around for every potential opening that would lead me to the treasure room.

Calling this "artificial" sounds way more negative than I want it to, but what I'm trying to convey is that my forward momentum came to a halt for some semi-optional treasure hunting, and 2's levels (and the levels of most linear games with collectibles) just aren't built for backtracking. Did I get 48/50 treasures and map pieces? Too bad, no Really Final Chapter for you.

2 and 3 both cost me time, the difference is that 3 expects me to bumble around a level by design, while my bumbling around in 2 was for the purpose of stuff I wanted less the more time I spent in the same levels looking for the treasure rooms. WL4 in particular makes you do the levels in a single run with mandatory, missable collectibles, some of which only appear when you activate the timer. You can carefully scope a level out for all four gems and the key frog ghost thing, but take enough damage and all of that has to be redone.

Mod apk getmodnow a platform that provides remarkable free game apps to the gaming community. With constant growth, it has become the top destination for those who are looking for exciting gaming experiences without paying any fees.
It was frustrating how much time it took, and my impressions were very different. One-hit defeats in boss fights made me feel more punishing than a classic healing system. The return to the arena seems unnecessarily complicated, unlike other Nintendo games. That volcanic level with the hammer boss is a nightmare, especially the rolling sequence. The metroidvania aspect also feels out of place. Acquiring partial abilities from Wario Land II's move set negatively impacts level design. The treasure hunt is back. The uniqueness of the Land series often sacrifices functionality. Wario Land 4 shines between them.

Been playing WL3 in short bursts on NSO and it really is exceptional! So much creativity packed into such a small game! It's almost as if the developers went out of their way to break every Mario convention and amazingly, the result is a triumph of game design!
The game is a showcase of Nintendo's genius.

Part of what inspired this thread was the annoyance in my WL2 playthrough, where I reached the goal without finding the treasure. 2's levels are linear obstacle courses and some of them get pretty complex, so at that point my only recourse was to scout around for every potential opening that would lead me to the treasure room.

Calling this "artificial" sounds way more negative than I want it to, but what I'm trying to convey is that my forward momentum came to a halt for some semi-optional treasure hunting, and 2's levels (and the levels of most linear games with collectibles) just aren't built for backtracking. Did I get 48/50 treasures and map pieces? Too bad, no Really Final Chapter for you.

2 and 3 both cost me time, the difference is that 3 expects me to bumble around a level by design, while my bumbling around in 2 was for the purpose of stuff I wanted less the more time I spent in the same levels looking for the treasure rooms. WL4 in particular makes you do the levels in a single run with mandatory, missable collectibles, some of which only appear when you activate the timer. You can carefully scope a level out for all four gems and the key frog ghost thing, but take enough damage and all of that has to be redone.
Oh, I never even got to the point of trying to find the treasure in every level of Land 2. It was great going around collecting coins, but every collectible you want means having to play the damn minigames again. You already have to find the treasure room or the exit, you already need the coins for it, that's still not enough? I liked Land 2 well enough, it's easily my favorite of R&D's GB Lands, but I didn't like it enough to seriously go through with that.

I don't know what their obsession with making you play their lame minigames was. It's kind of funny they went and turned this series into a minigame collection to great success, because their old ones were not good. At least the golf minigame got us that one great Pizza Tower level 20 years later.

I don't disagree that having to do a whole level over due to missing one thing is annoying though. I replayed Land 4 a few months ago, and the one or two times it happened were very demoralizing. There are ways to make it better or worse (shout out to Yoshi's Island and having to get everything in one go while finishing with max health), and as much as I like having all that stuff to find in Land 4's levels, there's probably something to be said for not forcing a particular playstyle that hard or requiring collectibles just to progress in an otherwise linear platformer.

It was weird to me when 3D Land/World did it and it still feels wrong now whenever I see another game implement the same system, especially because unlike with Wario Land 4 it's so clearly side content you're being made to do X amount of. Didn't people really hate it back when Sonic Unleashed did that or something? Why's it spreading? I wouldn't bat an eye now if Super Mario Bros. Wonder had a bunch of wonder seed gates on the map stopping you from progressing unless you have enough.

I was thinking make a Wario Land thread these days. I played WL3 in Switch earlier this year, liked a lot, but WL4 remains my favorite in the series. Maybe because of rewind/save states I liked more. The immortal thing work in the levels, but not work well in bosses. Waiting for rest of Wario Land games, played only WL3 and 4.

The game punishing you with time was probably my least favorite aspect about it. Lives are an antiquated system, but I'd much rather die outright than have Wario catch on fire, run off a ledge, force me to wait out the animation, and then have to retread a ton of lost ground anyway. Especially since it's all a one hit system, making boss fights in particular a chore.

Add in some other bizarre stuff like the pointless day/night system, the golf minigame, lack of clarity as to what certain treasures do, the incredibly lackluster OST (might be an unpopular opinion), and just the presentation in general, and I ended up a bit disappointed compared to the hype surrounding it otherwise. It's a good game, one of the better Game Boy games for sure, but it isn't anywhere close to my top echelon of platformers.

the incredibly lackluster OST (might be an unpopular opinion)
I thought all the Game Boy Mario/Wario Lands besides the first one had music that ranged from not very good to "actively drills into your brain", and I'm not sure how unpopular that is either. I like Star Maze, but the rest of 6 Golden Coins in particular is maddening.

Something that strikes me as distinct about Wario Land 3 is how it's the only game where there are no bad endings at all (not counting Game Over because it's not finishing the game). In most Wario Land games, the ending Wario gets is depending on how much money he got by the end. So like in the first Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land, if you have little to no money, Wario gets a bird house and he's visibly disappointed. And in Wario Land II, it's implied that Wario had to face an implacable enemy for as long as he has the enemy's treasure. And not to mention how many later Wario games are not all that happy for Wario, so like in Master of Disguise where all the treasure that he earned are lost because he can't bring them back with him.

By contrast, Wario Land 3 has no strings attached to the treasures Wario get in this game at all. Even getting less than 100% or exactly that leads to the same ending.

Thank you for reading.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Wario Land has always been part of my childhood and I really miss the series. I can't understand why Nintendo isn't making new ones, and only sticking to Wario Ware, since Wario is much more than that!

In the last years there have been a couple of games which seem to be taking inspiration from them (Pizza Tower, Anton Blast, to name a few) but they clearly borrow ideas from WL4, which is definitely a good start, but I have always prefered the platforming and exploration of WL3, which I don't see being referenced.

Despite my woes, I refuse to lose hope. I think there will be a Wario Land title someday. Meanwhile, I will continue to check similar games to quench that thirst.

Last month I discovered a game which reminded me of WL3 specifically: Enraged Red Ogre. The trailer shows that in this platformer you unearth artifacts that help you unravel the paths on the map. And the protagonist is also a brute which fixes all his problems with pure strength 😁

It seems like the game is going to come out this fall and I will definitely keep a close eye on it. We need more games like classic Wario Land!

It's why I'm dying for Wario Land 5 to be a Metroidvania, apparently, much like every Nintendo fan on the planet, given that Wario Land 5 immediately starting trending on twitter once some (eventually fruitless) rumours came to the fore.

Wario Land 3 and 4 are creative masterpieces, second only to SMW and Yoshi's Island.

Not my favorite in the series, but Wario Land 3 really is a special game. Would love if we had gotten the Link's Awakening remake art style for a remake of this instead.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Wario Land has always been part of my childhood and I really miss the series. I can't understand why Nintendo isn't making new ones, and only sticking to Wario Ware, since Wario is much more than that!

In the last years there have been a couple of games which seem to be taking inspiration from them (Pizza Tower, Anton Blast, to name a few) but they clearly borrow ideas from WL4, which is definitely a good start, but I have always prefered the platforming and exploration of WL3, which I don't see being referenced.

Despite my woes, I refuse to lose hope. I think there will be a Wario Land title someday. Meanwhile, I will continue to check similar games to quench that thirst.

Last month I discovered a game which reminded me of WL3 specifically: Enraged Red Ogre. The trailer shows that in this platformer you unearth artifacts that help you unravel the paths on the map. And the protagonist is also a brute which fixes all his problems with pure strength 😁

It seems like the game is going to come out this fall and I will definitely keep a close eye on it. We need more games like classic Wario Land!

I'm looking forward for Antonblast.

he incredibly lackluster OST (might be an unpopular opinion)
I thought all the Game Boy Mario/Wario Lands besides the first one had music that ranged from not very good to "actively drills into your brain", and I'm not sure how unpopular that is either. I like Star Maze, but the rest of 6 Golden Coins in particular is maddening.
Sure hope I ain't reading hate for the WL3 credits theme, which is up there with the greats when it comes to Nintendo credit melodies.

Back
Top Bottom