• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour The CMA indicates that an unknown Nintendo device exists

TheSpearGuy

transcended to the gods

Page 9

Nintendo Switch Online has been excluded from our shares as Nintendo's cloud gaming service is very limited. Nintendo's cloud gaming service is only available on the Nintendo Switch device and [REDACTED].
1 Nintendo Switch Online gives gamers access to online play and cloud saving amongst other features.
2 We therefore see Nintendo Switch Online as predominately an online multiplayer service rather than a cloud gaming service.

Oh ho ho ho that is an eagle-eyed catch. That said this isn’t particularly surprising, except maybe for the fact that if CMA is already aware of this hypothetical Nintendo device, then how come they think Call of Duty can’t be made for it?

I love how you've got CMA as if we should know what that is :LOL:

Very very interesting. NSO is not available on another device, even if it's planned to be.

Edit - the footnote for the sentence about the devices says "response to the CMA’s RFI". So I guess the CMA asked Nintendo about availability of NSO, in mid 2022, and were given some information with the name of a device that was then redacted.

Oh ho ho ho that is an eagle-eyed catch. That said this isn’t particularly surprising, except maybe for the fact that if CMA is already aware of this hypothetical Nintendo device, then how come they think Call of Duty can’t be made for it?
Nintendo only has plinky plonky kiddy games, is why!

if it didn't exist yet then it wouldn't come out until 2026. this just indicates something in two years

9f2.jpg

I mean, yeah? Does anyone think Nintendo doesn't have any new hardware planned 6 years into the Switch's life?

I mean, yeah? Does anyone think Nintendo doesn't have any new hardware planned 6 years into the Switch's life?
The fact Nintendo mentioned it as an NSO platform in response to a request for info though... suggests it could be fairly close to launch

The fact Nintendo mentioned it as an NSO platform in response to a request for info though... suggests it could be fairly close to launch
The redacted could also just be a codename like "project Drake" or something like "new unnamed Nintendo hardware device set for release in 202X". That's the fact part about a redacted which with the scissors image, we don't know how long that redacted segment was or what it said.

The redacted could also just be a codename like "project Drake" or something like "new unnamed Nintendo hardware device set for release in 202X". That's the fact part about a redacted which with the scissors image, we don't know how long that redacted segment was or what it said.

Maybe I’m reaching, but I’d argue Nintendo wouldn’t feel obliged to mention it if they didn’t consider it a completed device somewhat close to market. Like they wouldn’t need to divulge info about some codenamed project. Just speculating of course

Maybe I’m reaching, but I’d argue Nintendo wouldn’t feel obliged to mention it if they didn’t consider it a completed device somewhat close to market. Like they wouldn’t need to divulge info about some codenamed project. Just speculating of course
We've known Nintendo is planning to bring NSO forward for years now, this CMA report is nothing new on that front. It doesn't require the device to be releasing within the next 6-12 months for Nintendo to have been able to make that claim to the CMA's when asked about it. Again you're making a huge assumption that the redacted is a definitive name for the next console and not just a code name or "tentative name" disclaimer. We've seen people reaching for the past 9 months that Switch 2 HAS to be launching with TotK for far more credible reasons then a redacted name on a CMA document.

Nintendo Switch and [REDACTED]

Nintendo Switch and the Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Limited Edition Nintendo Switch OLED

Nintendo Switch Online has been excluded from our shares as Nintendo's cloud gaming service is very limited. Nintendo's cloud gaming service is only available on the Nintendo Switch device and dosen‘t even include any Gamcube games. My step-niece is very disappointed.

I have always expected everything to carry over, including NSO. Now that I think about it, if they keep the name Nintendo Switch Online, their next system is definitely called Switch-something, right? 🤔

Only information that brings is that Switch 2 will have the same NSO subscription as Switch. Nintendo already talked about "hardware coming in 20XX" but not in an "announcement" thing like NX was, and NC still was mentioned 2 years before it came out.

The thing about the Microsoft acquisition is some serious issue that has legal implications, Nintendo knows that so they're just giving as much information as they can, that NSO is a service that only works in their own machines, which again isn't anything hard to imagine.

Quoting Lic from the other thread.

Lots of different things could be hidden in that redaction. For example: "Nintendo's cloud gaming service is only available on the Nintendo Switch device and is currently estimated to have around 40 million subscribers."

In fact, I consider an unannounced Nintendo platform to be one of the less plausible things inside that particular redaction. For the purposes of the argument being made here, regarding the scope and proliferation of NSO, only announced and available platforms are even relevant.
This is the sort of confirmation bias that gives hardware speculation a bad rep.

Considering this is a quote from the article I doubt it
Nintendo does not currently offer CoD, and we have seen no evidence to suggest that it’s console would be technically capable of doing so with a similar quality of gameplay as Xbox or PlayStation in the near future.
It has already been answered but I want people to see how dumb this argument is the CMA is putting forth.

Nintendo's cloud gaming service is only available on the Nintendo Switch device
This is a true statement. Even if Nintendo has palettes of next-gen systems ready to go, NSO is not currently available for them. The NSO service does not provide any benefit for anyone who would possess this system, and no one who possesses the system has used it to subscribe to NSO. Describing NSO as "available" on next-gen hardware is incorrect in any meaningful sense of the word.

We don't know what clause follows "and," but the sentence isn't "Nintendo's cloud gaming service is only available on the Nintendo Switch device and Nintendo Switch 2 device" because that statement would be false.

Last edited:
Didn't Eiyuden Chronicle already confirm this

The whole thing with Eiyuden Chronicle was that it would only be coming to Switch if there wasn't a newer system to put it on. How its confirmation for Switch got interpreted as 'good news for Switch Pro' is something I still don't understand.

All it means is Nintendo told the CMA that they have intent to bring NSO to a successor/new hardware. It doesn't have to mean anything more than that basic bit.

All it means is Nintendo told the CMA that they have intent to bring NSO to a successor/new hardware. It doesn't have to mean anything more than that basic bit.
The redacted bit could be any sensitive info that is not publicly available though. For instance it MAY say something like “ and there are no plans to bring it to any other consoles.” That too is a sensitive info Nintendo would want them to redact.

Or it could even be Nintendo revealing their monthly active user base.

That said, I think we all agree that NSO is very likely on the next system. I just don’t believe this redacted text has anything to do with.

I mean it's 2023. Switch 2 should definitely be past the prototype phase and while still be 2 years away.
I really hope the thing releases soon aka next year, hopefully March. Cuz a 2025 launch would make the current Switch 8 years old and that would be crazy af.

The redacted bit could be any sensitive info that is not publicly available though. For instance it MAY say something like “ and there are no plans to bring it to any other consoles.” That too is a sensitive info Nintendo would want them to redact.

Or it could even be Nintendo revealing their monthly active user base.

That said, I think we all agree that NSO is very likely on the next system. I just don’t believe this redacted text has anything to do with.
Whatever it is, it is something Nintendo gave to the CMA willingly. They told the information to the CMA to be used in this hearing at their own volition. It's not a smoking gun or anything for the public to take or interpret as something meaningful. It's basic in nature.

Whatever it is, it is something Nintendo gave to the CMA willingly. They told the information to the CMA to be used in this hearing at their own volition. It's not a smoking gun or anything for the public to take or interpret as something meaningful. It's basic in nature.
is it really at their own volition if its a court hearing where they maybe have to outline their future plans? But I agree, its probably nothing to really interpret much

Yep agreed

is it really at their own volition if its a court hearing where they maybe have to outline their future plans? But I agree, its probably nothing to really interpret much
Nintendo chose to contribute/participate in the hearing, to some degree. To do so, they must be forthcoming with select information.

Back
Top Bottom