• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Steam the classic Saturn shmup "Radiant Silvergun" is heading to PC on August 18th

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

notable for being the precursor to the far better known Ikaruga, it was previously Japan-only back when it first launched in Arcades and on the SEGA Saturn.
a worldwide 360 port was eventually made in 2012 after the success of the Ikaruga port on that platform, and it's stayed readily availble since then. (both games are backwards compatible on the Xbox One/Series)

the description seems to suggest there's nothing newly added in this version, but it at least has all of the content from the 360 port. (including a game mode which adds in mechanics from Ikaruga.)

also it's important to note that you need a controller to play it, though you likely already have one on-hand.

This game is also available on Switch. It was delisted briefly... Not sure what was up with that.

one of my favorite games ever for reasons I can't really put into words—I vastly prefer it to Ikaruga even though I'm horrible at both of them and can respect the cleanness of Ikaruga's design. it's just got a perfect coherence of visuals, music, mechanics, on-screen warning messages, unusual story (in the post-arcade versions), etc. that makes it unlike anything else and weirdly emotionally resonant for me. there are dozens of STGs I think are way "better" and more fun (I rarely enjoy shmups that are this memorization-heavy and rigid) but radiant silvergun is just its own thing in my mind.
get it on switch!! it's a good port

oh and I don't even need to mention this since everyone already knows and agrees but "Radiant Silvergun" is of course the best video game title of all time

Radiant Silvergun is already out on Switch. It could be just distribution issues, but I'm glad it's getting rereleased on Steam as well.

Back
Top Bottom