• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Steam The classic mod "Portal: Prelude" has received a free Valve-approved remaster using RTX Remix

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

continuing off Nvidia's recent work adding Ray Tracing to the original Portal, this remaster includes their new RTX IO tech for GPU decompression. (the same tech getting implemented into the upcoming PC release of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, in fact.)
Rapid loading and smooth navigation through endless open worlds has long been a goal of gamers and developers alike. Even with the incredible performance of NVMe SSDs, this goal has remained out of reach. Modern game engines have exceeded the capability of traditional storage APIs; a new generation of Input/Output (IO) architecture is needed.

Enter NVIDIA RTX IO, enabling fast GPU-based loading and game asset decompression, massively accelerating IO performance compared to hard drives and traditional storage APIs. NVIDIA RTX IO leverages GPU decompression for smaller data packages, enabling faster texture load times and lower CPU utilization, and allows developers to create a new generation of games with massive highly detailed worlds.

notably, this also isn't the first time Valve has implemented a fanmade Portal mod into their official projects, the standalone digital release of Portal on Xbox 360 (as well as the Switch "Companion Collection") feature bonus maps taken from "The Flash Version MapPack" released in 2008.

Could you imagine if most other devs were as cool with fan content/implementation as Valve is? Aaah, a man can dream.

This made me remember I actually own an RTX capable PC now and I haven't actually tried anything that uses ray tracing yet 🤔

Back
Top Bottom