• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware the c64 version of elite has received an unofficial patch to fix the flickering graphical issues, 37 years later.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

the github repository.
there's a lengthy technical explanation on how it works on there, but the short version is that that the game originally processed the wireframe graphics by manually redrawing every moving object on each frame. while later ports on the bbc master and apple ii fixed this issue by instead gradually redrawing things line by line.
this patch essentially backports the new drawing code into the older version.

if you're interested in acquiring a similar patch for the even older bbc micro version, see here.
the author also has a ton of highly detailed articles going into other aspects of the game's source code, definitely worth checking out if you're into early game development.

Oh, this is super cool. I grew up with stuff like the C64, the BBC and the Speccy, so I always love to see to see these kinds of passion projects. I doubt I would really understand the technical stuff beyond the surface level though, lol.

Back
Back
Top Bottom