• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

RTTP The bittersweet melancholy of Super Mario Galaxy

(Returned to the party)

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
SI_Wii_SuperMarioGalaxy_image1600w.jpg

Outer space, the universe, physical reality, existentialism... all this shit is super depressing. Highly fascinating, but there is a built in depressiveness built into it all, given what it truly implies for the ephemerality of human existence in the big and small picture, and how little any of that might matter.

I don't bring this up to be randomly philosophical and spout off existential nonsense on a Saturday afternoon, this is built into the very premise of any story that attempts to take on outer space as its central theme. And while a lot of stories manage to turn that around into a spirit of swashbuckling adventure fun or optimistic frontiers being explored (such as Star Wars and Star Trek), the best stories that cover outer space keep the central melancholy of outer space in mind - things like 2001: A Space Odyssey, the Foundation novels by Isaac Asimov, even modern day entries into the sci fi canon such as Christopher Nolan's Interstellar, Alfonso Caron's Gravity, or Andy Weir's The Martian and Project Hail Mary.

All of these are the precise kinds of things that you ordinarily don't associate with Mario. Nintendo typically shies away from overt narrative in its games, and while they don't mind getting weird or dark with the implications of their storytelling, usually that is reserved for Zelda or Metroid, not something they embrace with Mario. It would have been absolutely reasonable to expect Mario Galaxy to use the space setting as a justification for the madcap lunacy and gameplay variety the game frequently trots out, while also simultaneously expecting zero narrative or thematic lip service done to the aesthetic it was appropriating to do so.

Which is why Super Mario Galaxy is such a shocking game to me. It not only embraces the melancholy and sadness built into the outer space aesthetic at its core, but it seems to embody and express it better than almost any other game I can think of. There is an undercurrent of sadness through all of Mario Galaxy, and you can see this reflected in story elements such as not only Rosalina's storybook, but also the infamous ending, which is probably responsible for 50% of the existential crises Gen Z experienced growing up. Don't get me wrong, this isn't edgy or grim dark Mario - it retains the spirit of whimsy and fun and buoyancy and vibrant adventure that the character and the IP embody, and it is the ultimate manifestation of that all - but it is juxtaposed against the melancholy of outer space, which actually accentuates the edge of both sets of sentiment - the adventure and vibrancy of Mario hits much harder, as does the increasingly unignorable undercurrent of melancholy that persists in the background.

For a very long time, I wondered if my take on Mario Galaxy was simply me projecting what I understand of outer space as an aesthetic on to an otherwise innocent and fun kids' game, but replaying the game when the 3D All Stars collection launched a few years ago was when I realized, no, this wasn't just in my head, and Nintendo had actually very much intended it all along. The biggest hint for this is actually found in the soundtrack menu for 3D All Stars. When you get to Mario Galaxy's section, the description reads

This soundtrack marks the first use of a full orchestra in the Mario series. The bright, bittersweet sounds of this score work to capture the majesty of space exploration.

No, they very much knew what they were doing, and they also leveraged the most potent tool in their arsenal to make sure that the melancholy would come through: the music:

I think, to me, it's this extra level of thematic and narrative cohesion in Mario Galaxy that truly elevates it above all the other games in the series. Mario Galaxy is also gameplay brilliance - the mechanics, controls, and incredible, mind breakingly inventive and creative level design are all in harmony with one another to create a game that is as incredible to play as the best of this series. But Mario Galaxy has something no other Mario game as ever been permitted to have - ambition beyond just the mechanical and gameplay sphere (pun very much intended), which it leverages to a frighteningly effective degree.

One can argue that Mario Galaxy 2 and 3D World are far better with their level design and mechanics than Galaxy is (they probably are). One can make the case for Odyssey's sandbox brilliance allowing for a far more expressive platformer than Mario Galaxy's more pared back take on Mario's movement (also true, but I feel like that comparison does miss the point of what Galaxy is trying to be to begin with). But ultimately, none of those other games ever even attempted to emulate Galaxy's ambition with its narrative, thematic, and emotional resonance. Super Mario Galaxy perfectly well understood the melancholy of outer space, and the ephemerality that any treatment of existentialism, even light hearted treatment as Mario would necessarily be, implies and involves. It didn't shy away from that. It delivered on a transcendental experience, and I truly don't think we will ever get something that was this incredibly put together across all its fronts until Nintendo decides to allow Mario to have more than the bare minimum of plot justification again.

Last edited:
I love Galaxy so much, it's my favorite Mario game. As good as Odyssey is it didn't quite match the creativity and sheer ambition of Galaxy to me. It still just seems like such a wild idea for Mario - outer space? In a Mario game? I remember the reactions when it was revealed and people wondering just how the hell that was going to work, but then when we actually got to play it it was pure magic. And a big reason for why it works so well are a lot of the things you described.

I think Galaxy 2 does have some better levels, but the overall feel of Galaxy 1 can't be beat.

I would love a modern Mario game with the controls and depth of content they have with the atmosphere and feeling of Galaxy. There really is no other Mario game quite like it, not even Galaxy 2.

It's hard to put into words what a shock to the system this game was at the time. This was the first 3D Mario in 5 years after Sunshine, and it showed really what the EPD Tokyo team was capable of. Even if the level design of Galaxy 1 is on the simplistic side, I'll always love the story, mood, and soundtrack it brought.

Personally, I don’t feel like space has to be melancholy, I feel like the idea of other planets, what life would look like on them etc, is really interesting and can make for some super fun stories. This is maybe why stuff like Star Wars resonates the most to me, and I actually like the vibe of SMG2 more than SMG1 because the worlds in SMG2 feel more fun/vibrant imo.

While Galaxy isn’t my favorite Mario from a gameplay perspective, I think it does hit a very good balance of having a cohesive tone while also showcasing a lot creative level designs/visuals.

My favorite Mario game ever exactly for this reason. As fun, exciting and creative as a Mario game can be, but these extra ingredients put it on a higher level imo. It's a great adventure with stunning visuals, music, and some truly emotional moments, bittersweet is the perfect word to describe the game as a whole. Groundbreaking and one of Nintendo's greatest achievements

Completely agree OP.
I would love a modern Mario game with the controls and depth of content they have with the atmosphere and feeling of Galaxy. There really is no other Mario game quite like it, not even Galaxy 2.

It's hard to put into words what a shock to the system this game was at the time. This was the first 3D Mario in 5 years after Sunshine, and it showed really what the EPD Tokyo team was capable of. Even if the level design of Galaxy 1 is on the simplistic side, I'll always love the story, mood, and soundtrack it brought.

This, as well as waking up on the gateway planet to this

It’s just an untouchable vibe.
Personally, I don’t feel like space has to be melancholy, I feel like the idea of other planets, what life would look like on them etc, is really interesting and can make for some super fun stories. This is maybe why stuff like Star Wars resonates the most to me, and I actually like the vibe of SMG2 more than SMG1 because the worlds in SMG2 feel more fun/vibrant imo.
I mean Galaxy does do that with its beach levels and bee levels and stuff. It still has your typical Mario level themes, but it’s so much better at the more quiet moments than SMG2 - and those are strong enough to permeate the whole game imo.

One of the reasons i love galaxy so much is for its atmosphere, and you did a great job putting it into words. Gateway galaxy always makes me…not sad, but nostalgic, and at peace. Like i just want to float weightless in a void listening to that music. Galaxy 2 is objectively a better game, but the vibes of galaxy 1 will always make it superior in my heart

One of the reasons i love galaxy so much is for its atmosphere
There’s not a lot of atmosphere out in space though

(ba dum tss)

I think, to me, it's this extra level of thematic and narrative cohesion in Mario Galaxy that truly elevates it above all the other games in the series
Know what, I can see it. I’m not really into that kind of stuff in my 3D platformers, but that undercurrent of bittersweetness does add a lot of flavor to Galaxy. It really helps that the gameplay is brilliant, too.

Still the best 3d mario imo. It takes platforming to the next level. Also the most memorable becaise of his music (and great art)

Enjoyed reading your post, OP. You articulate well the reasons why the original Mario Galaxy resonated with me more than any other Mario game before or since.

By the way, it helps that Galaxy also has some of the best level design in the series backing up its ridiculous ambition

Love your points, agree with most but I gotta say… Mario was the least fun to control in Galaxy. I wouldn’t say its down right bad but I will say its the least satisfying.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love how gravity affects him and all the fun nonsense you can do with long jumps when the planets/platform’s gravitational pull causes centrifugal force on Mario, but that’s not really Mario’s movement per say, thats more of the environment’s impact on Mario’s movement.

Mario feels slow/sluggish and it really just feels so off when coming from 64/Sunshine’s movement. Mario’s movement felt so snappy and satisfying in Sunshine but I think they really struck a nice balance in Odyssey with how many available movements options were given to Mario and all the different ways you can string them together and truly feel free in traversing through the stages.

I actually prefer Odissey gameplay wise, but I agree with you that thematically Galaxy is the better game.
It almost feel like a Pixar movie. The music has pretty big part in it, but that Rosalina story was shocking. So sad and so beautiful.

This is why I love Galaxy 1 the most. I remember getting to Space Junk Galaxy when I was younger and just staring off into the sky box in first person mode listening to the music and I felt almost transported to a different world.

The game perfectly embodies not just the depressive nature of space but also just the more subtle almost romantic or possibly romanticized elements of depression itself. It's not surprising why, in retrospect, it's the game that features Rosalina's backstory of all things.

It's a truly deeply sad and beautiful game.

I find the profundity of Galaxy to be vastly overstated. Like, the game doesn't have a narrative. It's literally the same plot as every other Mario game but presented in a really overdramatic fashion, up until whatever the hell the ending is supposed to be. They gave one character a backstory and people lost their minds. It's a game with a memorable atmosphere and presentation, but so are lots of Nintendo games. That said, the inherent absurdity of Mario witnessing the death and rebirth of the universe is funny in a Super Paper Mario kind of way. I think Galaxy 2 was much better off for dropping these pretenses though. Its excuse plot is lame, but it doesn't take 15 minutes to get into Sky Station because they decided to make an entire pageant out of kidnapping the princess and putting Mario in space.

Also the consensus that Galaxy 2 moves away from the quieter moments of Galaxy is right, but I think what's mostly being noticed is specifically the lesser emphasis on the outer space setting. A lot more of 2 has blue skies than black, for instance. It does have Slimy Spring though, the most understated and atmospheric level in the entire series. It feels like it got lost on the way to Donkey Kong Country.

Love your points, agree with most but I gotta say… Mario was the least fun to control in Galaxy. I wouldn’t say its down right bad but I will say its the least satisfying.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love how gravity affects him and all the fun nonsense you can do with long jumps when the planets/platform’s gravitational pull causes centrifugal force on Mario, but that’s not really Mario’s movement per say, thats more of the environment’s impact on Mario’s movement.

Mario feels slow/sluggish and it really just feels so off when coming from 64/Sunshine’s movement. Mario’s movement felt so snappy and satisfying in Sunshine but I think they really struck a nice balance in Odyssey with how many available movements options were given to Mario and all the different ways you can string them together and truly feel free in traversing through the stages.
I actually really prefer the way Galaxy feels to Odyssey and consider it to be much closer to 64/Sunshine in practice. He's slow and floaty, but he still has satisfying momentum. The later 3D Mario games get rid of the jank the earlier ones had, but I find them so much more boring to control because of how confined Mario's acceleration feels. I consider there to be pretty much a clean break in 3D Mario movement between Galaxy 2 and 3D Land where the clumsier, more precarious and inertia-based Mario of old is supplanted by a looser, more weightless and responsive yet also more regimented playstyle that mostly ignores momentum.

100%. It's the reason it's my favourite Mario and I just want Galaxy 3, you can keep Odyssey.

The Sims 1 is like this too, I prefer the first game there too because of this vibe

Galaxy is not my favorite Mario game, it's not even #2 (i know i will get mobbed) but when Gusty Garden theme came up in the movie, it hit like a ton of bricks.

Back
Top Bottom