• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Film The Batman | Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

E

Emily

desktopbanner.jpg

Starring: Robert Pattinson, Zoë Kravitz, Paul Dano, Jeffrey Wright, John Turturro, Peter Sarsgaard, Andy Serkis, Colin Farrell

Plot: "During his second year of fighting crime, Batman pursues the Riddler, a serial killer who targets elite Gotham City citizens. He uncovers corruption that connects to his own family during the investigation, and is forced to make new allies to catch the Riddler and bring the corrupt to justice."

Release Date: Available in most regions worldwide on March 4th, 2022.

I have...SO many thoughts about this movie.

I feel like people need a disclaimer going into this movie that it is NOT a comic book movie at all. It is more Zodiac than The Dark Knight. Heavy tone, dour and downright humorless for almost 3 hours. It is a detective-ass Batman movie. It is an uncompromising slow cook of a story. See it in the middle of the day if you can, and make sure you drink some coffee.

It was long but I genuinely don't know what you cut, everything felt vital to me. I have a million moments, in particular, I could use as examples, but I want to use the scene in Arkham with Riddler and the Joker in particular. Introducing another Joker for the sake of using him in the sequel feels shitty and unoriginal especially since Riddler gave a lot of Joker energy in this movie, but the more I sat with the scene, it doesn't exist for the introduction of the Joker. It exists for Paul Dano's Riddler getting validated by someone potentially more psychotic. Riddler ultimately succeeded but didn't feel that way.

There are also excessive scenes of riding through Gotham that maybe you could've cut but honestly, the more footage of him alone really helped sell his isolation. This Batman is way more of a psychological study than a clean-cut businessman inspired to fight crime. He fully plans on dying with the ship that is Gotham until the end. Gotham itself was great; more believably unsalvageable than any other Batman movie. Everyone always talks about the city being in disarray in other Batman movies but in this movie, you really feel it.

It's tough to know whether or not I love it at the jump. There were a lot of choices made for Batman, the human that didn't feel like Batman, the myth. He's kind of a member of his own gang in this movie which is a cool choice. I was just expecting other things. Maybe fair of me to do in the era of the MCU, but I'm honestly glad this movie demanded that I just sit there and have the stomach for it. It is an uncompromising slow cook of a story. And ultimately everything it does, it does rather well, except dialogue. Quite a few moments where I feel like they just stuck with the first draft of the script.

One thing I loved: it felt like this movie based the villains around the story, not the other way around. One symptom of the MCU era I'm getting very tired of (and I'm getting tired of a lot) is choosing a villain and then writing a story around them. Riddler, Penguin, Carmine Falcone, however you choose to see Catwoman, all of them were great, sinister forces in their own way. The story kept finding new ways to progress, and in a very Joker-like way, the Riddler refused to go down without collateral damage. Every time I thought the movie was close to ending, the Riddler pulls some shit that finds ways to involve other characters. All of the supporting cast, aside from Alfred, feel like major players at all times. The scene at Gotham Square Garden was awesome and, aside from the AMAZING Batmobile chase scene, likely the only real "comic-book" movie scene in the whole movie.

One scene I could've used more of, was after the bomb went off at the funeral and the DA blew up, back at the police station. Batman cooperating with cops never ever ever made sense to me. So to see him getting in the Chief's face about corruption, fighting a room full of cops, the chief telling him "Now I have you for assaulting an officer". Batman says "You're about to have me for assaulting three." Like THAT'S Batman to me. He always took the law into his own hands so why wouldn't he feel superior?

Gordon was GREAT and Jeffrey Wright might have the best performance in the movie. I think I'm still a little cool on Pattinson, though as the movie went on, he definitely went more in the direction of "theatricality and deception" Batman. Though Nolan's trilogy and I believe Keaton's movies were early in Batman's career, they felt more advanced than Battinson's. But this movie has a different interpretation of Year 2. Everything was so much more grounded than anything, so much so that I'd imagine the writers thought of "what would someone dressed like Batman running around at night fighting crime by himself actually come off as to us today?" He does heroic things, but he's for sure not a heroic character. He makes monologues about being the shadows and scaring criminals and everything but it all feels delusional because he isn't actually doing any good. He doesn't come across as superhuman as other Batman movies have interpreted him. Going back to the Batmobile, it's not this special car like WTF is that, it's a supe'd up sports car with a rocket on the end. Even the windows shatter from gunfire. It's all very...regular.

I think this is primarily why I need to see the movie again. There were lots of moments that I was confused with. Most notably, when Batman, not Bruce Wayne (though he does too), goes to the Iceberg Lounge, he just...knocks on the door? Then doesn't even hide from people as he proceeds to fuck everyone up. My brother and I looked befuddled at each other. It was a strange choice that I'm sure would have a payoff or at least make more sense on a second watch, but this movie was so packed, I don't think I ever really got that resolution. It's something I'll have to make for myself.

The movie hits its apex within the first hour, and stumbles to the finish. Great performances, beautiful cinematography, and excellent choreography make it worth a watch.

I'm a Robert Pattinson lover, and I loved him in this movie. Batman as a weird obsessive freak is a beautiful character to splash over the rain-soaked frames of cinema's Gotham and his journal narration served this characterization well when it showed up. Hard to find a really lackluster performance in this movie. Maybe Alfred, but that might just be poor writing as he is basically just an exposition machine.

The first hour of the movie rules because Batman has to think about clues and motivations to unravel a cool, compelling mystery. This tantalizing storyline crests when Catwoman hits the 44 below club to pull info out of the doomed DA, who gives an unreasonably memorable performance for a victim who appears and dies within a fifth of the movies runtime. One feels as interested as Batman in the details that she’s extracting. From here the riddler crimes fail to crescendo. His second crime is shocking, grotesque, and beautifully accented with the riddler's wit. His penultimate crimes are sending a bomb in the mail and shooting someone in the head.

The mystery stalls in the third act with a long, and frankly pointless, diversion into Thomas Wayne’s history. Bruce shows his face to hear the story of his father's sins from Falcone, becomes tortured with this new knowledge, and then is absolved almost as quickly because Alfred says 'your father was a good man.'

The riddler gives himself up, presumably because he's out of good ideas for clever crimes, and then he gives us a re-hash of Bale v Ledger in the interrogation room. The harsh truth that Batman's theatricality and reliance on fear inspired the Riddler to plumb the depths of horror was written well and played nicely by both actors, but this failed to deliver as the face-to-face moment it built up to be. Honestly, how did the riddler not realize that Batman is Bruce Wayne? Finally, the mystery is explained by watching the Riddler explain it in a password-protected youtube video. I don't believe subversion is good for its own sake, and it may be a subversion to have the detective fail to solve the case, but it undermines the best part of the noir genre - figuring out the mystery.

At this point it's worth mentioning that this movie borrows a lot from The Dark Knight, and it's worse for it. The ending of the car chase hits beat-for-beat like the one from TDK. The riddler was played as very much as gleeful and unhinged as the Joker, and it's not tough to picture his scenes as working just as well if the duct tape on each victim was replaced with a rictus grin. This cross-contamination makes it even more baffling that they felt compelled to tease a Joker for The Batman 2. It's very possible I've just seen Nolan's films too many times, but I kept wondering whether these callbacks were helpful or necessary to the mythos Reeves is establishing.

The conclusion of the movie is undermined by its need to set up sequels. I know, I know. This is 2022 and superhero movies exist to support their prequels/sequels/concurrent-quels, but this inevitable result still leaves me with a sour taste. The Penguin was uninspired in this film, and it's hard to imagine someone walking out of the theatre interested to watch his empire building unless you already know that HBO MAX is now working on a series to show just that. Was the whole Thomas Wayne hour included just to set up Hush? Unforgivable, tbh. The scene teasing the Joker was just awful. Rip it out, it adds nothing.

On the universal scale of batman movies, I'd say this one is about as good as Batman (1989). Which is to say, pretty good.

Last edited:
I love it. Definitely more Se7en than your standard superhero movie, very much a more meditative and headier flick than previous Batman films. As someone who, personally, is pretty burnt out on MCU stuff at this point, it really delivered on giving me the different kind of superhero movie I’d been waiting for.

I love that between the Burton Movies, the Nolan movies, and now this we have all these different takes on live action Batman that all do their own thing and are all great.

It's a funny little movie. For as gritty as it portrays itself, it's really Batman with all the edges sanded off. The person who did the soundtrack really read the movie, because
battinson is a giant poser who spends most of the movie talking about having a death wish while wearing military grade armor plating nothing can penetrate. The armor also really shows the wealth disparity as he clobbers goons in night clubs. I know it's trying to make a point about dirty cops by having them work for falcone, but in a corrupt broken city, it more plays like the cops are just picking up extra hours, especially when Gordon has no clue any one is dirty until this.
And that's just one thing, the writing was real spotty and the voice over monologues are just
Rorschach's journal played straight, which says a lot. I'm honestly surprised they made Batman the bad guy here.

Movie is really cheeky though, especially with little side character moments. I never felt like it wasted a minute, but I did think a single minute was unearned,
when Batman saves Selena from falcone and vice versa

Colin Farrel deserves an award, he's incredible.

Really liked the movie, easily the best Batman movie to me.

I rewatched the Nolan trilogy last year, and honestly they didn´t age well to me, Batman comes off as someone that is above all, including that he doesn´t face consequences for anything he does. Ultimately I didn´t like that the idea of giving a person ultimate unchecked power over everyone to "save" everyone is idolized.

I bring up the above, because I feel that this new movie handled a kind of "realistic" take on Batman in the complete opposite thematic point of view compared to the Nolan movies.

In this new movie, Batman is not shown in a good light, from the beginning it is established that, at least a year after Batman started, crime has only INCREASED, villains like the penguin don´t even refer to him as the Batman, they just make fun of him, and it can be argued that Batman is responsible for what happens in the movie since he inspires the riddler.

Batman here is characterized as a rich, unhinged, privileged person, which means he is not a perfect detective that is always a step ahead like he is normally portrayed; he has a lot of blind spots and ultimately realizes that what he has been doing so far was not the right thing.

I kinda love that this is a three hour super hero movie were we are allowed to have the hero fail, that is at least able to show negative consequences to vigilantism, all while being secure enough about its vision to be able to have a laugh at itself from time to time.

i want to go see this movie three more times

I saw it yesterday and I still can‘t believe that it was just one movie. I swear this thing isn‘t to long, they rather managed to put a whole trilogy in just one film.

I had some issues with it (his relationship with the police in particular) but right now I’m still riding the high of that fucking score

what an intro

I went in with pretty high expectations and honestly it might have exceeded them. This was very, very good. When Reeves was picked to direct in 2017 I knew he was the man for the job and he definitely delivered. It's Blade Runner meets Se7en, and everything that entails. Gotham feels so lived in, and the direction and cinematography is extremely deliberate. Also definitely the best Batmobile put to film. I was also happy that even despite its more grim tone, they put in what is probably gonna be considered an iconic hero shot towards the end of the third act with Batman - I'm sure you know which one.

My biggest issue is while Batman and Catwoman were great I wasn't super impressed with the supporting cast. If nobody had ever seen anything Batman before I don't think this movie would sell how important Alfred and Gordon are. Alfred has almost no presence in the movie and Gordon just feels like Batman's plucky sidekick who spells out stuff for the audience. Those are things a sequel can address though. And Riddler… even given that it's Batman, a very dicey portrayal of a mentally unstable character, and I didn't really get into his "persona" even if I enjoyed the clues and puzzles.

This is why for all their flaws I think the Nolan trilogy will always be "my" Batman, they absolutely nailed those supporting characters and villains. But I digress, this is a great start for a new Batman and I can't wait to see what Reeves has in store for the sequel. I'm even considering seeing it again in theaters despite its length. A strong 4 out of 5.

One more complaint though, I know it's a comic book movie, but Bruce keeping a diary of his actions seems incredibly stupid. Maybe that's the point, they want to sell that he's self destructive, but that was a bizarre thing for me.

I had some issues with it (his relationship with the police in particular)
The movie's politics are incoherent at best lol, that's kind of something I leave at the door watching Batman, it's nearly guaranteed to be a reactionary mess.

Yeah so this movie absolutely rocks, I've seen it twice and any small reservations I had about pacing or some beats from the first viewing have almost all evaporated, minus some of the herky-jerkiness of the corruption subplot in the 2nd act. One of my favorite CBMs, and Pattinson is my favorite Batman. The expressiveness his cowl provides and fluidity of movement his suit enables make him super agile and intimidating, yet vulnerable and emotionally unstable in a way that other actors in the cowl never convincingly sold. Entire supporting cast is a delight, with Zoe Kravitz slotting in behind Pfeiffer and Wright becoming my favorite Gordon (in rewatching TDK movies, Gary Oldman really doesn't have a great rapport with Batman). I really can't stress enough how spot-on Pattinson's facial acting is in this. Two scenes in particular, one close to the midpoint and the other near the end right before the 3rd-act climax, illustrate this perspective beautifully.

I was also a huge fan of the narration and Batman's overall arc - it's the most well-realized out of all the live-action films imo. I think some people are struggling with the idea that this Batman isn't perfect and messes up at critical moments and it's throwing them off compared to the more sanitized Batmen of prior iterations, but I felt more emotion and honest-to-god stakes and consequences from this film than 90% of other superhero movies, and I found it to be a complete breath of fresh air. The ending was quite moving for me as well. Also the most gorgeously lensed CBM of all time for my money. Batmobile chase was FIRE

Last edited:
I love it. Definitely more Se7en than your standard superhero movie, very much a more meditative and headier flick than previous Batman films. As someone who, personally, is pretty burnt out on MCU stuff at this point, it really delivered on giving me the different kind of superhero movie I’d been waiting for.

I love that between the Burton Movies, the Nolan movies, and now this we have all these different takes on live action Batman that all do their own thing and are all great.
Exactly this for me. At the risk of sounding very "old man yells at cloud", I'm just so exhausted by the visual sameness and formulaic approach to modern comic-book films, and I absolutely loved this movie for refusing to compromise in my eyes. I think this might be the richest, most emotionally complex Batman movie yet in live action.

Last edited:
The movie's politics are incoherent at best lol, that's kind of something I leave at the door watching Batman, it's nearly guaranteed to be a reactionary mess.

I'm not expecting much of a Batman movie in terms of politics but I found it weird how
there's a big escape scene which felt like it would have some permanent or at least longer lasting consequences. A few minutes later he's just chilling at the Riddler's flat with the cops again.

That part felt completely inconsequential and pointless.

(in rewatching TDK movies, Gary Oldman really doesn't have a whole lot to his character imo)
Even though I loved this movie I can't say I agree with this take, in fact I would say this was my biggest issue with the movie, Gordon just doesn't get anywhere near to do as much as he does in the TDK trilogy. Even just looking at Batman Begins, there's a lot going on - he's trying to get promoted, looking after his family, navigating an uneasy alliance with Batman to expose the corruption in Gotham, helping Batman in the climax with the Batmobile, Gordon just has a lot more elements in Begins, and it's compounded even more in the sequels where he has to navigate things like keeping the secret of Harvey Dent, his family trauma from the kidnapping, just to name a few things. I'm not here to pick a fight, I just genuinely don't think this is true.

Now, this is something they can expand on in the sequels, and I certainly hope they do.

I'm not expecting much of a Batman movie in terms of politics but I found it weird how
there's a big escape scene which felt like it would have some permanent or at least longer lasting consequences. A few minutes later he's just chilling at the Riddler's flat with the cops again.

I'd have to see the movie again to remember the order of events correctly, but

I'm pretty sure they only go to Riddler's apartment after he gets arrested, which is quite a bit of time after the big escape scene, at which point Falcone has been exposed/killed and the corruption in the police is public knowledge, which creates a very different context.

But Batman media has always been kinda touch and go with Batman being either an unofficial police officer or public enemy number one, so I guess I'm used to it being inconsistent, lol

Last edited:
Even though I loved this movie I can't say I agree with this take, in fact I would say this was my biggest issue with the movie, Gordon just doesn't get anywhere near to do as much as he does in the TDK trilogy. Even just looking at Batman Begins, there's a lot going on - he's trying to get promoted, looking after his family, navigating an uneasy alliance with Batman to expose the corruption in Gotham, helping Batman in the climax with the Batmobile, Gordon just has a lot more elements in Begins, and it's compounded even more in the sequels where he has to navigate things like keeping the secret of Harvey Dent, his family trauma from the kidnapping, just to name a few things. I'm not here to pick a fight, I just genuinely don't think this is true.

Now, this is something they can expand on in the sequels, and I certainly hope they do.
This is really well-reasoned, and in hindsight I actually agree with you. I always felt like Nolan's supporting characters outshined Batman in his movies, and with a recap like this, I can see why. I should've said easily my favorite Batman/Gordon dynamic.

As a big big fant of Nolan's movies and a very strong supporter of the "Ben Affleck is the best Batman yet" case.

I might say this is the best Batman movie of them all, this character really feels like Batman.

That part (The Riddler's flat) was after they found the real conspirators in the corruption scheme handled by Falcone with all the corrupt cops and officials involved also being outed. I thought it was really clear in the movie but i guess not for everyone

I'd have to see the movie again to remember the order of events correctly, but

I'm pretty sure they only go to Riddler's apartment after he gets arrested, which is quite a bit of time after the big escape scene, at which point Falcone has been exposed/killed and the corruption in the police is public knowledge, which creates a very different context.

But Batman media has always been kinda touch and go with Batman being either an unofficial police officer or public enemy number one, so I guess I'm used to it being inconsistent, lol

That part (The Riddler's flat) was after they found the real conspirators in the corruption scheme handled by Falcone with all the corrupt cops and officials involved also being outed. I thought it was really clear in the movie but i guess not for everyone

I have no issue with the order of events or its logical consistency, I got it just fine what they were going for. However...

there are little to no consequences to that big escape scene before it is resolved and everything returns to the status quo. He punches a cop (staged but still), causes mayhem at a police station and gets shot at but it doesn't significantly affect anything. It doesn't change his relationship with Gordon, it doesn't restrict what he can do to catch the Riddler etc. It would have been nice to get at least something more substantial about how the tense relationship to the police from the beginning of the movie has been pushed past the breaking point, like Bats having to sneak into a crime scene or something. Like this it just feels like they had it in there to give Batman a cool jump.

I have no issue with the order of events or its logical consistency, I got it just fine what they were going for. However...

there are little to no consequences to that big escape scene before it is resolved and everything returns to the status quo. He punches a cop (staged but still), causes mayhem at a police station and gets shot at but it doesn't significantly affect anything. It doesn't change his relationship with Gordon, it doesn't restrict what he can do to catch the Riddler etc. It would have been nice to get at least something more substantial about how the tense relationship to the police from the beginning of the movie has been pushed past the breaking point, like Bats having to sneak into a crime scene or something. Like this it just feels like they had it in there to give Batman a cool jump.

I disagree with your take because i believe it's just a small thing to nitpick , concerning the cops, same thing kinda happens during Nolan's and even Burton's movies, i don't know why the expectation you have for this movie is to see in minor detail how Batman remends his relationship with the Gotham PD after his scape. I guess lines were drawn when Falcone got arrested and all the clean GCPD cops participated in the arrest, all of them being automatically OK with the Batman afterwards as it was evident scenes later when Batman returns to Riddler's flat and finds the cop that disliked him since the start of the movie but now being OK with him.

The realtionship with Batman and GCPD is always flip floppy across all types of media

Again, i think is such a little thing to nitpick but i guess that each to their own, cheers.

I disagree with your take because i believe it's just a small thing to nitpick , concerning the cops, same thing kinda happens during Nolan's and even Burton's movies, i don't know why the expectation you have for this movie is to see in minor detail how Batman remends his relationship with the Gotham PD after his scape. I guess lines were drawn when Falcone got arrested and all the clean GCPD cops participated in the arrest, all of them being automatically OK with the Batman afterwards as it was evident scenes later when Batman returns to Riddler's flat and finds the cop that disliked him since the start of the movie but now being OK with him.

The realtionship with Batman and GCPD is always flip floppy across all types of media

Again, i think is such a little thing to nitpick but i guess that each to their own, cheers.

I simply said it was weird lmao

One thing that i just remembered and i do find stupid or a plot hole (concerning the car chase)

The car chase is spectacular and very exciting, but if i remember correctly the pinguin provokes the crashes in the freeway, you can see how the trailers turn over and start exploding, killing what i assume are dozens of people (at the very least, the truck drivers) and yet when Batman catches him he only interrogates him about the Falcone case and lets him go, he is even free when Falcone gets arrested

I am right or im missing something about the chase?

This movie was superb.

Question:

That man that Batman saves on the subway platform, is that the same man at the end who was the last Ridditor? Looked like him, and he kept saying I AM VENGEANCE etc

that was amazing. goofy but earnest and not annoying. this is the golden axe beast rider to the 1960's batman's golden axe.

did they confirm the undertaker influence in interviews?

Deleted scene has been released. Spoilers, obviously:

Honestly? I’m glad it was cut. This entirely shows their hand for the rest of the movie and it’s a bit of an awkward scene to watch (edit: or at least I found it that way, specifically because of who it features and how as watching I’m focusing on interpreting them). The film didn’t need this character in it.

Honestly? I’m glad it was cut. This entirely shows their hand for the rest of the movie and it’s a bit of an awkward scene to watch (edit: or at least I found it that way, specifically because of who it features and how as watching I’m focusing on interpreting them). The film didn’t need this character in it.

It's difficult to judge a scene outside of the context of the movie but I think they should have either cut both this scene and the other one
between Riddler and Joker
or kept both. I didn't mind what we got in the theatrical cut but the cut one would have helped make the tease at the end not feel as jarring. But I also can't really come up with an organic place to put the cut scene in...

It's difficult to judge a scene outside of the context of the movie but I think they should have either cut both this scene and the other one
between Riddler and Joker
or kept both. I didn't mind what we got in the theatrical cut but the cut one would have helped make the tease at the end not feel as jarring. But I also can't really come up with an organic place to put the cut scene in...
Right, and if it were up to me, I'd cut both. However, between the two I think this is more problematic
as it lays out themes and characterizations that the movie as it currently is structured preserves as a twist—or at least, a twist for Batman. Joker tells us in the deleted scene that The Riddler is writing to Batman because he admires him, and because he believes they share the same mission. (He also says that Batman believes that Riddler's victims deserved their fates; in the final cut, Batman implies this to Selina and Gordon himself.) If we had already heard a character that the film presents as a voice of wisdom, a kind of crime savant, make those exact points, the scene where Riddler expresses the same ideas is less impactful, and Batman look even more foolish.
That said, you're right that not knowing where the scene would be placed makes it more difficult to judge.

Honestly, I might actually prefer this over Nolan's Batman Trilogy, at least in certain aspects, like Batman being much more detective focused here and feeling overall more vulnerable or the film noir sort of vibe they're going for. It's not quite perfect, I find it to have some issues with its dialogue like the Nolan films and some parts do feel a little...pointless or just not as engaging as they perhaps could've been but, overall, a great movie and one I'm thinking of watching again

Boy oh boy was this good.....

It was dirty, dark and wonderfully gothic. Echos of 1989 batman that way, but shot far better. What an experience to see this on professionally calibrated, large screen. I spend $20 for me and my girl to see it that way rather than on HBO max later but worth it! Moving onto the actual story, I appreciate the lack of needless exposition and complete deviation from any 'origin' story beats that usually accompany first films of any franchise. If anyone has read Batman Year One, its the perfect follow up to that book. Not action heavy, which worked to only heighten the exciting and well done action sequences that were there.

Dark though. Oh so dark, and turns certain established batman mythology completely around.

It isn't Nolans trilogy yet but it has a chance.

Wife wanted to see this, so we went out this afternoon. I'm not really a modern Batman guy, but I'd say I liked it better than the Nolan ones. Pattinson's acting as an antisocial weirdo works well for Batman, and it's nice to see them lean more into him as a detective.

The people sitting next to us brought young children for some reason. After forty years of Batman getting progressively grittier and darker, I'm surprised people haven't picked up on that yet.
I'm not sure what the motivation for Riddler to blow up the seawall was, but I'm pretty sure they just stuck that in there so he wasn't 100% justified.

Still rate Batman Begins over this after re-watching that film again. Tho it’s rather a personal preference mostly since these are completely different films. The biggest reason being that The Batman didn’t justify its 3 hour runtime, still feels like it could’ve been much tighter.

Wife wanted to see this, so we went out this afternoon. I'm not really a modern Batman guy, but I'd say I liked it better than the Nolan ones. Pattinson's acting as an antisocial weirdo works well for Batman, and it's nice to see them lean more into him as a detective.

The people sitting next to us brought young children for some reason. After forty years of Batman getting progressively grittier and darker, I'm surprised people haven't picked up on that yet.

I'm not sure what the motivation for Riddler to blow up the seawall was, but I'm pretty sure they just stuck that in there so he wasn't 100% justified.
During the mayor's debate, they mention that the seawall was one of the main investments of the Gotham Renewal project, but besides that, yeah not entirely sure.

Movie was not good. Lesser than the sum of its parts like most overrated film these days. Wow it's so dark, how did they do that. The atmosphere, it drips with it. Oh the moods. How about the extremely uninteresting story and script. Yeah it's bloated and terrible. I don't see how why people yearn for detective Batman so much especially the conceit drawn out for 3 hours when we the audience will know who the fuck is the culprit the entire fucking time. Film needed a better balance of everything and it instead tries to just rely on pleasing people by just being "dark". Who cares it's still pg-13 and absurd. How about something with substance and stakes to care about. Not another grimdark, angsty reboot that takes the scenic route to nowhere as if that equates to a modern masterpiece of cinema.

I finally saw it thanks to it coming to streaming and I just wanna say:
bum... bumbum bum
bum... bumbum bum
bum... bumbum bum
bum... bumbum bum

Seriously though, something I've heard repeated a bunch among my friends is that Batman movies tend to be more about the villains, which is because he has probably the best (or at least most iconic) rogues gallery in the industry, and while that seems to be true for the films by Burton, Schumacher, and Nolan, this one actually feels like a movie about Batman. Which is rad.

Most of my feelings have already been summed up by others, especially about the cinematography and the fantastic slow burn of a story, but as the resident car weeb™ let me just say: it's refreshing to see a functional Batmobile. I think that's what Nolan was going for with the Tumbler, but that thing does not strike me as something that can navigate a city street. Having a chopped-up Mopar with a ton of suspension travel strikes me as a rich-boy-with-resources way to build a superhero car that would actually be able to handle crazy situations like driving over curbs and rubble and stuff. The Tumbler was too damn big and heavy to be fast, and the Burton/Schumacher batmobiles had such little ground clearance that a stray brick would cause trouble. It's like the two concepts did the fusion dance and ended up realistic. Also him revving it menacingly during the reveal only to stall it when he went to take off is exactly what I'd expect from a trust-fund kid with a Charger 🤣
Actually speaking of which, can we take a moment to appreciate the tiny bits of comedy they sprinkled in? Pattinson's delivery of the line "thumb... drive" had me rolling. Reminded me of David Sandberg's delivery of "tank... you" in Kung Fury.

Oh and a special shout-out to the fight scene lit entirely by the muzzle flashes. I had a scene like that planned out in a short film some friends of mine and I tried to make in high school, and it was so awesome to see done and done right. Damn this movie was pretty.

I think that's what Nolan was going for with the Tumbler, but that thing does not strike me as something that can navigate a city street. Having a chopped-up Mopar with a ton of suspension travel strikes me as a rich-boy-with-resources way to build a superhero car that would actually be able to handle crazy situations like driving over curbs and rubble and stuff. The Tumbler was too damn big and heavy to be fast, and the Burton/Schumacher batmobiles had such little ground clearance that a stray brick would cause trouble. It's like the two concepts did the fusion dance and ended up realistic.
The Tumbler was a military vehicle prototype, so it definitely was never meant to navigate tight streets in a massive metro. Which honestly is probably the biggest reason they changed it to the Batpod in TDK.

Having said that, yes, this is undeniably the best Batmobile put to film as I already mentioned up thread.

The Tumbler was a military vehicle prototype, so it definitely was never meant to navigate tight streets in a massive metro. Which honestly is probably the biggest reason they changed it to the Batpod in TDK.

Having said that, yes, this is undeniably the best Batmobile put to film as I already mentioned up thread.
I will admit the Batpod changeover/reveal was one of the hypest moments in TDK for me, for some reason. 😅 That and the semi flipping, which took full advantage of the IMAX screen.

it just showcases how basic nolan as a filmmaker is in comparison.

230114_908223010.jpg

Sorry son, this isn't it, i know that Nolan has his haters and/or you may not like his work legitimately, even me, who i consider him one of my favorite directors , I started to see things i don't like especially in his last 2 movies and it started to wear me down, BUT basic he is not and that's just a fact.

230114_908223010.jpg

Sorry son, this isn't it, i know that Nolan has his haters and/or you may not like his work legitimately, even me, who i consider him one of my favorite directors , I started to see things i don't like especially in his last 2 movies and it started to wear me down, BUT basic he is not and that's just a fact.
An opinion is not a fact, sorry.

I finally watched this a few days ago and really liked it, but boy is it not for everyone. Anyone expecting a fun blockbuster is going to be disappointed, but for me I enjoyed the dire tone of it all. Main criticism is what everyone else has said: chop 20 minutes off so it's not so long.

Watched this for the second time and I'm definitely coming around on Pattinson. I'm doubling down on my interpretation of the character, him being the sole member of his own gang, less so a heroic vigilante, and more mentally troubled.

I think his suit is a little too armored and he doesn't have enough bulk for me, personally. But I love this movie's interpretation of him. Or at least the fear he brings to people. Him walking slowly into any scene kinda put me off on first viewing but I really liked it this time.

The supporting cast is spectacular. The movie is wonderfully shot. I get that it's early in his career so he doesn't have his theatricality but towards the end of the movie he gets there. I'm excited to see how he learns and adapts in the sequel.

Saw it a few weeks ago, it’s one of the greats already. I’m really liking the fact they took inspiration from the Long Halloween and Year One. Bruce being a hermit with a mission isn’t that far from Year One, in which he came to Gotham full of anger and where he slowly came to understand that it’s not just him being Batman that’s going to cut it. But him being intimidating as fuck rules.

Farrell was amazing as Cobblepot. Really liked Zoe as Selina. Everyone was great.

Only thing I did not care for is that we already saw the first scenes of the Joker… I mean he is a fantastic villain, put pick someone else from his rogue gallery

Back
Top Bottom