• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

TV The Attitude Era Was Hilarious

Oheao

Workers of the world, unite!
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
I wouldn't say I'm as big of fan as wrestling as many others are, but I am a pretty decent fan of it I'd say. I would say that I prefer the entertainment/soap opera presentation over the more sports oriented programs, and the Attitude Era is probably the biggest example of that. It has definitely aged horribly in certain respects in regards to its racist and sexist angles, but I also laugh my ass off at angles like Undertaker being a Satanic cult leader that kidnaps and converts people, Big Boss Man killing a man's dog and tricking him into eating it, and all these worked shoots where they just shit on their own gimmicks.

Is this the era where the Earthquake killed Jake "The Snake" Roberts' snake by jumping on it?

I clicked on the thread intending to moan about how 90% of Attitude era shows was crap and WWE main event style sucked...

but halfway through loading the page I remembered The Acclaimed just celebrated National Scissoring Day on AEW Dynamite in a segment that could have come from a 1999 Raw.

And it was indeed hilarious!

don't forget, regardless of how edgy things could get. you could always count on GLOVER to provide sponsorship funding!

#LoveTheGlove

I remember the time when WWF and WWE went to war and fought each other. Good times.

I don't recall if this was within the Attitude Era or the transitory period between it and "Ruthless Aggression" Era, but I always loved the Stone Cold and Booker T segment in the supermarket. So much fun.

I don't recall if this was within the Attitude Era or the transitory period between it and "Ruthless Aggression" Era, but I always loved the Stone Cold and Booker T segment in the supermarket. So much fun.
That was the transitory period, yeah.

You're probably thinking of WWF and WCW, WWF became WWE.
That is very possible. It was a long time ago. All I remember is you had two camps and one had The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin and the other side had Booker T.

That is very possible. It was a long time ago. All I remember is you had two camps and one had The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin and the other side had Booker T.

It's an easy mistake to make because one side of the invasion was represented by WWF wrestlers and the other side was represented by WWF wrestlers.
Yeah WWF's main stars were Stone Cold, The Rock, Undertaker, Mankind, Triple H, Kane, Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, etc. while WCW had Hulk Hogan, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Sting, Ric Flair, Goldberg, Booker T, DDP, Scott Steiner, etc. There were some notable transitions during the Attitude Era, particularly when Paul Wight (The Giant/Big Show), Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero went from WCW to WWF.

What I find shocking is that the "WCW Invasion" angle didn't have Hogan, Nash, Hall, Goldberg, Sting, Flair, Steiner or Bischoff, like come on that's like almost all the most important people in WCW.

As for the product itself, WCW was mainly known for having the larger talent pool, especially when it came to cruiserweights, but was criticized for having relying on the older, more-established wrestlers for the main feuds. On the other hand WWF had a more limited roster which made the undercard less noteworthy match-wise which they made up for by giving everyone storylines and gimmicks. The more limited roster, especially with so many top guys going to WCW, also forced them to build up newer stars which helped them in the longer run.

Personally, I was too young to really enjoy the Monday Night Wars but I'm definitely much more familiar with the WWF storylines, matches and wrestlers of that period than I am WCW, especially since I'm more of a fan of the over-the-top storylines and gimmicks. Russo and Ferrara did notably switch to WCW and kind of had that style there for a big but obviously it didn't work as well as it had in the WWF.

Most hilarious thing is that, as kids, we thought it was real. All the crazy scenario they were coming up with, and we were so fucking angry whenever someone told us it was staged lmao

Most hilarious thing is that, as kids, we thought it was real. All the crazy scenario they were coming up with, and we were so fucking angry whenever someone told us it was staged lmao
Yeah, the Attitude Era was the only time I really got into wrestling as a kid, and being told it was staged was like being told Santa Claus isn't real.

I think as the Attitude Era died down so did my interest in wrestling, it wasn't the same without the shock factor and vulgarity. I tried to get into wrestling again as an adult and it never stuck. I sure did play the shit out of those N64 wrestling games though.

Being a mark is where it's at!

don't forget, regardless of how edgy things could get. you could always count on GLOVER to provide sponsorship funding!

#LoveTheGlove

This is post-Attitude, but still my favourite:

I'm playing Final Fantasy X-2, baby! Look at that, there's Yuna!

Back
Top Bottom