• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Telltale Games has supposedly laid off the majority of staff

This last week or so has been a pretty sad time for video game labor, not that it's ever been a great time really

These layoff cases are starting to seriously worry me. This isn't sustainable.
I think it’s more worrying that a significant portion of the US tech sector was only sustainable when interest rates were close to 0%

are we heading to another industry crash damn
If there’s a games crash it’s going to be a footnote on a wider tech crash.

That said, I don’t think we’ve heard of similar issues from the JP publishers

again?! lmao
Was popping in here to basically say this 😄

I'm gonna be honest, I didn't even realise telltale games rose from the grave at any point. I thought they died in 2018 and basically cancelled everything they were working on.
I didn't even know they came back...
iirc what happened basically is that they got partially saved to continue work on The Walking Dead: The Final Season. Then they re-announced The Wolf Among Us 2 just a few months after they finished work on The Walking Dead. It always seemed premature and they haven't released a game since 2019.

telltale going bakrupt

33guarkb46gb1.jpg

Also unionzation couldn't really do much here. Unions can't stop layoffs from happening. They can provide a safety net for those who are laid off though

Also seems like some of their games are exclusive to the EGS which certainly didn't help visibility
Yeah, on the other hand, it's probably the deal that made it possible.

iirc what happened basically is that they got partially saved to continue work on The Walking Dead: The Final Season. Then they re-announced The Wolf Among Us 2 just a few months after they finished work on The Walking Dead. It always seemed premature and they haven't released a game since 2019.
They just finished releasing the fifth episode of The Expanse: A TellTale Series. These layoffs basically happened once those obligations wrapped.

Worth noting, however, that the only TellTale game that "new" TellTale has managed to release wasn't primarily developed by them.

Yeah, on the other hand, it's probably the deal that made it possible.

They just finished releasing the fifth episode of The Expanse: A TellTale Series. These layoffs basically happened once those obligations wrapped.

Worth noting, however, that the only TellTale game that "new" TellTale has managed to release wasn't primarily developed by them.
Oh yeah, my bad. I looked up the Wikipedia article for Telltale Games games, but didn't realize it separate old Telltale and New Telltale since it still showed TWD Final Season and The Wolf Among Us 2 in the old Telltale section so I didn't see the extra column at the bottom

are we heading to another industry crash damn
Considering the last "industry crash" was only in the US and only around console gaming?

Yes, we will have another isolated "crash" around some of the big AAA developers who're in too deep with these massive budget single player or gaas games that don't pay off. It's why you're seeing companies like Bethesda, ABK, and Bungie looking to be acquired, they see the cliff and are trying to secure their futures.

Gaming as a whole will continue to make a shit load of money for a lot of sectors.

Considering the last "industry crash" was only in the US and only around console gaming?

Yes, we will have another isolated "crash" around some of the big AAA developers who're in too deep with these massive budget single player or gaas games that don't pay off. It's why you're seeing companies like Bethesda, ABK, and Bungie looking to be acquired, they see the cliff and are trying to secure their futures.

Gaming as a whole will continue to make a shit load of money for a lot of sectors.
The last crash was on console gaming which was US centric due to Ataris dominance and Europe being a non factor and Japan didn't yet have Nintendo enter the market. It wasn't a geographic crash but a segment crash. PC/C64 gaming in the USA continued

A console crash today would be global but I don't think there is a crash, but unsustainable business practices are coming home to roost

I really don't think this is a sign in particular of anything. Telltale was a failed gaming company, came back to the market attempting to make the exact same games and failed again. What a surprise?

Back
Top Bottom