• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Television |ST| Pox of the Idiot Box

big lantern ghost

cantstandya
Pronouns
he/him
gjeOfaN.png

Wjl6tRz.gif

I’m sure you’re well aware of our lovely Film ST here in The Roost, but y’know what else you can watch if you feel like it? TV. If you’re watching a TV show and have some shit you want to say about it, swing by and post!

(I know the Transformers clip is from the movie BUT the app I use to make gifs rendered me unable to align a 4:3 clip properly to the TV graphic. 🙏)

Not many folks on Fami up for discussing TV shows, huh? Guess I'll be the first to post here. Beautiful gif to start the ST off with, blg 🤣

So, I recently watched the first season of The Bear, and yeah... it's easy to see why it's garnered so much acclaim. The combination of dialogue, performances, and the way it's filmed make for a prime anxiety watch, and I really enjoy Carmy, Sydney, and Richie as characters. There's an interesting exploration of the grieving process happening through Carmy and Richie in particular, and watching them grapple with the sudden loss of a loved one amidst the day-to-day stressors of running a restaurant is what makes the show such a compelling watch. I've seen a handful of episodes from the second season, and I plan to go back and finish it up soon. Great show.

I'm also interested in checking out True Detective: Night Country, now that all six episodes are out. I watched the first episode when it went up last month just to get a vibe for the season, and I really liked its wintry darkness, in contrast to the first season's (the only one I've seen) sweaty bayou bloke and hillbilly horror vibes. The only thing that makes me nervous is hearing that the finale on this one apparently isn't the greatest, lol. Hopefully it makes for a neat watch anyway!

@big lantern ghost @Yamanoi:

jbms2iZ.gif

Been watching Star Trek TNG. Saw bits and pieces of it as a kid but not the whole thing. Halfway through season 5 now, despite the rough spots, it's easy to see why it was such a seminal and classic show. Looking forward to starting Deep Space 9 after that.

Also rewatching the Sopranos with someone who's never seen it, almost done with season 1. I consider it the best TV show I've ever seen and man, there is a lot in it that hits hard on rewatch. Also, it's much more obvious how incredibly unprofessional Melfi is a therapist lol

Not many folks on Fami up for discussing TV shows, huh? Guess I'll be the first to post here. Beautiful gif to start the ST off with, blg 🤣

So, I recently watched the first season of The Bear, and yeah... it's easy to see why it's garnered so much acclaim. The combination of dialogue, performances, and the way it's filmed make for a prime anxiety watch, and I really enjoy Carmy, Sydney, and Richie as characters. There's an interesting exploration of the grieving process happening through Carmy and Richie in particular, and watching them grapple with the sudden loss of a loved one amidst the day-to-day stressors of running a restaurant is what makes the show such a compelling watch. I've seen a handful of episodes from the second season, and I plan to go back and finish it up soon. Great show.

I'm also interested in checking out True Detective: Night Country, now that all six episodes are out. I watched the first episode when it went up last month just to get a vibe for the season, and I really liked its wintry darkness, in contrast to the first season's (the only one I've seen) sweaty bayou bloke and hillbilly horror vibes. The only thing that makes me nervous is hearing that the finale on this one apparently isn't the greatest, lol. Hopefully it makes for a neat watch anyway!

@big lantern ghost @Yamanoi:

jbms2iZ.gif

Ayy, thanks for bumping the thread @Aurc, I didn't even realize this was here! I was gushing about Mr and Mrs Smith in the Film Chat thread because I didn't know we had a tv one. 😅

Also HOLY COW YES THE BEAR

I recently watched and loved S3 of Slow Horses on Apple TV+ and S1 of Deadloch (Aussie comedy whodunnit) on Prime.
Both highly recommended.

Yay! I've been waiting for someone else to post so it's not just me talking about the frankly too-much-TV I watch into the ether.

Awesome to see love for The Bear already! I need to watch season two still but before I do that, I want to highlight Canada's Darling: Matty Matheson. Been awesome to see him have success with both acting and producing in addition to being a truly unhinged food personality!

@Aurc I loved Night Country, it's my fave True Detective! I was shocked to see so many people didn't like the ending, I thought it was so good. Amazing that Issa López is ripping some Alan Wake II. Let's get Sam Lake in Season 5!

@Yamanoi Here is my ultimate "you should watch Twin Peaks" pitch for you: Warren Frost, Susan's dad from Seinfeld, plays Doc Hayward in Twin Peaks, which his son Mark Frost co-created! Grace Zabriskie is there too! Seinfeld!

@Mekanos It really cannot be overstated how big an impact The Sopranos left on TV. I want to rewatch it sometime soon, now that I have The Sopranos Sessions, so I can bounce between the show and the book. Also hilarious observation about Melfi lmao

@chocolate_supra After Atlanta I vowed to watch anything Donald Glover does, so I gotta get on that.

Yay! I've been waiting for someone else to post so it's not just me talking about the frankly too-much-TV I watch into the ether.

Awesome to see love for The Bear already! I need to watch season two still but before I do that, I want to highlight Canada's Darling: Matty Matheson. Been awesome to see him have success with both acting and producing in addition to being a truly unhinged food personality!

@Aurc I loved Night Country, it's my fave True Detective! I was shocked to see so many people didn't like the ending, I thought it was so good. Amazing that Issa López is ripping some Alan Wake II. Let's get Sam Lake in Season 5!

@Yamanoi Here is my ultimate "you should watch Twin Peaks" pitch for you: Warren Frost, Susan's dad from Seinfeld, plays Doc Hayward in Twin Peaks, which his son Mark Frost co-created! Grace Zabriskie is there too! Seinfeld!

@Mekanos It really cannot be overstated how big an impact The Sopranos left on TV. I want to rewatch it sometime soon, now that I have The Sopranos Sessions, so I can bounce between the show and the book. Also hilarious observation about Melfi lmao

@chocolate_supra After Atlanta I vowed to watch anything Donald Glover does, so I gotta get on that.
business-two-vote-election-2-14466-1473474329-1_dblbig.jpg

Oh yeah, my friend did tell me about Matty Matheson being a bomb-ass Jeff! That's pretty rad. I'll have to look up some of his stuff on YouTube.

Great to hear TD S4 has your endorsement. My worries have dissipated a bit, as a result! I'll be sure to post about it in this thread.
Staff Communication
Please refrain from posting Seinfeld images in the TV ST when there's a SF ST by the same OP (BLG). TY 🙂 - Jerry Seinfeld, Elaine Benes, Cosmo Kramer, George Costanza

@Aurc there is a problem with my Yeah! button I can only give your Very Good Post a single Yeah! please advise

@chocolate_supra Matty is such a joy. He'll show you how to make delicious $2 drunk noodles...

...but he also runs places like the Prime Seafood Palace in Toronto! I haven't been YET but it (the place and the food) look, like, stunningly beautiful.

I63mmHZ.jpg

za3ybWy.png

e6oLnes.png

Shōgun premiered last night, anyone thinking of checking it out? I think it looks great:

I'm gonna check out the first two eps tonight or tomorrow.

It's apparently extremely good. Like, top shelf good. I'm curious about it 👀

Totally unrelated, but I wonder how many here have seen Chernobyl. I watched it early last year (around the time there was some Craig Mazin buzz, as a result of the TLoU show having just come out), and it's up there among the best things I've ever seen. Horribly bleak and haunting in tone, but captivating all the way through. I still think about it, and I feel I'm due for a rewatch pretty soon. Highly recommend.

a bomb-ass Jeff!
😏
Staff Communication
Please refrain from posting Seinfeld images in the TV ST when there's a SF ST by the same OP (BLG). TY 🙂 - Jerry Seinfeld, Elaine Benes, Cosmo Kramer, George Costanza
W T F 🤣

...but he also runs places like the Prime Seafood Palace in Toronto! I haven't been YET but it (the place and the food) look, like, stunningly beautiful.

I63mmHZ.jpg

za3ybWy.png

e6oLnes.png
whooooooooa

Shōgun premiered last night, anyone thinking of checking it out? I think it looks great:

Oooh I want to!! But I'm on the fence about watching it weekly as the episodes land or waiting till they're all out so I can watch one a day instead. Weird brain shit on my part but yeah. Huge fan of Sanada so I was gonna watch it just for him but then all the reviews and buzz hit and now I'm really excited to see what's up with it.

The Curse is the best series I’ve seen in awhile (as in like…since Twin Peaks: The Return)—ended up watching it a second time because the finale was so incredible I needed my partner (who has historically quite disliked Nathan Fielder’s non-scripted stuff lol) to see it asap. such a beautiful fusion of Fielder’s form of pseudo-nonfiction and satire with Safdie’s stylistic sensibilities and realist approach to fiction. looks, sounds, and feels like nothing else on TV or streaming—really special stuff. highly recommend seeking it out. jewish anxiety cinema is in the best shape it’s ever been

also been watching the original Cosmos series with my partner: what a perfect balancing act of cosmic-scale existentialism with genuine love for human culture and knowledge-seeking. maybe the best direct product of Cold War anxiety, and still so relevant

also watched that new True Detective and thought it was pretty disastrous! but had a good time with it each week regardless lol. I gotta catch up with this new season of Curb at some point. ok that’s the slide’s tv update.

The Curse is the best series I’ve seen in awhile (as in like…since Twin Peaks: The Return)—ended up watching it a second time because the finale was so incredible I needed my partner (who has historically quite disliked Nathan Fielder’s non-scripted stuff lol) to see it asap. such a beautiful fusion of Fielder’s form of pseudo-nonfiction and satire with Safdie’s stylistic sensibilities and realist approach to fiction. looks, sounds, and feels like nothing else on TV or streaming—really special stuff. highly recommend seeking it out. jewish anxiety cinema is in the best shape it’s ever been
oh god I'm still thinking about this series weeks later. What a ride that was.

Oooh I want to!! But I'm on the fence about watching it weekly as the episodes land or waiting till they're all out so I can watch one a day instead. Weird brain shit on my part but yeah. Huge fan of Sanada so I was gonna watch it just for him but then all the reviews and buzz hit and now I'm really excited to see what's up with it.
Watched Ep 1 last night and thought it was great fwiw

Echoing the love for The Bear and Slow Horses. Good shit.

I also recently watch One Day with my wife. I thought it was very well done.

Ep 2 of Shogun was even better - get on it and watch it weekly imo. They are long, fairly dense episodes so worth letting them digest.
I am starting tonight! Very excited for it. Today I decided "Fuck it, I'll sub to Disney+ again for this" and...I guess I've already been subbed for a few months 🤣 Convenient!

Shogun seems good but I got way too much on my plate to start it ATM. Maybe after I wrap up season 5 of TNG.

literally logged on to post about Shōgun because WOW, it is SO good! i haven't watched a show since Severance that had me in a vice grip right from episode 1. this is how you spend a budget on a show; this is how you create an expansive, historic epic!

i just watched episode 3 and i will be thinking about it until episode 4 releases next week. so happy i took the dive.

anyone on the edge of watching it, i urge you to dive in as well!

Well it took six seasons, but we've finally found the mythical good Troi episode in TNG.

NTA0ODYyYmYtNzI5YS00MmZiLTk0ODMtMDlkNjllN2IyMDE2_103303dd56a731e377d01f6a37badae3.jpg

Unfortunately, Marina Sirtis had to spend the episode under Romulan makeup, but a win is a win.

Finished TNG. Despite how spotty season 7 is, that was a tremendous final episode. It's extremely hard to land the ending to a long running show, especially when the cracks begin to form in the earlier episodes of the season, but they did a fantastic job. Got emotional in the last shot at the poker game.

Well, that's TNG wrapped. A show I watched occasionally as a kid, but sat through the whole thing as an adult and loved it. With a show like that it can seem hard to live up to its legacy, but for the most part it absolutely does. Gonna take a few months off and then onward to DS9.

Finished TNG. Despite how spotty season 7 is, that was a tremendous final episode. It's extremely hard to land the ending to a long running show, especially when the cracks begin to form in the earlier episodes of the season, but they did a fantastic job. Got emotional in the last shot at the poker game.

Well, that's TNG wrapped. A show I watched occasionally as a kid, but sat through the whole thing as an adult and loved it. With a show like that it can seem hard to live up to its legacy, but for the most part it absolutely does. Gonna take a few months off and then onward to DS9.

The TNG finale is pretty much my favourite television episode of any series. It's PERFECT.

I suppose it's no surprise that garbage Picard S3 finale copied the poker scene from All Good Things, given it spent its whole season living off better Trek.

Ready for the Curb Your Enthusiasm finale tomorrow. Wild to think that the Seinfeld pilot, originally intended as a special, premiered in 1989. There were of course some sizeable gaps in the Curb run, but Larry's been in the TV biz for 35 years!

Fallen a little behind on Shōgun, loving it but it's a dense show! I feel like I need to be in the zone to really take it in.

Once both of those shows are wrapped I've got nothing until the last season of What We Do In The Shadows, which will hopefully be in the summer! Thinking I might rewatch 24 in the interim.

Curb is wrapped! I enjoyed the last season overall and had a lot of fun with the finale, it was a great "hey, thanks for watching Seinfeld and Curb for the last 30+ years" vibe. Leon's appraisal of Seinfeld absolutely sent me.

Dubbing it a "show about weekly ass" and a "fuck documentary" because Jerry has so many girlfriends was hilarious, as was him asking Jerry for the "fuck tapes" at the trial.

I am now just one behind on Shōgun, which continues to rip. Apart from the performances and storytelling (which are pretty uniformly excellent), I'm consistently impressed with how this show frames and edits around its VFX. I think it's about as seamless as it could possibly be, given the scale of what they're depicting.

back to say i just watched shōgun's penultimate episode and i... don't want it to end!!

this series has been so amazing. has anyone watched episode 9? i cannot believe the ending.

back to say i just watched shōgun's penultimate episode and i... don't want it to end!!

this series has been so amazing. has anyone watched episode 9? i cannot believe the ending.
I'm waiting till it's all on Hulu to dive in but I can't wait!!

I'm waiting till it's all on Hulu to dive in but I can't wait!!
you're in for a treat! i'm considering watching it all the way through again after all the episodes are released when i'm back from my vacation. it's just that good.

whenever i watch it, i always have the opening theme stuck in my head after. it's just so epic and dramatic, not sure if you've seen it (or want to yet lol.)

The final season of Sweet Tooth is less than two months away, premiering on June 6th

Watched the first two episodes of Fallout last night, and really enjoyed them! I felt they really nailed the balance of goofiness & violence so key to the games. They did a fantastic job on the casting; these folks understand the assignment, big time.

Back
Top Bottom