• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Tales of Arise has shipped 1.5 million copies

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him

Congrats to Bandai Namco and the Tales of Arise team. Well deserved (and does not appear to be an overshipment)

Hey Namco, you want more sales? Bring it to Switch, we'll give you at least 1m extra sales. (I'm pretty sure they are planning a port but it'll take time. I'm willing to wait)

Hey Namco, you want more sales? Bring it to Switch, we'll give you at least 1m extra sales. (I'm pretty sure they are planning a port but it'll take time. I'm willing to wait)
Tales of Arise would be a Day 1 for me if they ported it to Switch

Glad its performing well for them. I have to jump back in, was getting side tracked with Metroid for a bit

Hey Namco, you want more sales? Bring it to Switch, we'll give you at least 1m extra sales.
So we are at that phase already

That's pretty great actually. Wonder how legs will be..

Vesperia has 2.8M between the two releases so it wont be the best selling Tales game anytime soon.

Very good, glad to hear it.

I mostly enjoyed my time with the game, but that last third is rough, I can't bring myself to slog through it lol.

I mostly enjoyed my time with the game, but that last third is rough, I can't bring myself to slog through it lol.
I feel this is a consistent issue with Tales games lol, I've only played Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, Berseria and Arise but they all lose steam at the end.

I stopped playing soon after the end of Realm 5, not because I didn't want to continue, exactly, but other things just kind of came up and I haven't felt a strong urge to go back to it. I'm sure I will at some point, but yeah, the pacing of Arise is just SO WEIRD.

And 1.5 million is great, although not quite as high as I thought it might be by now. I'm pretty happy, though. What I want most is for the game to do well enough that we get a new game (eventually) along with some more remasters (hopefully for Switch).

Having a worldwide launch really helps games like this reach their full sales potential.

My first Tales game. Loved it.
The extra budget really did wonders in attracting my attention.

I hope there isn't a direct sequel.

Haven’t played it but after playing several of the previous ones in the series, I’m glad this got the sales bump it needed- amazing what an increased budget and focus on presentation can do.

I stopped playing soon after the end of Realm 5, not because I didn't want to continue, exactly, but other things just kind of came up and I haven't felt a strong urge to go back to it. I'm sure I will at some point, but yeah, the pacing of Arise is just SO WEIRD.

And 1.5 million is great, although not quite as high as I thought it might be by now. I'm pretty happy, though. What I want most is for the game to do well enough that we get a new game (eventually) along with some more remasters (hopefully for Switch).
That's pretty much exactly what happened for me lol, I got sidetracked after the fifth realm with Dread, and then I just have had trouble getting myself back into it since

That's pretty much exactly what happened for me lol, I got sidetracked after the fifth realm with Dread, and then I just have had trouble getting myself back into it since
Yep, that's it exactly. And as much as I've enjoyed parts of it, the pacing and odd rushing of a lot of the plot has thrown me off. Still a fun game, and I'd like to finish it eventually!

Yep, that's it exactly. And as much as I've enjoyed parts of it, the pacing and odd rushing of a lot of the plot has thrown me off. Still a fun game, and I'd like to finish it eventually!
Yeah I've completed one major area/dungeon since then, and it's not even like I wasn't having fun, I just don't feel like going back to it more than anything lol. The story is in this weird spot where there's obviously a lot left to cover, but it feels like it's finished, so all the momentum has dispersed, which makes getting back into the swing of things a bit bizarre.

I ended up mixed on the game because of the second act, but the first half was amazing and overall a great step forward for the series, so I’m glad to see it doing well. Hopefully they can follow through all the way to the end with the next game.

I ended up mixed on the game because of the second act, but the first half was amazing and overall a great step forward for the series, so I’m glad to see it doing well. Hopefully they can follow through all the way to the end with the next game.
I’m there with you. The second act ruined the game for me. I was shocked as to how sour I was in the game after I beat it because Tales games usually stick the landing extremely well.

I'm gonna be skipping on the game unless something sways me, but I'm actually pretty glad to see it's doing well as a JRPG fan.

It's been frustrating to see lots of bizarrely dismissive comments aimed at Japanese games, so it's good to see games be financial and/or critical successes.

That's pretty great actually. Wonder how legs will be..

Vesperia has 2.8M between the two releases so it wont be the best selling Tales game anytime soon.
I wouldn't say not any time soon. This game shipped/sold 1.5M in just over one month and pre holiday season. 3M LTD seems very plausible sooner than later.

I’m there with you. The second act ruined the game for me. I was shocked as to how sour I was in the game after I beat it because Tales games usually stick the landing extremely well.

It’s jarring how hard it drops. First act I was feeling like it had a shot at being my favourite game this year (in a pre-SMT V world), but the second act almost feels like a different game.

I wouldn't say not any time soon. This game shipped/sold 1.5M in just over one month and pre holiday season. 3M LTD seems very plausible sooner than later.
JRPGs tend to be frontloaded in sales. But Arise could leg out another million or million and a half (definitely if it gets a late Switch port)

It’s jarring how hard it drops. First act I was feeling like it had a shot at being my favourite game this year (in a pre-SMT V world), but the second act almost feels like a different game.
Honestly... that's kind of what I want? So maybe I'll like the second act more once I get back to it. I don't get the love for the first act of the game (gameplay aside, of course, it's still fun to play and pretty and all that!). It felt like an overly-straightforward, terribly-paced plot that put all the emphasis in the wrong places so none of the story moments really landed properly.

The story twists that start popping up near the end of Realm 4 and into Realm 5 had me going "Okay, THIS is more what I'm talking about!"

Honestly... that's kind of what I want? So maybe I'll like the second act more once I get back to it. I don't get the love for the first act of the game (gameplay aside, of course, it's still fun to play and pretty and all that!). It felt like an overly-straightforward, terribly-paced plot that put all the emphasis in the wrong places so none of the story moments really landed properly.

The story twists that start popping up near the end of Realm 4 and into Realm 5 had me going "Okay, THIS is more what I'm talking about!"

When I say it feels like a different game, I mean like the overall quality is objectively worse. Story pacing grinds to a halt and the narrative is all over the place with skits, a lot of the twists would've been cool, but I feel like they gave them away, and I saw most of them coming (although this could be more YMMV), and the gameplay falls off a cliff (dungeon design becomes very uninspired and to make up for it, it felt like they just crammed in more of the giant encounters, which IMO are the worst battles in the game). I hyped myself for certain things near the end of the first act, but those were a letdown as well.

Pretty much the only thing I loved in the second half of the game was the ending of the story, which was really good.

That's not how JRPG sales trajectory goes usually and there's nothing that indicates this game would change that.

They're very frontloaded and a few have some legs if WoM and media reception are great (which both would apply to this game) but it's usually not a world breaker post the first month or so, I do expect it to add sales quite a bit up through the holidays though. But 3M I cant see anytime soon. Lifetime? Yeah I could see that happening - there's plenty of ways to increase sales, cheaper sku, DLC, Possible Switch version and so on.

That's not how JRPG sales trajectory goes usually and there's nothing that indicates this game would change that.

They're very frontloaded and a few have some legs if WoM and media reception are great (which both would apply to this game) but it's usually not a world breaker post the first month or so, I do expect it to add sales quite a bit up through the holidays though. But 3M I cant see anytime soon. Lifetime? Yeah I could see that happening - there's plenty of ways to increase sales, cheaper sku, DLC, Possible Switch version and so on.
There's plenty that would indicate that. Recent Tales games have had what could be considered relatively slow but steady legs. Look back and follow the trend of sales for Tales of Berseria and Vesperia DE. Neither sold nearly as much as Arise at launch, but both crawled to 2M (or at least close to it for Vesperia) across 2 years. If Arise is selling 1.5 in the first month, there's no way it's just halting at 2M in its lifetime, even without Switch.

There's plenty that would indicate that. Recent Tales games have had what could be considered relatively slow but steady legs. Look back and follow the trend of sales for Tales of Berseria and Vesperia DE. Neither sold nearly as much as Arise at launch, but both crawled to 2M (or at least close to it for Vesperia) across 2 years. If Arise is selling 1.5 in the first month, there's no way it's just halting at 2M in its lifetime, even without Switch.
Nothing you wrote disputes what I said.

You claimed it would hit 3M sooner than later, and slow and steady isnt sooner rather than later. I said it wouldnt anytime soon because of JRPG trajectory but could get there over time due to good reviews and WoM and possible cheaper price, more skus and more content. And I stand by that.

It's no longer charting at retail Japan, which requires 1657 sales to hit top 30.
It's not charting on a few select weekly rankings we have availible in Spain, UK
It's #1744 on Steam best sellers.

What exactly is indicating it would reach 3M sooner rather than later?

1M in 6 days
1.5M in 48 days

Those are very very nice numbers, especially for a JRPG, but looking at the above charts it certainly doesnt look like it's keeping pace.

I never mentioned anything about 2M, which is a slamdunk with current SKUs alone but there's a pretty big leap between 2M and 3M

I liked the Overall package.

However it's the First time that I put in the Easiest dificult in a Tales game because I didn't Enjoy the gameplay. Even skipped the post game because the ending closed the way I liked.

Hope they take the criticism and improve the next,

Nothing you wrote disputes what I said.

You claimed it would hit 3M sooner than later, and slow and steady isnt sooner rather than later. I said it wouldnt anytime soon because of JRPG trajectory but could get there over time due to good reviews and WoM and possible cheaper price, more skus and more content. And I stand by that.

It's no longer charting at retail Japan, which requires 1657 sales to hit top 30.
It's not charting on a few select weekly rankings we have availible in Spain, UK
It's #1744 on Steam best sellers.

What exactly is indicating it would reach 3M sooner rather than later?

1M in 6 days
1.5M in 48 days

Those are very very nice numbers, especially for a JRPG, but looking at the above charts it certainly doesnt look like it's keeping pace.

I never mentioned anything about 2M, which is a slamdunk with current SKUs alone but there's a pretty big leap between 2M and 3M
I thought it was pretty clear I meant lifetime sales when I said LTD.

This game visually looks like something that might have trouble running on the Switch without a lot of work. Berseria on the other hand is very doable since it had a PS3 version in Japan.

Good to see Tales doing really well. I’m happy to hear it. Series deserves it.

Also I want to chime in and say that the second half of Tales games can be a slog or in some cases overly padded with dungeons being a pain at times. A good example is Vesperia because oh boy was it padded lmao. Also while Berseria had great character and a good story, the gameplay could be a slog at times especially during dungeons. I love the series but damn sometimes I do wish they could streamline it someway.

I wanna say it’s a hallmark of the series, but I’ve seen this issue with a lot of Jrpg series and it doesn’t necessarily bother me tbh. Then again it’s probably because I play Falcom games where the dungeons are long af and a slog lol. Like it’s really hard to find series that excel at dungeons tbh. The only series that I think excel at dungeons at a high level are Etrian Odyssey and SMT.

I also think if Jrpg were like 20 hours like say Chrono Trigger (A strong example of short and sweet) it would also help streamline games a lot imo. Like when a game is 50 hours + at a certain point dungeons can become a slog and certain areas feel padded even if the gameplay is fun. Like a good example of a game that has no right being long is Persona 5. Great game from what I played since I dropped it due to the length but it being 100+ hours long has to be draining lmao.

Also forgive me for my tangent and being off topic. I might makes this into a topic tbh because it’s definitely interesting.

Does that make it the best selling game in the series or eventually that over time? What a wonder making the game not look like an early PS3 game and having a worldwide launch does

Does that make it the best selling game in the series or eventually that over time? What a wonder making the game not look like an early PS3 game and having a worldwide launch does
As others have said, it's not yet the best selling game of the series. It could leg it out to become the best selling though (it definitely has had a very impressive launch though).

As others have said, it's not yet the best selling game of the series. It could leg it out to become the best selling though (it definitely has had a very impressive launch though).
Considering how much bigger gaming is these days and how I've never heard so much fervor for a Tales game before, I definitely expect that eventually

This game visually looks like something that might have trouble running on the Switch without a lot of work. Berseria on the other hand is very doable since it had a PS3 version in Japan.
They did a really good job with Kakarot and Ni No Kuni II. Sure, Arise is a step above from those but with right sacrifices it can run on Switch smoothly. QLOC should do the job again.

Also yes, Namco needs to announce a Zestiria/Berseria collection for all platforms asap. I still don't understand why they failed to cash in on Vesperia's hype with that.

Also I want to chime in and say that the second half of Tales games can be a slog or in some cases overly padded with dungeons being a pain at times. A good example is Vesperia because oh boy was it padded lmao. Also while Berseria had great character and a good story, the gameplay could be a slog at times especially during dungeons. I love the series but damn sometimes I do wish they could streamline it someway.

I wanna say it’s a hallmark of the series, but I’ve seen this issue with a lot of Jrpg series and it doesn’t necessarily bother me tbh. Then again it’s probably because I play Falcom games where the dungeons are long af and a slog lol. Like it’s really hard to find series that excel at dungeons tbh. The only series that I think excel at dungeons at a high level are Etrian Odyssey and SMT.

I also think if Jrpg were like 20 hours like say Chrono Trigger (A strong example of short and sweet) it would also help streamline games a lot imo. Like when a game is 50 hours + at a certain point dungeons can become a slog and certain areas feel padded even if the gameplay is fun. Like a good example of a game that has no right being long is Persona 5. Great game from what I played since I dropped it due to the length but it being 100+ hours long has to be draining lmao.

Also forgive me for my tangent and being off topic. I might makes this into a topic tbh because it’s definitely interesting.
I think it really depends on what you want in an RPG dungeon. To me, a good JRPG dungeon is long and with a lot of puzzles and things to do other than fighting. Games like Symphonia and Abyss do this really well, as does Persona 5. I LOVE the dungeons in Persona 5 even if they are a bit long and the puzzles are a bit easy. Even if it's more of an action RPG, I think CrossCode for example has excellent dungeons with mind-bending puzzles. I feel like this is where the Tales series has taken its biggest step down since Vesperia, basically Xillia and onward has fallen into the "all dungeons are just long same-y corridors full of enemies with literally nothing to do but fight and grab the occasional treasure".

Then again, it's definitely a preference thing! I know a lot of people who HATE puzzle-y RPG dungeons and want them to just be more focused on combat, and that's totally fair. For me, the closer an RPG dungeon gets to being basically a Zelda dungeon but full of RPG combat, the better.

It's funny that you bring up Persona 5. Even though that game is waaay longer than Tales of Arise, I enjoyed the second half of that game immensely. It really comes down to the quality of the dungeon design, whether you can keep the story and characters interesting, and the pacing. It's true that some games being shorter would definitely help them, but the real issue is padding vs. quality content. I don't think a 70+ hour JRPG with quality content from start to finish would be a better game if you cut out half the content and got it to 35 hours. I can think of long games like Xenoblade X, which I played for like 130 hours, but I was super engaged from start to finish.

They can be draining for sure and difficult to play depending on your circumstances (it would've taken me ages to play Persona 5 too if I wasn't at home for 2 months last year due to the pandemic when Royal dropped), but that's a separate issue imo. Ultimately, if a game has 100+ hours of really good content and that's the team's vision, I don't want them to compromise.

Back
Top Bottom