• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Take two Nintendo games and swap their genres to produce the best result possible.

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
The idea is simple, take two Nintendo games or Nintendo-published games and swap their genres. Do something funny if you want, but it would be cool if the result would be legit incredible. Go wild!

My pick: Swap Star Fox and Xenoblade. Star Fox has great characters - four pilots with distinct personalities and great chemistry. Exploring them in a deeper and more thorough manner in a lengthy, intricate RPG, with classes and fighting styles that matches their personalities, would be something special indeed.

And Xenoblade would just make for a great space shooter.

Zelda and Fire Emblem.

Single player game starring one of the FE Lords and a tactical RPG featuring the many heroes and protectors of Hyrule.

Animal Crossing and Pokemon.

Animal Crossing becomes a turn-based RPG, where mischievous spirits from an unearthed relic possess all the gyroids on your island, causing them to go berserk. Some of those gyroids even end up possessing residents of your cozy hamlet! And you need to save them all, by capturing the gyroids and making them fight.

Pokemon becomes a life sim. Might as well take all the cues you can from Concierge-- you become the manager of an island, and Pokemon villagers will come to settle there, and you get to be buds and fish together and everything.

Splatoon Crossing

- Join the inklings in their daily lives. Your favourite idols show up for festivals and holidays.

- The animal villagers have gone mad and started painting the town.

Animal Crossing and Pokemon.

Animal Crossing becomes a turn-based RPG, where mischievous spirits from an unearthed relic possess all the gyroids on your island, causing them to go berserk. Some of those gyroids even end up possessing residents of your cozy hamlet! And you need to save them all, by capturing the gyroids and making them fight.

Pokemon becomes a life sim. Might as well take all the cues you can from Concierge-- you become the manager of an island, and Pokemon villagers will come to settle there, and you get to be buds and fish together and everything.
Great idea, especially as the original animal crossing started of as a RPG where you had to rely on the power of Animals, a similiar concept to Pokémon. I‘d really love it and it doesn’t seem impossible to happen, since both Animal Crossing and Pokémon are very popular and it‘d also be kinda fitting.

I'd actually like an Animal Crossing type of Pokemon game a lot, I think. Just chill, build a little town/settlement, maybe have a Safari Zone, decide what kind of Pokemon wander around, set up a gym, etc. Sounds like a blast.

Star Fox Tactics sounds good to me too. Like Mario + Rabbids or even Fire Emblem - maybe Mario/Rabbids gameplay with the kind of social/base stuff that are in recent FE games.

That's a super fun idea for a thread!
And Xenoblade would just make for a great space shooter.
WITH GIANT ROBOTS

I see y'all's Animal Crossing and Pokemon swapping places (which I absolutely love btw) and raise you: Animal Crossing and Kirby swapping places. Kirby gets to be mayor of a town full with Waddle Dees and other Kirby allies (think that minigame in Forgotten Kingdom but more), while we get Isabelle & Co to star in a platformer. You get to acquire different powers by making friends with different villagers and eventually go up against the root of evil capitalism Tom Nook.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the details for the Animal Crossing side of things if I'm honest. I just want that Kirby life sim :LOL:

Zelda and Game & Watch is another one. Zelda would just be an archaic mini-game collection, which could work really well with, say, a couple of Majora's Mask's minigames.

But this makes Game & Watch a sprawling, multi-layered, gameplay experience unlike any other, with a vast world to explore and tons of challenges to undertake, a wonder of discovery and adventure where each journey is yours and yours alone.

Splatoon Crossing

- Join the inklings in their daily lives. Your favourite idols show up for festivals and holidays.

- The animal villagers have gone mad and started painting the town.

In it just for Pearl and Marina replacing the Able Sisters.

But this makes Game & Watch a sprawling, multi-layered, gameplay experience unlike any other, with a vast world to explore and tons of challenges to undertake, a wonder of discovery and adventure where each journey is yours and yours alone.
And you still play as the little black stick figure :D

Star Fox Adventures and F-Zero.

An Action adventure in the world of F-Zero starring Captain Falcon as the main character.

An Ultra Fast racing Game with starwings.

Wario Land 3 and Kid Icarus Uprising

Kid Icarus becomes a cartoon-y platformer with some puzzle-solving/metroidvania elements, Wario Land becomes a 4th wall-breaking on-rails shooter/third person action game because why not

Splatoon and Mario + Rabbids. Splatoon gets a single player tactics game and Mario + Rabbids gets a PvP shooter.

Metroid and Luigi’s Mansion:

- Samus gets a bounty to clear out an old forgotten research facility full of metroids that she has to search and destroy ala Luigi’s Mansion ghosts - her charge beam could work similar to Luigi’s vacuum to take down their health, etc.

- Luigi stars in a 2D metroidvania with his trusty vacuum as his weapon, and he gets all kinds of weapon and traversal upgrades as he blasts ghosts and explores a giant mansion map

Mario Vs Donkey Kong and Splatoon
-MVDK: There are two teams that could be joined, team DK and team Mario. Team DK had Donkey, Diddy, Dixie, K. Rool, and Funky, while Team Mario has Mario, Luigi, Pauline, Bowser, and Yoshi. Each character has different stats, but function mostly the same. The hub world is a child’s playroom with toys and figures all around the floor, and the hub world is the place to buy and share cosmetics. Each character has unique cosmetics and outfits for their pants, shirts, hats, cosmetics, and weapons. The main gameplay has teams of six toys going against each other in a variety of rooms throughout the house, with different hazards on toys being seen in each level. For instance in the bathroom level there is a controllable battle ship in the tub, a human will come and sit on any poor toys fighting on the toilet, and the player could trip on spilled water on the ground. The win condition changes depending on the mode, with some modes being based upon the amount of land a team could control, some being based on if a team could destroy/defend a central structure, etc. Following the main match, a final one Vs one between the two best people on each team occurs, with the best players controlling the actual Mario/ Donkey Kong. Weapon selection and “splatfests“ (would obviously be renamed) work exactly like how they work in Splatoon, and the game would emphasizing a variety of weapon types. Pop guns, blunderbusts, bullet bill canons, swords, paint brushes, vacuum cleaners, and more would be available. Beyond the main mode there would be a pachinko machine where the player could get accessories and extra super secret characters, alongside a story mode that sees the toys fighting against an evil company who has bought the Mario toy company to make evil toys.

-Splatoon: A puzzle game in the Splatoon style, sacrificing the series usual multiplayer focus with a 100% emphasis on single player. Stages are no longer in a random void, and great care is placed into making the games locations feel like the exist in the world of Splatoon. Inking walls at the correct time and in the right places with a limited supply of paint is a major part of this game. Another initiative of this game is to increase the usually lackluster amount of enemies and hazards in Splatoon campaigns, with over 80 unique obstacles being seen. Lore is also a huge focus, with scrolls and ancient textbooks serving as optional collectibles requiring taking challenging alternate paths during levels. The base game is extremely approachable in terms of difficulty, as splatoon has always been a “for all ages” franchise, however post game levels require an intense understanding of core mechanics

kirby and metroid

no explanation needed on how fire this would be.

(ig you could ask for one if you want)

Zelda and Golden Sun

both have much more focus on puzzles than there contemporaries, they would fit together like a glove.

and it would be interesting seeing what a party in tloz would look like, i think the nextmainline zelda might have on tbh

this gives me an idea for another thread

Animal Crossing seems a popular game to genre swap with, so let’s pair it up with… Fire Emblem:
  • from the FE side, considering how some aspect of the modern titles’ popularity is the social / hub / monastery, there’s probably a lot of hidden depth to expanding this into a full game. Personally I’d think something like Fire Emblem Heroes’ Aether Resort (cast wise) but with systems closer to a monastery/Somniel, and substitute the stat parameters used in battle events (tower of trials / visiting friend duels) with more social stats as such. Whether it’d be something like a post mainline game world where you help each character develop that part of the country/countries after their respective continent spanning war, or go all in on the multiverse aspect of Askr/Zenith etc, take your pick.
  • from the AC side, I guess it depends on who the antagonistic force is. Nook? Some rare visiting villager? Resetti? The breadth of the context’s conflict could range from a limited forest village, to an island, to a continent depending on how ambitious it could be. The avatar system is all set up and recruitment etc can occur reasonably easily since travellers could represent any sort of faction. In terms of the combat mechanics I suppose the Pocket would substitute for each character’s inventory, buildings would possibly act as buildable defense terrain, etc - as for permadeath? Not super sure on that front.

Specific; give me Samus in Mario's position in Mario Odyssey. I want to get temporary powers from other creatures to help myself in a metroidvania and sequence break with good enough game knowledge and scooping up cool ass combos

Zelda and Game & Watch is another one. Zelda would just be an archaic mini-game collection, which could work really well with, say, a couple of Majora's Mask's minigames.
So, this is actually my dream game? As in, I've thought about what this game would be like since I was 7 years old and first played the gambling game in the original Legend of Zelda. As in, actually started to make it (without the Zelda bits) when I was learning programming as a teenager.

The amount of effort it is currently taking me to not derail this thread with a complete pitch for this game is insane.

I will beat this drum until the end of time… give me a Kirby RPG in the style of Mario RPGs. The copy abilities have great potential as a sort of quick swapping class system. Based on what I know of Kirby lore, the “stories” already lend themselves well to an RPG set up. Also the enemy designs would lend themselves well to a paper Mario-esque partner system.

Back
Top Bottom