• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Take-Two’s Private Division and Game Freak partner for new IP

I read that as "pirate division" and my first thought leapt to sea shanties and shanghai adventures and realized "wait, it's all to stop piracy between the biggest games of GTA and Pokemon" and now I realize it's something else entirely. This was a roller coaster.

If it comes to Switch, I'd love to check it out!

I don't understand why Take Two announces these partnerships so many years in advance, a lot of these games never come out or are dropped by Take Two by the time they're finished.

FY2026 release lol

giphy.gif

GF did some non-Nintendo work but they're not to ones I want to see "unchained". IntSys and HAL could have been more interesting. I wonder if it'll ever be possible for them.

Maybe they’re trying to strike something noticeable to get away from Pokémon.

That art already looks more interesting than anything they’ve previously worked on.

2026... well, they'll have more time to develop this ambitious game than their usual Pokémon games so it's a win somehow...

arent they located in the same office as nintendo now? I don't think this implies a seperation

I mean, GameFreak's track record for non-Pokemon games is...not stellar to say the least. At least recently

I'm one of the few people who'll argue that GameFreak are fairly talented developers working under very strict conditions that make that not super apparent, but not sure about this one

Well......that's good they still let some of the devs there at GF create other games.

Wdym… they have the whole system (called Gear or something like that) in GF where they let the dev develop their own game ideas and any body can join the project if they want and GF will help publish it.

I'm guessing PD is providing funding and access to multiplatform help. jumping into current gen (and Drake, maybe) with their level of expertise would only end in disaster

also, maybe this is their UE5 project

Their record on non Pokemon games is not great, but it's pretty oddball that Nintendo is not involved.

Could be trying to gain more experience, learn some new 3D technique with more powerful hardware before applying it Pokemon on more limited hardware.

After all, their whole motive behind GEAR project is to let their developers gain experience and ideas for Pokemon.

Why's everyone down on GameFreak?

They've made some great non-Pokemon games. (Drill Dozer, HarmoKnight, Pocket Card Jockey, Tembo the Badass Elephant)

Their last four (technically five) last non-Pokémon releases were without Nintendo involvement.
For sure. It still throws me every time I see it happen though. I actually thought Little Town Hero had been Nintendo published, but looks like they did it themselves.

I wonder how big is the team. Game Freak isn't a big studio and they already have 2 dedicated teams for Pokémon.

The IGN write up of the story has some interesting wording

Game Freak, the studio best-known for Pokémon, is partnering with Private Division in what appears to be its first major foray into the AAA action-adventure space.
Private Division announced that it is working with Game Freak on Project Bloom, an "ambitious" new action-adventure game. In a statement, Game Freak director Kota Furushima said that fans can expect something very different from its usual monster collecting fare.

As much as technical mess SV was, it was still pokemon, there is safety net (I loved the games fwi). But a new ip that's "ambitious", idk. insert doubt meme

The IGN write up of the story has some interesting wording

As much as technical mess SV was, it was still pokemon, there is safety net (I loved the games fwi). But a new ip that's "ambitious", idk. insert doubt meme
did GF/PD even say AAA or is IGN just assuming? because PD doesn't do AAA games, they do creator own games, which don't get AAA budgets

did GF/PD even say AAA or is IGN just assuming? because PD doesn't do AAA games, they do creator own games, which don't get AAA budgets
The AAA speculation comes from IGN.

PD and GF said "ambitious" in the press release. Which is not saying much given the scope of previous Gear Projects

Didn't Take Two just lay off most of the people working on the Private Division publishing label? It seemed like they were winding it down rather than adding bit or long-term projects like this.

I remember hearing during SwSh Natdex drama about interviews where they call GearBox their top priority, and want to make something as big as Pokemon. Now, given some of the experimentation we've seen in PLA and SV I don't think I'd agree that GF is just coasting by and doesn't care about Pokemon, but I am curious to see if anything else could at least be a big hit (like 5 mil+), as big seems genuinely unfathomable to me.

Didn't Take Two just lay off most of the people working on the Private Division publishing label? It seemed like they were winding it down rather than adding bit or long-term projects like this.
given how expensive AAA development has become, every big publish has jumped back into AA publishing with initiatives like this. I doubt T2 wants to throw away schedule filler because they won't be getting their money makers faster out any time soon

I'm guessing PD is providing funding and access to multiplatform help. jumping into current gen (and Drake, maybe) with their level of expertise would only end in disaster

also, maybe this is their UE5 project
What makes you think it will release on Nintendo platforms :p. Be prepared for another Tembo......

Back
Top Bottom