• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Tactics Ogre Reborn leaked on PS Store (UPDATE: new details, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems like the kind of SE game that would get a direct announcement

8f5z.jpg

cq2d.jpg

THAT ARTSTYLE

Akihiko Yoshida never misses

This the SNES original, or the PS sequel? I don't know if this artwork is brand new or not, I just know of Let Us Cling Together
Sequel was on GBA, The Knights of Lodis, made by Nintendo and Quest. That game belongs to Nintendo, they get to decide where it goes.
Looks excellent, are we assuming this is a remake of Let Us Cling Together?
There is only one Tactics Ogre game that Square owns: Let Us Cling Together. The sequel (or was it midquel?) belongs to Nintendo.

i gotta stay calm, gotta stay calm...

I was pretty chill with all the announcements this month thus far, including waiting for end-o-month Direct.

But if this this is what we got in store, hngggguh

This is something I've always wanted to try, so hopefully this will turn out to be a good version of it. I don't always care for the looks of some of these remasters, like that Chrono Trigger remaster looked off-putting to me. If it's a full remake then that shouldn't be a problem.

Sequel was on GBA, The Knights of Lodis, made by Nintendo and Quest. That game belongs to Nintendo, they get to decide where it goes
Wut?!?!

First I heard of this ever. So it's a Bayonetta 2-3 situation?

Anywyas I don't care what they release, if it's OB Saga I will buy the shiz outta it. The opportunity to support the IP (and thus a new entry) won't come around often.

1. It’s very funny that I was able to add this to my PS wishlist
2. I’m currently playing Crimson Shroud and want as much Yasumi Matsuno in my life as possible

Yeah, basically. Grandia is another example, IP and first two games belong to GungHo, owners of Game Arts while the third game belongs to Square-Enix.
Mannnn. NSO GBA service can't get here fast enuff.

Aside, it's got me revisiting the reception of the game

During its first week on sale, The Knight of Lodis sold over 150,000 units, reaching top place in Japanese sales charts. It continued to sell strongly into its second week. According to analytical company Media Create, the game sold just over 284,000 units, becoming one of the top forty best-selling titles of 2001.

I was under the impression that reception was underwhelming since Quest sold to Square after this game.
But no! The IP was pretty dang popular!

I was under the impression that reception was underwhelming since Quest sold to Square after this game.
But no! The IP was pretty dang popular!
I believe Quest's sale was unrelated to sales performances of their games. Even after they were acquired by Square (which became Square-Enix that year) Nintendo continued to work with them to create Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, which Nintendo co-owns with Square.

Nintendo continued to work with them to create Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, which Nintendo co-owns with Square.
Bwuh!?!
You blowing my mind today, 9volt 👉🤯

At this point, given the demonstrated success of the HD-2D initiative for multiple games in multiple (sub) genres, I gotta believe everything is on the table for discussion btwn SE and Ninty. The only thing holding them back is manpower/dev-resources.

We are quickly approaching the post NVIDIA leak era. We need them to give us another leak hit soon to keep our hopes going.

Let’s hope when they announce this, they also say that Ogre Battle 64 is coming to NSO so I don’t have to buy it on Wii U.

Sequel was on GBA, The Knights of Lodis, made by Nintendo and Quest. That game belongs to Nintendo, they get to decide where it goes.

There is only one Tactics Ogre game that Square owns: Let Us Cling Together. The sequel (or was it midquel?) belongs to Nintendo.
The Knight of Lodis would probably count as a prequel/side story. Prequel, because chronologically it definitely takes place before Let Us Cling Together. Side story, as although it doesn't explicitly have Gaiden in its title like Prince of Zenobia, it can't be classified as part of the 'main' series as it lacks an episode number.
(to recap for the readers: March of the Black Queen is episode 5, Let Us Cling Together is episode 7, and Person of Lordly Caliber is episode 6. No, episodes 1-4 were never made)

Me, a fellow tactics game enjoyer, in 2022:

elmo-fire.gif

So I like that you have a spoiler tag in the thread name - but you're also saying said spoiler in the thread title so it's kinda redundant lol.

This is cool though - very much enjoyed Triangle Strategy so I am in for another strategy game

Post like this make me think the direct is sooner than later. I know a lot of people who are excited for this game and I’m excited for them

The game doesn’t need to be on a Direct, it seems SE will have one or multiple events late June in which the game could be shown

It's going to be interesting seeing this! The Tactics Ogre games have always been pretty neat.

Bwuh!?!
You blowing my mind today, 9volt 👉🤯

And I'm about to blow your mind for a second time; it's wrong!

It is true that Nintendo co-owns Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lotus. You can see this in the copyright notice on the title screen and the back of the box. However, it's not true that Nintendo co-owns Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. The copyright only lists Square-Enix; Square fully owns it. Nintendo merely published it overseas.

'Reborn' makes me think of a mix between remaster and remake.. they could have easily called it Let us cling together remaster if it was a simple HD version

Honestly would much rather have an Ogre Battle 64 or March of the Black Queen remake. There aren’t many games in that style and the N64 cart is prohibitively expensive unless I want to buy a reproduction.

Honestly would much rather have an Ogre Battle 64 or March of the Black Queen remake. There aren’t many games in that style and the N64 cart is prohibitively expensive unless I want to buy a reproduction.
Ogre Battle 64 has a decent chance of being on NSO, I think that is the only way it will get re-released

It is true that Nintendo co-owns Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lotus. You can see this in the copyright notice on the title screen and the back of the box. However, it's not true that Nintendo co-owns Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. The copyright only lists Square-Enix; Square fully owns it. Nintendo merely published it overseas.
Square owns FFT trademark completely, and the game was published in Japan by SE (Nintendo doesn't publish Japanese third party games in Japan). I don't think it's possible to see Nintendo copyright on the back of the box. Copyright notes only denotes the ownership of trademarks, which Nintendo owns none of here. Owning the name/IP and owning a single game are not the same thing, this is the reason why the only Square game released on western Wii U VC was FFTA. Nintendo can re-release the game but they'd need Square co-operation.

Tactics Ogre The Knights of Lodis is a different story. Square acquired to rights to name "Tactics Ogre" in 2003 but the game is fully owned by Nintendo and the subtitle "The Knights of Lodis" is a Nintendo property. Nintendo should have much easier time re-releasing the game, all they need to do is licensing the "Tactical Ogre" from Square and "Atlus" names and logos.

Similar situations with Bayonetta and Grandia: Bayo 2-3 is fully owned by Nintendo but the title and logo of "Bayonetta" is a Sega trademark. Grandia III is full Square title but the rights to "Grandia" name belongs to GungHo.

Square owns FFT trademark completely, and the game was published in Japan by SE (Nintendo doesn't publish Japanese third party games in Japan). I don't think it's possible to see Nintendo copyright on the back of the box. Copyright notes only denotes the ownership of trademarks, which Nintendo owns none of here. Owning the name/IP and owning a single game are not the same thing, this is the reason why the only Square game released on western Wii U VC was FFTA. Nintendo can re-release the game but they'd need Square co-operation.

Tactics Ogre The Knights of Lodis is a different story. Square acquired to rights to name "Tactics Ogre" in 2003 but the game is fully owned by Nintendo and the subtitle "The Knights of Lodis" is a Nintendo property. Nintendo should have much easier time re-releasing the game, all they need to do is licensing the "Tactical Ogre" from Square and "Atlus" names and logos.

Similar situations with Bayonetta and Grandia: Bayo 2-3 is fully owned by Nintendo but the title and logo of "Bayonetta" is a Sega trademark. Grandia III is full Square title but the rights to "Grandia" name belongs to GungHo.

No, that's not true. Trademarks are different from copyright. The reason you don't see Nintendo's copyright on the back of the box of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is that Nintendo has no ownership over it. Even the credits of the game denote that the game is fully owned by Square-Enix. See also the Wii U re-release, which you've brought up; published by Square, not Nintendo. The reason? It's their game. Nintendo can't re-release the game because they do not own it.

Tactics Ogre is a different story, in that it's co-owned between Nintendo and Quest; Quest was bought by Square, meaning that the game is currently co-owned between Nintendo and Square. This game would need both Nintendo and Square's go-ahead to see any kind of re-release.

You also have the Bayonetta situation wrong. Bayonetta 2 and 3 are not fully owned by Nintendo; they are co-owned between Nintendo and Sega. The original Bayonetta, as well as all characters from that game, are fully owned by Sega. Bayonetta 2 and 3 (and any original elements of those titles) are co-owned between Sega and Nintendo.

Hey Square, you don't have to give this its own retail release if you don't want to. But once the FFT remaster is out, put it on a cart with Tactics Ogre Reborn and sell it as a double pack.

Kthxbye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom