• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Switch OLED Survival Guide

Long time listener first time caller.

I got a Switch OLED model this past weekend, and I need some information.

I've got a launch model Switch already with a 1TB SD card. Too many games to count, all digital - bar Ring Fit Adventure, Super Mario 3D All-Stars and Pokemon Shield.

Should I .....

a) keep Launch Model as primary console (eg docked, games library ready and available) and use the OLED Model for travel* and or titles that would make use of the OLED screen?

b) move everything, lock stock and DK barrel, to the OLED?

I am experienced with multiple 3DS system transfers. One, I did in a store, during an impulse purchase the morning I flew back home from a holiday. Left my OG model there as part of the trade-in, walked out with an XL and my library and saves intact. I was approaching this upgrade in much the same way before I understood the Account system allowed for some shared usage.

If I go with Option A, what is the best plan of attack here?

What games should be played on the OLED screen "more" than simply every other game I have?

I will get a screen protector and some sort of larger SD card in next few days or weeeks, so I won't be necessarily be using it for my daily play-sessions at least in the short term.

I'm currently picking and choosing games from my library and any potential new purchases for use on the OLED model such as:

Metroid Dread (reached the 80% mark, but might start it again with this supposed easy mode that was added in).

Doom 3 (I've effectively populated my Switch with many games I either have played on Steam or bought and never actually played on Steam)

NEO World Ends With You

Return of the Obra Dinn

Persona 4, Persona 5

And many more.....

Any thing else I should watch out for?

Move everything over and just play games in whatever way you'd like. I think you're overcomplicating this lol.

I'm personally using the ZOLED as my new main Switch but without transfering stuff over from the old launch Switch. So the old one is now basically remaining as my Pokemon console (because Pokemon doesn't allow you to use cloud saves because of course it doesn't) and sometimes travelling.

I just don't want to go back to the normal display, so my undocked/docked split now has also moved towards 80/20 xD

Hollow Knight looks fantastic on the OLED, by the way. As does Metroid Dread obviously.

I'm not really sure what the point of not using your new system would be. Are you keeping the launch Switch around so you can hack it?

The system transfer sucks. You have to download all games again, you can't simply transfer the SD card over. And if you play animal crossing there is a second, special transfer process just for your island.

However, shared usage is also kind of a nightmare? Not all games support cloud saves. Yikes.

The full transfer is probably the best experience of the two. Get yourself moved over, download the games you are primarily playing right now, then set the system up to grab the rest of them over night (or multiple nights) until you're back up to where you want to be.

Yeah, unless you have intents to hack it for homebrew there's no real reason to keep the old console around. Either sell it or gift it to a friend/family member

I was just about to recommend transferring everything to the OLED lol.

Also pick up both 13 Sentinels and GrimGrimoire; Vanillaware titles shine on an OLED screen.

I own 13 Sentinels, I bought that and Neon White at the same time which ended up taking a lot of time.

Many games I'm just a little ways in will also need a do-over methinks.

Back
Top Bottom