• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware Switch OLED - how did you feel if you upgraded?

OP keep in mind that the Animal Crossing Switch isn't OLED AFAIK, just extended battery I think? I agree it looks nice, but keep in mind the screen, storage, and lan port difference.
Oh yeah the AC switch isn't oled. It is a v2 system with better battery life tho

Out of curiosity does the oled fit the case your older switch used or did you need a new carrying case? I've read online that it is marginally wider. If hate to have to give up my river city girls carrying case.

I didn't really upgrade from my launch unit, as much as I just wanted those Splatoon joy-con. But man, that screen looks absolutely terrific and the overall build quality just feels a lot nicer.
Out of curiosity does the oled fit the case your older switch used or did you need a new carrying case? I've read online that it is marginally wider. If hate to have to give up my river city girls carrying case.
It should fit, I believe it's only 3mm wider. Which is pretty much negligible.

Yep I have my OLED in an OG case. Was worried about that too when buying a case.

Title says it all. If you owned the launch Switch or the 2019/redbox system with the better batterylife and upgraded to the OLED did you feel it was worth it? Does the better screen/speakers/build quality feel worthwhile?

I upgraded to the animal crossing system when that came out from my launch unit. That Splatoon OLED looks real nice and has been restocked and that Zelda one is coming soon....

I'm thinking about getting an OLED but wanted to hear opinions on people who made the jump. I do play a lot in handheld mode, maybe about 50/50 with docked.

I went into the OLED a little sceptical. However, nigh on everything about it is vastly superior. The build quality is so much better, and the screen far surpassed my expectations. I do not own an OLED television, so wasnt too familiar with the technology. Therefore I was pretty stunned at just how crisp and bright games looked on the system. Coupled with the far smaller bezels, I just think it's a no brainer to upgrade to if someone is financially able to. I can't stress enough how phenomenal the screen is.. its one of those you have to have it in your hands and it will be immediately noticeable

Mine does, but it is a bit of a snugger fit, so keep that in mind.

I would kill for a reedition of the Animal Crossing one with an oled screen. I love mine so much that I don’t want to use any other edition, so I miss out on that beautiful screen.

I would kill for a reedition of the Animal Crossing one with an oled screen. I love mine so much that I don’t want to use any other edition, so I miss out on that beautiful screen.

Just use the AC Joy Con on the OLED.
The back patterns aren’t as visible as the Joy Con and if you prefer the touch of it just grap the Splatoon OLED.

The OLED switch is the Switch that I would have loved from the start. I turned off the vibrant colors (too much for me) but the contrast is soo much better. As well as the kick stand, built quality.

It‘s not only OLED vs LCD, it’s OLED vs cheap LCD (not glued to digitizer like any modern phone).

Only „bad“ thing, the cheap look of the OG Switch suits the neon Joy Con, for me the OLED looks silly without the white or grey Joy Con. I had the Odyssey Joy Con since 2017, but didn’t like them on the OLED model.

Last edited:
I switched (sorry) my launch unit for an OLED one. Even if it was a bit of a luxury I mostly play portable so I needed that extra battery power. And, honestly? I can't go back.
I think someone else pointed it already in this thread but if Nintendo's new hardware doesn't have an OLED screen I'd be reticent to actually upgrade (will have to do anyway, really). Hopefully they learned.

EDIT: Also the white dock and Joy-cons (even if they start to show some uses after a few months) are beautiful imo.

Both the screen size and OLED nature of the screen was a big reason for my upgrade. Colors just pop on that screen and the screen size upgrade is really nice.
I'm like a near 99% portable person, I even play my Steam Deck more than my mid-high end Gaming PC because I can lay on the couch/bed while still playing it. If I was a mainly docked person I wouldn't care to upgrade

As someone who plays Switch 50:50 between portable and docked, it's been an amazing upgrade

The OLED has made me actually prefer to play undocked. I used to always play docked when I'm home, but the bigger screen and the punchier audio (the speakers on my monitor are extremely subpar) makes portable play match docked play in the sense of granting the games the majesty and immersion they deserve. The actual OLED aspect of it is great, as someone who loves high-contrast imagery it makes games like Link's Awakening the purest of eye candy. The 64GB storage is a gamechanger too. (No more microSD fiddle mayhem!)

I think it's understated as naturally people talk about the screen upgrade ... which is nice...
but the 64 GB of internal storage is nice as well
and the build quality is a massive step up.
Plus a boost to battery life if you had the original like I did

So update. I got a splatoon oled. I traded in my launch system plus some wii and wii u games I owned the Switch versions of, plus my playstation TV and it's games. Got an OLED and Symphonia Switch without spending any money. I booted it up to check out the screen, which looks real nice, also that kickstand, damn it's nice. I'm gonna be transferring it tomorrow.

So update. I got a splatoon oled. I traded in my launch system plus some wii and wii u games I owned the Switch versions of, plus my playstation TV and it's games. Got an OLED and Symphonia Switch without spending any money. I booted it up to check out the screen, which looks real nice, also that kickstand, damn it's nice. I'm gonna be transferring it tomorrow.
Quick recommendation: Tetris Effect Connected. It released the same day the OLED model did and is a great showcase of what that screen can do.

Also, try out the demo for the upcoming Kirby game. The colours just absolutely pop on the OLED, so much so that I'm honestly considering getting the full game. :p

Quick recommendation: Tetris Effect Connected. It released the same day the OLED model did and is a great showcase of what that screen can do.

Also, try out the demo for the upcoming Kirby game. The colours just absolutely pop on the OLED, so much so that I'm honestly considering getting the full game. :p
I'll keep an eye out for Terri's but I already got Kirby and Octopath 2 on preorder, look forward to really digging into the system later today.

Back
Top Bottom