• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Switch hits 114.33 million shipped, updated software numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
under the switch all ips have sold way more than in the past. its very unreasonable to imagine bayo will be the first exception.
It will reach the million eventually, but I don't think it did it as of 12.31.22. I would happily be wrong, but I just don't see it. The game didn't have legs and word of mouth wasn't strong.

My predictions would be:
  • Switch LTD crosses 120M and becomes the third best selling console of all time;
  • Bayonetta 3 crosses 1M;
  • Splatoon 3 crosses 10M;
  • Pokémon Scarlet and Violet crosses 17M;
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe crosses 50M;
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 crosses 2.5M;
  • Fire Emblem Engage became the fastest selling FE game ever.

Bayonetta 3 fails to hit 1 million and is absent from the report
Reported

Last edited:
The fact that there’s a reasonable chance that Pokémon S/V tops 20M sales in 1 quarter is absolutely bonkers.

Can’t wait to see the internet “discourse” if that happens!

Does anyone know what the record is for a game’s first quarter sales? GTA V, maybe?

My predictions would be:
  • Switch LTD crosses 120M and becomes the third best selling console of all time;
  • Fire Emblem Engage sell through up until last week has overtaken Three Houses LTD or at least became the fastest selling FE game ever.

Reported
You think Engage sold close to 4 million in three weeks?

The fact that there’s a reasonable chance that Pokémon S/V tops 20M sales in 1 quarter is absolutely bonkers.

Does anyone know what the record is for a game’s first quarter sales? GTA V, maybe?
The highest numbers I can think of are:
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate: 12M+ in 24 days;
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons: 13 million sell through until the first week of May/ 11 million shipped in 11 days.
  • Somebody enlighten me how much Sword and Shield did in Q3 2019? Was it over 15M or something?
EDIT:
GTA V did 29M in its first 6 weeks, by late October, but the quarter ended in September, so we have no clue.
What we know is that it did 11M launch week, which Pokémon S/V came very close to match.
I think it's safe to assume it was indeed the best selling first quarter ever for any game, and without a shadow of a doubt the fastest selling single platform number ever.

You think Engage sold close to 4 million in three weeks?
Oh I forgot the bar was that high. Gonna edit my post and only say it becomes the fastest selling lol.

Last edited:
My predictions would be:
  • Fire Emblem Engage sell through up until last week has overtaken Three Houses LTD or at least became the fastest selling FE game ever.

Reported
PokeSV had a 10mil sell thru first week, SwSh had 6mil. SwSh did over 16mil opening quarter. SV did more than 6mil in Japan sell thru and SwSh did 4.2mil shipment in japan.

18mil is absolute minimum and that's if everywhere else did flat in comparison

• Switch will be at 122.2 million
  • Pokemon Scarlet/Violet will be at 17 million
  • Splatoon 3 will be at 10.5 million
  • Bayonetta 3 will be 1 million
  • Xenoblade 3 will be at 2.1 million
  • Pokemon Legends will be at 16.5 million
  • BOTW will 29.2 million on Switch
  • MK8D will be at 51 million
  • Not sure we will get Engage numbers, since it wasn't last quarter

PokeSV had a 10mil sell thru first week, SwSh had 6mil. SwSh did over 16mil opening quarter. SV did more than 6mil in Japan sell thru and SwSh did 4.2mil shipment in japan.

18mil is absolute minimum and that's if everywhere else did flat in comparison
I yeah I did forget Sword and Shield did 16M on its first quarter. Scarlet and Violet will definitely do more or less 20M.

I'll have a crack with some predictions too:
  • Switch HW 10.2m for the quarter
  • Pokemon S/V is over 20m already
  • Legends Arceus sold another 1.5 million, is over Let's Go and BDSP
  • Bayonetta 3 hasn't sold a million yet, if it has it's only scraped over.
  • BOTW is over 29m, and it'll cross 30m by the end of this year
  • They probably won't mention engage but if they do it'll be too say it's crossed 1 million sales already

While i think engage wont reach FE3H's huge sales due to its lukewarm reception i imagine it should probably do relatively well for the post awakening standards. So... 1.5 to 1.8 million in its launch period, leading to 2.5 to 3 million lifetime sales after some good promotions and all.

Personally im waaay more hyped for the CESA White Papers report, as im so hopeful that Metroid Dread managed to overcome a rather slow start in its post launch period, reaching 3,5 million!

Excited to see Xeno 2 and Xeno 3's numbers, i imagine that 2 will be at 2,5 or 2,6 maybe 2,7/2,8 depending on whether 3 has had a significant impact on it. As for the sequel itself i wonder if it has surpassed 2 million already? Maybe if it shatters expectations it could be at 2,1 by now who knows.

Bayo 3 should be a stronger title than Astral Chain which (against forum pessimistic predictions) still managed to sell a million in its first quarter, so it should not be hard for Bayo to get a 1,2 or 1,5 million but who knows.

Last edited:
while i think engage wont reach fe3h due to the lukewarm reception i also think it should probably surpass 1.5 to 1.8 million in its launch period, leading to 2.5 to 3 million lifetime sales.

Personally im waaay more hyped for the white paper report, im so hopeful that dread managed to turn things around and reach at least 3,5 million! Excited to see Xeno 2 and 3 sales, i imagine that 2 will be at 2,5 or 2,6 maybe 2,7/2,8 if 3 has had a significant impact on it and 3 will be at 2 million? Maybe if it surpasses expectations it could be at 2,1 who knows.

Bayo 3 should be a stronger title than astral chain which still managed to sell a million in its first quarter so it should not be hard for bayo to get a 1,2 or 1,5 million but who knows.
I'm pretty sure xenoblade 2 surpassed 2.5 million several months ago, I remember seeing an article about it selling like 2.46 million or something

My predictions would be:
  • Fire Emblem Engage became the fastest selling FE game ever.
Fire Emblem: Engage was released on January 20th, it will be not be in the upcoming report. We will have to wait three months to get the sales data, FE: Three Houses shipped 2.29 million in it's 1st quarter so it will be tough to beat.

GTA V sold a stupid amount at launch probably quite a bit more than Sword and Shield, released on the 17th of September so it had two weeks worth of shipments.

For Nintendo platforms the top five opening quarters

Pokemon Sword & Shield: 16.06 million
Pokemon Sun & moon: 14.69 million
Pokemon BD/SP: 13.97 million
Pokemon Legends Arceus: 12.64 million
SSB: Ultimate: 12.08 million

Last edited:
Astral Chain shipped 1M in 4 weeks.
Astral Chain sold over a million after 4 months. It wasn't weeks. But that was still great for a new IP. Especially considering it to be in a niche genre.

Bayonetta is a more popular IP, so don't see why it wouldn't do better or even similar.

GTA V sold a stupid amount at launch probably quite a bit more than Sword and Shield, released on the 17th of September so it had two weeks worth of shipments.

For Nintendo platforms the top five opening quarters

Pokemon Sword & Shield: 16.06 million
Pokemon Sun & moon: 14.69 million
Pokemon BD/SP: 13.97 million
SSB: Ultimate: 12.08 million
AC New Horizons: 11.77 million
Thanks! This list really shows how much the gaming market has grown over the years, and how preorders and internet hype have made sales of many games much more frontloaded.

Didn’t Legends Arceus sell 12.64 million in its opening quarter? Reference: https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...by-and-the-forgotten-land-2-65m-and-more.767/

What were the best Q3 sales of Switch?

And how many units were moved on the FY until September 30th?

Switch at 122.47m
Pokemon S/V at 20m
Pokemon Legends: Arceus is at 16m
Splatoon 3 at 9.7m
Bayonetta crosses 1m

now going from the last quarter's list...

Breath of the Wild crosses 30m
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe crosses 50m, probably sitting at 54m
Animal Crossing is at 40.17m right now so maybe 44? 45?
Smash Ultimate is 32m
Super Mario Odyssey crosses 25m
Super Mario Party crosses 20m
Ring Fit Adventure is 16m

I don't think Sword/Shield, Let's Go, or BDSP get big sales bumps but I do think Arceus does. idk why.

I'm thinking that Nintendo sold 9+ million Switch in latest holiday quarter. So, total as per end December 2022 is 123 million units worldwide. It's crazy good to achieve 9 -10 million units in it's 6th holiday quarter 💪🧡

As some food for thought, the Q4(fiscal Q3) unit sales of the Switch, from highest to lowest:
  • 2020: 11,57M
    [*]
    2019: 10,81M
  • 2021: 10,67M
  • 2018: 9,41M
  • 2017: 7,23M

I don't doubt it can do 10M again.

Even if it doesn't, I think it's safe to assume it goes on to 125M at the very least until the end of the FY. Another 20M sales next FY puts it at 145M. Then it'll probably leg until reaches #1 best selling console of all time imo.

Just got news from my uncle who works next to Nintendo HQ... Bayo3 sold well beyond 10m copies.

Believe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom