• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Switch Firmware 17.0.0 released

Pokemaniac

Caught: 1025
Founder
Ver. 17.0.0 (Released October 10, 2023)

General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.
Yep, it's stability. Seemingly no controller firmware updates, but possibly a OLED dock firmware update? I see "AulaDockFirmware" on the list, but I don't have one on hand to confirm. Nope, according to @Jersh, no OLED dock firmware update.

No significant datamining seems to have taken place yet.

Last edited:
cPb.gif

why do they increase the full version number now? that used to mean the update added features but not anymore
The version number serves multiple audiences. There may not be big visible changes on retail systems, but there are probably some pretty big changes visible to developers and/or Nintendo's firmware team.

Reminder that big new version numbers don't automatically correlate to visibility of big new features to people that don't work in the firmware code.

We've arrived at the first ever major version update for Switch to have nothing in the changelog except general stability improvements.

The version number serves multiple audiences. There may not be big visible changes on retail systems, but there are probably some pretty big changes visible to developers and/or Nintendo's firmware team.
Yeah. The last few major version bumps have had almost no user-facing changes (last of those was really in 14.0.0), but they had mountains of changes on the inside, most of which are probably related to preparations for new hardware.

Yep, it's stability. Seemingly no controller firmware updates, but possibly a OLED dock firmware update? I see "AulaDockFirmware" on the list, but I don't have one on hand to confirm.
Updated outside the dock, placed it in the dock, and it said it was already up to date. So I'm going with nah, but it is strange.

why do they increase the full version number now? that used to mean the update added features but not anymore
I believe Nintendo uses something similar to Sementic Versioning for Switch system updates.

In particular
Patch version Z (x.y.Z | x > 0) MUST be incremented if only backward compatible bug fixes are introduced. A bug fix is defined as an internal change that fixes incorrect behavior.

Minor version Y (x.Y.z | x > 0) MUST be incremented if new, backward compatible functionality is introduced to the public API. It MUST be incremented if any public API functionality is marked as deprecated. It MAY be incremented if substantial new functionality or improvements are introduced within the private code. It MAY include patch level changes. Patch version MUST be reset to 0 when minor version is incremented.

Major version X (X.y.z | X > 0) MUST be incremented if any backward incompatible changes are introduced to the public API. It MAY also include minor and patch level changes. Patch and minor versions MUST be reset to 0 when major version is incremented.

So the version numbering is aimed at developers who use their documentation and a major version is used whenever there are backward incompatibile changes regardless of whether or not there are any new features for users.

Updated outside the dock, placed it in the dock, and it said it was already up to date. So I'm going with nah, but it is strange.
So probably either a rebuild for new encryption (that's a thing they do sometimes, right?) or a change in a file that doesn't get included for Switch, then. Probably the former, if that's something Nintendo does.

Yep, it's stability. Seemingly no controller firmware updates, but possibly a OLED dock firmware update? I see "AulaDockFirmware" on the list, but I don't have one on hand to confirm. Nope, according to @Jersh, no OLED dock firmware update.

No significant datamining seems to have taken place yet.
thanks Nintendo, my Nintendo Switch is so stable, that not even a bomb can scratch it(is a joke)

Warning for homebrew users

It appears that some homebrew tools made some sketchy assumptions about how to best wipe a system, which could lead to the system becoming unbootable after updating to 17.0.0 due to some changes in the save file loading process. The gist I linked above has some instructions on how to fix this issue if you encounter it.

As SciresM wrote in the gist, it seems very unlikely this was an intentional result of the change Nintendo made. It's quite probable they had no idea this would happen.

Back
Top Bottom