• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Switch 2's launch/first year lineup predictions

I think Switch to Switch 2 will be a similar transition like Game Boy to Game Boy Color, where some games will be exclusive to Switch 2 but others will be released on Switch and perform better on Switch 2. For First Year I'm predicting:

• Mario Kart 9/10 (Switch 2 only)
  • New 3D Mario (Switch 2 only)
  • Animal Crossing (Switch 2 only)
  • New Kirby game (Switch 2 only)
  • New Donkey Kong (Switch 2 only)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (Switch & Switch 2)
  • Tomodachi Life (Switch & Switch 2)
  • Mario Party Superstars 2 (Switch & Switch 2)

3rd parties will likely fill the launch lineup with ports. I'm expecting stuff like Final Fantasy XVI and another HD2D remake from Square Enix. Resident Evil from Capcom, Puyo Puyo and Sonic from SEGA. I'm also expecting everything from Switch eShop and NSO to carry over with the current sub system, but a Tier 3 will be added for systems that will be exclusive to Switch 2 (DS/3DS/Gamecube/Wii, as well as Sega CD/32x/Saturn).

• New Mario 3D
  • Fire Emblem remake
  • Mario Party
  • Zelda 2D
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X remaster
  • Kid Icarus Uprising 2

I think either the next 3D Super Mario game or Metroid Prime 4 (it it isn't 2023 or early 2024 ofc) will be the launch title. Just one of the two, Switch launch lineup already shown us it's better to space out games and have a constant flow of new releases.

I can't know for certain what I'll put on my launch year lineup prediction because I don't know if it'll come early 2024 or late 2024.

What I don't think will be on the launch lineup tho is a new Mario Kart game as I don't see that being released literally the year after DLC for 8 DX wrapped up.

I think Astral Chain 2 will come in the first year of the new console and be a cross gen game. Could even see it coming as Switch only and being patched afterwards.

A 2D Metroid is very likely to be 2024/2025 to me.

The next Animal Crossing coming early on the new console's life is very possible imo. Early 2025 even can happen.

I will die on the hill of the timed exclusive Resident Evil game coming as a cross gen title.

If the console is released in early 2024, a lot of late life Switch games will end up being cross gen(Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War remake, Donkey Kong by EPD, possibly 2D Zelda, Metroid Prime 4).

I think Nintendo will try to stack the deck as much as possible for the first 8 months in particular, but it really is a big part of the reason the Switch was a big success from the get go and Nintendo really hasn't had to sweat too much since that first year.

Mario Kart Next
New Mario or DK platformer
Metroid Prime 4
Zelda: ToTK 4K Edition w/new gameplay DLC (significant DLC)

Within the first 8-9 months.

Stinky Horse Game.

84a.gif

Jokes aside, if I were the president of Nintendo and I wanted to launch a new console in 2024, here’s what I’d set as the first-year lineup, based on previous launches and what we know about Nintendo’s current projects:
• 3D Mario on or near release. This console needs a “killer app”, and a new 3D Mario game is as good a candidate as any.
• Tech demo game by EPD (that’s not Stinky Horse)
• Some sort of indie release à la Snipperclips. Since it seems like [REDACTED] is possibly targeting a more “core” audience compared to the Switch, I’d wager it would be something less like Snipperclips and maybe more something like Hollow Knight (not Silksong—that’s coming out earlier, if it’s coming out on Switch at all now.)
• Maybe a 2D Zelda? I’m not super confident about this one, but it’s a possibility.
• New action game from Monolith Soft (assuming it’s real)
• Mario Kart 9. They can’t milk 8 forever (or maybe they can 🤷🏼), and a new Mario Kart is long overdue.
• Something from HAL Laboratory (probably not Kirby, but something from the BoxBoy team)
• Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War remake
I’m not confident predicting anything for third parties, but I assume Square Enix, Capcom and Bandai Namco will at the very least have something in store, even if it’s not Tekken or Final Fantasy or whatever.

One thing I’m confident will NOT be in the year 1 lineup, though, is Pokémon. If the rumours about the next-gen patch are real, they’re probably skipping 2024, and a new Pokémon game 2 years after a famously troubled launch is a dubious proposition anyway.

EDIT: Forgot about Good-Feel and whatever they’re working on. Don’t think it’s out of the question we see another Yoshi game for this new console. Koei Tecmo too, but I find their projects harder to predict so I left them off.

EDIT Part 2: Aaaaaaaaand I forgot about Metroid Prime 4 too. Dammit.

Last edited:
Metroid prime 4
Pokemon Black White remakes
Xenoblade X
New Mario Party
Fire emblem genealogy of the holy war
Astral Chain 2
Mario Baseball
A Link to the Past (remake)

Don't care to try and predict 3rd parties, but as far as first party games go:

• Next 3d Mario (exclusive, launch day)
  • Mario Kart 9 (exclusive)
  • New Mario Party (crossgen)
  • Next Grezzo 2d Zelda (hopefully new, but maybe another remake, crossgen)
  • 1-2-Everybody Switch or whatever the hell it's called (exclusive, reworked to not be as bad and take advantage of Switch 2's unique capabilties, whatever they may be)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (crossgen)
  • Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War remake (crossgen)
  • uhhhh idk another Pokemon thingy (crossgen)

Pikmin 4 and TOTK
Love your optimism.

Never forget Miyomoto's own words:
“When it comes to games, I don’t see the need for Zelda in 4K but for Pikmin, making it 4K compatible could possibly further show more small detailed Pikmin moving around, show things from an even further perspective, and being able to see more may make a more fun game.”

He's wrong about Zelda tho. Totally wrong.

Nintendo: New 3D Mario, metroid prime 4, zelda ww with additional content

Capcom: resident evil (exclusive)

Ubisoft: mario rabbids 3

Namco/Bandai: jump superstar W

Konami: Castlevania

Square-Enix: mario rpg hd 2d,

Sega/Atlus: Golden Axe The Revenge of Death Adder port, Valkyria Chronicles 2&3 remake

Koei/Tecmo: zelda warrior 3

Platinum: astral chain 2, mad world port

Cygames: Granblue Fantasy Re:Link port.

Warner Bros: lego stuff

Last edited:
I think this is a very hard to predict since we don't know the concept behind the next gen console.
If it is just a new member of the Switch family, I think we may not need a super strong launch lineup, just a big launch first party game, and the announcement of a couple more big first party games for the following years. Let's say a graphical showcase Mario 3D for launch day, upgrades for current games (TotK, Pokémon, Splat 3, MK8...) and 2D Zelda or Donkey Kong for 2025?

If the next gen console is going to create an entire new family of systems, then I think we'll see not only a first party exclusive title for launch day, but a monthly release of big first and third party games during the first year.

Speaking strictly from first party only…

Release Date: March 2024
New 3D Mario: March 2024
Mario Kart 9: April 2024

Later in the year I could see Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD making their appearance and possibly the new DK if it doesn’t release this year on Switch. All of them exclusive to the new hardware, of course.

Animal Crossing: 2025

Pretty strong first year for Switch 2.

Last edited:
High possibility
New 3D Mario
New casual game similar to 1-2-Switch
Zelda Totk definitive version
New Kirby 2D game

Not so high possibility
Mario Kart 8 super deluxe edition (until 9 is out)
Smash Ultimate deluxe
Splatoon 3 deluxe
Pikmin 4 deluxe
New 2D Mario
New DK

Low possiblity
Prime 4
Mario Kart 9

Back
Top Bottom