• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Super Nintendo World Hollywood Reportedly Opens March 10th with an afterparty premiere for the Super Mario Bros Movie

We know it’s real if they tweet about the riff between Chris Pratt and Charlie Day affecting the world premier that you instigated due to their fight for your fandom.
If Pratt is fighting for my fandom then he's going about it in the wrooooong way LOL

Opening on MAR10 Day is about what I’d expect for a theme park that calls itself “Super Nintendo World” but in reality is just Super Mario World (but not the video game, lol).
Yes, I’m still salty that the park only focuses on the Mario universe with absolutely nothing at all for other Nintendo IPs besides some random Pikmin cameos. =P

Last edited:
Not a reliable source though the logic behind it is sound. Open on Mario Day and promote the film that's due out a couple weeks later during the park grand opening.

Opening on MAR10 Day is about what I’d expect for a theme park that calls itself “Super Nintendo World” but in reality is just Super Mario World (but not the video game, lol).
Yes, I’m still salty that the park only focuses on the Mario universe with absolutely nothing at all for other Nintendo IPs besides some random Pikmin cameos. =P
I can understand the feeling, but the park is just starting out I think it is good to start with Mario and then build out the park with the other IPs.

In the time the park will fill out with all of our favorite IPs, we just have to be patient.

Quoted by: Tye
I can understand the feeling, but the park is just starting out I think it is good to start with Mario and then build out the park with the other IPs.

In the time the park will fill out with all of our favorite IPs, we just have to be patient.
How can that even happen when apparently the Hollywood location is already short on space and won’t even have all the attractions that Japan gets? That’s what I recall hearing, at least—if that’s somehow changed then that would be nice.

Regardless, rather than making everything Mario from the beginning (plus the first expansion also being from the Mario universe), they could have at least given us, like, a single Zelda, Pokémon, or Splatoon attraction or something like that. Even the shop is pretty much just Mario themed stuff from what I’ve seen.

And, like, I love Mario too…but when I think of a Nintendo theme park, I imagine something that actually features multiple of Nintendo’s most popular franchises at the very least, not just Mario. The wait has already been so long for this park, and by the time I’m able to visit it it’s still going to be just Mario stuff, so it’s kinda hard for me to even care about it at all…

How can that even happen when apparently the Hollywood location is already short on space and won’t even have all the attractions that Japan gets? That’s what I recall hearing, at least—if that’s somehow changed then that would be nice.

Regardless, rather than making everything Mario from the beginning (plus the first expansion also being from the Mario universe), they could have at least given us, like, a single Zelda, Pokémon, or Splatoon attraction or something like that. Even the shop is pretty much just Mario themed stuff from what I’ve seen.

And, like, I love Mario too…but when I think of a Nintendo theme park, I imagine something that actually features multiple of Nintendo’s most popular franchises at the very least, not just Mario. The wait has already been so long for this park, and by the time I’m able to visit it it’s still going to be just Mario stuff, so it’s kinda hard for me to even care about it at all…
Fair enough.

the theme park is, and likely has been throughout its development, a movie tie-in. Universal isn't making Zelda or Splatoon movies

the theme park is, and likely has been throughout its development, a movie tie-in. Universal isn't making Zelda or Splatoon movies
If it is and always was supposed to be a Mario theme park rather than a Nintendo theme park, then its name should reflect that. =P Nintendo Land it is not, sadly…

If it is and always was supposed to be a Mario theme park rather than a Nintendo theme park, then its name should reflect that. =P Nintendo Land it is not, sadly…
the problem with making a Mario theme park was always naming it. Super Mario Land? Super Mario World?

I’m going to be excited about this news so I can pretend I can go to Super Nintendo World for my birthday instead of being, like, broke.

TAKE MY MONEY NOW!

the problem with making a Mario theme park was always naming it. Super Mario Land? Super Mario World?
Super Mario Kingdom? Super Mario Universe? Super Mario Adventure? The Super Mario Experience? Or even just Super Mario World/Land; why not? There are plenty of options they could have went with if the intention was for it to be a Mario-specific theme park.

Super Mario Kingdom? Super Mario Universe? Super Mario Adventure? The Super Mario Experience? Or even just Super Mario World/Land; why not? There are plenty of options they could have went with if the intention was for it to be a Mario-specific theme park.
I think they're probably saving Kingdom and Universe for a rainy day

by calling it Super Nintendo Land they haven't used a name that would be better for a game

There's Pikmin in there tho

I think they're probably saving Kingdom and Universe for a rainy day

by calling it Super Nintendo Land they haven't used a name that would be better for a game
Like, I get why they may have chosen the name, but that doesn’t mean they should have called it that if it truly is meant to only be Mario themed. It’s kinda false advertising and only leads to disappointment from fans who were expecting something closer to Nintendo Land.

There's Pikmin in there tho
I already noted that:
Though I’d hardly count that as anything more than a minor cameo, obviously. There are no Pikmin rides, no Pikmin Power-Up Bands, no Olimar mascot suit, and—as far as I’m aware—no Pikmin items in the shop or café. It’s all strictly Mario universe stuff, nothing more.

Weighing in on the "Super Nintendo World" naming scheme, I feel like Universal's goal with it is to treat it just like "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" - if the initial world is successful, then Super Nintendo World becomes the banner name while each individual world gets a subtitle. So, like, Super Nintendo World - Mushroom Kingdom, or Super Nintendo World - Hyrule or something like that. I guess to keep the brand open enough for expansion if they want but keep it closed if it doesn't work out? The IP based plan for these parks nowadays is on a per-land basis, so sadly there's no way we'd ever get to see a full Nintendo park.

As for the actual news? I'll believe it when I see it. Still waiting to go to the Osaka park!

I’d say that the Theme Park was first there as an idea. The whole park is clearly inspired by 3D World and Mariokart 8 visually. Doing a movie with Universal was an obvious step after that. In the end we don‘t know what was there first of course, but I would not call the park a tie-in, it‘s a much higher risk than a movie.

If Nintendo World is a success, I see no reason why they would not expand it with other IPs. Even though Splatoon would not be a likely pick.

Mario is the flagship IP, if the general public don't show up for it then they aren't showing up for less recognizable IP like Zelda or Animal Crossing. Leading with Mario always made the most sense, it would be nonsense for them to have done otherwise.

Maybe they could've done the 2nd land to be something other than DK but DK needs the win more than the other franchises at this point with how neglected it is from NCL. Universal Creative having an idea for a minecart rollercoaster seems to have been the driving force behind that IP pick which I'm thankful for.

Anyways we already know what IP were in the initial pitch to Nintendo from Universal, and unsurprisingly it was a majority of Mario, with DK getting a coaster and Zelda getting a theater show. Doing separate lands for each IP will get us better attractions in the long run than them all being fit in the same spot.

Last edited:
Mario is the flagship IP, if the general public don't show up for it then they aren't showing up for less recognizable IP like Zelda or Animal Crossing. Leading with Mario always made the most sense, it would be nonsense for them to have done otherwise.

Maybe they could've done the 2nd land to be something other than DK but DK needs the win more than the other franchises at this point with how neglected it is from NCL. Universal Creative having an idea for a minecart rollercoaster seems to have been the driving force behind that IP pick which I'm thankful for.

Anyways we already know what IP were in the initial pitch to Nintendo from Universal, and unsurprisingly it was a majority of Mario, with DK getting a coaster and Zelda getting a theater show. Doing separate lands for each IP will get us better attractions in the long run than them all being fit in the same spot.
The problem with that is…how can the park expand to include more IPs in the long run when, apparently, the Hollywood location is already cramped for space and won’t be getting the Yoshi ride, and probably won’t get the Donkey Kong expansion either? Unless I’m missing something here, it seems like that’s just it; there’s no room for any more. That’s why I’d have preferred them to squeeze what they can into the space they’re given rather than use it all on exclusively Mario. Hell, even just having some non-Mario Nintendo-themed stuff at the shop would be something easy they could do that could go a long way towards appeasing fans who want something more than just Mario from Super Nintendo World, but they’re not even doing that.

The problem with that is…how can the park expand to include more IPs in the long run when, apparently, the Hollywood location is already cramped for space and won’t be getting the Yoshi ride, and probably won’t get the Donkey Kong expansion either? Unless I’m missing something here, it seems like that’s just it; there’s no room for any more. That’s why I’d have preferred them to squeeze what they can into the space they’re given rather than use it all on exclusively Mario. Hell, even just having some non-Mario Nintendo-themed stuff at the shop would be something easy they could do that could go a long way towards appeasing fans who want something more than just Mario from Super Nintendo World, but they’re not even doing that.

Hollywood only ever getting 1 Nintendo ride highlights my point though. If you get 1 ride you can't use it on something other than Mario. The limiting factor for them was that they don't have enough space in the park to fairly represent everything.

I'm not sure how they could satisfy every Nintendo fan here unless they decided to not do the Mushoom Kingdom and instead did a Smash Bros. land and put every character in the ride there. But then you have to ask yourself if themeing a really tiny land around Smash would be that good of a draw to the general public to have the non-IP specific look of Battlefield or a Smash Colosseum over iconic landmarks like Peach's Castle or Bowser's Castle.

I agree with you that they could expand the merch variety to include other IP. There was a rumor about them opening a Nintendo Store at CityWalk in Hollywood at one point that would've had all the IP in it. Would be nice if that gets built one day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom