• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble |ST| Like a Monkey: Infinite Banana

Yeah this is very easily the best Monkey Ball game since the originals. To be fair the bar is in hell so that's not saying much, but I'm having a blast.

The Spin Dash does turn a lot of stages into "figure what you need to bump into to skip most of the level" and I expect that to be somewhat controversial. Obviously shortcuts and weird bumps to skip sections of levels has always been a thing in Monkey Ball but I guess it feels a little less earned when you have an instant boost button, but man I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy this pseudo-puzzle.

They attempted to combat this with the Golden Banana / Banana Collection missions in each level so you're still "forced" to engage with the regular level design if you wanna 100% the game but I imagine people will care mostly about the time attack missions.

Put a bit of time into this. The difficulty takes a bit to ramp up and it's kinda talky/cutscene-heavy for a Monkey Ball game, but I'm having fun

Also after like an hour I remembered the Gamecube adapter exists. Plugging that thing in (and mapping the spin dash to the big ol' A button) feels pretty right, ngl

Midway into World 4 right now. This game rules, definitely up there alongside SMB1 and SMB2 as things are right now, I feel like I'm generally enjoying the levels more than SMB2's Story Mode for a direct comparison of structure. I was just expecting this game to probably be alongside Touch & Roll and Banana Splitz as "these are pretty good too, just not as good as the original 2 and a half games". Glad it's blowing past my expectations.

The performance is a little spotty in the Adventure Mode, but it's not enough to tank my enjoyment here. Nothing improved hardware can't fix, so, excited for that. Hopefully they get rid of the 30fps cap on multiplayer when Switch 2 comes around, just played a round to unlock Bad-Boon, and it's fine enough at 30 I guess, but it's pretty jarring when the rest of the game is much smoother, even with some hitches here and there.

Yeah this is pretty much becoming the ST organically anyway.

I just got my copy but won't be able to post any impressions until tonight. Reading the ones here has been good!

Last edited:
done. will add basic info the the OP tomorrow. let me know if you have any suggestions for subtitles, preferably something with banana and monkey puns :)
I was about to suggest "Let's get ready to RUMBLE!" but the official marketing beat me to it.

...I'm still suggesting it.

Guys this game is magic. Every now and again, I start up a game and just have so much proper, outright fun everything else sinks away and I remember why I do all of this. I'm obsessed. Played about five hours, got through five or so world and then went back through most of them trying to do all the missions. Not because I'm chasing 100%, but because they seemed fun.

done. will add basic info the the OP tomorrow. let me know if you have any suggestions for subtitles, preferably something with banana and monkey puns :)

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble |ST| Like a Monkey: Infinite Banana

(reference to the shared dev team)

Beat the main campaign, it's way better than I was expecting. The first two are still far and the way the best but this one feels like a solid third entry.

Played through the first two worlds in Story mode, going for 100% I think. Right now, I feel pretty safe in saying that this is the best game since 2, at least from a single-player perspective.

Honestly, the dash is really fun. I was worried it would feel gimmicky (and in some stages where they want you to use it, it kind of does) but using it to get shortcuts is incredibly satisfying.

Finished the first three worlds and I gotta echo most others in here so far, it's a blast. I think I'm going to really enjoy this SMB's singleplayer.

The online multiplayer seems to be mostly bots as there were a lot of random YanYans with random letters for their names. It seems like a nice distraction for a while but whew that framerate. It's still fun though. Will jump in there more.

I wonder if the single-player got the proper focus and polish due to unfortunate lack of being able to get more time? As Zack Reese said earlier, they're adding more multiplayer stuff, so I wonder if they're using that to "finish it" so to speak. I do hope the performance in single-player at minimum is eventually polished to perfection. As a ground-up Switch-exclusive it's odd this is even a problem as you'd think they'd have built every nook and cranny to properly accommodate any limitation to get it at a flawless 60fps, especially with Blitz HD and Mania under the team's belt for prior experience already. Don't suppose Unity is a cause as that historically has had issues on Switch? Honestly very few have managed to perfect the engine on Switch to my knowledge, really just Playtonic with Yooka-Laylee and Moon Studios (company culture aside...) with the Ori games. Actually fittingly 8ing with Zoids Wild Blast Unleashed ran at a flawless 60fps IIRC as well but that was a very small-scale arena brawler.

I have only played through World 1 so far but I am very much enjoying the game so far! I also tried an online battle yesterday (it was a race to the end with items I believe) and that was very fun but I do hope that they fix some of the performance issues in the game. It is weird that it has those performance issues in the multiplayer but I have not ran into any at the single-player level (I have to assume it is because of the amount of characters)

Finished the first three worlds and I gotta echo most others in here so far, it's a blast. I think I'm going to really enjoy this SMB's singleplayer.

The online multiplayer seems to be mostly bots as there were a lot of random YanYans with random letters for their names. It seems like a nice distraction for a while but whew that framerate. It's still fun though. Will jump in there more.
Yeah I also seem to be getting nearly all bots

… seeing Sonic in the multiplayer is making me want the pass ugh

Doing the skip on Spider Web with GonGon is kinda challenging lol.

I did get it done after many retries.

Last edited:
Beat all 200 levels! Lots of fun, especially as the difficulty ramped up.

Holy shit Baby is OP lol, I almost want to play it over again with a new character to amp up the difficulty

I wonder if the single-player got the proper focus and polish due to unfortunate lack of being able to get more time? As Zack Reese said earlier, they're adding more multiplayer stuff, so I wonder if they're using that to "finish it" so to speak. I do hope the performance in single-player at minimum is eventually polished to perfection. As a ground-up Switch-exclusive it's odd this is even a problem as you'd think they'd have built every nook and cranny to properly accommodate any limitation to get it at a flawless 60fps, especially with Blitz HD and Mania under the team's belt for prior experience already. Don't suppose Unity is a cause as that historically has had issues on Switch? Honestly very few have managed to perfect the engine on Switch to my knowledge, really just Playtonic with Yooka-Laylee and Moon Studios (company culture aside...) with the Ori games. Actually fittingly 8ing with Zoids Wild Blast Unleashed ran at a flawless 60fps IIRC as well but that was a very small-scale arena brawler.
The world ends with you neo switches near 60fps docked and handheld mode from what I played of the demo

The world ends with you neo switches near 60fps docked and handheld mode from what I played of the demo
The point being stable 60fps, not whether it's at 60fps at all, and NTWEWY on Switch was apparently pathetically unstable, despite (presumably) being built for the system in mind by hand who've been very experienced with Switch and other Nintendo platforms.

Finished world 9 and love it so far the only stage I had issues with is 8-2? those tiny platforms at the end will be the bane of my existence

Damn, I wasn't considering getting it cause I was affraid this was gonna be a stinker, but reading the reactions here, I might buy it. I'm always down for some good Monkey Ball.

I am a woman who thinks the new Super Monkey Ball is her favourite so far this year. If I said this on Twitter I'd get 30 dudes saying "lol that's nice love hope you enjoy the second game you play this year", "OH YOU LIKE VIDEO GAMES NAME EVERY BUTTON" and so on but I'd just shake my head softly and know that I am right.

I can tell I love this game because I can just spend hours trying to do a cool skip that I feel like is probably possible and not get demotivated.

Back
Top Bottom