• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble |ST| Like a Monkey: Infinite Banana

If I want to play this as early as possible with a digital copy, what would be the best way to go about it? Do I create a Japanese Nintendo account for my Switch? Will it even accept my Canadian credit card?

Rrrrgggghhh I want to play monkey ball NOW!!!1
basically this, but jp eshop only accepts japanese credit cards, so you'll need to buy some digital codes for the jp eshop.

Also I'm still mad amazon MX still has it for the 25th of july

basically this, but jp eshop only accepts japanese credit cards, so you'll need to buy some digital codes for the jp eshop.

Also I'm still mad amazon MX still has it for the 25th of july
Not completely true, Japanese eshop also accepts cards from regions without eShop. But I imagine for most people here that doesn't apply.

I've only played the first two SMB games. I particularly loved the soundtracks of those games. Do the newer games have a similar style or is it totally different?
Kinda? The series has spread out from basically only Drum & Bass music (in fact everything from like 2005-2010 avoided synths as much as possible), but a couple tracks from the past 3 games have still gone for that vibe, including this one.
The series is a lot like Sonic in that it's musical identity is split up into "eras" I would say. All of it's still really great, but if you're just looking for one thing you may not get it. From the previews, if you're a fan of Sonic Frontiers Cyberspace music, you'll probably like the music here.

Reviews are out. Doesn't seem to be scoring particularly high but seems to be mostly due to the Multiplayer modes being bad

Well that should've been expected tbh.

Buy it for the single player. And I will when it's $24.99-29.99 this holiday.
75 is a decent score. Seems like teh single player stuff is good

So basically, a nit for performance (mostly multiplayer) and a nit for the multiplayer modes... but the single player looks AMAZING. Gorgeous themes, diverse level layouts, EX levels.... preordering!

EDIT: multiplayer sounds light on content... I wonder if more will come with the free season passes?

from VGC's review:
The game technically does run at 60 frames per second – the clock and various other effects (such as rotating bananas) update 60 times every second, so this is a 60fps game by definition. However, on every sixth frame the ball doesn’t move at all, no matter how fast it’s travelling, meaning the game is essentially playing at a strange 50fps rate with subtle constant stutters (not to mention the actual pauses at times during busier moments). It’s something that happens so quickly that you might not notice it while playing, but it does make the game look and feel slightly less smooth than previous Monkey Ball titles, to the extent that long-time fans of the series will feel something slightly off.
That ... seems like a bug they should be able to fix, no?

I preordered my copy, it's crazy how June 25th crept up like this.

from VGC's review:

That ... seems like a bug they should be able to fix, no?

Yeah that should be. Pretty weird issue that happened, it kind of reminds me of that one frame issue from MK8 on the Wii U.

Last edited:
I can't help but pre order this to support it at launch, though if this is the same game coming to Apple Arcade and that happens quickly enough I will feel the fool. Ah well - this belongs on Switch.

Thanks for this, I was actually thinking this is how the critics reviewed BM but couldn't recall.

I'm not really sure if most of the SMB fandom prefers multiplayer > singleplayer for these but I've been a singleplayer focused SMB person. I'll still try the multiplayer even if it is just a bunch of shallow modes lol.
A lot of people hold onto their monkey target childhood. I am indeed one of those people but I will totally buy this sometime down the line.

I get that Monkey Target has fans, but I feel like people act like it's necessary and I'll never understand why.
Touch & Roll's one of the best games in the series and doesn't have it, and I never felt like it was missing either. Maybe cause it had Monkey Mini Golf which is actually the best Super Monkey Ball mini game.

I get that Monkey Target has fans, but I feel like people act like it's necessary and I'll never understand why.
Touch & Roll's one of the best games in the series and doesn't have it, and I never felt like it was missing either. Maybe cause it had Monkey Mini Golf which is actually the best Super Monkey Ball mini game.
I mean there are people who probably spent more time playing Monkey Target than the actual game. I probably did back in the day even though I beat the games haha.

I mean there are people who probably spent more time playing Monkey Target than the actual game. I probably did back in the day even though I beat the games haha.
Personally as a main game guy myself, I just personally really don't see how 1 mode with usually 3 maps wouldn't get boring compared to getting better at like 100-ish levels. Or even the minigames with more stuff to them. Even for something using the flying physics of Target, I thought Monkey Dogfight in SMB2 was way more fun.

i LOVE Monkey Target and bowling and billiards and whatnot and spent a lot of time playing them but I agree, for me the core of the game being good is much more important than it having good minigames. This isn't to say they should never try again and it's certainly a con compared to the originals, but if the only complaint I have is "oh man I wish they had monkey target" that's already a pretty amazing game imo :p

Did they ever reveal the 2 extra characters? I'd really only buy this if I could play as Kiryu tbh
One of them is Dr Bad-Boon. Majima does have costume parts though as DLC.
GQxfXCLWoAAkogm

Last edited:
Day one update "fixes framerate", whatever that means.
it should be this

The game technically does run at 60 frames per second – the clock and various other effects (such as rotating bananas) update 60 times every second, so this is a 60fps game by definition. However, on every sixth frame the ball doesn’t move at all, no matter how fast it’s travelling, meaning the game is essentially playing at a strange 50fps rate with subtle constant stutters (not to mention the actual pauses at times during busier moments). It’s something that happens so quickly that you might not notice it while playing, but it does make the game look and feel slightly less smooth than previous Monkey Ball titles, to the extent that long-time fans of the series will feel something slightly off.

Do you mean the multiplayer is still 30, or the hitching bug on 60 still occurs?
Hitching on singleplayer. Not sure if it's specifically that bug or good old fashioned framedrops but feels chopier than Banana Mania or Banana Blitz on singleplayer.

The framerate isn't good even with the day 1 patch. At least in handheld mide
Dang that sucks. C'mon Sega do better!

I think I'll cancel and just wait until it's fixed. Thanks for the impressions.

Edit: Can't be cancelled, welp! Guess I'll see how rough it is lol.

Last edited:
World one down. The game made mighty good first impressions- smooth, polished, cheerful. The redemption story of this franchise has been great to see, step by step with these new releases.

My only nit so far is the name of the main collectibles… OOPart??
Edit: oh and the repetitive voice acting

Oh, and it’s wild how the switch continues to blow my mind 7 years into release. Cozying up in bed with a new competent mainline SMB?!? Could not have convinced me of any of this back in 2016 lol

So far… really wonderful. The devs clearly have a lot of passion for this franchise, and it’s great to see that reflected in the game. I love the menu where you can see your monkeys chilling on the beach… it’s surprisingly satisfying and calming. The new battle modes are great (at least the ones I’ve tried), and I’ll be the first to say that I prefer these over traditional minigames.

My main concern right now lies in the framerate and slight jankiness while playing. I’m usually no “framerate snob” (for lack of a better term), but there are some noticeable dips that take me out of the experience. This is especially bad when playing online. I really hope this can be fixed in a patch, because it’s the only thing holding back an otherwise wonderful experience.

All in all… I’m loving it so far and would highly recommend it if you can overlook the framerate issue. I’m midway through World 4, and I can tell I’m going to get a loooot of playtime out of this!

If I want to play this as early as possible with a digital copy, what would be the best way to go about it? Do I create a Japanese Nintendo account for my Switch? Will it even accept my Canadian credit card?

Rrrrgggghhh I want to play monkey ball NOW!!!1
FYI I buy games from japanese Nintendo eshop on my original account, you don't have to create a different one. I prefer it this why so I have everything under one account. The process of changing countries is easy as long as you don't have remaining funds or active subscription renewal. I buy yen cards from amazon.co.jp, redeem then use the funds to buy the games (mostly NSO vouchers). If you need to empty remaining funds to change country back you find a cheap game like 100-200 and use a combination of the remaining funds and gold points.

I've only played the first two SMB games. I particularly loved the soundtracks of those games. Do the newer games have a similar style or is it totally different?
I remember the first game being praised so I bought it but sucked at it, ended up playing the mini games mostly - it had a golf like I think? I keep forgetting I owned that game once lol.

Last edited:
Just snuck in some multiplayer before work and... the systems all feel great, but that 30fps is a hard sell. I'll get used to it I suppose.

Glad that it has a harmless free season pass and that the seasons are short!

Happy Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble Release Day to all of you! I am very excited to play this once I get the time today!! :)

Regardless of the warts on this release, I can't believe the path this will hopefully set the SMB series on.

If the rumours are true about an Apple Arcade port, it's hopefully going to be near a financial success at launch. Add in a Game Pass or PS+ deal once ported and the series future should be bright regardless of sales!

So how are the physics feeling? Banana mania was horrible for me.

Obviously not gonna feel exactly the same as the GameCube but is it at least similar?

Back
Top Bottom